Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.11.2019, 22:37
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mahbod.heidari has no particular reputation at present
can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Hello guys

I just saw a red flash driving in the intersection below :

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.5239...7i13312!8i6656


https://ibb.co/2M5y9xK
I was on Avenue de Chablais going from Malley to EPFL.

my speed was normal so the only possibility is that I passed the red light (which I highly doubt). How can one tell if it was flashing me on red or the car passing in the oposite direction?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.11.2019, 22:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
kay444 has earned some respectkay444 has earned some respect
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Are you sure it wasn’t one of the red flashing lights from the road crossing at the metro tracks? This sometimes gets me from the corner of my eye... looking like it’s from the traffic camera...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kay444 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 25.11.2019, 22:52
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,809
Groaned at 83 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 16,356 Times in 7,274 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Yes they do. Specially red light cameras as the identity of driver is important if it had been red for more than 2 seconds. Up to 2 seconds it is an anonymous fine of CHF 250.

Wait for the bill and see. Maybe it was not your lane which had the green light. Maz be it was a car on a other lane which triggered it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 25.11.2019, 23:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mahbod.heidari has no particular reputation at present
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Are you sure it wasn’t one of the red flashing lights from the road crossing at the metro tracks? This sometimes gets me from the corner of my eye... looking like it’s from the traffic camera...
No I am quiet sure it was the flash.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.11.2019, 23:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mahbod.heidari has no particular reputation at present
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Yes they do. Specially red light cameras as the identity of driver is important if it had been red for more than 2 seconds. Up to 2 seconds it is an anonymous fine of CHF 250.

Wait for the bill and see. Maybe it was not your lane which had the green light. Maz be it was a car on a other lane which triggered it.
Since there are two cameras in that junction (one for each direction), how can one tell which one is responsible for each direction? the one in the front or the one in the back?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.11.2019, 23:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,935
Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 990 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

I thought the flashes were pure bright white light.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.11.2019, 00:04
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,829
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,519 Times in 5,593 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Yes they can. Got flashed yesterday in a tunnel coming down from the Brünig
I was flashed from the front, then immediately again from behind. It was definitely me as I was all alone in that tunnel.

I was not in a hurry, car just seemed pleased to head home. LOL. So I expect the fine to be affordable, if the tolerance is of a kind amount, it might even be cheap. The only downside was that no more risks could be taken on the rest of the way (don't want to be proven a habitual speeder, do I).
__________________
never ever make assumptions
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.11.2019, 00:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mahbod.heidari has no particular reputation at present
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Yes they can. Got flashed yesterday in a tunnel coming down from the Brünig
I was flashed from the front, then immediately again from behind. It was definitely me as I was all alone in that tunnel.

I was not in a hurry, car just seemed pleased to head home. LOL. So I expect the fine to be affordable, if the tolerance is of a kind amount, it might even be cheap. The only downside was that no more risks could be taken on the rest of the way (don't want to be proven a habitual speeder, do I).
for speed cameras I know they do also in front. But was not sure about red light radar.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.11.2019, 00:38
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,829
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,519 Times in 5,593 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
for speed cameras I know they do also in front. But was not sure about red light radar.
Mine yesterday were red.

Flashing white in a tunnel could cause pretty bad accidents, I suspect, as it sure would give you a scare.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.11.2019, 09:44
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,146
Groaned at 897 Times in 614 Posts
Thanked 10,151 Times in 4,834 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Since there are two cameras in that junction (one for each direction), how can one tell which one is responsible for each direction? the one in the front or the one in the back?

Don't worry aboput such trivialitiesd, the Police will easily be able to work it out
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 26.11.2019, 10:29
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,829
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,519 Times in 5,593 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Don't worry aboput such trivialitiesd, the Police will easily be able to work it out
While you got a point, I had a situation like that once at Albisgüetli, where I knew of one camera but one in front of me, which I never noticed before, flashed me.
There were three possibilities also: 1) It flashed someone else, yes please. 2) I crossed the red light, not a good thought but possible as it turned to yellow just when I past it but yellow is not for stepping on the brakes like a nutter the moment one sees it - that's why it's yellow. 3) I've been speeding, not so good but better than possibility two.
I too pondered about it, I live in the sticks, I need my car.

Turned out I was slightly faster than 50km/h (probably because I saw the yellow from the corner of my eye, which explains I was flashed from the front, in the middle of the crossing probably), I think the fine was Fr. 40.00.

Depending on how often they check that radar, it can take long until you know. To follow Today only's advice is not a bad idea.

