Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 16.01.2020, 20:24
user137's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 576
Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 382 Times in 247 Posts
user137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputation
Re: Sports car on a budget

you want me to put the kid onto the roof?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 17.01.2020, 08:25
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 9,432
Groaned at 1,827 Times in 991 Posts
Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,725 Posts
omtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthy
Re: Sports car on a budget

In the USA one sees all sorts of wild cars. But in CH its always the same boring lot of non-descriptive cars. Theres no real cars here!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 17.01.2020, 12:45
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 189
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 211 Times in 113 Posts
Axa is considered knowledgeableAxa is considered knowledgeableAxa is considered knowledgeable
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
In the USA one sees all sorts of wild cars. But in CH its always the same boring lot of non-descriptive cars. Theres no real cars here!

The colors are the issue. I was looking for a new car last year. I asked several car sales people why all cars were black, gray, white or a blue that looks like black. The story was the same: customers prefer boring colors because it's easier to sell them to other people at the end of the lease. This is totally reasonable for VW or Toyota econoboxes, not beauties I ended loving a black one because it was already at the dealership and had a steep discount. Ordering one in a non-boring color would have been financially painful.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 17.01.2020, 13:17
omtatsat's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 9,432
Groaned at 1,827 Times in 991 Posts
Thanked 4,282 Times in 2,725 Posts
omtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthyomtatsat is considered unworthy
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
The colors are the issue. I was looking for a new car last year. I asked several car sales people why all cars were black, gray, white or a blue that looks like black. The story was the same: customers prefer boring colors because it's easier to sell them to other people at the end of the lease. This is totally reasonable for VW or Toyota econoboxes, not beauties I ended loving a black one because it was already at the dealership and had a steep discount. Ordering one in a non-boring color would have been financially painful.
I am not talking about colours. I am talking about cars.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #105  
Old 17.01.2020, 13:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 822
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,270 Times in 500 Posts
heckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
I ended loving a black one because it was already at the dealership and had a steep discount. Ordering one in a non-boring color would have been financially painful.
I thought we would have the same problem .... but to my delight, there was a bright red showroom model available with all the "extras" we wanted.

Also helped the trade-in value of the previous car (also bright red) as the salesman tried to argue that it would be hard to sell on....whereupon I asked why they had showroom models in that colour then
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank heckenhocker for this useful post:
  #106  
Old 17.01.2020, 14:01
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,531
Groaned at 288 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 21,562 Times in 7,856 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
you want me to put the kid onto the roof?
You obviously need to fix that pram properly...

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #107  
Old 13.02.2020, 13:45
Dragon5's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bubikon
Posts: 145
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Dragon5 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Sports car on a budget

Hey User137, long time not heard, and now spring is on the way .... please tell us all, What sports car did you get in the end ?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 13.02.2020, 17:03
Ato Ato is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 440
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 691 Times in 295 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Well I could start a new thread but someone just reminded me this exists so I'm hijacking it, if not right please admin away.
My hot hatch has died, high mileage and too many issues to be economically viable to repair.

Now if you people had a choice between a 2015 Golf R or a BMW M135i, where which way would you go? Note, car is for all year so I've concerns about snow with the projector, but also not sure on the haldex on the peoples car.
Any other nice suggestions welcome around the 30k mark.
Side note, I've a size restriction due to a tiny parking space, anything longer than 4.5m starts to get very tight.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 13.02.2020, 17:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,236
Groaned at 261 Times in 197 Posts
Thanked 15,880 Times in 5,593 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
Well I could start a new thread but someone just reminded me this exists so I'm hijacking it, if not right please admin away.
My hot hatch has died, high mileage and too many issues to be economically viable to repair.

Now if you people had a choice between a 2015 Golf R or a BMW M135i, where which way would you go? Note, car is for all year so I've concerns about snow with the projector, but also not sure on the haldex on the peoples car.
Any other nice suggestions welcome around the 30k mark.
Side note, I've a size restriction due to a tiny parking space, anything longer than 4.5m starts to get very tight.
Of course the BMW. A bit of a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #110  
Old 13.02.2020, 17:50
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,999
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,474 Times in 5,704 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
Of course the BMW. A bit of a no-brainer.
why?? at the end of the day its still a 1 series

fun rumor for you, the 1-series was originally the Rover 35, when bmw took their ball home they offered it to the phoenix 4 with a reduced loan, they refused so bmw turned it into the 1 series. I wonder if people would have recommended that as a sports car
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #111  
Old 13.02.2020, 17:55
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,531
Groaned at 288 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 21,562 Times in 7,856 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
Of course the BMW. A bit of a no-brainer.
How much do you drive in winter/snow? Mountains?

The BMW is for sure the most engaging car in that segment, but if you depend on your car working on snow would I consider a quattro: https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/audi...%26vehtyp%3D10
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #112  
Old 13.02.2020, 17:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,236
Groaned at 261 Times in 197 Posts
Thanked 15,880 Times in 5,593 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
why?? at the end of the day its still a 1 series

fun rumor for you, the 1-series was originally the Rover 35, when bmw took their ball home they offered it to the phoenix 4 with a reduced loan, they refused so bmw turned it into the 1 series. I wonder if people would have recommended that as a sports car
That was the previous generation 1 series...
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 13.02.2020, 17:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,236
Groaned at 261 Times in 197 Posts
Thanked 15,880 Times in 5,593 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
How much do you drive in winter/snow? Mountains?

