Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 31.01.2021, 15:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 903
Groaned at 157 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 841 Times in 451 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Here itís generally Italian cars which drive 55-60 in a 50 and an 80. They donít seem to be able to read speed limit signs so just drive the same speed everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 31.01.2021, 15:33
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,342 Times in 18,543 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Here itís generally Italian cars which drive 55-60 in a 50 and an 80. They donít seem to be able to read speed limit signs so just drive the same speed everywhere.
VERY true.

Or they do 50 in the 80, and 80 in the 50.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 31.01.2021, 15:35
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,342 Times in 18,543 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
My wife finds it difficult to park.
My wife is also pretty bad at parking.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 31.01.2021, 15:36
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,776
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,666 Times in 7,843 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Yeah - I had a guy do this in the snow (at night) last weekend over Ricken pass; I was doing a steady 60-70 and he was right up my arse and even flashed his lights on one bit where I slowed down because it was hard to judge the edge of the road. So I pulled over - and he did a very unsteady <60 from then on with brake lights flashing at every flurry of snow. Moron.
I hope you returned the favour!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 31.01.2021, 15:38
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,776
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,666 Times in 7,843 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

I sometimes drive 30-40 in a 50 limit road. If I'm not in a hurry, I just chill out/zone out.

Sometimes I just do just 110 on a 130 limit road. It depends on my mood.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 31.01.2021, 15:55
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,354
Groaned at 90 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 19,674 Times in 8,704 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Actually a potentially helpful comment - maybe she should take Swiss lessons and take her test here. It might help her confidence / skills. The process is pretty thorough here compared to most countries.
Agree, or at least do more practice together where she's driving but he's in the passenger seat. And practice parking. You shouldn't have to swap drivers just to park the car.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 31.01.2021, 16:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 903
Groaned at 157 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 841 Times in 451 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Agree, or at least do more practice together where she's driving but he's in the passenger seat. And practice parking. You shouldn't have to swap drivers just to park the car.
It takes a special skill to tolerate and be helpful. Best left to the pros in my experience!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 31.01.2021, 16:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,630
Groaned at 503 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 12,819 Times in 6,647 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
We got followed by a car for 10 minutes to our home, and they called the police who visited us at our house, and took an alcohol test for both me and my wife. Because we were driving slowly late at night. Police mentioned the flow concept, but there is no flow with only two cars in my opinion. We noticed we were followed, and the guys got out of their car to see where we live, and made us really unsecure at that time ( not knowing that they did this because they thought the driver was drunk, and planning to call the police). I was planning to make a complaint or something like this for this stalking thing, but after reading all these experiences I dont think I will bother
That's what you perceived. Just how do you know that was the reason? and there was nothing else?

The problem with your description is that you only register (and potentially remember) what you perceive. When you're engaged in conversation with a loved one that's what you will focus on, and your brain will automatically ignore lots of other stuff, maybe even everything else.

You say your speed was clearly below the limit. Obviously on average. Which may well mean that you were doing 50 at some point and 90 at another in a 80km/h zone, that's 70 on average. To someone driving behind you such would be a clear indicator of the driver not paying attention to the road/traffic, for unknown but often obvious reasons.

The other is your wife's driving. Moving within the lane, left-right-left-right, wouldn't be too unusual while in conversation. You, the passenger, might not notice because you're not driving, and the driver may immediately forget about it whenever she's moving back towards the center of the lane because there's more important stuff (the conversation with her loved one) to focus on.

In this time and age you should expect to have been filmed in such an occasion. It's not useable in court but the police will still see it as supporting evidence to a report made. Heck, they'd be stupid if they didn't. They wouldn't show up at your door in the middle of the night and have you both(!) take a blow test unless there was more than just a couple in one car placing an otherwise uncorroborated report.

There's a reason why most drivers think their own driving is far above average even though that's mathematically impossible. You may well have fallen victim to the same mechanisms.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 31.01.2021, 16:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,630
Groaned at 503 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 12,819 Times in 6,647 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
My wife is also pretty bad at parking.

