English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky? (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/296715-zurich-garage-cleaning-mfk-i-just-unlucky.html)

italo 12.02.2020 19:29

[Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Hi, I'm an expat living in Zurich, Wiedikon area, and I have a Renault from 2011. I received the letter for the regularly scheduled MFK. I knew the car was OK, but since I need to find a garage I can trust for future repairs, I decided to find one closeby.


First, I searched this forum and I picked one which I saw recommended,


I go there, nice and friendly people, I leave the car one day and pick it up the day after. They cleaned it and there was a non-working lightbulb that they replaced. On the way back home I hear a new, strange noise from a wheel bay, but I didn't bother.


The first try at the MFK didn't go well because the garage didn't spot that one of the springs of the dampeners was actually broken (but this was *not* the noise I was talking about). So I had to go to the garage again, where they recommended me to change both springs at this point.



I go to pick up the car again, they changed the springs and said that they noticed that one of the dampeners (not the one with the broken spring, the other one) got somehow a bit loose (this is where the noise comes from). They say it's not going to give me troubles at the MFK this time, since I already passed that test, but maybe I want to have it fixed in the near future.


(I am a bit pissed, I assume they made it loose accidentally the first time they prepared the car, but never mind)


The second time the car passes the MFK and I am happy.


Until I receive the bill.


Cleaning chassis and engine bay, MFK diagnosis, lamp and springs replacement: almost 1'100 CHF.


I do not want to jump to conclusions, maybe I was just unlucky. I have three questions:


1) Is this a normal price for the Zurich area in 2020?


2) Would you say that a garage that misses a broken spring and loosens a dampener by mistake is still trustworthy? Was I just unlucky?


3) Given that the next step I need is a major operation on the car (fixing dampener, changing engine belt, water pump, oil and filters), do you recommend going there again?


Thanks for your feedback :)

AbFab 12.02.2020 19:50

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
1) That‘s about normal - particularly if you don’t ask for a quote

2) I think it‘s absurd to imagine that a garage would loosen anything on a car with potential lethal results.

3) That‘s you decision. But wherever you go ask what it will cost - so you get the shock sooner rather than later...

k_and_e 12.02.2020 19:52

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
"preparing a car for MFK" is an invitation to replace any part that is not new. You can better was your car in a regular car wash, clean the engine bay a bit with a damp cloth if dirty and take it to the MFK.
In case it fails, bring it to the dealer to do the repairs/adjustments and ask the dealer to do the re-check.

italo 12.02.2020 19:59

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
OK thanks :)


Just to be clear: I never thought that they loosened the dampener on purpose! My idea is more that it happened accidentally when they checked the car the first time, maybe when they lifted the car, and they didn't notice (I do not see any other possibility, since the noise was not there when I brought the car there the first time, and was there when I took it back).


Regarding the MFK: yes, I know I could have avoided troubles by just cleaning the car myself. The point here was really "a test": I wanted to see how much I could trust them by risking something now that the required operation was minor, rather than bringing the car directly for the big stuff.


But OK, for the upcoming big stuff I will ask a quote first.

curley 12.02.2020 20:00

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by italo (Post 3147654)
Hi, I'm an expat living in Zurich, Wiedikon area, and I have a Renault from 2011. I received the letter for the regularly scheduled MFK. I knew the car was OK, but since I need to find a garage I can trust for future repairs, I decided to find one closeby.


First, I searched this forum and I picked one which I saw recommended,


I go there, nice and friendly people, I leave the car one day and pick it up the day after. They cleaned it and there was a non-working lightbulb that they replaced. On the way back home I hear a new, strange noise from a wheel bay, but I didn't bother.


The first try at the MFK didn't go well because the garage didn't spot that one of the springs of the dampeners was actually broken (but this was *not* the noise I was talking about). So I had to go to the garage again, where they recommended me to change both springs at this point.



I go to pick up the car again, they changed the springs and said that they noticed that one of the dampeners (not the one with the broken spring, the other one) got somehow a bit loose (this is where the noise comes from). They say it's not going to give me troubles at the MFK this time, since I already passed that test, but maybe I want to have it fixed in the near future.


(I am a bit pissed, I assume they made it loose accidentally the first time they prepared the car, but never mind)


The second time the car passes the MFK and I am happy.


Until I receive the bill.


Cleaning chassis and engine bay, MFK diagnosis, lamp and springs replacement: almost 1'100 CHF.


I do not want to jump to conclusions, maybe I was just unlucky. I have three questions:


1) Is this a normal price for the Zurich area in 2020?


2) Would you say that a garage that misses a broken spring and loosens a dampener by mistake is still trustworthy? Was I just unlucky?


3) Given that the next step I need is a major operation on the car (fixing dampener, changing engine belt, water pump, oil and filters), do you recommend going there again?


Thanks for your feedback :)

What's a dampener in a car? Do you mean damper?

It's not really possible to judge this price as we don't know what shape your car was really in - as you didn't have a garage yet, maybe your car has not seen one in a longer time? And also you don't mention how much of it is parts replaced.

italo 12.02.2020 20:05

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curley (Post 3147667)
What's a dampener in a car? Do you mean damper?

It's not really possible to judge this price as we don't know what shape your car was really in - as you didn't have a garage yet, maybe your car has not seen one in a longer time? And also you don't mention how much of it is parts replaced.


Uh... Damper, yes, silly me :msnblush:


I just moved to Zurich, but the car has seen regular maintenance between Italy and Switzerland. At the end the only things that didn't work out for the MFK were the lightbulb and the broken spring.


As I said, the replaced parts are: the spring of both dampers, and the lightbulb. Total from invoice: roughly 410 CHF.

