Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.02.2021, 15:05
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 840
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 430 Times in 277 Posts
p42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputation
Windscreen damage and MFKs

I have a car with a large crack, 30cm or so, on the passenger side, not in the drivers main view. In fact I didn't notice it when driving the car in the car park. Does anyone know the rules on windscreen damage, and does damage on the passenger side matter?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.02.2021, 15:09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windscreen damage and MFKs

Quote:
View Post
I have a car with a large crack, 30cm or so, on the passenger side, not in the drivers main view. In fact I didn't notice it when driving the car in the car park. Does anyone know the rules on windscreen damage, and does damage on the passenger side matter?
Yes. As a rough rule anything within the area swept by the wipers is a no-no, but also any major crack anywhere will remove the structural integrity so it's an automatic fail.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.02.2021, 16:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,907
Groaned at 76 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,178 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windscreen damage and MFKs

Is the car insured? Is the screen usually covered under basic car insurance here?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.02.2021, 17:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windscreen damage and MFKs

Quote:
View Post
Is the car insured? Is the screen usually covered under basic car insurance here?
Normally, yes, but there's usually a proportion to pay yourself. Had heated screens which cost something over 1.5k replaced a few times over the years and seem to recall paying around 200 each time. I think it's one of those items that you can select or deselect independently though, so not guaranteed to be covered.

A crack of that size would quite likely deem the car as unroadworthy, though, so it's not just an MFK issue - if he's stopped by the police he might be looking at a significant fine. I expect aSitUS will be along shortly with the relevant links
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 26.02.2021, 18:07
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,883
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,627 Times in 1,475 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windscreen damage and MFKs

I think if the crack extends to the edge of the window the whole windscreen is considered scrap and no longer structural. So as others have said, the police could stop you, not to mind the MFK
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ato for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 09.05.2022, 07:11
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Schwyz.
Posts: 840
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 430 Times in 277 Posts
p42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputationp42 has an excellent reputation
Re: Windscreen damage and MFKs

Quote:
View Post
Yes. As a rough rule anything within the area swept by the wipers is a no-no, but also any major crack anywhere will remove the structural integrity so it's an automatic fail.
Just as an update, our other car got 2 star burst stone chips that are small but very noticeable, in the middle of the swept area of the passenger side of the screen. To us this seemed an obvious fail! 2 days before our MFK was due we discovered our invitation in the post! So just time for a frantic DIY clean up, inside, outside and underneath, especially the windows! The stars were so obvious on the cleaned screen!

The windscreen wasn't mentioned apart from my collection of old motorway stickers along the top, which I subsequently managed to remove and save intact, using the razor blade paint scraper method!

So apart from a plastic nozzle protector off the rear wiper, headlight alignment, and other minor issues we got a pass!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09.05.2022, 07:20
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,150
Groaned at 266 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 6,354 Times in 2,659 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windscreen damage and MFKs

2 days, huh? My latest invite was sent a bit more than a month in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.05.2022, 09:44
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,800
Groaned at 610 Times in 516 Posts
Thanked 21,723 Times in 11,407 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windscreen damage and MFKs

Quote:
View Post
Just as an update, our other car got 2 star burst stone chips that are small but very noticeable, in the middle of the swept area of the passenger side of the screen. To us this seemed an obvious fail! 2 days before our MFK was due we discovered our invitation in the post! So just time for a frantic DIY clean up, inside, outside and underneath, especially the windows! The stars were so obvious on the cleaned screen!

The windscreen wasn't mentioned apart from my collection of old motorway stickers along the top, which I subsequently managed to remove and save intact, using the razor blade paint scraper method!

So apart from a plastic nozzle protector off the rear wiper, headlight alignment, and other minor issues we got a pass!
Congratulations, I once got a fail from a tiny stone chip in the swept area of the windscreen even after I had taken it to one of those windscreen repair companies; turned out their "lifetime" guarantee did not cover MFK failure.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
windscreen replacement co. bigblue2 Transportation/driving 19 24.09.2021 11:30
Cautionary Tale - Strassenverkehrsamt and Windscreen damage starmir Transportation/driving 9 12.01.2018 16:21
Buy a car windscreen - new or used ? Enohzee Transportation/driving 7 23.07.2015 09:14
Navigator on windscreen simbamford Transportation/driving 13 31.01.2014 11:14
Windscreen Wipers dodgyken Transportation/driving 6 30.11.2010 09:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0