English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Late payment of a simple speeding fine (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/297723-late-payment-simple-speeding-fine.html)

brontozaur 19.04.2020 12:11

Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Hi,
Got busted for speeding on the autobahn for 120 chf. Forgot to pay on time, now it's 2-3 weeks late after the 30 days deadline. Should I pay it now or should I wait for a reminder? Will there necessarily be additional costs?
Cheers,
B

k_and_e 19.04.2020 12:12

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Pay now. Waiting only makes it worse.

Guest 19.04.2020 12:18

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Extra costs depends on where you got the fine, Zürich is expensive with such, Basel sends a reminder first.

Anyway as K said, pay today, and if you get a letter with extra costs pay the difference.

Castro 19.04.2020 13:05

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
My car is registered to my company so I usually get the fine letter several weeks after the post date (completely disorganised HR dept). Anyway I've never had a problem being a couple of week late, they must have some sort of grace period.

porsch1909 19.04.2020 13:42

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Had a speeding fine in Zurich for 1kph over. Was 60chf I think. Forgot to pay it and paid it late. Got an 'acte Judicaire' through the post asking for the fine and 60chf on top. I phoned and explained. They said to pay the 120chf and I will get the extra back eventually.

I got it back a few months later in the form of a cheque type thing which I took to the post office to cash.

Worst part is I wasn't even the one driving!

Urs Max 19.04.2020 15:04

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
BTDT

Pay the fine right away and give them a call. There's a fair chance it hasn't moved on yet, or can be withdrawn if it has already.

AFAIK there's no reminder for speeding fines (you may get one for a parking fine though), it will simply move on to the courts and cause additional costs.

Guest 19.04.2020 15:38

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3173177)
AFAIK there's no reminder for speeding fines (you may get one for a parking fine though), it will simply move on to the courts and cause additional costs.

Majority of the country sends a reminder first.

Uaby 19.04.2020 18:32

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brontozaur (Post 3173128)
Hi,
Got busted for speeding on the autobahn for 120 chf. Forgot to pay on time, now it's 2-3 weeks late after the 30 days deadline. Should I pay it now or should I wait for a reminder? Will there necessarily be additional costs?
Cheers,
B

Pay as soon as you can before you receive the reminder. I waited and received a letter with 50 CHF as some review fees. The other option was to spend one day in jail :msnshock::msnshock:

NotAllThere 19.04.2020 22:29

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uaby (Post 3173231)
Pay as soon as you can before you receive the reminder. I waited and received a letter with 50 CHF as some review fees. The other option was to spend one day in jail :msnshock::msnshock:

Which did you go for? And why?

LuganoPirate 20.04.2020 12:57

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Yes, pay the reminder now, and if you get a late payment fine a few days later, try calling them and they may cancel the additional payment.

Urs Max 20.04.2020 15:54

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Quote:

Majority of the country sends a reminder first.
Zürich's Stadtpolizei doesn't. For instance.

Guest 20.04.2020 16:05

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urs Max (Post 3173556)
Zürich's Stadtpolizei doesn't. For instance.

Which is why I said:

"Extra costs depends on where you got the fine, Zürich is expensive with such, Basel sends a reminder first."

In my first post.

;)

aSwissInTheUS 20.04.2020 17:59

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
LU also sends a reminder. At least that was the information what I got over the phone.

Be aware, not paying a simple fine is the same as contesting it. There is no late fee. But the follwing will happen:

- Fine/case is sent to prosecutor.
- Prosecutor will look at evidences and the driver's statement.
- If prosecutor thinks the dirty deed has been done he will issue a new fine.
- The amount of the fine can be the same as the one of the simple fine, or higher, or lower. Lower is super very rare and would need very, very, very good explanation and evidences. Higher is possible if there were previous speeding and traffic offences (excluding simple fines paid on time, they are anonymous). Same as the original fine seems to be a standart procedure hwen a fine was simply not paid in time.
- In addition to that there is a processing charge (Schreibgebühr).

If you have legal insurance they might reimburse the processing charge.

Uaby 20.04.2020 19:24

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3173283)
Which did you go for? And why?

I paid the 50 and it was in Lausanne. I accumulated 2000 CHF worth of fines in 2018, my first year in Switzerland but then bought a radar detector which thankfully made life easier.

Guest 20.04.2020 19:30

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Expect much much bigger fines in the future then

''Radar warning devices (radar wave detection devices, radar detectors, driver-alert systems, etc.) ... These signals allow drivers who are driving too fast to reduce their speed in time before they reach the speed trap. In Switzerland it is prohibited to use devices of this nature as well as to place them on the market.''

Uaby 21.04.2020 00:00

Re: Late payment of a simple speeding fine
 
Quote:

Expect much much bigger fines in the future then

''Radar warning devices (radar wave detection devices, radar detectors, driver-alert systems, etc.) ... These signals allow drivers who are driving too fast to reduce their speed in time before they reach the speed trap. In Switzerland it is prohibited to use devices of this nature as well as to place them on the market.''
Ok but I never got a fine ever since. However, good to know. Also, it kinda counter-intuitive since waze and some other apps also allow for Radar prompts.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0