Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.02.2021, 11:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 750
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 329 Times in 208 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Selling car - contract?

Hi everybody,

I know there are a few posts on selling cars but I didn't find the specific answer I need.

I found a buyer for my used car, we're exchanging tonight. I understand the process is just to give the keys, grey card and car (without plates), and take the cash. Then I drop my plates at the cantonal car center.

Now I'm wondering about if I should write a small contract, just to confirm the sale, the date, and "sold as seen". Is this a usual practice and does anyone have experience in what I should include?

Thanks a lot for any advice!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.02.2021, 11:47
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,334
Groaned at 200 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 19,955 Times in 8,249 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

There’s a sample contract you can get from the TCS website.
It’s basically just that.
Print it off, fill in in and sign it. One copy for you and one for the buyer.
It’s not strictly necessary but we did it when we sold a car privately.

I found this one on Comparis which is a bit more detailed than the one I used

https://fr.comparis.ch/carfinder/doc...vertrag_fr.pdf

Here is the tcs one

https://www.tcs.ch/assets/docs/sekti...t-de-vente.pdf
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 04.02.2021, 11:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 750
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 329 Times in 208 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
There’s a sample contract you can get from the TCS website.
It’s basically just that.
Print it off, fill in in and sign it. One copy for you and one for the buyer.
It’s not strictly necessary but we did it when we sold a car privately.
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.02.2021, 11:51
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,334
Groaned at 200 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 19,955 Times in 8,249 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot!
I added a couple of links for you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 04.02.2021, 11:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 750
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 329 Times in 208 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
I added a couple of links for you.
That's perfect, I will use the TCS one, thankyou!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.02.2021, 12:59
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Here another one:
https://cms.autoscout24.ch/media/171...utoscout24.pdf


The TCS one is most likely the best as it has the least unneeded extra information which could bite you in the ass.


Be aware about pitfalls in the above contracts.

Use the Modell name as stated on the gray card.

As a seller do not accept a contract which has been pre-filled in by the buyer or expect that they made maliciously "mistakes".

If there are checkboxes which you did not tick, strick out the text next to them with a single line. Same goes with empty lines.

Make two copies: One for the buyer one for you.

Modell year, be certain what it means and that you state the correct model year. Better to leave it out. Same goes for other details which might be ambiguous. Stick to the information on the gray card.

I would only state VIN and maybe the Matricule No. /Stammmnummer which is item 18 on the gray card. With this two information the vehicle is uniquely identified.

Number of pre-owners. Leave it out, or only state it if you are 100% sure. Which you can only be if you bought the vehicle yourself new from a dealer. Same goes with accidents.

Do not forget to disclaim any warranty and guarantee:
Le véhicule est vendu en l'état, tel que vu et essayé. Toute garantie est exclue dans la mesure où cela est autorisé par la loi, et notamment toute action en rédhibition ou en réduction du prix.
__________________
On Hiatus- Normal operation will resume 22.02.2022 22:02:20.22
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 04.02.2021, 16:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 750
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 329 Times in 208 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
Here another one:
https://cms.autoscout24.ch/media/171...utoscout24.pdf


The TCS one is most likely the best as it has the least unneeded extra information which could bite you in the ass.


Be aware about pitfalls in the above contracts.

Use the Modell name as stated on the gray card.

As a seller do not accept a contract which has been pre-filled in by the buyer or expect that they made maliciously "mistakes".

If there are checkboxes which you did not tick, strick out the text next to them with a single line. Same goes with empty lines.

Make two copies: One for the buyer one for you.

Modell year, be certain what it means and that you state the correct model year. Better to leave it out. Same goes for other details which might be ambiguous. Stick to the information on the gray card.

I would only state VIN and maybe the Matricule No. /Stammmnummer which is item 18 on the gray card. With this two information the vehicle is uniquely identified.

Number of pre-owners. Leave it out, or only state it if you are 100% sure. Which you can only be if you bought the vehicle yourself new from a dealer. Same goes with accidents.

Do not forget to disclaim any warranty and guarantee:
Le véhicule est vendu en l'état, tel que vu et essayé. Toute garantie est exclue dans la mesure où cela est autorisé par la loi, et notamment toute action en rédhibition ou en réduction du prix.

Thankyou for your time and for this valuable information!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.03.2021, 15:11
ccmiller's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ccmiller has earned some respectccmiller has earned some respect
Re: Selling car - contract?

Hello friends. I have a buyer who has already paid me for the vehicle, and wants to take possession and drive away with the registration and my license plates. This is to give him time to obtain and put his own plates on, and then he'll send my plates back. I was at the Strassenverkehrsamt, where I was advised to come back to get the Stempel /stamp for the registration card that declares the vehicle to be "Sold".

Question: Should I only hand over the registration after the Strassenverkehrsamt stamps it as Sold ? What alternative process should I follow to execute the hand-over?

Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.03.2021, 15:28
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,168
Groaned at 2,158 Times in 1,604 Posts
Thanked 36,183 Times in 17,154 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

If he has an accident with your plates, your insurance pays and your rates go up.

Also, it doesn't get stamped "sold", it gets stamped "invalid".

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.03.2021, 15:31
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,775
Groaned at 421 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 19,862 Times in 10,633 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
Hello friends. I have a buyer who has already paid me for the vehicle, and wants to take possession and drive away with the registration and my license plates. This is to give him time to obtain and put his own plates on, and then he'll send my plates back. I was at the Strassenverkehrsamt, where I was advised to come back to get the Stempel /stamp for the registration card that declares the vehicle to be "Sold".