The BMW is for sure the most engaging car in that segment, but if you depend on your car working on snow would I consider a quattro: https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/audi...%26vehtyp%3D10
Or a BMW M135 xDrive.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #114  
Old 13.02.2020, 18:05
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,531
Groaned at 288 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 21,562 Times in 7,856 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
why?? at the end of the day its still a 1 series

fun rumor for you, the 1-series was originally the Rover 35, when bmw took their ball home they offered it to the phoenix 4 with a reduced loan, they refused so bmw turned it into the 1 series. I wonder if people would have recommended that as a sports car
Thats an urban legend which only exists in the heads of some rover fans in the UK. The simple truth of German engineering is that companies like BMW rather regularly reinvent the wheel and engineer the same concept over and over again… they certainly would not use a concept made in England which they didnt even manage to sell to the Chinese...

The 1 series was the logical next step from the rather successful 3 series compact. Key differentiator to pretty much all other hatchbacks was the RWD which made enough space in the engine compartment to stick in an inline six. Either way, that was the first gen 1 series anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 13.02.2020, 18:09
Ato Ato is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 440
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 691 Times in 295 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
How much do you drive in winter/snow? Mountains?

The BMW is for sure the most engaging car in that segment, but if you depend on your car working on snow would I consider a quattro: https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/audi...%26vehtyp%3D10
I drive for the fun of it and for getting places a few hundred (800km) away on a semi regular basis (5-6 times a year), mostly it's just the work commute. I've been caught in the odd snow storm, the previous FWD slid around the place a fair bit but was fine, I've never tried a RWD in the snow. Mountains are a fairly regular occurence, I'm in the passes until they close and then the lower passes until the higher ones open. The summer is mostly bike weather though.
The RS3 is lovely, but I'm trying to stay within the 5 year old bracket.

Now the X-Drive, that could fit the bill. I'd not noticed that half of them are actually AWD.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 13.02.2020, 19:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,340
Groaned at 296 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 16,249 Times in 9,024 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
How much do you drive in winter/snow? Mountains?

The BMW is for sure the most engaging car in that segment, but if you depend on your car working on snow would I consider a quattro: https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/audi...%26vehtyp%3D10
I always found BMW's good in snow as they had LSD, overtook loads of Audi A4's that were stuck as front wheel drive & heavy weight does not work well.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #117  
Old 14.02.2020, 12:00
Ato Ato is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 440
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 691 Times in 295 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
I always found BMW's good in snow as they had LSD, overtook loads of Audi A4's that were stuck as front wheel drive & heavy weight does not work well.
I think the 1 series has an LSD as an option. I'd quite happily go for a 3 series but it would involve finding a new parking space due to size limitations. In honesty I'm looking for something like a little GT car for daily use.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 14.02.2020, 15:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 416
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 220 Times in 128 Posts
dbucar is considered knowledgeabledbucar is considered knowledgeabledbucar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
Well I could start a new thread but someone just reminded me this exists so I'm hijacking it, if not right please admin away.
My hot hatch has died, high mileage and too many issues to be economically viable to repair.

Now if you people had a choice between a 2015 Golf R or a BMW M135i, where which way would you go? Note, car is for all year so I've concerns about snow with the projector, but also not sure on the haldex on the peoples car.
Any other nice suggestions welcome around the 30k mark.
Side note, I've a size restriction due to a tiny parking space, anything longer than 4.5m starts to get very tight.
Audi /R/S3 Sportback quattro
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 14.02.2020, 16:58
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 11,531
Groaned at 288 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 21,562 Times in 7,856 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
Audi /R/S3 Sportback quattro
Um...
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 14.02.2020, 18:03
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,355
Groaned at 247 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 16,278 Times in 6,725 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sports car on a budget

Quote:
View Post
consider a quattro
I could suggest a sporty quattro... ticks almost all of the OP's boxes, too...

Quote:
Requirements:
  • must be an absolute driver's car (=RWD, 200+ HP). Doesn't need 400-700 BHP as chances of losing one's license is relatively high already.
  • budget around 10k (purchase minus resale value). Purchase limit ~40k CHF.
  • time limit 1 season (April to October)
  • must be able to seat an 1-yr-old in the back and the missus in the front. I understand that they probably don't want ride along 90% of the time, but it's one less argument if they could.
  • sports auto gearbox with paddles
  • fairly recent chassis (2010 upwards)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
budget, buying a car, cars, sport car




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M-budget vs swisscom BLP TV/internet/telephone 4 18.09.2015 13:08
Sports Massage, Rehabilitation, Kinesio Taping, Graston, IASTM, Sports Injuries Maria T Commercial 1 06.04.2014 22:29
M-Budget Top up cmc63 TV/internet/telephone 6 27.11.2012 09:58
Runners, triathletes, sports/extreme sports enthusiasts boardergal Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 1 03.08.2009 14:52
m-budget bikes balance Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 13 10.06.2008 11:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0