Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.11.2020, 14:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: zurich
Posts: 432
Groaned at 46 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Jamboree is considered knowledgeableJamboree is considered knowledgeableJamboree is considered knowledgeable
Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Location:Zurich

I have a car
I have paid to park in the Blue zones
In front of my apartment there is about 10 Blue zone spaces.

There are also unmarked (ticketable) spots that fit about 2 or 3 cars

On the weekends I see cars parking in these NON blue zone / Ticketable spots.
and I don't see them ticketed or towed.

my question is this.
Do the ticket people / tow people work on the weekends? Is it an unwritten rule that says I can park in these spots without worry on the weekends.

I want so badly to use these spots on the weekend when I get home from a long trip but I'm alway's worried that I'll get a ticket.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.11.2020, 14:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post

On the weekends I see cars parking in these NON blue zone / Ticketable spots.
and I don't see them ticketed or towed.

my question is this.
Do the ticket people / tow people work on the weekends? Is it an unwritten rule that says I can park in these spots without worry on the weekends.
Have you checked what is actually written? There should be a notice on the meter or a separate sign - usually there are specified hours outside of which you don't need to pay for parking, and often these could include all day at weekends, or just Sundays, depending on the circumstances.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.11.2020, 15:05
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
Do the ticket people / tow people work on the weekends? Is it an unwritten rule that says I can park in these spots without worry on the weekends.
The simple answer is - yes they may do, and no there isn't.

Unwritten rules in Switzerland typically take the form of extra things you can't do, not the other way around

But as Ace1 says, there may be a written rule allowing it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.11.2020, 18:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: zurich
Posts: 432
Groaned at 46 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Jamboree is considered knowledgeableJamboree is considered knowledgeableJamboree is considered knowledgeable
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
The simple answer is - yes they may do, and no there isn't.

Unwritten rules in Switzerland typically take the form of extra things you can't do, not the other way around

But as Ace1 says, there may be a written rule allowing it.
these are spots that have no lines. there is NO sign that says you can or can NOT park there. imagine it this way.... The road is 100 meters long, the blue area is 75 meters long, that leaves 25meters that has NO parking lines. people tend to park in this area on the weekends.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.11.2020, 19:23
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
these are spots that have no lines. there is NO sign that says you can or can NOT park there. imagine it this way.... The road is 100 meters long, the blue area is 75 meters long, that leaves 25meters that has NO parking lines. people tend to park in this area on the weekends.
I'm confused. In the first post you said the other space was ticketable, and asked whether you would get caught if not using a ticket.

Now you're saying it has no lines at all?

In the latter case, maybe you can park there, but if the police think it's blocking access or is unsafe you can get fined. If they haven't put any lines, I guess there's a good chance this would be the case.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.11.2020, 22:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,767
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,114 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
I'm confused.
You misunderstood. By ticketable OP means you should get issued with a parking ticket (fine) if you park there and wonders why that never actually happens.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.11.2020, 22:45
Bossa Nova's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 210
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 500 Times in 140 Posts
Bossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
Location:Zurich

I have a car
I have paid to park in the Blue zones
In front of my apartment there is about 10 Blue zone spaces.

There are also unmarked (ticketable) spots that fit about 2 or 3 cars

On the weekends I see cars parking in these NON blue zone / Ticketable spots.
and I don't see them ticketed or towed.

my question is this.
Do the ticket people / tow people work on the weekends? Is it an unwritten rule that says I can park in these spots without worry on the weekends.

I want so badly to use these spots on the weekend when I get home from a long trip but I'm alway's worried that I'll get a ticket.
I think parking control on the weekends is pretty minimal, especially if you're not in a zone that is highly desirable for parking (e.g. within short walking distance of the high street shops). However, that doesn't make parking in the non-blue spots you describe legal, I would say park at your own risk. If it's Sunday evening with knowledge you'll leave at 7:00 on Monday, I'd probably risk it, but it's probably not a great idea to arrive at 8:00 on Saturday morning and leave the car there all weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.11.2020, 23:30
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
You misunderstood. By ticketable OP means you should get issued with a parking ticket (fine) if you park there and wonders why that never actually happens.
Ah, yes that also makes sense.

OP - how do you know nobody gets ticketed?

Checking is probably pretty minimal, and almost non-existent on a Sunday, so ticketing is rare. The chance of you happening to see it is even lower.

Sounds like it's a question of your risk tolerance...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.11.2020, 10:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: zurich
Posts: 432
Groaned at 46 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Jamboree is considered knowledgeableJamboree is considered knowledgeableJamboree is considered knowledgeable
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
Ah, yes that also makes sense.

OP - how do you know nobody gets ticketed?

Checking is probably pretty minimal, and almost non-existent on a Sunday, so ticketing is rare. The chance of you happening to see it is even lower.

Sounds like it's a question of your risk tolerance...
I never see a ticket on the front window of the car. So I assumed they were not ticketed.

And more importantly --- I continue to see the same car in these spots often enough (not alway's just enough times to make me think they find it "safe").