Question: Should I only hand over the registration after the Strassenverkehrsamt stamps it as Sold ? What alternative process should I follow to execute the hand-over?

Thanks for your advice!
He needs to sort out his own plates, end of story.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.03.2021, 16:08
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
This is to give him time to obtain and put his own plates on, and then he'll send my plates back. I was at the Strassenverkehrsamt, where I was advised to come back to get the Stempel /stamp for the registration card that declares the vehicle to be "Sold".
Getting plates takes about 30 minutes. At most, on a really busy day.
If the buyer has a parking spot on privat property you could deliver the car and take your plates.
Or you can deliver it to the Strassenverkehrsamt where the buyer can get its own plates right there and right than.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.03.2021, 17:26
ccmiller's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ccmiller has earned some respectccmiller has earned some respect
Re: Selling car - contract?

A very helpful person at the Strassenverkehrsamt suggested that the buyer secure temporary license plates. To obtain these, the buyer required only a photo of the Ausweis/registration. I have gotten the Invalid/Ungültig stamp now, (and kept a photocopy) so I can give this to the buyer. I will remove the plates and after he signs two copies of the TCS contract I shared with him, he will take possession of the car. Now the process is clear. Thanks for those who helped here! Grüsse!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ccmiller for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 01.03.2021, 17:37
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,775
Groaned at 421 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 19,862 Times in 10,633 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
A very helpful person at the Strassenverkehrsamt suggested that the buyer secure temporary license plates. To obtain these, the buyer required only a photo of the Ausweis/registration. I have gotten the Invalid/Ungültig stamp now, (and kept a photocopy) so I can give this to the buyer. I will remove the plates and after he signs two copies of the TCS contract I shared with him, he will take possession of the car. Now the process is clear. Thanks for those who helped here! Grüsse!
Not sure he will sign a contract, I certainly never have done with a private sale both buying & selling.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 01.03.2021, 21:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 51
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
besmegenis has made some interesting contributions
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
A very helpful person at the Strassenverkehrsamt suggested that the buyer secure temporary license plates. To obtain these, the buyer required only a photo of the Ausweis/registration. I have gotten the Invalid/Ungültig stamp now, (and kept a photocopy) so I can give this to the buyer. I will remove the plates and after he signs two copies of the TCS contract I shared with him, he will take possession of the car. Now the process is clear. Thanks for those who helped here! Grüsse!
Hmm, interesting. I only did few sales and I always went to registration office to cancel grey card AFTER we sign a contract and I get the money. Then finally I send grey card by post. What if the buyer changes his/her mind? You are left with canceled grey card?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.03.2021, 21:11
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
What if the buyer changes his/her mind? You are left with canceled grey card?
You call your insurance, get a quote, go to StVA/SAN, hand in the canceled card, get new gray card and plates.
(Can also be done by mail. And yes, it is a waste of money and time)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.03.2021, 21:23
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,775
Groaned at 421 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 19,862 Times in 10,633 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
Hmm, interesting. I only did few sales and I always went to registration office to cancel grey card AFTER we sign a contract and I get the money. Then finally I send grey card by post. What if the buyer changes his/her mind? You are left with canceled grey card?
Take a large cash non refundable deposit, the buyer will not back out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01.03.2021, 21:46
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,168
Groaned at 2,158 Times in 1,604 Posts
Thanked 36,183 Times in 17,154 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
You are left with canceled grey card?
And?

I have a pile of them as I deregister most of my bikes very year!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01.03.2021, 21:47
ccmiller's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ccmiller has earned some respectccmiller has earned some respect
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
Take a large cash non refundable deposit, the buyer will not back out.
Indeed, this sequence only works if the buyer has already paid the full amount. Otherwise, I would not have cancelled my registration.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ccmiller for this useful post:
This user groans at ccmiller for this post:
  #19  
Old 01.03.2021, 21:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 30,168
Groaned at 2,158 Times in 1,604 Posts
Thanked 36,183 Times in 17,154 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, this sequence only works if the buyer has already paid the full amount. Otherwise, I would not have cancelled my registration.
Plenty of people do to save on taxes and insurance,

I do it every year on multiple vehicles.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01.03.2021, 21:56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 51
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
besmegenis has made some interesting contributions
Re: Selling car - contract?

Quote:
View Post
Take a large cash non refundable deposit, the buyer will not back out.
In fact one of the buyers offered to leave some deposit, but I thought it might add complexity to the whole procedure. We probably need to draw a little contract for deposit too.

Quote:
View Post
And?

I have a pile of them as I deregister most of my bikes very year!

Tom
In this case we are not trying to save road tax/insurance or hibernate bikes over the winter, but the intention is to sell the vehicle
Reply With Quote
This user groans at besmegenis for this post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying/selling contract sailorimc Other/general 8 07.06.2019 14:14
Landlord terminate rental contract because selling the apartment. donalwho Housing in general 5 21.07.2012 22:07
Contract template for selling a car? monhibou Transportation/driving 1 26.03.2011 22:44
Owner selling flat what happens to contract? Silvercoinboy Housing in general 2 11.10.2010 10:31
Contract template for selling a car privately Pacman Transportation/driving 2 15.11.2007 19:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0