Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06.04.2021, 00:25
Jeep Life's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: French Part of CH
Posts: 342
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 363 Times in 186 Posts
Jeep Life has earned the respect of manyJeep Life has earned the respect of manyJeep Life has earned the respect of many
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
cost of shipping is about $1000 - i.e. negligible (or about 2 dinners out in switzerland).
.
Really? 1k for two dinners?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06.04.2021, 00:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Really? 1k for two dinners?
If you’ve got a family the size of a Honda Pilot, yes.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 06.04.2021, 04:13
Jeep Life's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: French Part of CH
Posts: 342
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 363 Times in 186 Posts
Jeep Life has earned the respect of manyJeep Life has earned the respect of manyJeep Life has earned the respect of many
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
If you’ve got a family the size of a Honda Pilot, yes.
OP has two kids. You might scare him
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jeep Life for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 06.04.2021, 07:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Ok maybe 3-4 dinners.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06.04.2021, 10:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,940
Groaned at 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,597 Times in 2,882 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

The parking bays in out apartment building are the standard 2.35 metres wide for that type of parking spot, others can be narrower. Your hulk of a car is 2 metres in width, I would hate your car (and probably you, unfortunately, although you sound like a perfectly reasonable person) with the force of a thousand suns if you had the bay next to mine. If you are found to have your wheels outside of a parking spot in public, you will get fined. Someone who went to court over this was told that "it is the size of the spot and not the size of the car that defines where you can park".

More rural roads just about fit two European-sized cars with attentive drivers on them, so if you plan on exploring our beautiful country, you will spend a lot of time pulling to the side or making others do so. Furthermore, you may become the recipient of acts of petty interference, as big cars are a bugbear for many people.

What baffled me when I looked up the specs is that this massive thing is classed as "mid-size SUV" - just how much space does a normal human need when doing the weekly shop? Grotesque. And with all the kids walking to school, I'd hate to have such a massive thing circulating, the risk of lethal impact is so much bigger than with a reasonably sized vehicle.

In summary - don't do it. Unless everyone driving the car is an absolute parking ninja and precision driver, you'll be stressed every time you take it out. And using two spots at once will see your car splashed over social media or land you with fines. Yes, I am aware that there are other big chunks of metal on the road but they are the ones I observe causing so much bother to other people. Don't be that guy (or girl).
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 06.04.2021, 11:24
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
The parking bays in out apartment building are the standard 2.35 metres wide for that type of parking spot, others can be narrower. Your hulk of a car is 2 metres in width, I would hate your car (and probably you, unfortunately, although you sound like a perfectly reasonable person) with the force of a thousand suns if you had the bay next to mine. If you are found to have your wheels outside of a parking spot in public, you will get fined. Someone who went to court over this was told that "it is the size of the spot and not the size of the car that defines where you can park".

More rural roads just about fit two European-sized cars with attentive drivers on them, so if you plan on exploring our beautiful country, you will spend a lot of time pulling to the side or making others do so. Furthermore, you may become the recipient of acts of petty interference, as big cars are a bugbear for many people.

What baffled me when I looked up the specs is that this massive thing is classed as "mid-size SUV" - just how much space does a normal human need when doing the weekly shop? Grotesque. And with all the kids walking to school, I'd hate to have such a massive thing circulating, the risk of lethal impact is so much bigger than with a reasonably sized vehicle.

In summary - don't do it. Unless everyone driving the car is an absolute parking ninja and precision driver, you'll be stressed every time you take it out. And using two spots at once will see your car splashed over social media or land you with fines. Yes, I am aware that there are other big chunks of metal on the road but they are the ones I observe causing so much bother to other people. Don't be that guy (or girl).
hilarious. well written. bravo.

of course if it was a 2m wide Taycan nobody would mind. because that's a far more swiss car!
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 06.04.2021, 12:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,499
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,639 Times in 18,682 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
hilarious. well written. bravo.

of course if it was a 2m wide Taycan nobody would mind. because that's a far more swiss car!
We have a 2001 Ford Maverick (Escape in the US) which is a SMALL SUV (and still quite large)!

