Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.08.2019, 13:53
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,940
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,856 Times in 5,510 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Suggest a new car to me

After my car has been hit for the 3rd time in less then a year it may be time to look around for something more visible!! I'm forced to take avoiding action at least twice a day as my current car (black audi tt) seems to be totally invisible - I wish this was a joke but its really not, my last car (new shape mustang) never had these issues, in fact I only remember it ever being cut up once in 5 years!! no near misses, no damage.

if only the mustang didn't use 11l per 100km or was actually usable in snow

while the interior of the tt is gorgeous (the reason I bought it) the stress of having to 2nd, 3rd, 4th guess everyone else on the road is too much, did I mention its invisible??

Really I don't know what is wrong with people??? I can only liken it to riding a motorbike, people see you, look right at you, pause, then pull out right in front of it??? regardless of the fact I'm doing the speed limit, maybe its an audi hate thing going on.


Requirement

must get good mileage - 7l per 100km max
Must have a really nice interior, we're talking leather, ergonomic, quiet
All the toys
all the safety gear
< 2.0 engine

electric is still not feasible for my journey
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.08.2019, 14:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,167
Groaned at 243 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 15,141 Times in 5,252 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

An old Mercedes 200D.
Interior is nice, good fuel consumption and so slow that you will never be able to overtake
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 13.08.2019, 14:14
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,940
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,856 Times in 5,510 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
An old Mercedes 200D.
Interior is nice, good fuel consumption and so slow that you will never be able to overtake
NEW car, NEW lol

don't want to be messing around fixing old bangers anymore
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13.08.2019, 14:15
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,798
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,081 Times in 3,036 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
After my car has been hit for the 3rd time in less then a year it may be time to look around for something more visible!! I'm forced to take avoiding action at least twice a day as my current car (black audi tt) seems to be totally invisible - I wish this was a joke but its really not, my last car (new shape mustang) never had these issues, in fact I only remember it ever being cut up once in 5 years!! no near misses, no damage.

if only the mustang didn't use 11l per 100km or was actually usable in snow

while the interior of the tt is gorgeous (the reason I bought it) the stress of having to 2nd, 3rd, 4th guess everyone else on the road is too much, did I mention its invisible??

Really I don't know what is wrong with people??? I can only liken it to riding a motorbike, people see you, look right at you, pause, then pull out right in front of it??? regardless of the fact I'm doing the speed limit, maybe its an audi hate thing going on.


Requirement

must get good mileage - 7l per 100km max
Must have a really nice interior, we're talking leather, ergonomic, quiet
All the toys
all the safety gear
< 2.0 engine

electric is still not feasible for my journey

Jeder Raudi fährt Audi. But if you want a car with more visibility then go for this maybe.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...60622-216-8646
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:04
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,948
Groaned at 1,693 Times in 1,295 Posts
Thanked 31,285 Times in 14,956 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Skoda.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:05
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,940
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,856 Times in 5,510 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
Skoda.

Tom
over my dead body!! you'll never see me in a skoda - ever!!!

Ban him mods, ban him!!!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:11
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,463
Groaned at 413 Times in 326 Posts
Thanked 18,486 Times in 7,709 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

A French car?

Peugeot get the highest results for reliability of all manufacturers (which was your main criteria for never buying French, or BMW minis in your previous posts).


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:13
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,940
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,856 Times in 5,510 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
A French car?

Peugeot get the highest results for reliability of all manufacturers (which was your main criteria for never buying French, or BMW minis in your previous posts).


ban him too

no french, italian, bmw or skoda
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:14
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,962
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,051 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Electric is not feasible, or you refuse to accept that electric is feasible?

Go test drive a tesla if you are in the market for a new car, perhaps you will change your mind.

Otherwise, it is my well considered view that Audi's still have the best overall interior (unless you can afford Bentley money - you don't say). Second to that it's a toss up between Merc and BMW, perhaps with volvo in fourth place. The latest merc interiors, even on the A Class, are about as advaced as they come but I'm not quite sold on the styling. The newest BMW interiors run close to that, especially if you are a fan of iDrive, which you don't seem to be.

Still, I recommend you to take a tesla out for a spin for fun.

p.s how much more 'mileage' :-) can you possibly get out of your little accident! threads galore. do you have PTSD?
__________________
krlock3.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,714
Groaned at 325 Times in 259 Posts
Thanked 6,374 Times in 3,210 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

A nice holiday in Sweden and than to drive back in your cheaper import Volvo V90?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:18
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,940
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,856 Times in 5,510 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
Electric is not feasible, or you refuse to accept that electric is feasible?

Go test drive a tesla if you are in the market for a new car, perhaps you will change your mind.

