Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 14.09.2020, 21:52
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,282
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,740 Times in 1,755 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
What I pay the garage to take the car to the MFK is less that what my sitter would charge me for the time I'd need to be away from home, so I figure that by 'outsourcing' the inspection I come out of it well ahead.
Kids or dogs? Very amusing! 😆

Quote:
View Post
YMMV.
What’s that?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 14.09.2020, 22:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 65
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
yarpen is considered knowledgeableyarpen is considered knowledgeableyarpen is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mfk 101

Some posts in this thread mentioned cleanliness - what level of cleanliness of the outer part of the car is expected? Am I expected to clean the chassis or the engine itself?

My car is 1.5 years old, it went through an inspection at dealer last month, but I'm starting to get worried after reading some of the comments here. While I'm pretty certain that no oil leaks can happen, I don't know how exactly clear should be the car.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 15.09.2020, 02:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,541
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 27,517 Times in 8,479 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Kids or dogs? Very amusing! ��



What’s that?
Dogs. Of course.

YMMV - Your mileage may vary. Which pretty much applies to any comment about how things work in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 15.09.2020, 05:02
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Some posts in this thread mentioned cleanliness - what level of cleanliness of the outer part of the car is expected? Am I expected to clean the chassis or the engine itself?

My car is 1.5 years old, it went through an inspection at dealer last month, but I'm starting to get worried after reading some of the comments here. While I'm pretty certain that no oil leaks can happen, I don't know how exactly clear should be the car.
Why do you need one on a car that is 1.5 years old?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 15.09.2020, 09:03
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,707
Groaned at 2,625 Times in 1,868 Posts
Thanked 39,822 Times in 18,782 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Normally for small faults you sign to say it will be fixed, works for private too.
Yes, but the garage dude has got them through with minor oil leaks, etc.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 15.09.2020, 09:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 65
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
yarpen is considered knowledgeableyarpen is considered knowledgeableyarpen is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Why do you need one on a car that is 1.5 years old?
Moving to Switzerland. Mfk test is required when getting Swiss plates for an "imported" car, even when it's brand new.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 15.09.2020, 09:45
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,565
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,554 Times in 3,388 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Why are MFKs so scary?

- importing a new car, they will see it's new and be more interested that it confirms to EU standards. If you have an oil leak on such a young car
- if your car is old and you did not get a letter, sit back and relax. Why worry about something out of your control? Just ensure you maintain your car according to the schedule set by the manufacturer
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 15.09.2020, 10:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Beckenried
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
ravmond has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mfk 101

This is probably a lot canton specific. However, where I come from (Nidwalden/Obwalden) - the MFK guys are actually pretty helpful and even when they have come across something not conformant - they have only given me some sort of acknowledgement that I would correct that non-conformity within one month (without going back to them to validate). Obviously - these were some minor things - e.g. worn-out tires which in their opinion could have represented risk; worn-out propeller on the boat etc). I have pushed a lot of inspections through MFK (various vehicles) and I've predominantly seen car owners being there for inspection with exception to old-timers (accompanied by mechanics). In terms of cleanliness - just give it a good sprey out-side (including the bottom) and some basic vacuuming inside and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ravmond for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 16.09.2020, 12:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 65
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
yarpen is considered knowledgeableyarpen is considered knowledgeableyarpen is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mfk 101

Since my car is relatively new, I was planning only to manually clean the engine with damp cloth, clean the inside carefully and go to local car wash for a normal program with cleaning of felgs and underbody. However, I checked the website of Zurich's Strasseverkehrsamt and found the following: "Das Fahrzeug muss den Vorschriften entsprechen, betriebssicher und gereinigt sein (Unterbodenwäsche der Autowaschanlage genügt nicht)."

