English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Tesla Winter tyres (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/300906-tesla-winter-tyres.html)

Skrelz 27.10.2020 17:59

Tesla Winter tyres
 
Hello,
We have recently taken delivery of a Model X, and now it's time to change to winter tyres, we are wondering what other Tesla owners do.
Apparently, Tesla are partnered with Euromaster, how does this work? Do they just fit the tyres onto your existing rims or replace the whole wheel? Are they keenly priced or can a better price been found elsewhere?
TIA

AbFab 27.10.2020 19:52

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
You make an online appointment they supply a set of tyres and wheels if you ordered them when you bought the car.

Euromaster can keep your out of season wheels at a charge or you can take them home with you.

Tesla tyres apparently have foam in them. But you will only find out if...

I am having my winter tyres fitted on Friday...

gipfelisturmer 28.10.2020 09:23

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
I assume that the foam is inside with the purpose of noise reduction.
Otherwise no other technical purpose, so you can use any regular tyres for replacement - just look for low-noise (which probably also have foam), high pressure (as X is a heavy beast) alternatives.
No special "Tesla tyres" exists as they don't make tyres - most tyre manufacturers produce tyres with foam.

So no reason to go to any Tesla-tyre-specialist and pay their probably overcharged tyre/replacement/storage fees.
Unless you like to pay extra unnecessarily. :)

I use reifendirekt.ch to order tyres.
And an official garage across the border in DE to store and exchange my tyres.

Skrelz 28.10.2020 09:36

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 3232012)
You make an online appointment they supply a set of tyres and wheels if you ordered them when you bought the car.

Euromaster can keep your out of season wheels at a charge or you can take them home with you.

Tesla tyres apparently have foam in them. But you will only find out if...

I am having my winter tyres fitted on Friday...

So when you ring Euromaster do you have to give any reference number?
I'm sure we bought the winter tyres when we ordered, but so long ago I can't remember.
I emailed Euromaster and they just quoted me 1600chf for new tyres.
I thought they would ask for the VIN or something?

Axa 28.10.2020 12:40

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrelz (Post 3232179)
So when you ring Euromaster do you have to give any reference number?
I'm sure we bought the winter tyres when we ordered, but so long ago I can't remember.
I emailed Euromaster and they just quoted me 1600chf for new tyres.
I thought they would ask for the VIN or something?


This kind of things are in the contract. Just read it, somewhere there should be the price of the winter tires. If not there, you did not buy them.

AbFab 28.10.2020 12:47

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrelz (Post 3232179)
So when you ring Euromaster do you have to give any reference number?
I'm sure we bought the winter tyres when we ordered, but so long ago I can't remember.
I emailed Euromaster and they just quoted me 1600chf for new tyres.
I thought they would ask for the VIN or something?

You must surely have an invoice from Tesla (usually by email) for the original purchase?? If you bought winter tyres they will be on it.

I have 18" Pirelli Winterreifensatz at CHF1874.60* - so your price from Euromaster is cheaper!

If you complete Euromaster's online booking form which requests your VIN and other details and whether Euromaster store your tyres. If you say yes then all will be OK. I guess if they don't cross reference with any then you don't have any...

*that's with standard Teslas Model 3 wheels too, but not aerohubs.

Skrelz 28.10.2020 18:19

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Yes I found the invoice in the Tesla account. We did buy the winter tyres.
Euromaster should have took our VIN and they can see if we have wheels.
I have now got an appointment to have them fitted.

Will they just charge a fitting fee now? if so roughly how much?

TIA

fatmanfilms 28.10.2020 18:25

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 3232317)
You must surely have an invoice from Tesla (usually by email) for the original purchase?? If you bought winter tyres they will be on it.

I have 18" Pirelli Winterreifensatz at CHF1874.60* - so your price from Euromaster is cheaper!

If you complete Euromaster's online booking form which requests your VIN and other details and whether Euromaster store your tyres. If you say yes then all will be OK. I guess if they don't cross reference with any then you don't have any...

