English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Advice on tires (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/299168-advice-tires.html)

Nocando 17.07.2020 12:31

Advice on tires
 
Hi,
Looking for car aficionados to give me some free advice.
My front tires have got worn out while my rear tires seem to be in solid shape ( different widths though). Given the summer / winter tire changes, I do not know how many kms they have run but a good estimate would be 25000 kms.
Isn't this ridiculously low? And why only the front tires? Do I need to worry?
FYI, the car is an X4 and has done a total of 45K kms. Has been serviced on time at Emil Frey, so am I right in thinking that if there was something iffy, they would have discovered it?
Thanks in advance!

fatmanfilms 17.07.2020 12:36

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocando (Post 3199704)
Hi,
Looking for car aficionados to give me some free advice.
My front tires have got worn out while my rear tires seem to be in solid shape ( different widths though). Given the summer / winter tire changes, I do not know how many kms they have run but a good estimate would be 25000 kms.
Isn't this ridiculously low? And why only the front tires? Do I need to worry?
FYI, the car is an X4 and has done a total of 45K kms. Has been serviced on time at Emil Frey, so am I right in thinking that if there was something iffy, they would have discovered it?
Thanks in advance!

It's clearly mainly front wheel drive & a heavy car

Guest 17.07.2020 12:37

Re: Advice on tires
 
As far as I know the X4 is front wheel drive (can shift to 4wd when needed), so it is normal that the front tyres wear of the most.

25K or 45K it depends on quality of tyres, the weather, driving style, weight etc..

Nocando 17.07.2020 12:39

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3199705)
It's clearly mainly front wheel drive & a heavy car

Yes, it's an all-wheel system which runs mainly in front wheel drive-mode.

Nocando 17.07.2020 12:44

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

As far as I know the X4 is front wheel drive (can shift to 4wd when needed), so it is normal that the front tyres wear of the most.

25K or 45K it depends on quality of tyres, the weather, driving style, weight etc..
The tires are Michelin. Most of the times, I drive alone so weight is bare minimum.

On another note, can I replace the front tires with those of a different make? The jury seems to be out on whether one should have different makes ( and therefore treads ) of tires on a car or not.

Thanks a ton.

bowlie 17.07.2020 12:47

Re: Advice on tires
 
A little more information would be helpful. Your car make and model and year. Your tyre manufacturer and size.

No reason tokeep that information to yourself.

Nocando 17.07.2020 12:49

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3199714)
A little more information would be helpful. Your car make and model and year. Your tyre manufacturer and size.

No reason tokeep that information to yourself.

BMW X4 Dec 2017
Michelin 245/45/R19

bowlie 17.07.2020 12:51

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocando (Post 3199715)
BMW X4 Dec 2017
Michelin 245/45/R19

Thank you.

k_and_e 17.07.2020 13:04

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3199705)
It's clearly mainly front wheel drive & a heavy car

Quote:

As far as I know the X4 is front wheel drive (can shift to 4wd when needed), so it is normal that the front tyres wear of the most.

25K or 45K it depends on quality of tyres, the weather, driving style, weight etc..

BMW xDrive by default sends more power to the rear wheels than to the front (40% vs 60%).

Neko 17.07.2020 13:48

Re: Advice on tires
 
As well as wear from accelerating, there's braking, if you brake hard into bends or when coming to a stop you wear the front tires out more. It could also be due to the axle (unlikely for both though but check if there's wear equally on the tire or on the inside/outside); or the wrong inflation.

25,000km is short for a premium tire like Michelin but if they're sporty versions etc it might be all you get. I tend to get 40,000km out of a set of 4. Are they really down to the limit or is the garage trying to recommend a purchase?

You can mix and match different front and rear tires, it's problematic when you do left/right.

dandi 17.07.2020 13:51

Re: Advice on tires
 
- How many mm left on the front tyres?
- How many mm left on rear tyres?
- Is any of the tyres worn unevenly (i.e. more on one edge than the other, or more in the middle than on the edge)
- Are there any differences between the tyres on the left and on the right side of the car?

- Have the tyres been swapped around or are they in the same position from new?
- Are you sure the tyres have been all mounted new at the same time?
- Are the tyres the same model (btw, which Michelin model - there are many price levels...)

25k is quite soon for tyres to be worn. Your car is heavy, but not exceptional. I drove more than 50k on my Michelins Premacy tyres - and the tyres weren't new when I got the car...

komsomolez 17.07.2020 13:56

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 3199722)
BMW xDrive by default sends more power to the rear wheels than to the front (40% vs 60%).

This.

lost_inbroad 17.07.2020 14:10

Re: Advice on tires
 
This
Quote:

As far as I know the X4 is front wheel drive (can shift to 4wd when needed), so it is normal that the front tyres wear of the most.

25K or 45K it depends on quality of tyres, the weather, driving style, weight etc..
and this
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 3199722)
BMW xDrive by default sends more power to the rear wheels than to the front (40% vs 60%).

This being said, the Modmobile runs like it's on rails. Not only is your favorite mod being complimented on his "smooth-as-butter" driving style by fellow passengers, no; check this out, he also got complimented by his mechanic. The brakes are virtually untouched and tires tend to last forvever. :rolleyes:

dandi 17.07.2020 14:15

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocando (Post 3199712)
On another note, can I replace the front tires with those of a different make?