That sounds oddly specific. If I follow the rules literally, then I would need to order a Pre-Mfk cleaning at a garage, but I want to avoid jet wash of engine at all costs. Anyone had a recent experience in Zurich and can share how anal are they when it comes to cleanliness?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 16.09.2020, 15:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,970
Groaned at 80 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,208 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

It's not so much the engine as the brake lines etc. They need to be able to see if there any fluid leaks, rust holes etc. If the wheel arches are caked in crud then they'll probably grumble.
I used to take mine to Aesch Waschanlage where they have a couple of lifts.
I've never done anything to the engine other than wipe the accessible parts down with a cloth.
You don't need to do a full concourse clean but many people seem to think this way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 16.09.2020, 19:25
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Since my car is relatively new, I was planning only to manually clean the engine with damp cloth, clean the inside carefully and go to local car wash for a normal program with cleaning of felgs and underbody. However, I checked the website of Zurich's Strasseverkehrsamt and found the following: "Das Fahrzeug muss den Vorschriften entsprechen, betriebssicher und gereinigt sein (Unterbodenwäsche der Autowaschanlage genügt nicht)."

That sounds oddly specific. If I follow the rules literally, then I would need to order a Pre-Mfk cleaning at a garage, but I want to avoid jet wash of engine at all costs. Anyone had a recent experience in Zurich and can share how anal are they when it comes to cleanliness?
Quick jet wash of a newish car will be fine, thats what I did with cars aged from 8 to 30 years & never had an issue.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 17.09.2020, 08:39
BasP72's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Adliswil (close to Zurich)
Posts: 1,932
Groaned at 89 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 1,785 Times in 852 Posts
BasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond reputeBasP72 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
It's not so much the engine as the brake lines etc. They need to be able to see if there any fluid leaks, rust holes etc. If the wheel arches are caked in crud then they'll probably grumble.
I used to take mine to Aesch Waschanlage where they have a couple of lifts.
I've never done anything to the engine other than wipe the accessible parts down with a cloth.
You don't need to do a full concourse clean but many people seem to think this way.
Well, my old 1979 Harley failed its MFK because the bottom of the engine was not clean. They said it needed to be clean so they could check the gaskets were sealing properly, had nothing to do with brake lines being close.

This thing leaked oil when brand new in the showroom back in 79...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BasP72 for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 22.03.2022, 11:51
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,434
Groaned at 313 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 6,890 Times in 2,914 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
A different view:

My knowledge of car maintainence is pretty much limited to remembering the garage phone number - and I really don't want to know anything else.

So I turn my car over the the garage, a small independant business in the village, whenever the MFK invite comes around. They do whatever is necessary, then take the car over for the inspection themselves. The car has passed with flying colors each time.

The MFK testing center I am assigned to is notorious for being nit-picky, and I honestly do not need that stress in my life.

What I pay the garage to take the car to the MFK is less that what my sitter would charge me for the time I'd need to be away from home, so I figure that by 'outsourcing' the inspection I come out of it well ahead.

YMMV.
Just got the "invite" to come to Pfaeffikon for MFK of a now 9 year old car that I bought 4 years ago with fresh MFK. I am thinking about jet washing the engine at one of those self-service car washes and then taking it there as is. Had a service done some weeks ago.

Does anyone have recent specific experience in Pfaeffikon and views on whether "nit picky" rep is justified?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 22.03.2022, 12:01
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 13,099
Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 20,131 Times in 8,913 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Had a service done some weeks ago.
An otherwise clean car should pass. Otherwise it is not the fault of the MFK, but whoever did the "service".
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 22.03.2022, 12:08
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,447
Groaned at 366 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 23,889 Times in 8,644 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Just got the "invite" to come to Pfaeffikon for MFK of a now 9 year old car that I bought 4 years ago with fresh MFK. I am thinking about jet washing the engine at one of those self-service car washes and then taking it there as is. Had a service done some weeks ago.