Otherwise, it is my well considered view that Audi's still have the best overall interior (unless you can afford Bentley money - you don't say). Second to that it's a toss up between Merc and BMW, perhaps with volvo in fourth place. The latest merc interiors, even on the A Class, are about as advaced as they come but I'm not quite sold on the styling. The newest BMW interiors run close to that.

Still, I recommend you to take a tesla out for a spin for fun.

p.s how much more mileage can you possibly get out of your little accident! threads galore. do you have PTSD?
Its the range that's the issue, Tesla's are the only ones that (on paper) would be able to handle my commute, do they do a bentley < 2l?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:21
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,962
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,051 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Well, Tesla's are definitely < 2L

If nothing else, you can then open another car related thread telling us about your experiences
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:31
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,984
Groaned at 286 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 15,520 Times in 8,617 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
Skoda.

Tom
Nissan Qashai gets rave reviews on the forum
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:32
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,940
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,856 Times in 5,510 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
Nissan Qashai gets rave reviews on the forum
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Glattal
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Privet is considered knowledgeablePrivet is considered knowledgeablePrivet is considered knowledgeable
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
After my car has been hit for the 3rd time in less then a year it may be time to look around for something more visible!! I'm forced to take avoiding action at least twice a day as my current car (black audi tt) seems to be totally invisible - I wish this was a joke but its really not, my last car (new shape mustang) never had these issues, in fact I only remember it ever being cut up once in 5 years!! no near misses, no damage.

if only the mustang didn't use 11l per 100km or was actually usable in snow

while the interior of the tt is gorgeous (the reason I bought it) the stress of having to 2nd, 3rd, 4th guess everyone else on the road is too much, did I mention its invisible??

Really I don't know what is wrong with people??? I can only liken it to riding a motorbike, people see you, look right at you, pause, then pull out right in front of it??? regardless of the fact I'm doing the speed limit, maybe its an audi hate thing going on.


Requirement

must get good mileage - 7l per 100km max
Must have a really nice interior, we're talking leather, ergonomic, quiet
All the toys
all the safety gear
< 2.0 engine

electric is still not feasible for my journey
Save some dough and wrap your slab in nice neon yellow, and put some nice silver reflection stripes as racing stripes on it -> Problem solved

Seriously, some vital information is missing:
> how many KM do you drive per year?
> are you looking for something that offers more space?
> do you need AWD?
> do you do road trips, or do you need it mainly for commuting?
> do you drive mainly in the city or out in the countryside?
> and most important: is the car a tool or a statement for you?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Privet for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:37
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,940
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 13,856 Times in 5,510 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
> how many KM do you drive per year?
> are you looking for something that offers more space?
> do you need AWD?
> do you do road trips, or do you need it mainly for commuting?
> do you drive mainly in the city or out in the countryside?
> and most important: is the car a tool or a statement for you?
a lot
no
no
commuting
motorway
this one, a tool
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:38
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,677
Groaned at 842 Times in 575 Posts
Thanked 9,536 Times in 4,521 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

CLS 63, you’ll shave hours off your commute and they’re fantastic for pissing off Swiss tractor drivers, not that you usually see their reactions with all the dust !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:41
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,677
Groaned at 842 Times in 575 Posts
Thanked 9,536 Times in 4,521 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
> and most important: is the car a tool or a statement for you?
I think the tool is inside the car

Last edited by 3Wishes; 13.08.2019 at 17:53. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:44
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,196 Times in 2,164 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggest a new car to me

The challenge with black is that it blends in with the road and is terrible with anything but the brightest lighting conditions.

How about asking another question. If you like the car, why not just have it re-painted (in CH or D if cheaper).

It is not that tough for a good body shop to "pop" off the panels, paint them as a group and put them back on.

The best compromise colour is SILVER (why not go for a nice metallic). Good during the day, good in early evening /low light and night-time and good in bad weather (rain/snow). The metallic paint (lots of good examples in the Merc line-up and others) will also help with visibility. To be clear, we are talking silver and not grey colour.
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try(ing). Yoda

Last edited by Verbier; 13.08.2019 at 15:55. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 13.08.2019, 15:47
starmir's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kanton Zurich
Posts: 372
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 359 Times in 159 Posts
starmir has an excellent reputationstarmir has an excellent reputationstarmir has an excellent reputationstarmir has an excellent reputation
Re: Suggest a new car to me

Quote:
View Post
do they do a bentley < 2l?
Yes... it's called a skoda superb
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank starmir for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggest me a travel card anishsha Transportation/driving 3 23.01.2018 12:37
Suggest Me an Iron and Ironing Board Ope Daily life 6 11.06.2012 18:00
Suggest to me a projector (beemer for you swiss) bigblue2 TV/internet/telephone 63 18.04.2012 16:40
Travel agent needed...suggest a few to me please TimC Transportation/driving 2 16.04.2010 13:08
Plz suggest an place for me in Zurich brutus_21ch Housing in general 14 27.03.2008 12:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0