Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05.01.2021, 22:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aigle
Posts: 64
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 28 Posts
BenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Wow. Thanks for this. My father in law (German-speaking Swiss car nut) is checking out a car for me on Friday. So Iíll forward this on to him as something to check. Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05.01.2021, 22:18
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 1,427
Groaned at 63 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 2,715 Times in 1,058 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

I guess any oil leakage is a big no no.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06.01.2021, 15:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aigle
Posts: 64
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 28 Posts
BenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

For my next question - and considering TCO, obviously higher than for a 1.8T Passat - where do you guys who own BMWs get the servicing done? I've read about circa. CHF1000 for oil changes at dealerships, so I'd prefer to go down the independent route in line with the servicing schedule. So do you know of any good indies who really specialize in the marque here in Switzerland. Or would you advise driving to Central France or Central Germany for, say, a full service? N.B. My parents live in rural Normandy - likely a deal cheaper there
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06.01.2021, 15:41
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 1,427
Groaned at 63 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 2,715 Times in 1,058 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
For my next question - and considering TCO, obviously higher than for a 1.8T Passat - where do you guys who own BMWs get the servicing done? I've read about circa. CHF1000 for oil changes at dealerships, so I'd prefer to go down the independent route in line with the servicing schedule. So do you know of any good indies who really specialize in the marque here in Switzerland. Or would you advise driving to Central France or Central Germany for, say, a full service? N.B. My parents live in rural Normandy - likely a deal cheaper there
I had/have mine at BMW Switzerland as long as the 100k service was included. They still try to rip you on liquids, but rest is free. After that, either service at "free" garage in Switzerland or at BMW in Germany. Not so easy to find a good one though.

TCO: Check tax and insurance as well. might be quite some difference to the 150 hp Passat. I pay something like 550 CHF tax for the 330d here in SZ (hp only). On insurance, Teilkasko.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 06.01.2021, 18:38
Neko's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Vaud
Posts: 220
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 172 Times in 103 Posts
Neko is considered knowledgeableNeko is considered knowledgeableNeko is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

I've had a BMW oil change on my 5 Series and it was CHF 425.


BMW in France is one quarter to a third cheaper for servicing and parts and not much cheaper if you go further into rural France. I've used a Bosch garage several times (they get a lot of the OEM parts, offer a guarantee) in France, pleasantly cheap.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Neko for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 06.01.2021, 18:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aigle
Posts: 64
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 28 Posts
BenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Thanks. Yep, the vehicle tax is eye-watering here in Vaud (don't get me started on income tax here!) and another reason why I'm keen on a move to an appropriate German-speaking canton in time. I'm primed for a large increase if I go down the 530 route, due to their calculation based on weight and power. Appreciate the heads up on garages. Guess you just have to do your research. Needed something urgent done on the old Passat a few years ago and found an unassuming backstreet garage in Aigle that I took a chance on. Well, it's a friendly family business with decent mechanics and reasonable prices. They seem motivated to go the extra mile to keep my custom. Not sure if it's the place for the BMW if I go down that route. But will see!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07.01.2021, 21:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 611
Groaned at 64 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 429 Times in 229 Posts
saiya-jin has earned the respect of manysaiya-jin has earned the respect of manysaiya-jin has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Damn, you sir are looking for exactly same car I am casually looking, a damn fine choice for basically any situation... although decided to keep my 330d E46 a bit longer and drive it to the ground, since resale of it is probably almost zero, being diesel from 2003.

One advice - be careful about 535d model, I heard a friend saying the second turbo doesn't really add to reliability, in opposite.

As for garages, paying 400 chuffs for simple oil change is ridiculous - no need for authorized garage for that. Heck, I had it done once in Geneva center in garage next to work for some 250 CHF filters and all and that's still a ridiculous amount for me. I do servicing back home whenever I can, guy is a proper expert who can take apart the car to last nut and doesn't rip me off on parts either.

