Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.05.2020, 08:33
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,900
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,492 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
A good reason to store your tires a home

ATU just went bankrupt and all is confiscated including customer's tires in storage.
https://www.auto-illustrierte.ch/de/...-filialen--211
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 01.05.2020, 11:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 5,202
Groaned at 292 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 7,110 Times in 3,347 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

If you have got the space at home, storing them at a garage is horrendously expensive. And they charger per season, not per year so it's double what you say on the tin.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.05.2020, 11:40
Castro's Avatar
ŗ la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,608
Groaned at 120 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 16,791 Times in 5,333 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

I am sure they will be released at some point in time for collection, its just the usual confusion that comes after a sudden event.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.05.2020, 13:49
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,510
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,079 Times in 865 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
If you have got the space at home, storing them at a garage is horrendously expensive. And they charger per season, not per year so it's double what you say on the tin.
I pay 110 CHF every 6 months for storing, swapping and balancing. For the time and space involved at home, I don't think it's horrendously expensive
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 01.05.2020, 15:25
Don Molina's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 915
Groaned at 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,347 Times in 569 Posts
Don Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
I pay 110 CHF every 6 months for storing, swapping and balancing. For the time and space involved at home, I don't think it's horrendously expensive
I use expensive summer tires, and I go through them fast.
1300 a set, and they last 3 seasons.

My cost per year is then approx 430 per year. The 110 you're mentioning is a bit over 25% increase in my annual tire cost which I do think is horrendous.

A normal sized tire, with long wear would easily be 500 per set and could easily go 5 seasons, so the cost of changing the tires would be MORE than the tires themselves.

If you have the space, a spare set of wheels makes absolute sense. I change my tires at my own schedule, without needing to book garage appointments, get replacement car for the day etc etc. Plus the capex for the spare set can be recovered to an extent if you bought a bit smartly.
__________________
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.05.2020, 15:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
I use expensive summer tires, and I go through them fast.
1300 a set, and they last 3 seasons.

My cost per year is then approx 430 per year. The 110 you're mentioning is a bit over 25% increase in my annual tire cost which I do think is horrendous.

A normal sized tire, with long wear would easily be 500 per set and could easily go 5 seasons, so the cost of changing the tires would be MORE than the tires themselves.

If you have the space, a spare set of wheels makes absolute sense. I change my tires at my own schedule, without needing to book garage appointments, get replacement car for the day etc etc. Plus the capex for the spare set can be recovered to an extent if you bought a bit smartly.

I pay my garage 35 every 6 months just to store the tyres which to me is cheap. I have never changed tyres in my life and not about to start now so it would be a huge inconvenience to have to store them at home/drive them back and forth from the garage in the back of my car. When they swap over tyres they also fully check over the car for me, put in more fluids, replace bulbs etc so worth it for me. Bills depends on what they do
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.05.2020, 16:07
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,430 Times in 2,045 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
I use expensive summer tires, and I go through them fast.
1300 a set, and they last 3 seasons.

My cost per year is then approx 430 per year. The 110 you're mentioning is a bit over 25% increase in my annual tire cost which I do think is horrendous.

A normal sized tire, with long wear would easily be 500 per set and could easily go 5 seasons, so the cost of changing the tires would be MORE than the tires themselves.

If you have the space, a spare set of wheels makes absolute sense. I change my tires at my own schedule, without needing to book garage appointments, get replacement car for the day etc etc. Plus the capex for the spare set can be recovered to an extent if you bought a bit smartly.
You have the skills to do a quality job safely. It's not rocket science, but how many people can do it without hurting themselves or doing a poor job? We drive on these things at least at 120 km/h.

It may not be the most convenient thing for an specific individual, but the world is a better place when people pay others to take care of their wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.05.2020, 16:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 5,202
Groaned at 292 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 7,110 Times in 3,347 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
You have the skills to do a quality job safely. It's not rocket science, but how many people can do it without hurting themselves or doing a poor job? We drive on these things at least at 120 km/h.

It may not be the most convenient thing for an specific individual, but the world is a better place when people pay others to take care of their wheels.
How many people these days can use a torque wrench? Or even know what it is. Very few I would speculate.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.05.2020, 17:02
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,900
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,492 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
It may not be the most convenient thing for an specific individual, but the world is a better place when incompetent people pay others to take care of their wheels.
FIFY
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.05.2020, 16:12
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,510
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,079 Times in 865 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
I use expensive summer tires, and I go through them fast.
1300 a set, and they last 3 seasons.

My cost per year is then approx 430 per year. The 110 you're mentioning is a bit over 25% increase in my annual tire cost which I do think is horrendous.