Axa 12.02.2020 20:32

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Driving with a broken car suspension component and not crashing is already enough good luck. It's normal that the rest system keeps decaying (the damper of the other side) if one of the component fails (the broken spring). How many km did you drive with the noise? The more km the higher the mechanic bill.

About price, 1100 total -410 of part = 690 for labor. Assuming the mechanic charges 120 CHF per hour, about 6 hours of labor. Not much for being there 2 times.

italo 12.02.2020 20:53

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axa (Post 3147675)
Driving with a broken car suspension component and not crashing is already enough good luck. It's normal that the rest system keeps decaying (the damper of the other side) if one of the component fails (the broken spring). How many km did you drive with the noise? The more km the higher the mechanic bill.

About price, 1100 total -410 of part = 690 for labor. Assuming the mechanic charges 120 CHF per hour, about 6 hours of labor. Not much for being there 2 times.


According from the bill I think it's 159 CHF/hour but yes, what you write looks reasonable. I will go there again for the big work :)

Landers 12.02.2020 23:18

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by curley (Post 3147667)
What's a dampener in a car? Do you mean damper?

It's not really possible to judge this price as we don't know what shape your car was really in - as you didn't have a garage yet, maybe your car has not seen one in a longer time? And also you don't mention how much of it is parts replaced.


You know what he meant, or maybe you don't because it seems you didn't understand the rest of his post either.


Seems super excessive to me!

There was a "cleaning", incidental bulb replacement, and then the spring replacement.
It's possible the spring broke coincidentally at the garage. If they had it on a ramp it's possible it pulled on an already damaged damper top mount or the uneven suspension pulled on it. If you only had it in for a clean you can't really blame them for not seeing a broken spring.


First rule in CH: Ask how much it costs
Second rule: Ask how much it costs for them to tell you how much it costs.

italo 19.01.2021 11:31

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
An update on this. In April I went there again for the "big work". This was mostly change of oil/air/dust filters, and replacement of the engine belt and water pump. Total around 2500 CHF. WTF but OK, sigh...


This October I realize there is leakage of the cooling liquid.


December I managed to have the car checked by a trusted garage in Italy. The garage in Zurich misplaced an o-ring when replacing the water pump.


Never again. I won't say the name of the garage to avoid liabilities, but it's not far away from the synagogue in Wiedikon and very close to a used furniture shop.

krlock3 19.01.2021 13:45

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
I have happily used Renault at Albisriederplatz - why not use an official garage? Does not seem to me that you save money by going elsewhere.

Landers 19.01.2021 16:26

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Even if they did replace it properly - 2,500!! Why on earth did you go back there in the first place?!

krlock3 20.01.2021 11:00

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landers (Post 3265202)
Even if they did replace it properly - 2,500!! Why on earth did you go back there in the first place?!

Replacing the timing belt on cars that need it, generally every five years, costs about chf1500 just on it's own.

Landers 20.01.2021 12:37

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krlock3 (Post 3265454)
Replacing the timing belt on cars that need it, generally every five years, costs about chf1500 just on it's own.


Good one!:rofl:

BasP72 20.01.2021 12:54

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by italo (Post 3265038)
An update on this. In April I went there again for the "big work". This was mostly change of oil/air/dust filters, and replacement of the engine belt and water pump. Total around 2500 CHF. WTF but OK, sigh...


This October I realize there is leakage of the cooling liquid.


December I managed to have the car checked by a trusted garage in Italy. The garage in Zurich misplaced an o-ring when replacing the water pump.


Never again. I won't say the name of the garage to avoid liabilities, but it's not far away from the synagogue in Wiedikon and very close to a used furniture shop.

Dont you normally get a years warrantee on parts and labor ? So the original garage should have fixed it for free...

st2lemans 20.01.2021 13:14

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krlock3 (Post 3265454)
Replacing the timing belt on cars that need it, generally every five years, costs about chf1500 just on it's own.

Depends on car and mileage. Had one done this summer at 10 years and 140k km. And it was about half that.

Tom

JackieH 20.01.2021 13:26

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
we had huge issues with the electronics after the car was professionally cleaned for MFK/Scan.

k_and_e 20.01.2021 13:32

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Hi Italo, you seem to be the perfect client. Congratulations!

fatmanfilms 20.01.2021 14:41

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by italo (Post 3147666)
OK thanks :)


Just to be clear: I never thought that they loosened the dampener on purpose! My idea is more that it happened accidentally when they checked the car the first time, maybe when they lifted the car, and they didn't notice (I do not see any other possibility, since the noise was not there when I brought the car there the first time, and was there when I took it back).


Regarding the MFK: yes, I know I could have avoided troubles by just cleaning the car myself. The point here was really "a test": I wanted to see how much I could trust them by risking something now that the required operation was minor, rather than bringing the car directly for the big stuff.


But OK, for the upcoming big stuff I will ask a quote first.

MFK once failed my car as a small piece of rust needed welding, when I went for the retest I noticed that the MFK had missed a broken spring..... The MFK is very variable, best to take a car with just an engine wash & see if it passes. I got 2 cars through that would have never passed a UK MOT, so don't do work unnecessarily, it's a waste of money.

Landers 20.01.2021 14:53

Re: [Zurich] Garage Cleaning for MFK... Was I just unlucky?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3265575)
best to take a car with just an engine wash & see if it passes. I got 2 cars through that would have never passed a UK MOT, so don't do work unnecessarily, it's a waste of money.


Engine washes are totally unnecessary, unless there are signs of oil leaks.
I would however, always do an underbody/wheel house clean (and general clean)

There seems to be two schools of thought - one is to put the car in and fix anything they find and the other is to get the car pre-checked and leave your credit card open for gang rape.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0