If it makes you feel better: I was once zapped in a tunnel in Lucerne (very dumb, I've know for decades where to expect them, so yes, I was annoyed about myself) and I never heard anything about it. As it's about two years ago I'm sure I won't anymore either.
__________________
never ever make assumptions
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.11.2019, 19:07
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,075
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,093 Times in 481 Posts
DantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputation
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
If it makes you feel better: I was once zapped in a tunnel in Lucerne (very dumb, I've know for decades where to expect them, so yes, I was annoyed about myself) and I never heard anything about it..
Interesting. Years ago I thought I got zapped in a tunnel and when I asked about it here, I was told that they don't put speed cameras in tunnels. As I was on a motorcycle, the forward flash either a) didn't recognize me b) was for someone else or c) wasn't really a speed camera flash.

Oh well - so far no tickets in tunnels that I know of!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.11.2019, 19:28
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,829
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,519 Times in 5,593 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Interesting. Years ago I thought I got zapped in a tunnel and when I asked about it here, I was told that they don't put speed cameras in tunnels. As I was on a motorcycle, the forward flash either a) didn't recognize me b) was for someone else or c) wasn't really a speed camera flash.

Oh well - so far no tickets in tunnels that I know of!
I don't know how long "years ago" is exactly here but yes, they do.

Apparently they also have systems which take photos of you at two different points, then check based on the time it took you to get from one point to the other how fast you've been driving. I'm not sure they're really in use, I figure they are more expensive and basically it has to take pictures of innocent people (at least the first one )) which violates the data privacy act.
Just flashing us in red is definitely the easiest way.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.11.2019, 19:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,760
Groaned at 263 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 9,304 Times in 4,898 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Apparently they also have systems which take photos of you at two different points, then check based on the time it took you to get from one point to the other how fast you've been driving. I'm not sure they're really in use, I figure they are more expensive and basically it has to take pictures of innocent people (at least the first one )) which violates the data privacy act.
Just flashing us in red is definitely the easiest way.
Your speed is measured twice if you get flashed (radar or similar). If the two results differ by more than 10km/h (for speeds up to 100km/h) or by more than 10% (above 100km/h) the measurements will be deemed invalid and you won't be fined.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27.11.2019, 19:44
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,829
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,519 Times in 5,593 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Your speed is measured twice if you get flashed (radar or similar). If the two results differ by more than 10km/h (for speeds up to 100km/h) or by more than 10% (above 100km/h) the measurements will be deemed invalid and you won't be fined.
I knew about the twice but not the other part. Interesting. Won't work for me this time though as all I did was take the foot off the throttle - not enough I'm afraid.

This is not good though (me thinks), knowing about it makes people step on the brakes when flashed the first time - if someone is right behind them ......
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27.11.2019, 19:54
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,809
Groaned at 83 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 16,356 Times in 7,274 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
Your speed is measured twice if you get flashed (radar or similar). If the two results differ by more than 10km/h (for speeds up to 100km/h) or by more than 10% (above 100km/h) the measurements will be deemed invalid and you won't be fined.
The time of two measurements and the time of the two flash might or might not happen at the very same time.

Quote:
View Post
I
Apparently they also have systems which take photos of you at two different points, then check based on the time it took you to get from one point to the other how fast you've been driving. I'm not sure they're really in use
Those systems are first and foremost distance measurements devices. Mostly done from bridges and only temporary (at least I am not aware of a permanent installed device). Same tolerances as for radar devices. See Art. 8 Abs. 1 Lit. j VSKV-ASTRA https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classifi.../index.html#a8
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27.11.2019, 20:21
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 27,511
Groaned at 1,731 Times in 1,321 Posts
Thanked 31,919 Times in 15,270 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
for speed cameras I know they do also in front. But was not sure about red light radar.
We have quite a few around here that do both front and read for red lights.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 27.11.2019, 21:42
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,829
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,519 Times in 5,593 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Quote:
View Post
The time of two measurements and the time of the two flash might or might not happen at the very same time.

Those systems are first and foremost distance measurements devices. Mostly done from bridges and only temporary (at least I am not aware of a permanent installed device). Same tolerances as for radar devices. See Art. 8 Abs. 1 Lit. j VSKV-ASTRA https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classifi.../index.html#a8
Yep, almost at the same time. Wish I had a longer car.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28.11.2019, 14:00
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 230
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 89 Times in 61 Posts
starDeMer is considered knowledgeablestarDeMer is considered knowledgeablestarDeMer is considered knowledgeable
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Or it could be this:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo0rae
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28.11.2019, 14:49
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,829
Groaned at 139 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 10,519 Times in 5,593 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can red light camera flash be forward facing?

Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear/forward-facing Children's Car Seat Anglogirl Items wanted 0 26.01.2018 13:28
Semi professional light camera adryankc Items wanted 1 19.12.2017 23:38
Camera flash for starting off too soon after red light exisidiot Transportation/driving 14 29.11.2017 18:01
Forward facing or rear facing baby car seat Ambie26 Transportation/driving 36 27.01.2012 21:33
Red flash speeding camera? FinnMom Transportation/driving 70 02.08.2011 23:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0