There's different religions on this but I wouldn't. Why skimp on something so important and introduce even more variability that may end up causing problems later? It's better to aim to have tyres worn evenly across the car, and mixing brands can lead to more imbalances in wear, grip, stability, etc. That's a purist view, but if you spend 50k+ on a car it's a false economy to save a few hundreds on the most safety-important item that will keep you on the road for 5 years or more.

I just noticed that your car has different tyre sizes front/rear. It's odd that the fronts (which are narrower) get worn out more, I would expect the wider tires rear to be the ones where most traction and more wear? Check well the tyre history but something may be amiss if you get extensive front wear (issue with the XDrive?)

Ask around some BMW forums, you'll get some answers if this may be a known issue. I had a car before where there was a factory issue with tyre feathering across the model - it would wear the edges of the front tyres in 10-15k, and it was a RWD

erchegyia 17.07.2020 14:26

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocando (Post 3199712)
On another note, can I replace the front tires with those of a different make? The jury seems to be out on whether one should have different makes ( and therefore treads ) of tires on a car or not.

Check the recommendation of the manufacturer. Modern all-wheel drive systems could have weird requirements. On my FWD I do it without any problem, I just mount the newer/better ones to the front every time.

Nocando 17.07.2020 15:11

Re: Advice on tires
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi (Post 3199737)
- How many mm left on the front tyres?
- How many mm left on rear tyres?
- Is any of the tyres worn unevenly (i.e. more on one edge than the other, or more in the middle than on the edge)
- Are there any differences between the tyres on the left and on the right side of the car?

- Have the tyres been swapped around or are they in the same position from new?
- Are you sure the tyres have been all mounted new at the same time?
- Are the tyres the same model (btw, which Michelin model - there are many price levels...)

25k is quite soon for tyres to be worn. Your car is heavy, but not exceptional. I drove more than 50k on my Michelins Premacy tyres - and the tyres weren't new when I got the car...

Attached are pics of one of the rear tires and the 2 front tires. Pic 1 is the rear tire and as you can see, it looks almost new ( the other rear tire is in the same condition ), pic 2 is the left front tire and pic 3 is the right front tire. Both are much more worn than the rear tires and now I see that the outer rim of the right front tire is definitely more worn than the rest.
As regards your other questions:
- Not sure how and where to measure - sorry. Maybe at least 3 mm left on the rear tire.
- The guy who changes my wheels does swap them. But in the case of these tires he can only swap left and right because the front and rear are different widths / heights. He balances wheels every time he does the winter / summer change.
- The tires are all the same make / model - Michellin Primacy 3.
- Bought this car second hand in March last year ( 18000 kms ). It was in the winter so I did not really see if these tires looked to be of the same vintage. I can speak to the dealer but they are all mounted on original BMW wheels so I really doubt that 2 wheels / tires were older.
Thanks a ton.

Nocando 17.07.2020 15:14

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by erchegyia (Post 3199758)
Check the recommendation of the manufacturer. Modern all-wheel drive systems could have weird requirements. On my FWD I do it without any problem, I just mount the newer/better ones to the front every time.

Just spoke to BMW customer service and they suggested that I speak to Emil Frey. My problem is that no one speaks English at their Lausanne garage.

k_and_e 17.07.2020 15:30

Re: Advice on tires
 
Why not go on a tyre center and check if the wheels are correctly aligned? Incorrect alignment is often the issue of uneven wear.

Guest 17.07.2020 15:39

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi (Post 3199753)
There's different religions on this but I wouldn't.

I think there is very wide consensus that you should keep the front or rear tyres equal, and thus it is often advised to replace both left and right. As for having a small difference between the front and the rear nobody really cares and it is a waste of money to replace 4 tyres if only the front or rear has worn off.

dandi 17.07.2020 16:46

Re: Advice on tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocando (Post 3199772)
Attached are pics of one of the rear tires and the 2 front tires. Pic 1 is the rear tire and as you can see, it looks almost new ( the other rear tire is in the same condition ), pic 2 is the left front tire and pic 3 is the right front tire. Both are much more worn than the rear tires and now I see that the outer rim of the right front tire is definitely more worn than the rest.

Yes, there is visible uneven wear on the right tyre in the left side of the picture - this is quite bad actually. There is also some visible on the left tyre too (on the right side of the picture - I can't figure out the direction of travel) but not as bad.

This to me for sure looks like an alignment issue - this can be fixed in a tyre shop with a laser alignment machine; the right tyre might need replacing even after alignment as it looks quite worn on that side, but the tyre shop will advise you better than me.

But as about fronts vs rears - the rears look quite new to me! If you bought the car at 18k, and done 25k more and these are the original tyres the tyre has done nearly 40k - that rear tyre does not look like a tyre that did 40k! It barely looks like a 15k tyre to me

Check the manufacturing date on the tyres:
https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age
this may give you an idea if the rear tyres are newer. The date of manufacture may be 6months-1year before the date of fitting for new cars

The front tyres look normal-ish for 40k wear, looks like you still have about 1mm left until the wear marker (little strip on the main groove). That except the uneaven wear due to alignment for the right tyre.

Also you can check the thread depth with a simple coin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIkiCTx2XUM
When you do your servicing, the mechanic usually writes each tyre depth on the service sheet - do you have that?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:41.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0