English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Austria - Germany border situation (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/297750-austria-germany-border-situation.html)

Carapace 21.04.2020 09:56

Austria - Germany border situation
 
Currently I am in Hungary, and I would like to drive back to Switzerland next week.

Do you know maybe, if the Germany-Austria border is open for transit travellers now? (If not, the route back would be a lot more complicated..)

Blueangel 21.04.2020 15:08

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
Besides anything else such as are you a critical worker, why would you want to cross the German-Austrian border except for the 'German corner' near Salzburg, which wouldn't be a direct route from Hungary? :confused:

Guest 21.04.2020 15:10

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueangel (Post 3173906)
Besides anything else such as are you a critical worker, why would you want to cross the German-Austrian border except for the 'German corner' near Salzburg, which wouldn't be a direct route from Hungary? :confused:

Best route is via Munich which involves going past Bregenz.

Ato 21.04.2020 15:29

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
I've no facts, but friends in Austria told me a week ago that they were stopped because their Austrian car plates were out of their local area, they were 2 plate districts away from theirs. G to BM (Graz to Bruck an der Mur) if that makes any sense. The police told them to go back to their area.

I know they're loosening the restrictions in Austria now but I don't know how that works for transit.

amogles 21.04.2020 17:21

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
I was reading just yesterday that Wizzair are ramping up their flight schedules again. Might be worth checking what they have on offer.

Carapace 21.04.2020 19:12

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueangel (Post 3173906)
Besides anything else such as are you a critical worker, why would you want to cross the German-Austrian border except for the 'German corner' near Salzburg, which wouldn't be a direct route from Hungary? :confused:

Yes, I would like to cross the corner... Other opportunity is travelling through the middle of Austria, but they do not have highway there, so it would be complicated.

Carapace 21.04.2020 19:14

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ato (Post 3173924)
I've no facts, but friends in Austria told me a week ago that they were stopped because their Austrian car plates were out of their local area, they were 2 plate districts away from theirs. G to BM (Graz to Bruck an der Mur) if that makes any sense. The police told them to go back to their area.

I know they're loosening the restrictions in Austria now but I don't know how that works for transit.

The transit through Austria works, the only requirement is, that you must not stop in the country. The only open quesion is the German border.

Ato 21.04.2020 19:23

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carapace (Post 3174028)
Yes, I would like to cross the corner... Other opportunity is travelling through the middle of Austria, but they do not have highway there, so it would be complicated.

I've driven that way a few times, it's a more scenic route but can get jammed up with traffic in the winter from skiers and in the summer from people heading to Italy/Croatia with caravans aiming for the Brenner pass and Karawanken tunnel. If theres none of those it's a nicer drive than the Münich loop.

It's probably another hour and a half but it removes any potential border issues.

I hope somebody knows the full story with the borders. Best of luck.

Blueangel 22.04.2020 00:59

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carapace (Post 3174029)
The transit through Austria works, the only requirement is, that you must not stop in the country. The only open quesion is the German border.

You need to check out this info and see if you fit the criteria for entry given in the 'Who Is Exempt From These Restrictions?' section.

https://www.germany-visa.org/news/qa...amid-covid-19/

nejc 22.04.2020 10:20

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
A friend of my went a week ago from Luzern back to Austria to take care of his old parents. He wanted to take the fastest route through Germany, but was turned back on the border. He had to go over Arlberg.
I don't know the details, like who stopped him, Swiss or German border guards etc.
As others said, transit trough Austria works with some restrictions, I am in a fb group and there are people there who were doing the route Ch-Slo in last week.
p.s. I checked again that group, somehow is consensus that it's not possible to drive trough Germany at the moment. But, that's fb group :D

blackbird 22.04.2020 12:30

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
When you want to travel from Hungary to switzerland, you can travel through germany, because there is no alternative route to avoid germany without a major detour.

Here is the german border information :

Staaten – zunächst bis zum 15. Mai 2020 weiter anwenden. Entsprechend der weiterhin gültigen Anordnung des BMI nach Art. 14, 6 Schengener Grenzkodex bleiben ausdrücklich ausgenommen von den Reisebeschränkungen :

Staatsangehörigen von EU-Staaten und Schengen-assoziierten Staaten sowie deren Familienangehörigen und Staatsangehörigen aus Großbritannien, Island, Liechtenstein, Norwegen und der Schweiz sowie deren Familienangehörigen zur Einreise zum Zwecke der Durchreise in den Heimat-/oder Aufenthaltsstaat soweit es keine alternative Reiseroute gibt.

There is one option , to avoid germany:

https://www.google.ch/maps/dir/Budap...47.3768866!3e0

blackbird 22.04.2020 12:39

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nejc (Post 3174211)
A friend of my went a week ago from Luzern back to Austria to take care of his old parents. He wanted to take the fastest route through Germany, but was turned back on the border. He had to go over Arlberg.
I don't know the details, like who stopped him, Swiss or German border guards etc.
As others said, transit trough Austria works with some restrictions, I am in a fb group and there are people there who were doing the route Ch-Slo in last week.
p.s. I checked again that group, somehow is consensus that it's not possible to drive trough Germany at the moment. But, that's fb group :D

When you want to take care of your old parents, this is no legitimate reason to cross the border, even when somebody died, you have to stay here.
But Austria will lift the Restrictions soon, they allowed germans to visit relatives in austria:

https://www.berchtesgadener-anzeiger...id,565289.html

3Wishes 22.04.2020 13:32

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
There was another link, which I can't find now, that said you also needed to have a Covid-19 antibody test within the most recent 4 days proving immunity or you're not allowed to enter Germany.

blackbird 22.04.2020 19:43

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
That was for austria (Negative Test in the last 4 days) , not for germany:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/de/home...sterreich.html

For germany , there are these restrictions:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/de/home...utschland.html

3Wishes 22.04.2020 20:53

Re: Austria - Germany border situation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird (Post 3174494)
That was for austria (Negative Test in the last 4 days) , not for germany:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/de/home...sterreich.html

For germany , there are these restrictions:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/de/home...utschland.html

Thanks, I totally muddled that, probably why I couldn't find it! :o:o


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:04.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0