It really pays of hugely to go with car even 1000km for a serious service, and its not that Suisse garages are experts - they are +- as good as the rest, definitely massively subpar to my guy, but I've been lucky and come from shitty cheap eastern country
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank saiya-jin for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 08.01.2021, 00:17
Sultan of Swing's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bššrn
Posts: 198
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts
Sultan of Swing has earned the respect of manySultan of Swing has earned the respect of manySultan of Swing has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

5-er is not only spacious inside but also takes up quite some space parking-wise which is a concern in this tiny country with its tiny garages and Abstellplštze.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sultan of Swing for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 08.01.2021, 07:15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aigle
Posts: 64
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 28 Posts
BenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Saiya-Jin - thanks for the tips! Yes, Iíve come to the conclusion that the 530d is plenty enough power for me in any case. Coupled with x-drive it really does seem to be a beast. Funnily enough, we looked at a 335d touring in Geneva over Xmas. Couldnít test the car as the garage was extremely dodgy (car forlornly sat at the back of the lot covered in dirt and leaves) but I sat inside it. First impression that the cabin was very cramped versus my old Passat - and Iím 195cm so thatís an issue - which is why weíve turned to the 5. Having scoured the second-hand market for a while what also draws me to the 530 over the 535 is that the 530s out there seem to be specced more for comfort than speed, and maybe this was reflected in the type of original owner. Lots of 530s specced with the luxury line trim with lovely leathers and woods rather than M-style interior, and the former appeals to me. I have a wife and toddler - so it canít be a Ďno compromisesí car! Anyway, Iím looking at a car tomorrow so Iíll let you know how it goes
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BenVevey for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 08.01.2021, 21:33
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: zugish
Posts: 233
Groaned at 14 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 106 Posts
mossie has earned the respect of manymossie has earned the respect of manymossie has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

I need to replace my diesel now aswell but drive mostly on highways for work mostly long distances and need to carry toolboxes so a big estate or SUV is what I use or plan to buy.The hybrid/benzines make no sense as I will rarely use the battery powered except few runs around home. If I’m at home I walk or take the train usually.

The MPG on petrol engine is really crap will cost me a fortune so I think I will just buy a second hand diesel again and hope I don’t get barred out of too many cities but won’t be driving to London or Paris.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08.01.2021, 21:58
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,405
Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,877 Times in 11,052 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
I've had a BMW oil change on my 5 Series and it was CHF 425.


BMW in France is one quarter to a third cheaper for servicing and parts and not much cheaper if you go further into rural France. I've used a Bosch garage several times (they get a lot of the OEM parts, offer a guarantee) in France, pleasantly cheap.
You can get OEM parts. I always ordered from eurocarparts.com with delivery to CH to collected. BMW/Porsche parts cost less than for a ford.

Oil change should cost about 70 chf for oil & filter plus 15 minutes work.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 08.01.2021, 23:08
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 107
Groaned at 34 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 47 Posts
mikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
Saiya-Jin - thanks for the tips! Yes, I’ve come to the conclusion that the 530d is plenty enough power for me in any case. Coupled with x-drive it really does seem to be a beast. Funnily enough, we looked at a 335d touring in Geneva over Xmas. Couldn’t test the car as the garage was extremely dodgy (car forlornly sat at the back of the lot covered in dirt and leaves) but I sat inside it. First impression that the cabin was very cramped versus my old Passat - and I’m 195cm so that’s an issue - which is why we’ve turned to the 5. Having scoured the second-hand market for a while what also draws me to the 530 over the 535 is that the 530s out there seem to be specced more for comfort than speed, and maybe this was reflected in the type of original owner. Lots of 530s specced with the luxury line trim with lovely leathers and woods rather than M-style interior, and the former appeals to me. I have a wife and toddler - so it can’t be a ‘no compromises’ car! Anyway, I’m looking at a car tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it goes
In case you are interested, I have 530xd May 2015 that I think of selling in the future. But it is a sedan, not touring. With an interesting custom feature you may like since you are 195 - my dealer made a special factory order that would install the driver's seat 10cm further back than normal. Otherwise, 75k on the clock, regularly serviced with full history in BMW Meyrin. i know you prefer touring, but with one toddler it did the job for me.

