Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.03.2021, 19:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Precut car window tint installation

Hi there,

Hope you are staying safe.

I am planning to do some DIY project and tint my car windows (rear door windows and rear back window). I know the law says 30% is the absolute minimum of light that has to pass through the window and that front side windows are not allowed to be tinted.

Now, has any of you ever done something like this? How doable is it? Would anyone be willing to help me out with it (happy to pay for it and/or buy a beer) And once I tint the windows, do I need to do any paperwork with the authoritites or I am just good to go?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.03.2021, 10:09
Jeep Life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: French Part of CH
Posts: 234
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 132 Posts
Jeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeable
Re: Precut car window tint installation

Quote:
View Post
Hi there,

Hope you are staying safe.

I am planning to do some DIY project and tint my car windows (rear door windows and rear back window). I know the law says 30% is the absolute minimum of light that has to pass through the window and that front side windows are not allowed to be tinted.

Now, has any of you ever done something like this? How doable is it? Would anyone be willing to help me out with it (happy to pay for it and/or buy a beer) And once I tint the windows, do I need to do any paperwork with the authoritites or I am just good to go?

Thank you in advance!
My car has 5% tint (95% light blocked) all over apart from windscreen, driver and front passenger windows which are not tinted at all. Legally no issue and no paperwork was required.

Make sure the tint you use has proper UV protection
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jeep Life for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.03.2021, 15:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Precut car window tint installation

Quote:
View Post
My car has 5% tint (95% light blocked) all over apart from windscreen, driver and front passenger windows which are not tinted at all. Legally no issue and no paperwork was required.

Make sure the tint you use has proper UV protection

Thanks for you reply. Are you sure about the legality of 95% though?
According to this https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/1...5_4425/de#a71a (Art. 71a), I read the following:

Scheiben, die für die Sicht des Führers oder der Führerin nötig sind, müssen eine klare, verzerrungsfreie Durchsicht gestatten, witterungsfest sein und auch nach längerem Gebrauch mindestens 70 Prozent Licht durchlassen. An, vor oder hinter diesen Scheiben dürfen keine Gegenstände angebracht werden, welche die Sicht des Führers oder der Führerin beeinträchtigen und die Lichtdurchlässigkeit unter 70 Prozent vermindern. Ausgenommen sind Gegenstände, die gesetzlich vorgeschrieben oder vorgesehen sind oder für den Einsatz im Ordnungsdienst vorübergehend angebracht werden (z.B. Gitter), sowie Navigationsgeräte ausserhalb des Sichtkreises nach Absatz 1.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.03.2021, 23:59
Jeep Life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: French Part of CH
Posts: 234
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 132 Posts
Jeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeable
Re: Precut car window tint installation

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for you reply. Are you sure about the legality of 95% though?
According to this https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/1...5_4425/de#a71a (Art. 71a), I read the following:

Scheiben, die für die Sicht des Führers oder der Führerin nötig sind, müssen eine klare, verzerrungsfreie Durchsicht gestatten, witterungsfest sein und auch nach längerem Gebrauch mindestens 70 Prozent Licht durchlassen. An, vor oder hinter diesen Scheiben dürfen keine Gegenstände angebracht werden, welche die Sicht des Führers oder der Führerin beeinträchtigen und die Lichtdurchlässigkeit unter 70 Prozent vermindern. Ausgenommen sind Gegenstände, die gesetzlich vorgeschrieben oder vorgesehen sind oder für den Einsatz im Ordnungsdienst vorübergehend angebracht werden (z.B. Gitter), sowie Navigationsgeräte ausserhalb des Sichtkreises nach Absatz 1.
Strange, I've done 2 mfk and nothing was said about the tint ��
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.03.2021, 06:33
evop's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 188
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 236 Times in 114 Posts
evop is considered knowledgeableevop is considered knowledgeableevop is considered knowledgeable
Re: Precut car window tint installation

Didn't do tinting myself in years, but the last time it was not too big of a hassle. A couple of things I remember:
  • it is a good idea to buy a decent foil. UV protection is important (probably, more important, that the visible light, if we are talking about health and the interior protection). First time I got something extremely thin, with an unknown UV factor and hard to work with. Also not pre-cut, so it added to complexity;
  • plastic and rubber scrapers (a.k.a. spatula or Spachtel) were very helpful;
  • a hairdryer or, better, a heat gun was a savior to deal with all the small bubbles.
I found this guide very well made (much better, that the one I used 15 years ago).