Does anyone have recent specific experience in Pfaeffikon and views on whether "nit picky" rep is justified?
Yes. I moved back to CH last year and imported a 2009 BMW Z4. It's a BMW so of course it leaks a bit... I went through the car wash at the migrol gas station next doo about 15 mins before my test and included the underfloor washing in the program. The other thing I did was to buy a new first aid kit as mine was expired for years (and apparently passed German Tüv with it). My tires had lots of thread but are a bit old (six or seven years). The Swiss tire shop told me I had to exchange them or had "not a chance" to pass MFK. I asked for a legal requirement of the age and the tire shop guy said "its a rule of thumb". So I decided to not only take a chance but actually asked the MFK guy about it. He was friendly, helpful and basically told me that the tire dealers are taking the piss and oversell a lot in CH. I passed without issue. He told me that I should check my gear box as it seemed to leak. i told him that I just got it fixed and he said "ok, so the stains are probably from before then, just keep an eye on it". I'd argue that it helped a lot that I speak German though...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 22.03.2022, 12:23
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,434
Groaned at 313 Times in 217 Posts
Thanked 6,890 Times in 2,914 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Yes. I moved back to CH last year and imported a 2009 BMW Z4. It's a BMW so of course it leaks a bit... I went through the car wash at the migrol gas station next doo about 15 mins before my test and included the underfloor washing in the program. The other thing I did was to buy a new first aid kit as mine was expired for years (and apparently passed German Tüv with it). My tires had lots of thread but are a bit old (six or seven years). The Swiss tire shop told me I had to exchange them or had "not a chance" to pass MFK. I asked for a legal requirement of the age and the tire shop guy said "its a rule of thumb". So I decided to not only take a chance but actually asked the MFK guy about it. He was friendly, helpful and basically told me that the tire dealers are taking the piss and oversell a lot in CH. I passed without issue. He told me that I should check my gear box as it seemed to leak. i told him that I just got it fixed and he said "ok, so the stains are probably from before then, just keep an eye on it". I'd argue that it helped a lot that I speak German though...
Thanks. First aid kit is a good point.

As for tires, I will await the inevitable letter from the dealership that will undoubtedly inform me that there are only 5 mm left and attach an offer for 900 CHF to replace them. Will not buy new ones unless we are getting close to 2 mm. Official limit is 1.6, right? So in theory 2mm should pass?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 22.03.2022, 12:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,942
Groaned at 408 Times in 301 Posts
Thanked 9,624 Times in 4,503 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

I’ve noted that many self-service car washes specifically prohibit washing of engines. Something to do with how they reclaim/reuse the water. YMMV.

I recall that they ask for a steam clean of the engine
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 23.03.2022, 00:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,970
Groaned at 80 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,208 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Just got the "invite" to come to Pfaeffikon for MFK of a now 9 year old car that I bought 4 years ago with fresh MFK. I am thinking about jet washing the engine at one of those self-service car washes and then taking it there as is.
Is the engine really dirty or at all oily? if not don't bother as it can cause problems. As I wrote before you do need to have clean brake lines etc.
I don't think first aid kits are required. Certainly not in Basel.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 23.03.2022, 10:24
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,447
Groaned at 366 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 23,889 Times in 8,644 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Is the engine really dirty or at all oily? if not don't bother as it can cause problems. As I wrote before you do need to have clean brake lines etc.
I don't think first aid kits are required. Certainly not in Basel.
You are right, I just checked it: both first aid kit and high viz vests are "recommended" but not mandatory. I'd highly recommend them though as they are mandatory in all neighbour countries...

"Where do I need I high visibility vest?" according to TCS:

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 23.03.2022, 13:28
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 13,099
Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 20,131 Times in 8,913 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mfk 101

Quote:
View Post
Certainly not in Basel.
Federal laws and regulations, thus same rules in all of Switzerland.

Quote:
View Post
I don't think first aid kits are required.
The only mandatory equipment in Switzerland in a passenger car is the warning triangle. Anything else is optional, recommended.

Here the source of Treverus' map:
https://www.tcs.ch/de/camping-reisen...igatorisch.php

Be aware, because the Swiss license plate has not incorporated the distinguish sing (the CH), you need an oval CH sticker when driving abroad. Same goes for motorcycles, where you need the same size of stickers as on cars. In praxis, you most often get away w/o any stocker, or a small sticker on a motorcycle. However, if the foreign police does not like your nose or how you looked at their car, they could give you a fine in the range of €20 up to €400 depending on country. It happened t people which thought they could be smart asses, arguing with police about other technicalities.
__________________
What?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
car inspection, garage, mfk




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0