Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.02.2021, 18:16
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,891
Groaned at 56 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,457 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
sunglasess while driving

The weather was perfect and I just took a fun drive in Jura and some highway km. For me, sunglasses for driving are almost like the seat belt, muscles have simply memorized the movement. During my drive I noticed people suffers with the sun just a bit above the horizon. Of course, it bothers and it's unsafe. So, some drivers make funny faces while squinting, more adventurous drivers even use one hand as sun visor, but no one uses damned sunglasses.

As ignorant auslander I don't understand the local cultural quirks. Is it a fashion faux pas to wear sunglasses for driving? Are they reserved to mountain hikes above the clouds and cocktail sipping in a hot beach? So, any idea why the locals use hands as sun visors instead of more practical sunglasses?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.02.2021, 18:19
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,628
Groaned at 416 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 17,933 Times in 5,546 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
The weather was perfect and I just took a fun drive in Jura and some highway km. For me, sunglasses for driving are almost like the seat belt, muscles have simply memorized the movement. During my drive I noticed people suffers with the sun just a bit above the horizon. Of course, it bothers and it's unsafe. So, some drivers make funny faces while squinting, more adventurous drivers even use one hand as sun visor, but no one uses damned sunglasses.

As ignorant auslander I don't understand the local cultural quirks. Is it a fashion faux pas to wear sunglasses for driving? Are they reserved to mountain hikes above the clouds and cocktail sipping in a hot beach? So, any idea why the locals use hands as sun visors instead of more practical sunglasses?
Just wait. We have to get used to the sunshine again.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 16.02.2021, 18:22
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,100
Groaned at 67 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,588 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Sunglasses?
Can't remember where I last had em.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.02.2021, 18:27
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 23 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,163 Times in 477 Posts
ipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

this resonates... I have pale blue eyes (linger on...).. and have always thought that I'm a bit more sensitive to bright light than 'normal' and almost always wear sunglasses when there are no clouds in the sky

other drivers squinting does annoy me

almost as much as drivers who sit too low and are peering 'over' their steering wheel.. that really grinds my gears...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.02.2021, 18:34
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,891
Groaned at 56 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,457 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
Sunglasses?
Can't remember where I last had em.
Even in winter the sun is too strong sometimes, either because it's too bright or the angle. So, are they not in the car in an easily reachable place such as the door storage? I might be just another weird foreigner
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 16.02.2021, 18:42
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
The weather was perfect and I just took a fun drive in Jura and some highway km. For me, sunglasses for driving are almost like the seat belt, muscles have simply memorized the movement. During my drive I noticed people suffers with the sun just a bit above the horizon. Of course, it bothers and it's unsafe. So, some drivers make funny faces while squinting, more adventurous drivers even use one hand as sun visor, but no one uses damned sunglasses.

As ignorant auslander I don't understand the local cultural quirks. Is it a fashion faux pas to wear sunglasses for driving? Are they reserved to mountain hikes above the clouds and cocktail sipping in a hot beach? So, any idea why the locals use hands as sun visors instead of more practical sunglasses?
Anything that is not as you do it in a country you don't come from is generally a cultural quirk?

Quote:
View Post
this resonates... I have pale blue eyes (linger on...).. and have always thought that I'm a bit more sensitive to bright light than 'normal' and almost always wear sunglasses when there are no clouds in the sky

other drivers squinting does annoy me

almost as much as drivers who sit too low and are peering 'over' their steering wheel.. that really grinds my gears...
LOL. Somehow your post makes me wish you'd concentrate on the road a bit more.

I have sunglasses in the car, ready to grab any time. I used to wear them even in fog (yellos glasses in those circumstances). Interestingly, since I had my eyes lasered, I can stand a lot stronger sunshine than before and hardly ever wear sunglasses anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.02.2021, 18:48
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 5,062
Groaned at 286 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 10,707 Times in 4,015 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

My mom never use to wear sunglasses despite spending a LOT of time in the sun, and now she has a degenerative retina because of it and can't see out of that eye very well.