Alas, we sometimes need the 4wd, ground clearance and towbar (rustico at end of a forest road, OK when dry for normal cars, mud or snow need the Maverick or the Panda 4x4 (the Panda is a MICRO SUV, seats 5 and goes anywhere, but has less ground clearnce than the Maverick)

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 06.04.2021, 13:25
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,239
Groaned at 72 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 5,895 Times in 2,778 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
hilarious. well written. bravo.

of course if it was a 2m wide Taycan nobody would mind. because that's a far more swiss car!
I don't have a Taycan but I'm surprised at how my local car understands local parkings. The door has 3 predefined opening positions where it more or less locks in place. The first one stops 3-4 cm away from touching the other car in narrow parking places. The second door position yields the same outcome for larger parking places. The 3rd door position which should be more comfortable, I don't even use it. Well, only when vacuum cleaning the car.

I think there's some standard in car parking width and car manufacturers just made the door stop according to these widths.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06.04.2021, 13:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dornach
Posts: 59
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 86 Times in 38 Posts
gjfuzzy has no particular reputation at present
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

I've seen many drivers of small cars experience great difficulty in pulling into a parking spot straight, let alone not being too close to a line, and spatial awareness on roads is confounding for some so this is not an issue limited to drivers with larger vehicles.

And I still cannot figure out why so many Swiss like to back-up into a spot when they will need to load their goods into the trunk / boot (but I digress).

We imported our Honda from the US without much hassle in cost, getting registered, insured or in getting repairs done. Yeah, it probably costs more for parts and parking can sometimes be difficult, but the car was quite new and fully paid so financially it made sense for us and we don't regret it.

The OP needs to figure out what makes sense for them.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank gjfuzzy for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 06.04.2021, 14:10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 166
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 207 Times in 89 Posts
bokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeablebokabil is considered knowledgeable
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
And I still cannot figure out why so many Swiss like to back-up into a spot when they will need to load their goods into the trunk / boot (but I digress).
I'm not Swiss but I always reverse-park. Why, because I can. And it allows me to better center my car on the spot and be a considerate person. I can see the lines on the mirror and better maneuverability. If I need to load grocery bags, we'll I have hands for that, plus I'm not lazy.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank bokabil for this useful post:
This user groans at bokabil for this post:
  #31  
Old 06.04.2021, 14:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dornach
Posts: 59
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 86 Times in 38 Posts
gjfuzzy has no particular reputation at present
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I'm not Swiss but I always reverse-park. Why, because I can. And it allows me to better center my car on the spot and be a considerate person. I can see the lines on the mirror and better maneuverability. If I need to load grocery bags, we'll I have hands for that, plus I'm not lazy.
Not sure how reverse-parking makes you a considerate person? Parking head-in I can see the lines and can maneuver pretty easily between cars and lines to center it.

In any case, you'd still need to open the trunk / boot to load your groceries so not a question of laziness. To me, it's more practical to do so when your cart / trolley is in the a wider space of an aisle between rows of parking spots than the few centimeters between cars in front-to-front spots.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06.04.2021, 15:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Not sure how reverse-parking makes you a considerate person? Parking head-in I can see the lines and can maneuver pretty easily between cars and lines to center it.

In any case, you'd still need to open the trunk / boot to load your groceries so not a question of laziness. To me, it's more practical to do so when your cart / trolley is in the a wider space of an aisle between rows of parking spots than the few centimeters between cars in front-to-front spots.
nope. reverse parking is much easier - can be done in one movement. forward parking needs either some back and forth or masses of swing space due to the fact the front wheels steer and the backs get dragged along.

every time you see one of those diagonally parked cars with the wheels left on full lock (usually with italian plates) it is always forward parked.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 06.04.2021, 16:18
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
nope. reverse parking is much easier - can be done in one movement.
I don't think I'll ever get there.

I mean, I got other fab one movement wonders, but this ain't it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 06.04.2021, 16:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dornach
Posts: 59
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 86 Times in 38 Posts
gjfuzzy has no particular reputation at present
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
nope. reverse parking is much easier - can be done in one movement. forward parking needs either some back and forth or masses of swing space due to the fact the front wheels steer and the backs get dragged along.

every time you see one of those diagonally parked cars with the wheels left on full lock (usually with italian plates) it is always forward parked.

nope. reverse parking is harder and at least equal if not more steps. You need to go past the spot, put the car in reverse, look in your mirrors and then maneuver backwards into a spot may be between two cars and then also straighten yourself out. Heads-in requires a swing, but one fluid movement in the direction of travel with also some straightening as needed.


