Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.09.2019, 14:15
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,336
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,312 Times in 573 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
EU Export Plates

Quick question - does anyone know if a car must have a COC (certificate of conformity) to get export plates in the EU?

I'm looking to buy a car in the EU, and export it (away from Europe), but need temporary export plates...

The dealer is pushing to get the car shipped, while I would rather drive it out...

M.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.09.2019, 14:32
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Export Plates

The COC might be needed to get local plates at final destination. To get export plates you normally just need the old registration papers, the registration papers act as proof of conformity to local regulations otherwise they would have never been issued. Problem if the old registration plates are from a country A and you wish to get export plates from country B.

Or are we talking about a new, never registered car?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.09.2019, 16:25
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,336
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,312 Times in 573 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Export Plates

Quote:
View Post
The COC might be needed to get local plates at final destination. To get export plates you normally just need the old registration papers, the registration papers act as proof of conformity to local regulations otherwise they would have never been issued. Problem if the old registration plates are from a country A and you wish to get export plates from country B.

Or are we talking about a new, never registered car?
Thanks - but it's a new car (no old registration papers).
Destination doesn't require (nor recognize) COC; it's in Africa.

The vehicle in question does not have type approval in Europe...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.09.2019, 17:55
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Export Plates

Quote:
View Post
The vehicle in question does not have type approval in Europe...
If it has no type approval, than now wonder it has no CoC. And only now makes your question some sense. Why should you be able to get European plates for an non European approved type?

The only possibility to drive such a vehicle might be a dealer plate. But such plates are normally only valid in the issuing country and might only be used by the dealer and its employees.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.09.2019, 07:13
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,336
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,312 Times in 573 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Export Plates

Quote:
View Post
If it has no type approval, than now wonder it has no CoC. And only now makes your question some sense. Why should you be able to get European plates for an non European approved type?

The only possibility to drive such a vehicle might be a dealer plate. But such plates are normally only valid in the issuing country and might only be used by the dealer and its employees.
Thanks again

Looks like I need to change choice of car. Darn.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.08.2020, 14:31
fatih.erol's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 391
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 193 Times in 106 Posts
fatih.erol has made some interesting contributions
Re: EU Export Plates

can one get the export plates himself, while exporting the car? or, shall the car dealer be present as the previous owner?


a bit of searching suggests that this process includes new registration, export plates (including insurance), and road tax, which seems to be around 100-150 EUR in Germany for a hatchback. though, the dealer mentions numbers like 350 EUR. anyone has experience about this?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14.08.2020, 14:58
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Export Plates

Quote:
View Post
can one get the export plates himself, while exporting the car? or, shall the car dealer be present as the previous owner?
Sure, other wise it would be very cumbersome. The previous owner is normally not and on case of Germany and Switzerland also nowhere registered.

Quote:
View Post
a bit of searching suggests that this process includes new registration, export plates (including insurance), and road tax, which seems to be around 100-150 EUR in Germany for a hatchback. though, the dealer mentions numbers like 350 EUR. anyone has experience about this?
Looks like your numbers are about correct. The biggest issue is the vehicle tax which has to be paid for one month and AFAIK this can only be done as a direct debit from a German bank account. You might try SEPA-Lastschrift with a Swiss bank account, but German Customs might already reject a Swiss IBAN.

https://assets.adac.de/image/upload/...hen_kgxjjj.pdf
https://versicherung-kurzzeitkennzei...ntragen/kosten

The administration part is the big PITA of the whole process and you have pay here some Euros and there some Euros. In Switzerland it is much easier, pop into the SAN/StVA request an export plate, pay, drive. One place one bill.
__________________
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Export from CH to EU grnfish Transportation/driving 5 28.08.2019 10:54
Export car to non-EU country ritzdank Transportation/driving 11 21.11.2018 11:00
A Question about export plates Jocksoft Transportation/driving 19 21.10.2016 18:04
import car from the US with export plates ? simpa Transportation/driving 4 28.10.2014 09:56
How to export a Motorbike from UK to CH/DE plates Miss-Lizzy Transportation/driving 3 18.12.2009 08:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0