And please understand, I'm not concerned about these cars - I don't mind they park there, I don't mind they don't receive a ticket..... When I return home from a long drive and I want to park in these spots to unload my car I alway's get the feeling that a cop is right around the corner and ticket / tow my car when I least expect it. So what I'm really getting at is calming my nerves in using these spots when I feel it's not going to be a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.11.2020, 11:01
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,778
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
So what I'm really getting at is calming my nerves in using these spots when I feel it's not going to be a problem.
As the other have said. Go and read what is stated on the parking meter. On many spots outside the city center parking is free on Sundays and Holidays. In addition you can even throw in a coin and the clock will only start ticking on Monday morning. This can give you an other hour or two of parking.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 02.11.2020, 14:13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 204
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 177 Times in 89 Posts
rezak is considered knowledgeablerezak is considered knowledgeablerezak is considered knowledgeable
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
these are spots that have no lines. there is NO sign that says you can or can NOT park there. imagine it this way.... The road is 100 meters long, the blue area is 75 meters long, that leaves 25meters that has NO parking lines. people tend to park in this area on the weekends.
You are assuming that a street without parking indication means that by default the parking is forbidden. Isn't it the other way around within the city limit?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.11.2020, 14:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
You are assuming that a street without parking indication means that by default the parking is forbidden. Isn't it the other way around within the city limit?
I don't know about Zurich specifically, but in most cities it is not (the other way round). Parking is only allowed where there are white spaces or other specific signs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 02.11.2020, 14:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,767
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,114 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
As the other have said. Go and read what is stated on the parking meter. On many spots outside the city center parking is free on Sundays and Holidays. In addition you can even throw in a coin and the clock will only start ticking on Monday morning. This can give you an other hour or two of parking.

There are no meters - these 'spaces' are just parts of the street where it would be possible to park a car.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.11.2020, 19:11
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,445
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 12,561 Times in 4,281 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

My understanding is that street parking is and always has been free on Sundays in the town of Zurich...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02.11.2020, 20:00
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,778
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
I don't know about Zurich specifically, but in most cities it is not (the other way round). Parking is only allowed where there are white spaces or other specific signs.
I know the Swiss traffic rules
Parking is allowed unless it is forbidden by the presence of signs or some other rules "basic" rules.

One of those rules is a bit unknown: Parking outside marked places is forbidden if there are marked spaces nearby (*). This rule is not in the VRV (Traffic rule ordinance) but in the SSV (Street signal ordinance). Art. 79 Abs. 1_ter SSV

Or in other words: Yes you can be ticketed if you park at the end of blue zone spots. But as there is very likely no parking warden on Sundays you might get away with it. Fine according the price list is the usual one illegal parking offences.
No. 252.a up to 2h - CHF 40
No. 252.b up to 4h - CHF 60
No. 252.c up to 10h - CHF 100

After 10h that you get a citation and judge/prosecutor can freely decide on the fine. In addition you will get a warning from the driving license authority (or ban if you got a warning in the last 2 years.). On top of that you will have to pay some eyewatering fees. You normally only get towed when you are hindering others. You might get a clamp if you have foreign plates.

(*) The definition of nearby has been subject to some court cases. It is defined as 5 to 6 car length.
https://www.bger.ch/ext/eurospider/l...ment&zoom=YES&
https://www.bger.ch/ext/eurospider/l...=show_document

Quote:
View Post
My understanding is that street parking is and always has been free on Sundays in the town of Zurich...
Often. But not everywhere. Be specially careful in the city center, near the lake, and around the zoo.
__________________
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 03.11.2020, 11:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Schlieren
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
ItalianInZuri has earned some respectItalianInZuri has earned some respect
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

You can park for a maximum of 60 minutes free of charge in the 'blue zones', as they are called. Plus the rest of the half hour already begun. The clock on the mandatory parking disc must be set to the next half-hour mark after the time when you park. In a 'blue zone', you do not need a parking disc from 6.00 pm until 7.59 am.

Blue parking space
In the so-called "Blue Zone" you can park for free for one hour. Plus the half hour already started. Vehicles may be parked in the Blue Zone for one hour on weekdays and Saturdays between 08:00 and 11:30 and between 13:30 and 18:00. On Sundays and public holidays no parking disc is required. Since the parking disc is to be set to the half hour following the actual arrival time, the vehicle can be parked for longer than the allowed hour. At best, up to 29 minutes longer.

Example: Arrival 10:01, the parking disc can be set to 10:30 and you can park until 11:30. The obligatory parking disc must be set to the next half-hour mark. From 6:00 pm to 7:59 am you do not need a parking disc in the "Blue Zone".
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03.11.2020, 13:16
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,778
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking in the Blue zone, and not parking there

Quote:
View Post
At best, up to 29 minutes longer.
.
At best it is actually 30 minutes longer. If you arrive sharp to the hour the next mark is at half past. And if you arrive at half past sharp the next mark is the one at the full hour.

This is the official rule. https://www.admin.ch/opc/de/classifi...tml#app3ahref1 and also mentioned on the parking discs. Furthermore there is a period over noon where you can park for up to 3h.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Zone parking - Where do I get it Jamboree Transportation/driving 16 19.10.2017 11:44
Blue zone parking dial Newby2 Transportation/driving 13 25.07.2012 08:38
Blue Zone parking card Papa Goose Transportation/driving 7 12.09.2011 17:54
Blue zone parking fine chriscd Transportation/driving 13 14.07.2011 15:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0