I was looking out the window yesterday, while it was sunny, and found myself feeling a bit blinded afterward because it was so bright outside. I guess it had been so long since I saw sunlight that my eyes weren't use to it anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.02.2021, 18:51
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,100
Groaned at 67 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,588 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
Even in winter the sun is too strong sometimes, either because it's too bright or the angle. So, are they not in the car in an easily reachable place such as the door storage? I might be just another weird foreigner
Might be in one of the cars. But too lazy to go look at the moment. Besides it's dinner time.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.02.2021, 19:02
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
this resonates... I have pale blue eyes (linger on...).. and have always thought that I'm a bit more sensitive to bright light than 'normal' and almost always wear sunglasses when there are no clouds in the sky

other drivers squinting does annoy me

almost as much as drivers who sit too low and are peering 'over' their steering wheel.. that really grinds my gears...
The only thing that makes me nervous are drivers who don't sit comfortably but hunch over the steering wheel, glued to the windshield and squinting nervously. With or without shades.



I only like driving on empty roads.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 16.02.2021, 19:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

I'm photophobic, so I never venture outdoors without my sunglasses. I even keep a spare pair in the glove compartment, as I can't imagine driving without them.

My regular specs are photochromatic, but even when darkened they don't block enough sun for daylight driving - nope, need heavy duty sunglasses.

Low winter sun can be absolutely blinding here so along with the sun specs there is always a spare brimmed hat in the car. Does the job better than the car visor.

Did I mention I'm photophobic?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 16.02.2021, 19:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 2,716
Groaned at 345 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,453 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Same here Melon- never go out without my sunglasses, and have sunglasses adjusted for my driving/skiing vision.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.02.2021, 19:27
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,891
Groaned at 56 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,457 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
Anything that is not as you do it in a country you don't come from is generally a cultural quirk?
It is a cultural quirk because people buys all the equipment money can buy. This is a condition mostly men suffer: there's a right tool for every job and it's pissing contest. Guys love to tell you there's a better way to do any task with a more specialized or even exotic tool that you're already using.

I go jogging with sneakers, shorts and a t-shirt. When it's cold a sweatshirt. Look at the others: compression socks, tights, layers, caps, sports food and sometimes even glasses. Visit any home, full of stuff in the kitchen it's rarely used but it has an special application. One you consider that the mainstream culture is having lot's of stuff aimed at specialized tasks......it's quirky that something as basic as sunglasses is not there.

Don't worry about me being parrochial, I'll wait for when the bar opens and ask the voluntary firefighter. One of these guys that spends half his income in gear, and boasts about it, and ask about this quirk
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 16.02.2021, 19:49
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,100
Groaned at 67 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,588 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
It is a cultural quirk because people buys all the equipment money can buy. This is a condition mostly men suffer: there's a right tool for every job and it's pissing contest. Guys love to tell you there's a better way to do any task with a more specialized or even exotic tool that you're already using.

I go jogging with sneakers, shorts and a t-shirt. When it's cold a sweatshirt. Look at the others: compression socks, tights, layers, caps, sports food and sometimes even glasses. Visit any home, full of stuff in the kitchen it's rarely used but it has an special application. One you consider that the mainstream culture is having lot's of stuff aimed at specialized tasks......it's quirky that something as basic as sunglasses is not there.

Don't worry about me being parrochial, I'll wait for when the bar opens and ask the voluntary firefighter. One of these guys that spends half his income in gear, and boasts about it, and ask about this quirk
Therefore with adaptable cruise control and lane assist you can do away with the sunglasses and read a book while driving.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 16.02.2021, 19:57
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,529
Groaned at 365 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 12,762 Times in 4,351 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

I wear glasses. In the car I have Polaroid clip-on sunglasses. Particularly good in Switzerland where there are plenty of tunnels - I just flick them up as I enter.

They are apparently quite cool now too...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 17.02.2021, 11:03
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,140
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,287 Times in 681 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
It is a cultural quirk because people buys all the equipment money can buy. This is a condition mostly men suffer: there's a right tool for every job and it's pissing contest. Guys love to tell you there's a better way to do any task with a more specialized or even exotic tool that you're already using.

I go jogging with sneakers, shorts and a t-shirt. When it's cold a sweatshirt. Look at the others: compression socks, tights, layers, caps, sports food and sometimes even glasses. Visit any home, full of stuff in the kitchen it's rarely used but it has an special application. One you consider that the mainstream culture is having lot's of stuff aimed at specialized tasks......it's quirky that something as basic as sunglasses is not there.

Don't worry about me being parrochial, I'll wait for when the bar opens and ask the voluntary firefighter. One of these guys that spends half his income in gear, and boasts about it, and ask about this quirk
Not sure which "guys" you know, but I'd be willing to bet not many Australians.
A typical Aussie toolbox has a hammer, two screwdrivers (one #2 phillips, one flat), a shifter (aka shifting spanner to the "fancy", but never a monkey wrench in Australia), a 10mm/12mm double-ended ring spanner, a saw, a drill with five bits, a Stanley knife, a can of WD-40, and a roll of duct tape. If you need anything else, you improvise or make what you need ... or grab a stick.