Quote:
View Post
My car has 5% tint (95% light blocked) all over apart from windscreen, driver and front passenger windows which are not tinted at all. Legally no issue and no paperwork was required.
That is most certainly not just illegal, but also at some level dangerous, considering the tailgating fixation of many local drivers: how would you see those blinding lights in your rear mirror?

Are you certain, that it is 95% visible light (VLT) blocked, not 95% UV and 10-30% visible light? 05 VLT is basically a blackout. My neighbor had to remove the factory tint from his rear side windows on a US car, because it was not certified in Switzerland and tested as 35%. Can't imagine a car passing MFK with 5% VLT.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank evop for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 24.03.2021, 15:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Steinach SG
Posts: 8,689
Groaned at 426 Times in 322 Posts
Thanked 11,366 Times in 5,974 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Precut car window tint installation

Quote:
View Post
That is most certainly not just illegal, but also at some level dangerous, considering the tailgating fixation of many local drivers: how would you see those blinding lights in your rear mirror?
You can block the rearview pane entirely provided you have both a left and right side rearview mirror. These two are necessary if, for instance, your trunk load or a towed vehicle blocks your indoors rearview mirror.
Quote:
View Post
Strange, I've done 2 mfk and nothing was said about the tint
The key part is
"die für die Sicht des Führers oder der Führerin nötig sind"
"that are necessary for the driver's view".

.. necessary, as opposed to useful.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.03.2021, 22:06
Jeep Life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: French Part of CH
Posts: 234
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 132 Posts
Jeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeableJeep Life is considered knowledgeable
Re: Precut car window tint installation

Quote:
View Post

That is most certainly not just illegal, but also at some level dangerous, considering the tailgating fixation of many local drivers: how would you see those blinding lights in your rear mirror?

Are you certain, that it is 95% visible light (VLT) blocked, not 95% UV and 10-30% visible light? 05 VLT is basically a blackout. My neighbor had to remove the factory tint from his rear side windows on a US car, because it was not certified in Switzerland and tested as 35%. Can't imagine a car passing MFK with 5% VLT.
The tint was already in when I bought the car. I was not sure either, so I called the SCAN-NE. They said as long as the front windows are clear and can see the sidemirrors clearly it all good
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jeep Life for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.03.2021, 22:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 99
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 36 Posts
besmegenis is considered knowledgeablebesmegenis is considered knowledgeablebesmegenis is considered knowledgeable
Re: Precut car window tint installation

Any recomendations where to buy the tinting foil?

Quote:
View Post
Didn't do tinting myself in years, but the last time it was not too big of a hassle. A couple of things I remember:
  • it is a good idea to buy a decent foil. UV protection is important (probably, more important, that the visible light, if we are talking about health and the interior protection).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.03.2021, 02:44
evop's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 188
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 236 Times in 114 Posts
evop is considered knowledgeableevop is considered knowledgeableevop is considered knowledgeable
Re: Precut car window tint installation

Quote:
View Post
Any recomendations where to buy the tinting foil?
Not in Switzerland, never done it here. Back in NYC I got it from Rvinyl, but it may be more convenient to find another company on this side of the pond.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
car, diy, tint, window




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good garage for window tint near Geneva in France media_scotland Transportation/driving 1 31.12.2017 18:08
Screen getting a pink tint! McTAVGE TV/internet/telephone 6 25.10.2016 06:49
Help..Installation TIREWATCHER TV/internet/telephone 3 17.10.2013 23:57
Window Installation...Urgent!! icyc Housing in general 4 16.11.2010 11:03
Sky+ installation chrisknms TV/internet/telephone 16 11.12.2006 09:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0