Mods - I hope you won't mind me posting this here; this is not really an ad (as the matter of fact, I haven't advertised this car anywhere yet, nor did I ever advertise anything on the EF).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mikedragos for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 11.01.2021, 09:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aigle
Posts: 64
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 28 Posts
BenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Thanks for suggesting Mike, sure you'll find an eager buyer. In the event, having test driven a very beautiful F11 530d Touring at the weekend (circa 20K) then a B7 Passat Estate, we decided that the latter is more suited for our needs, and is evidently about 10k cheaper. No doubt the BMW is a wonderful driver's car - but I was surprised at the lesser cabin and load space versus the Passat, and the lack of rear seat legroom in particular. Hence also a 520d Touring is out too. My wife in particular much preferred the Passat, and, well, she's a force! The Passat I drove was actually fitted out with the 1.8 TFSI engine from 2011 - which ran like a peach. But post factum I've read bad things about that 2011 build relating to piston rings and also problems with the dry clutch DSG unit. So I'm not pursuing my interest. In sum, now we're planning to spend less money, 10K or so, on a diesel, even petrol Passat Estate from 2012-14, to 'plug the gap' for the next 4-5 years until EVs are even more mainstream. So it seems like my Stirling Moss days are over

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/vw-p...bUUJgpSsbLCakw

Last edited by BenVevey; 11.01.2021 at 10:48.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BenVevey for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 11.01.2021, 13:38
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ZŁrich
Posts: 8,110
Groaned at 345 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 11,628 Times in 4,010 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
. So it seems like my Stirling Moss days are over
Until you get an EV, that is...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 14.01.2021, 01:13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 107
Groaned at 34 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 47 Posts
mikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for suggesting Mike, sure you'll find an eager buyer. In the event, having test driven a very beautiful F11 530d Touring at the weekend (circa 20K) then a B7 Passat Estate, we decided that the latter is more suited for our needs, and is evidently about 10k cheaper. No doubt the BMW is a wonderful driver's car - but I was surprised at the lesser cabin and load space versus the Passat, and the lack of rear seat legroom in particular. Hence also a 520d Touring is out too. My wife in particular much preferred the Passat, and, well, she's a force! The Passat I drove was actually fitted out with the 1.8 TFSI engine from 2011 - which ran like a peach. But post factum I've read bad things about that 2011 build relating to piston rings and also problems with the dry clutch DSG unit. So I'm not pursuing my interest. In sum, now we're planning to spend less money, 10K or so, on a diesel, even petrol Passat Estate from 2012-14, to 'plug the gap' for the next 4-5 years until EVs are even more mainstream. So it seems like my Stirling Moss days are over

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/vw-p...bUUJgpSsbLCakw
Thanks Ben!

Honestly cannot agree more. VW and Passat in particular are notorious for space inside, I think the only matching were E class and A6; BMW is well known for no space inside. I choose it simply as at that time (no toddler yet ha ha ha) BMW had the best offer, approx. 30% cheaper than all others (and the willingness of the dealer to make my driving cockpit as accommodating as possible).

Again, in terms of space, I would always go for Passat over 5 series, anytime.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank mikedragos for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 14.01.2021, 09:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 255
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 55 Times in 46 Posts
Greenhill has earned some respectGreenhill has earned some respect
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for suggesting Mike, sure you'll find an eager buyer. In the event, having test driven a very beautiful F11 530d Touring at the weekend (circa 20K) then a B7 Passat Estate, we decided that the latter is more suited for our needs, and is evidently about 10k cheaper. No doubt the BMW is a wonderful driver's car - but I was surprised at the lesser cabin and load space versus the Passat, and the lack of rear seat legroom in particular. Hence also a 520d Touring is out too. My wife in particular much preferred the Passat, and, well, she's a force! The Passat I drove was actually fitted out with the 1.8 TFSI engine from 2011 - which ran like a peach. But post factum I've read bad things about that 2011 build relating to piston rings and also problems with the dry clutch DSG unit. So I'm not pursuing my interest. In sum, now we're planning to spend less money, 10K or so, on a diesel, even petrol Passat Estate from 2012-14, to 'plug the gap' for the next 4-5 years until EVs are even more mainstream. So it seems like my Stirling Moss days are over

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/vw-p...bUUJgpSsbLCakw
If you are looking for space then why not try Touran or Sharan. It is more practical than Passat.