Also seen reverse parkers nowhere near the center of the spot.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06.04.2021, 16:56
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,241
Groaned at 66 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,712 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
nope. reverse parking is harder and at least equal if not more steps. You need to go past the spot, put the car in reverse, look in your mirrors and then maneuver backwards into a spot may be between two cars and then also straighten yourself out. Heads-in requires a swing, but one fluid movement in the direction of travel with also some straightening as needed.


Also seen reverse parkers nowhere near the center of the spot.
Ain't got auto park?
https://youtu.be/U91Zp9wWS30
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 06.04.2021, 17:10
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
nope. reverse parking is harder and at least equal if not more steps. You need to go past the spot, put the car in reverse, look in your mirrors and then maneuver backwards into a spot may be between two cars and then also straighten yourself out. Heads-in requires a swing, but one fluid movement in the direction of travel with also some straightening as needed.


Also seen reverse parkers nowhere near the center of the spot.
if you have enough space to swing in forward with the rear wheels in the correct place, then the whole point is moot. sadly that is rarely the case.

sorry i don't count either driving past the space or looking into mirror as 'steps' in this case.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06.04.2021, 17:12
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Ain't got auto park?
https://youtu.be/U91Zp9wWS30


I didn't know watching somebody park was a thing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 06.04.2021, 17:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dornach
Posts: 59
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 86 Times in 38 Posts
gjfuzzy has no particular reputation at present
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post

sorry i don't count either driving past the space or looking into mirror as 'steps' in this case.
Then there are at least equal steps and we can disagree on which method is easier.

I will continue to wonder why the reverse-in, especially in parking lots with head-to-head spots where you likely will need to access the trunk / boot for whatever stuff was purchased and the head-in car will leave you little room for the reverse-in car to do so

Enough tangents on this thread for the poor OP!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06.04.2021, 18:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Then there are at least equal steps and we can disagree on which method is easier.

I will continue to wonder why the reverse-in, especially in parking lots with head-to-head spots where you likely will need to access the trunk / boot for whatever stuff was purchased and the head-in car will leave you little room for the reverse-in car to do so

Enough tangents on this thread for the poor OP!
head to head spots are completely impossible to drive in forward without a ton of back and forth! unless you drive a rear steer articulated dump truck. they are basically the same as parallel parking on the street. surely you wouldn't attempt to do that front first? or do you just mount the kerb with abandon? if driving backwards is such a challenge, what do you do when you meet an oncoming car on a single track road? refuse to reverse even if there is a passing space right behind you? i think i've come across your type. especially during holiday periods. we call you 'schone panoramas'....

in any case the trunk/boot in my car is in the front.....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at DL21 for this post:
  #40  
Old 06.04.2021, 18:30
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,803
Groaned at 152 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,886 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. Honda Pilot [car] Move to Zurich

Quote:
View Post
if driving backwards is such a challenge, what do you do when you meet an oncoming car on a single track road? refuse to reverse even if there is a passing space right behind you?
A few weekends ago i was out for a hike and stopped to eat lunch at a scenic spot. I watched as a car started from a parking lot down a single lane road traversing a steep hillside, but only went about 15 meters before a wide delivery truck came around the next bend in the opposite direction. The car stopped and hesitated for a while, staring at the truck like a deer caught in headlights, before finally conceding and putting it into reverse. Unfortunately, they must have never tried this before. Despite 4 or 5 attempts, they kept backing up into the scrubby grass on the edge of the road - then pulling forward again into the middle. In the meantime, several other cars had arrived and seen that they had to make room for the reversing car, and for the truck, and had reversed themselves back into the parking lot. It was taking the unable-to-reverse driver so long to move, that these cars were now blocking the access road to the nearby hotel and a small traffic jam developed, along with a small crowd of people who were taking in the spectacle (and laughing quite hysterically at the absurdity of it all, as was I).

The driver just happened to be a blonde woman in a BMW with Aargau plates.
__________________
you are being programmed
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recreational Flying near Zurich (PPL Pilot) HilR Travel/day trips/free time 19 28.02.2022 16:46
Motorbike Honda VTR 250 [Zurich] aurora australis Items for sale 4 08.04.2017 15:13
[For Sale in Zurich city] 2014 Honda Civic nomad66 Items for sale 7 27.02.2017 14:15
PPL - Pilot - Share a flight around Zurich Mathieu_ Travel/day trips/free time 8 22.12.2016 09:17
Importing car from US to Switzerland - anyone has Honda Pilot? marincica Transportation/driving 27 21.01.2013 09:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0