English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   A good reason to store your tires a home (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/297893-good-reason-store-your-tires-home.html)

robBob 01.05.2020 08:33

A good reason to store your tires a home
 
ATU just went bankrupt and all is confiscated including customer's tires in storage.
https://www.auto-illustrierte.ch/de/...-filialen--211
:eek:

bowlie 01.05.2020 11:34

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
If you have got the space at home, storing them at a garage is horrendously expensive. And they charger per season, not per year so it's double what you say on the tin.

k_and_e 01.05.2020 11:38

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Seems like their bad reputation overtook them.

Castro 01.05.2020 11:40

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
I am sure they will be released at some point in time for collection, its just the usual confusion that comes after a sudden event.

NotAllThere 01.05.2020 11:42

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Seems a bit odd. The tyres aren't a company asset. Did they also confiscate customers' cars that were in for service at the time?

Guest 01.05.2020 11:56

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3177741)
Seems a bit odd. The tyres aren't a company asset. Did they also confiscate customers' cars that were in for service at the time?

They might do so in the beginning, and just like the tyres if people proof they paid the bills and own the goods they can retrieve them.

Axa 01.05.2020 12:11

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
The storage of tires was bundled to the leasing of my car. They stay at the dealership :)

I think the bankruptcy was planned for May 1st between ATU and cantonal authorities, exactly 1 day after the typical period for the exchange of winter for summer tires ended. So, the tires blocked temporarily are the winter ones.

I bought the highway sticker this year on an ATU. I walked around the shop and the only useful thing around was motor oil. Lots of accessories you'll never put in a car like stickers, fake fur seat covers, stupid coffee mugs. Young guys in other countries may find cool to put a green LED light under the car, have not seen that around here.

k_and_e 01.05.2020 12:37

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axa (Post 3177754)
Lots of accessories you'll never put in a car like stickers, fake fur seat covers, stupid coffee mugs. Young guys in other countries may find cool to put a green LED light under the car, have not seen that around here.


Aren't you located in Aargau?;)

aSwissInTheUS 01.05.2020 12:47

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
I do not think that they are truly confiscated by the letter of the law. The tires still belong to their rightful owner and are not part of bankruptcy estate. They just unfortunately happen to be in a place which is sealed up due to bankruptcy.

LuganoPirate 01.05.2020 12:52

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
If you live in an apartment block, you may not be allowed to store tyres for fire safety reasons. A bit illogical I know since every car has at least 4 on them, but that is the rule!

Guest 01.05.2020 13:00

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuganoPirate (Post 3177772)
If you live in an apartment block, you may not be allowed to store tyres for fire safety reasons. A bit illogical I know since every car has at least 4 on them, but that is the rule!

We're officially not allowed to store them in our parking garage and they have installed a tyre-cabinet on each spot. Don't know what size they had in mind but I can store exactly one tyre in the cabinet, so a lot of people still have them loose on their parking spot and they stopped nagging since else we all store them in our storage spaces or even in our homes.

lost_inbroad 01.05.2020 13:01

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3177741)
Seems a bit odd. The tyres aren't a company asset. Did they also confiscate customers' cars that were in for service at the time?

Well, possession is nine-tenth of the law.

Axa 01.05.2020 13:21

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 3177763)
Aren't you located in Aargau?;)

Yes. I know an ATU in Suhr/Buchs and other one in Oftringen. I went to the car wash this morning and I can tell no idiotic accessories in the cars around the car wash haha

Albeit, the group of people that puts some effort in washing the car may be different to the group of people that believe fake fur looks awesome. Anyway, the bankruptcy signals their sales weren't that great.

Mikers 01.05.2020 13:21

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
And if its a bankruptcy they might try and suddenly sell them off all really quickly with a 24 hour "TYRE SALE!!!"

bwahahahahahaha!!!!

Sorry. I'll get my coat....

aSwissInTheUS 01.05.2020 13:38

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuganoPirate (Post 3177772)
If you live in an apartment block, you may not be allowed to store tyres for fire safety reasons. A bit illogical I know since every car has at least 4 on them, but that is the rule!

That is ridiculous and outrageous. Even the fire-protection standards of of the cantons fire insurance fire-protection standards allows the storage of one set of tyres.

V__ 01.05.2020 13:49

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3177730)
If you have got the space at home, storing them at a garage is horrendously expensive. And they charger per season, not per year so it's double what you say on the tin.

I pay 110 CHF every 6 months for storing, swapping and balancing. For the time and space involved at home, I don't think it's horrendously expensive

nejc 01.05.2020 15:08

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 3177794)
That is ridiculous and outrageous. Even the fire-protection standards of of the cantons fire insurance fire-protection standards allows the storage of one set of tyres.

No need to be so aggressive, I already got this idiocy from you years ago, but yes, it is in the "brandschutzrichtilinien" 26-15de / 8.1


If you store more than 1 t of tyres you have to do additional measures.
1.000 kg / 10kg for a tyre = 100 tyres = 25 cars


It is true that in practical use this shouldn't be ever a problem as you often discuss fire protection measures with local authority and they are quite smart, but this doesn't prevent a lazy building manager to write his own rules.
Tyre, like liquids and gas are hazardous materials and after some quantity their storage becomes expensive.

Don Molina 01.05.2020 15:25

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V__ (Post 3177798)
I pay 110 CHF every 6 months for storing, swapping and balancing. For the time and space involved at home, I don't think it's horrendously expensive

I use expensive summer tires, and I go through them fast.
1300 a set, and they last 3 seasons.

My cost per year is then approx 430 per year. The 110 you're mentioning is a bit over 25% increase in my annual tire cost which I do think is horrendous.

A normal sized tire, with long wear would easily be 500 per set and could easily go 5 seasons, so the cost of changing the tires would be MORE than the tires themselves.

If you have the space, a spare set of wheels makes absolute sense. I change my tires at my own schedule, without needing to book garage appointments, get replacement car for the day etc etc. Plus the capex for the spare set can be recovered to an extent if you bought a bit smartly.

Guest 01.05.2020 15:32

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Molina (Post 3177853)
I use expensive summer tires, and I go through them fast.
1300 a set, and they last 3 seasons.

My cost per year is then approx 430 per year. The 110 you're mentioning is a bit over 25% increase in my annual tire cost which I do think is horrendous.

A normal sized tire, with long wear would easily be 500 per set and could easily go 5 seasons, so the cost of changing the tires would be MORE than the tires themselves.

If you have the space, a spare set of wheels makes absolute sense. I change my tires at my own schedule, without needing to book garage appointments, get replacement car for the day etc etc. Plus the capex for the spare set can be recovered to an extent if you bought a bit smartly.


I pay my garage 35 every 6 months just to store the tyres which to me is cheap. I have never changed tyres in my life and not about to start now so it would be a huge inconvenience to have to store them at home/drive them back and forth from the garage in the back of my car. When they swap over tyres they also fully check over the car for me, put in more fluids, replace bulbs etc so worth it for me. Bills depends on what they do

Belgianmum 01.05.2020 15:53

Re: A good reason to store your tires a home
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V__ (Post 3177798)
I pay 110 CHF every 6 months for storing, swapping and balancing. For the time and space involved at home, I don't think it's horrendously expensive

We pay 100chf per year for the same thing. I donít think itís expensive at all.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0