A normal sized tire, with long wear would easily be 500 per set and could easily go 5 seasons, so the cost of changing the tires would be MORE than the tires themselves.

If you have the space, a spare set of wheels makes absolute sense. I change my tires at my own schedule, without needing to book garage appointments, get replacement car for the day etc etc. Plus the capex for the spare set can be recovered to an extent if you bought a bit smartly.
Garages appointment and replacement car? Is that a main dealer?

Nothing like that with the independent tyre-only garage I use. No appointment, I show up, they lift the car, swap the wheels (I have two sets, one set always stays there) and I'm gone in 5 min. Like a pit stop.

If I have to do it myself, it will take me at least 1.5h to do the swap. So 55 CHF to do the change myself I don't think it's worth it for the time to waste time on a weekend. And what do you do for balancing? Your wheels are never balanced if you mount them yourself.

Another 55 CHF and I don't have to store them in my garage, it's not a bad deal. I can't fill up for less than 120 CHF a tank
__________________
"FAQ is not binding."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01.05.2020, 16:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
Garages appointment and replacement car? Is that a main dealer?

Nothing like that with the independent tyre-only garage I use. No appointment, I show up, they lift the car, swap the wheels (I have two sets, one set always stays there) and I'm gone in 5 min. Like a pit stop.
For 220,- a year for storage and 2 swaps I can see they have spots open in the planning if you spontaneously drop by
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.05.2020, 15:53
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuch‚tel
Posts: 13,069
Groaned at 235 Times in 197 Posts
Thanked 21,639 Times in 8,854 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
I pay 110 CHF every 6 months for storing, swapping and balancing. For the time and space involved at home, I don't think it's horrendously expensive
We pay 100chf per year for the same thing. I donít think itís expensive at all.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 01.05.2020, 18:13
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,632
Groaned at 237 Times in 208 Posts
Thanked 20,023 Times in 8,135 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

My son has found a place to keep his tyres for free... in my garage!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 01.05.2020, 11:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,417
Groaned at 296 Times in 225 Posts
Thanked 19,393 Times in 6,744 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Seems like their bad reputation overtook them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.05.2020, 11:42
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,632
Groaned at 237 Times in 208 Posts
Thanked 20,023 Times in 8,135 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Seems a bit odd. The tyres aren't a company asset. Did they also confiscate customers' cars that were in for service at the time?
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.05.2020, 11:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
Seems a bit odd. The tyres aren't a company asset. Did they also confiscate customers' cars that were in for service at the time?
They might do so in the beginning, and just like the tyres if people proof they paid the bills and own the goods they can retrieve them.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 01.05.2020, 12:11
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,430 Times in 2,045 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

The storage of tires was bundled to the leasing of my car. They stay at the dealership

I think the bankruptcy was planned for May 1st between ATU and cantonal authorities, exactly 1 day after the typical period for the exchange of winter for summer tires ended. So, the tires blocked temporarily are the winter ones.

I bought the highway sticker this year on an ATU. I walked around the shop and the only useful thing around was motor oil. Lots of accessories you'll never put in a car like stickers, fake fur seat covers, stupid coffee mugs. Young guys in other countries may find cool to put a green LED light under the car, have not seen that around here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 01.05.2020, 12:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,417
Groaned at 296 Times in 225 Posts
Thanked 19,393 Times in 6,744 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
Lots of accessories you'll never put in a car like stickers, fake fur seat covers, stupid coffee mugs. Young guys in other countries may find cool to put a green LED light under the car, have not seen that around here.

Aren't you located in Aargau?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 01.05.2020, 13:01
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,491
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

Quote:
View Post
Seems a bit odd. The tyres aren't a company asset. Did they also confiscate customers' cars that were in for service at the time?
Well, possession is nine-tenth of the law.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01.05.2020, 13:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,459
Groaned at 175 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 4,947 Times in 1,902 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A good reason to store your tires a home

And if its a bankruptcy they might try and suddenly sell them off all really quickly with a 24 hour "TYRE SALE!!!"

bwahahahahahaha!!!!

Sorry. I'll get my coat....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
auto, tire, warning




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good reason to NOT be loyal to your dentist! arrow Family matters/health 49 28.01.2020 09:38
Home decor store tips Anke_ Other/general 3 31.10.2015 10:41
Basel- finding a good location to change tires DIY oferet Transportation/driving 9 15.11.2013 16:17
Airline delays - for a good reason Desert Rat General off-topic 8 08.03.2013 13:31
Where to buy good winter tires for a good price? GBer Transportation/driving 2 30.11.2008 15:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0