For driving pleasure i will surely opt for an A6 3.0 Diesel.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Greenhill for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 14.01.2021, 09:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,156
Groaned at 293 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 18,542 Times in 6,483 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
For driving pleasure i will surely opt for an A6 3.0 Diesel.
Indeed much better, and ideally the tiptronic variants. When buying an older car, better to avoid DSG and Haldex systems, as they require more maintenance, which make them more expensive to drive.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 15.01.2021, 13:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aigle
Posts: 64
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 28 Posts
BenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeableBenVevey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Thanks everyone for the tips! My advice to you, Mike, would be to postpone those toddler days as long as possible. Ha ha. No, it's great but it does change your outlook and priorities considerably. And did I mention how much nappies cost, not to mention the need as a modern man to muck in changing them?! Hideous

In the end, I'm close to sealing the deal on a 2014 2.0TDI Passat Estate 177ps with circa 150K and a good FSH. To be honest, I didn't really consider the Touran or the Sharan - perhaps I should - but the wife and I are both used to an Estate, and a Passat update feels like a similarly comfy pair of jeans just with an updated buckle!

One interesting car I also considered briefly was the first generation Passat Alltrack, which seems to hemorrhage value second hand/never really appealed to people, and would be an interesting proposition on Swiss roads. There is a lovely petrol 211ps version with white leather available ATM from 2012, but it's a tad thirsty. In any case, seems like we're sticking with tried and tested!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 15.01.2021, 13:59
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 1,427
Groaned at 63 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 2,715 Times in 1,058 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
For driving pleasure i will surely opt for an A6 3.0 Diesel.
Quote:
View Post
Indeed much better, and ideally the tiptronic variants. When buying an older car, better to avoid DSG and Haldex systems, as they require more maintenance, which make them more expensive to drive.
The Audi 3.0 TDI is awful in comparison to the 30d.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 15.01.2021, 14:03
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 1,427
Groaned at 63 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 2,715 Times in 1,058 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
In the end, I'm close to sealing the deal on a 2014 2.0TDI Passat Estate 177ps with circa 150K and a good FSH. To be honest, I didn't really consider the Touran or the Sharan - perhaps I should - but the wife and I are both used to an Estate, and a Passat update feels like a similarly comfy pair of jeans just with an updated buckle!

One interesting car I also considered briefly was the first generation Passat Alltrack, which seems to hemorrhage value second hand/never really appealed to people, and would be an interesting proposition on Swiss roads. There is a lovely petrol 211ps version with white leather available ATM from 2012, but it's a tad thirsty. In any case, seems like we're sticking with tried and tested!
Good, stay away from those Sharans and Tourans. You started with the intention to buy a fine 6-cylinder BMW, and you have climbed down the ladder enough already

The Alltrack is a weird and awful looking car. I doubt it does anything better than the normal 4WD version. And don't get me started on white leather.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
car, diesel, switzerland




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Risky buying a used diesel car? TheSwede Transportation/driving 7 31.01.2019 10:03
What about BMW 120, Diesel and Importing Second Hand unbalanced Transportation/driving 6 14.10.2017 13:53
Buying Second Hand Diesel Car nabeel.a Transportation/driving 31 30.10.2015 15:22
Buying 2nd hand car in CH papirob65 Insurance 7 18.08.2010 07:32
Buying A Car Second Hand... matilda blue Transportation/driving 2 07.08.2008 19:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0