English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   shipping my car to the USA to register it (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/297553-shipping-my-car-usa-register.html)

vnctmrn 06.04.2020 18:26

shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Hi guys!

So I know this sounds crazy but bear with me.

I own a 2015 Mustang GT that has been exported to Switzerland in 2015 by its original owner. The car has a bunch of simple modifications, but enough to make it impossible for me to get through MFK and get Swiss registration (at least with my financial abilities).

So, as I intend to move to the US in the near future anyways, I am thinking about registering the car in the US. I spoke to some people, importers, freight handlers, etc. All I'd need to do is ship the car over, get the customs paperwork filled out to get back the original title, thus allowing me to register the car to my Montana LLC. Then, ship the car back. I'd be able to drive the car for one year legally, then I'd need to get the car out of the country for at least three months (Does any country count or does it need to be its origin country?) Insurance through Zurich.

I'm sure there are some people here that know much more than me and can spot some caveats to my plan? Or give me tips?


And no, returning the car to OEM specs is not an option.

Cheers! :)

aSwissInTheUS 06.04.2020 18:39

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Have you been a Swiss resident for more than 12 months?
Or will you be, when the car gets back a Swiss resident for more than 12 months?

If yes than the time you can use the car on US plates (plus the needed Green Card Insurance) is just 1 month. See chapter 234 in ASA Guideline No. 1
https://asa.ch/it/biblioteca-online/direttive/

vnctmrn 06.04.2020 19:00

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 3168210)
Have you been a Swiss resident for more than 12 months?
Or will you be, when the car gets back a Swiss resident for more than 12 months?

If yes than the time you can use the car on US plates (plus the needed Green Card Insurance) is just 1 month. See chapter 234 in ASA Guideline No. 1
https://asa.ch/it/biblioteca-online/direttive/

Does this still apply if the car is registered to a US company, not me as an individual? Since the owner of the car is technically the company in the US.

st2lemans 06.04.2020 19:16

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Yes.

Tom

aSwissInTheUS 06.04.2020 19:18

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vnctmrn (Post 3168215)
Does this still apply if the car is registered to a US company, not me as an individual? Since the owner of the car is technically the company in the US.

Yes it still apllies. Owner has no relevance. All what mathers is who will use the car. Also, Swiss registration has nothing to do with ownership.

Guest 06.04.2020 19:31

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vnctmrn (Post 3168215)
Does this still apply if the car is registered to a US company, not me as an individual? Since the owner of the car is technically the company in the US.

No solution there.

TBH, just forget about all your ideas, either store the car somewhere off-road till you return to the US, sell it or make it pass inspection.

Option one hardly makes sense due to shipping costs and loss of value over time in such case better to sell it and buy a new one in future in the US.

3Wishes 06.04.2020 20:58

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
You want to ship a car from CH to landlocked Montana, then ship it back to Switzerland, all because it can't pass MFK? That sounds like an expensive plan.

Thinking ahead if you went through with this plan, how would you get insurance to drive in Switzerland with USA plates, much less pass the MFK at a later date without having to make changes to the vehicle?:confused:

Diego Knyte 07.04.2020 21:25

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
OP, what "bunch of simple modifications" have been done that are preventing you from getting it to pass MFK? Might it be cheaper to just revert it to OEM? Since you're moving back to the states after a few, why not just ship it there once and leave it with someone you trust and be done with it? Then just drive a beater until you leave. Just some ideas.

st2lemans 07.04.2020 22:36

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego Knyte (Post 3168764)
OP, what "bunch of simple modifications" have been done that are preventing you from getting it to pass MFK?

Indeed, they have to be pretty major not to pass.

Tom

LAXtoZRH 08.04.2020 11:25

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
How long do you have to register a car imported from the US with US plates? The registration office is not open but I might be able to get an appointment with them soon. Does anyone know the time limit that you can drive a car on foreign plates? I am here on a B permit.

Guest 08.04.2020 11:57

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAXtoZRH (Post 3168893)
How long do you have to register a car imported from the US with US plates? The registration office is not open but I might be able to get an appointment with them soon. Does anyone know the time limit that you can drive a car on foreign plates? I am here on a B permit.

Your question confuses me and the answer depends on your situation.

CodPeace 08.04.2020 11:58

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAXtoZRH (Post 3168893)
How long do you have to register a car imported from the US with US plates? The registration office is not open but I might be able to get an appointment with them soon. Does anyone know the time limit that you can drive a car on foreign plates? I am here on a B permit.


Did the beast arrive then?

xDiavel 08.04.2020 15:30

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3168782)
Indeed, they have to be pretty major not to pass.

Tom

Not sure about that. I bought a 12 month old motorbike over from Australia and it was a pain in the ass. Took ages... Needed paper work from manufacturer.. then switch exhuast back to OEM (which i new i had to do). But it then failed because i had the spring changed for my suspension (as the OEM is shit). So then needed paper work from the manufacture of the suspension to get it to pass.

Couldnt get insurance with Australian plates - so couldnt ride it till it was all sorted .. imagine it would be the same with US plates.

aSwissInTheUS 08.04.2020 16:10

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAXtoZRH (Post 3168893)
How long do you have to register a car imported from the US with US plates? The registration office is not open but I might be able to get an appointment with them soon. Does anyone know the time limit that you can drive a car on foreign plates? I am here on a B permit.

Once again: If you have been here form more than twelve months than just one month. If you have been here for less than it can be up anything from 1 month, 3 months up to 1 year. Source: See previous post.

Do not forget that you will need a valid Green Card isurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDiavel (Post 3168987)
Couldnt get insurance with Australian plates - so couldnt ride it till it was all sorted .. imagine it would be the same with US plates.

Getting a valid Green Card insurance is simple. It is available at any Customs Office https://www.nbi-ngf.ch/en/nvb/dokume...nzversicherung

LAXtoZRH 09.04.2020 10:25

Re: shipping my car to the USA to register it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 3169005)
Once again: If you have been here form more than twelve months than just one month. If you have been here for less than it can be up anything from 1 month, 3 months up to 1 year. Source: See previous post.

Do not forget that you will need a valid Green Card isurance.



Getting a valid Green Card insurance is simple. It is available at any Customs Office https://www.nbi-ngf.ch/en/nvb/dokume...nzversicherung

Interesting about the insurance, do I need this in addition to AXA? I already have insurance on the car from AXA as I was able to put it on the day the car arrived to me with California plates.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0