Also, the Aussie tradesman's creed: If it's a bit tight, don't force it ... get a bigger hammer!



Oh, as for sunglasses - I tend to not need them. Unless the road conditions force me to look directly at the Sun (which I don't do, because severe eye damage!) then I can see without even squinting. Might be genetic, getting back to my distant ancestors (on my mother's side - my dad has extreme light sensitivity, as does one of my sisters).

Last edited by araqyl; 17.02.2021 at 11:05. Reason: addressed the OP's comment ... a bit
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank araqyl for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 17.02.2021, 11:23
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,246
Groaned at 2,467 Times in 1,784 Posts
Thanked 39,342 Times in 18,543 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
It is a cultural quirk because people buys all the equipment money can buy. This is a condition mostly men suffer: there's a right tool for every job and it's pissing contest. Guys love to tell you there's a better way to do any task with a more specialized or even exotic tool that you're already using.
I have exotic tools (various cam holders, dial gauges, degree wheels, four sizes of torque wrenches, etc.), but also a bunch that I've made myself, some even out of wood!

I have far less than the shop manuals say that I need, actually.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17.02.2021, 12:52
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,891
Groaned at 56 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,457 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
I have exotic tools (various cam holders, dial gauges, degree wheels, four sizes of torque wrenches, etc.), but also a bunch that I've made myself, some even out of wood!

I have far less than the shop manuals say that I need, actually.

Tom
You get the attitude about hoarding tools and gear That's why it curious that squinting and uncomfortable driving is not solved with damned sunglasses.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 17.02.2021, 13:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,933
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,570 Times in 2,876 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

I wear quite chunky plastic frame glasses and don't fancy damaging mine with a clip on thing. Plus, I keep losing the damn things anyway, since I don't have my own car, they would have to live in a "things I need when driving" kit and that never materialises.

I did have some prescription sunglasses made but having the lenses in made them fit different to when I tried them on in the shop and they are super uncomfortable despite several attempts at fixing this. Plus, changing light conditions with tunnels etc. would have me removing them and putting on my others.

Yes, contact lenses seem like the obvious answer, however, I can't wear them regularly on account of having chronic dry eyes. On sunny days where I plan to do a lot of driving, I wear lenses but as soon as the sun sets, I practically rip them out to put my glasses back on. Yes, I've tried all the eye drops and all the lenses.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17.02.2021, 13:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 9,630
Groaned at 503 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 12,819 Times in 6,647 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
The weather was perfect and I just took a fun drive in Jura and some highway km. For me, sunglasses for driving are almost like the seat belt, muscles have simply memorized the movement. During my drive I noticed people suffers with the sun just a bit above the horizon. Of course, it bothers and it's unsafe. So, some drivers make funny faces while squinting, more adventurous drivers even use one hand as sun visor, but no one uses damned sunglasses.

As ignorant auslander I don't understand the local cultural quirks. Is it a fashion faux pas to wear sunglasses for driving? Are they reserved to mountain hikes above the clouds and cocktail sipping in a hot beach? So, any idea why the locals use hands as sun visors instead of more practical sunglasses?
Sounds like you've just joined the geranium police, bothering about complete strangers' non-problems and "solving" them for them. And of course your position is the only one that could possibly be correct.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 17.02.2021, 14:09
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,891
Groaned at 56 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,457 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sunglasess while driving

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like you've just joined the geranium police, bothering about complete strangers' non-problems and "solving" them for them. And of course your position is the only one that could possibly be correct.
I'm not judging or solving problems. I just asked if there's some social attitude or norm against sunglasses because it takes some effort to not use them. If I'm breaking an unwritten social rule, at least I want to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving a car with foreign plate with Swiss Driving License in Switzerland mlx.milano Transportation/driving 234 14.12.2015 17:12
[Wanted] Driving instructor for License Conversion and driving test in Zurich jijo11 Transportation/driving 13 17.12.2014 17:41
English Speaking Driving Instructor in Lausanne - Get Your Driving License in CH ronnyharknell Transportation/driving 0 03.11.2013 19:44
Cought by the police driving using my dutch driving license,after 12 month! Guest Transportation/driving 30 06.03.2013 22:47
Driving License Conversion and driving test Zurich natcam Transportation/driving 17 03.11.2012 01:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0