Tom
That's only because you don't let her improve by saying "let me handle that"
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 31.01.2021, 16:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,342 Times in 18,543 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
That's only because you don't let her improve by saying "let me handle that"
Sometimes she gives up and lets me do it.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 31.01.2021, 17:22
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,100
Groaned at 67 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,588 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Sometimes she gives up and lets me do it.

Tom
And who fills up the tank?
https://youtu.be/3fUJgFfWCKo
https://youtu.be/uOVJAcLHBYc
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 31.01.2021, 17:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Wetzikon
Posts: 17
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 8 Posts
IoanaC is considered knowledgeableIoanaC is considered knowledgeableIoanaC is considered knowledgeable
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
That's what you perceived. Just how do you know that was the reason? and there was nothing else?

The problem with your description is that you only register (and potentially remember) what you perceive. When you're engaged in conversation with a loved one that's what you will focus on, and your brain will automatically ignore lots of other stuff, maybe even everything else.

You say your speed was clearly below the limit. Obviously on average. Which may well mean that you were doing 50 at some point and 90 at another in a 80km/h zone, that's 70 on average. To someone driving behind you such would be a clear indicator of the driver not paying attention to the road/traffic, for unknown but often obvious reasons.

The other is your wife's driving. Moving within the lane, left-right-left-right, wouldn't be too unusual while in conversation. You, the passenger, might not notice because you're not driving, and the driver may immediately forget about it whenever she's moving back towards the center of the lane because there's more important stuff (the conversation with her loved one) to focus on.

In this time and age you should expect to have been filmed in such an occasion. It's not useable in court but the police will still see it as supporting evidence to a report made. Heck, they'd be stupid if they didn't. They wouldn't show up at your door in the middle of the night and have you both(!) take a blow test unless there was more than just a couple in one car placing an otherwise uncorroborated report.

There's a reason why most drivers think their own driving is far above average even though that's mathematically impossible. You may well have fallen victim to the same mechanisms.
Of course I can just speculate what they were thinking, and try to put myself in their shoes. And the only thing I can't seem to understand is the part where they followed us. Oh, and being weirded out because I checked on them and looked back. The police told us specifically this thing - that they found it weird I looked back and checked on them. That's kind of stupid, you follow somebody and then you feel violated because whoever you are stalking looks back?

I didn't say anything about driving, probably it wasn't top. I just complained about being followed, which I don't think it's normal. One thing is to be a good citizen and report something suspect, another thing is to delegate yourself the attribution of police. Remember, I had no idea about the reason of why they followed us. They tailgated us, and stayed behind us for more than 10 minute, so we were kind of scared. It's not normal to have this kind of thrill in the middle of the night, just because somebody suspects something. You are innocent until proven guilty, not the other way.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank IoanaC for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 31.01.2021, 18:09
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,354
Groaned at 90 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 19,674 Times in 8,704 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Of course I can just speculate what they were thinking, and try to put myself in their shoes. And the only thing I can't seem to understand is the part where they followed us. Oh, and being weirded out because I checked on them and looked back. The police told us specifically this thing - that they found it weird I looked back and checked on them. That's kind of stupid, you follow somebody and then you feel violated because whoever you are stalking looks back?

I didn't say anything about driving, probably it wasn't top. I just complained about being followed, which I don't think it's normal. One thing is to be a good citizen and report something suspect, another thing is to delegate yourself the attribution of police. Remember, I had no idea about the reason of why they followed us. They tailgated us, and stayed behind us for more than 10 minute, so we were kind of scared. It's not normal to have this kind of thrill in the middle of the night, just because somebody suspects something. You are innocent until proven guilty, not the other way.
Maybe I've seen too many Hollywood movies but...if you think someone dodgy is following you, the last place you should guide them is to your own house. Drive around other streets, get on the freeway, stop for gas, whatever. Have the person in the passenger seat call a friend to meet you at a gas station.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 31.01.2021, 18:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Wetzikon
Posts: 17
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 8 Posts
IoanaC is considered knowledgeableIoanaC is considered knowledgeableIoanaC is considered knowledgeable
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Maybe I've seen too many Hollywood movies but...if you think someone dodgy is following you, the last place you should guide them is to your own house. Drive around other streets, get on the freeway, stop for gas, whatever. Have the person in the passenger seat call a friend to meet you at a gas station.
I thought at some point they were our neighbors or something like that... we started being afraid when they stopped their car behind us, and it was already too late. Anyway, thanks everybody for the feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 31.01.2021, 18:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 1,419
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,592 Times in 986 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
That's what you perceived. Just how do you know that was the reason? and there was nothing else?