*that's with standard Teslas Model 3 wheels too, but not aerohubs.

I can see why the share price is so high, their customers are not price sensitive :D, will that last, I doubt it.

AbFab 28.10.2020 18:40

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrelz (Post 3232593)
Yes I found the invoice in the Tesla account. We did buy the winter tyres.
Euromaster should have took our VIN and they can see if we have wheels.
I have now got an appointment to have them fitted.

Will they just charge a fitting fee now? if so roughly how much?

TIA

Have to say I am surprised you are worried about the cost after the above. I paid CHF179 in March for changing to summer wheels and storage and cleaning of the winter ones.

Skrelz 28.10.2020 19:22

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Not worried but like to have a ballpark just in case they try a fast one.

WilliamTell 28.10.2020 20:31

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
I always use the tire shop in (or closest to) my village for my pneumatic questions.

Interestingly, I just had my winter tires put on, and I noticed a pattern. The more expensive the car the more expensive the service.

I also noticed, that the more expensive the car, the better the service ;)

Anyone else noticed this pattern?

AbFab 28.10.2020 20:46

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTell (Post 3232641)
I always use the tire shop in (or closest to) my village for my pneumatic questions.

Interestingly, I just had my winter tires put on, and I noticed a pattern. The more expensive the car the more expensive the service.

I also noticed, that the more expensive the car, the better the service ;)

Anyone else noticed this pattern?

Teslas do not get serviced...

WilliamTell 28.10.2020 20:49

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
.. the tires do, and it will cost more for a Tesla, as a Tesla is an expensive car. That is my observation.

AbFab 28.10.2020 22:42

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTell (Post 3232650)
.. the tires do, and it will cost more for a Tesla, as a Tesla is an expensive car. That is my observation.

Your observation - but not experience??

Landers 28.10.2020 22:51

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrelz (Post 3232625)
Not worried but like to have a ballpark just in case they try a fast one.




"TIS" of course they'll pull a fast one! Good luck!





For the prices yes I call this the BMW effect, pull up in a decent beamer and the price doubles.

Treverus 29.10.2020 10:36

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
I am always amazed how people can struggle with something as banal as "calling up the tire guys and ask them"...

Axa 29.10.2020 10:58

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 3232820)
I am always amazed how people can struggle with something as banal as "calling up the tire guys and ask them"...

Because we don't have to? I get an email reminder from the dealership that I need to schedule an appointment to get the winter tires installed on the car :D

gipfelisturmer 29.10.2020 11:23

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 3232602)
Have to say I am surprised you are worried about the cost after the above. I paid CHF179 in March for changing to summer wheels and storage and cleaning of the winter ones.

And even that is too high.
20E for change.
45E for storage of 18" wheels/tyres (16" are 40E IIRC).

- - -

To the tyre price of 1600-1900 for a winter set - LOL. :msnshock:
At https://www.reifendirekt.ch/ 3 top brands for 235/45/R18 cost less than a 1000 for 4 (e.g. your potential Pirelli).
And you can send those to any garage of your choice or your home.
Buit suit yourself, if you don't care about efficiently applying your cash.

AbFab 29.10.2020 11:34

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbucar (Post 3232856)
And even that is too high.
20E for change.
45E for storage of 18" wheels/tyres (16" are 40E IIRC).

- - -

To the tyre price of 1600-1900 for a winter set - LOL. :msnshock:
At https://www.reifendirekt.ch/ 3 top brands for 235/45/R18 cost less than a 1000 for 4 (e.g. your potential Pirelli).
Buit suit yourself, if you don't care about efficiently applying your cash.

You see, I cannot be arsed finding what tyres are needed, ordering them and then faffing having them fitted to wheels and then having them exchanged for summer wheels...

...and I don't need to :D

gipfelisturmer 29.10.2020 11:46

Re: Tesla Winter tyres
 
To each her/his own, indeed. :) :cheers:


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0