The problem with your description is that you only register (and potentially remember) what you perceive. When you're engaged in conversation with a loved one that's what you will focus on, and your brain will automatically ignore lots of other stuff, maybe even everything else.

You say your speed was clearly below the limit. Obviously on average. Which may well mean that you were doing 50 at some point and 90 at another in a 80km/h zone, that's 70 on average. To someone driving behind you such would be a clear indicator of the driver not paying attention to the road/traffic, for unknown but often obvious reasons.

The other is your wife's driving. Moving within the lane, left-right-left-right, wouldn't be too unusual while in conversation. You, the passenger, might not notice because you're not driving, and the driver may immediately forget about it whenever she's moving back towards the center of the lane because there's more important stuff (the conversation with her loved one) to focus on.

In this time and age you should expect to have been filmed in such an occasion. It's not useable in court but the police will still see it as supporting evidence to a report made. Heck, they'd be stupid if they didn't. They wouldn't show up at your door in the middle of the night and have you both(!) take a blow test unless there was more than just a couple in one car placing an otherwise uncorroborated report.

There's a reason why most drivers think their own driving is far above average even though that's mathematically impossible. You may well have fallen victim to the same mechanisms.
Even if filmed, what if they would have had a drink after arriving at home?
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01.02.2021, 10:55
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 159
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 86 Posts
bokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeable
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Here it’s generally Italian cars which drive 55-60 in a 50 and an 80. They don’t seem to be able to read speed limit signs so just drive the same speed everywhere.
Funny you mention this... I have an Italian colleague who drives as you described.
Couple of times I had to point out that we're now on an 80 road and being tailgated with 3 more cars behind.
On the other hand, early last year he got done for doing 52 on a 30!

Last edited by bokabil; 01.02.2021 at 12:25.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bokabil for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 01.02.2021, 13:01
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,891
Groaned at 56 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,457 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps they were off duty cops who called it in to their coworkers after they had an address.

Tom
I guess this is the answer: bored cops. Who else follows slow drivers to their homes when one overtakes them at the first possible opportunity and forgets about them?

And since when the police takes action after one call like that from a concerned citizen? Yes sir, the driver in front of me was driving slow, I followed them home and took their plates and address. I'm sure that if I do that call, the put me on hold a good minute to laugh about it.

If OP checked the plates from the car that followed, it's possible to check their address too.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01.02.2021, 13:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 903
Groaned at 157 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 841 Times in 451 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
Funny you mention this... I have an Italian colleague who drives as you described.
Couple of times I had to point out that we're now on an 80 road and being tailgated with 3 more cars behind.
On the other hand, early last year he got done for doing 52 on a 30!
there you go! 55 (minus allowance) whatever the road!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01.02.2021, 13:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 903
Groaned at 157 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 841 Times in 451 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post

If OP checked the plates from the car that followed, it's possible to check their address too.
not usually. who doesn't withhold their details from the public database?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01.02.2021, 13:26
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,891
Groaned at 56 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,457 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving too slow in a 50 km/h zone

Quote:
View Post
not usually. who doesn't withhold their details from the public database?
I'll do it if I get hate mail from my driving, it's a ongoing experiment. Nothing happened so far.

And if the plates don't appear in the database, it means paranoid concerned citizen or cop.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
driving, low limits, slow speed




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving 130kph in a 100kph Zone Roders Transportation/driving 5 16.04.2020 11:08
Driving a Swiss diesel into London Low Emission Zone ipoddle Transportation/driving 16 28.08.2017 08:19
Car Driving - Entry into No Entry Zone with Tram Track nachieket Transportation/driving 26 20.07.2012 19:30
Why do cars slow down when driving past a brothel? olygirl Daily life 41 01.02.2011 13:11
zone extension to 24hr zone 10 pass?? josk Transportation/driving 5 22.02.2007 18:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0