English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Parallel Imports. (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/303509-parallel-imports.html)

bowlie 06.04.2021 17:51

Parallel Imports.
 
I’m thinking about buying a new (25km) car that is marketed as a parallel import. I’m not sure from which country, but the model is not available in Switzerland. (It’s a Skoda Citygo electric)

Some of my neighbours are telling me to avoid parallel Imports as the Warranty won’t be valid in Switzerland and it will be impossible to get the car serviced.

I’m not expecting to get free service!

Can anyone comment on the Warranty and availability of service?

Axa 06.04.2021 18:54

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
That's the same car than the VW e-UP sold locally. Any reason to go for the Skoda instead of the VW that can be easily bought here?

curley 06.04.2021 19:02

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axa (Post 3293263)
That's the same car than the VW e-UP sold locally. Any reason to go for the Skoda instead of the VW that can be easily bought here?

The 25km are probably a 20% knock off of an originally not Swiss price. :)

Vorführwagen (demonstration car), lots of people sat in it, lots of people touched it but nobody moved it. Usually a good deal.

bowlie 06.04.2021 19:11

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
That was our thinking.

Although Skodas are nearly identical to VW they are often less expensive.

curley 06.04.2021 19:20

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
I can't say anything about warranty, could be difficult as car builders highly dislike parallel import and will just luv to make your life difficult.

As to service: That will be absolutely no problem, there are tons of "free garages" here who will take care of it. I always chose free garages, their common sense makes my life easier and cheaper. :)

fatmanfilms 06.04.2021 19:20

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3293270)
That was our thinking.

Although Skodas are nearly identical to VW they are often less expensive.

Skoda is the most profitable brand in the group percentage of sale price by a long way.

bowlie 06.04.2021 19:43

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
So we have servicing done at a free garage and they detect a manufacturing defect. Can that garage claim from the manufacturer?

fatmanfilms 06.04.2021 19:56

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3293288)
So we have servicing done at a free garage and they detect a manufacturing defect. Can that garage claim from the manufacturer?

Guarantee should be international, just Swiss the agents usual level of 'customer service'.

hoover1 06.04.2021 20:05

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3293293)
Guarantee should be international, just Swiss the agents usual level of 'customer service'.

only for the EU produced cars - you get 2-years in CH . Good example may be BMW X5 - which was/is? produced in US and would not be under EU warranty vs US purchased and re-imported Audi Q7 which is build in EU and under warranty in CH.

Also it's not unheard of for TCS to deliver car to DE shop for repairs so I'd not be worried much with Skoda_DE or similar

AbFab 06.04.2021 20:22

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
There will be very little to service on an EV - or hopefully go wrong...

hoover1 06.04.2021 20:59

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 3293303)
There will be very little to service on an EV - or hopefully go wrong...

battery going bad ?

I have neighbour with new e-Tron . Car had to be picked up to get fixed and it wasn't toward onto lorry - it had special set of hydraulics to raise it and put onto audi-provided service vehicle . Just say''

3Wishes 08.04.2021 21:10

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
We bought a brand new parallel import several years back. It's got all the bells and whistles of a "Swiss" car, it just doesn't have a fancy plate on the back and it cost a fraction of the price. The local garage services it for us without problem and at a fair price.

There was still a 2-year warranty on defects and the like, but note it starts from when the car was registered by the importer. So we only got 18 months or something. Not really a big deal, few things go wrong in the first few years of ownership anyway.

When you buy the parallel import, the usual service package for 5 years doesn't exist. We ran the numbers before we bought. Service A is about 800 Fr. Service B is about 1,500. We only need one of each per year because we don't drive that much. After 10 years we will have spent 23K on service. Had we bought a new "Swiss" car, we'd have paid that 23K up front and then some as part of the purchase price, and only gotten 5 years of service.

Some folks say that parallel imports have lower resale values. I don't know, we've not sold yet and don't plan to. It's been a great car and was a bargain. It's not right for everyone, but for us it worked out well.

Mikers 08.04.2021 22:11

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Wishes (Post 3294237)
We bought a brand new parallel import several years back. It's got all the bells and whistles of a "Swiss" car, it just doesn't have a fancy plate on the back and it cost a fraction of the price. The local garage services it for us without problem and at a fair price.

There was still a 2-year warranty on defects and the like, but note it starts from when the car was registered by the importer. So we only got 18 months or something. Not really a big deal, few things go wrong in the first few years of ownership anyway.

When you buy the parallel import, the usual service package for 5 years doesn't exist. We ran the numbers before we bought. Service A is about 800 Fr. Service B is about 1,500. We only need one of each per year because we don't drive that much. After 10 years we will have spent 23K on service. Had we bought a new "Swiss" car, we'd have paid that 23K up front and then some as part of the purchase price, and only gotten 5 years of service.

Some folks say that parallel imports have lower resale values. I don't know, we've not sold yet and don't plan to. It's been a great car and was a bargain. It's not right for everyone, but for us it worked out well.

Possibly the most misunderstood point about car ownership here is having them serviced every year, it’s a total con. The vast majority of cars work and are reliable. Change the oil, that’s what matters. Change brakes and break fluid when they are worn out not when the garage says ‘new brakes needed Sir’ and apart from that fix it when it goes wrong.


Honestly I also used to do the whole service thing. Now I’ve done one garage service over the last 3 years for one of my tow cars. I changed the brakes on them myself and it was a doddle and changed the oil on one. Both cars still running fine at 170k and 225k.

Believe me, I mean it in a humble way I’m a complete chimp at cars but with YouTube changing oil and simple things is so easy and you suddenly realize Swiss garage servicing is just a cartel fleecing you.

st2lemans 08.04.2021 22:13

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3293288)
So we have servicing done at a free garage and they detect a manufacturing defect. Can that garage claim from the manufacturer?

Only if they pass via the importer.

Tom

hoover1 08.04.2021 22:42

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
I use to visit garage for service every 30k to go and get checked and change oil .. now I'd do every 50k or so . Using garage of famous Car-repair-"nic" makes me feel I support his family and not AMAG - happy to keep it that way.

bowlie 09.04.2021 07:24

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
I don’t think I’ll need too much oil for an e-car. Maybe for the door hinges.

Does anyone know what service the manufacturers recommend for e-cars?

Found this:

Quote:

We looked at market leader Tesla’s website, which lists the following procedures under ‘recommended maintenance service’:

Cabin air filter (every two years)
High-efficiency particulate air filter (every three years)
Brake fluid test (every two years)
Air conditioning (between two and six years, depending on model)
Brake calipers (every 12 months or 12,500 miles in cold weather regions)

AbFab 09.04.2021 09:04

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3294334)
I don’t think I’ll need too much oil for an e-car. Maybe for the door hinges.

Does anyone know what service the manufacturers recommend for e-cars?

Found this:

I hardly use the brakes on my model 3 due to regenerative braking.

I had a free computer upgrade after 15,000kms and 22 months ownership. Tesla gave me a free loaner for the day and they also checked over my car as per their recommended service. This was free and nothing needed doing.

In all I don‘t expect to need any kind of service for the next 5 years. There a big shock coming for VW dealers as they happily sell the iD3/4...

bowlie 11.04.2021 08:05

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Saw and tested the car on Friday. A lot to like about it. Acceleration onto autoroute tip top. Was travelling at speed quickly. No rock and roll or shimmering at 120km/h. Regenerative braking takes a little getting used to, but I have always driven manuals. And you can turn it off.

The Mrs has noted that Skoda will discontinue the Citygo later this year. Apparently they want to focus on larger, and more profitable, e cars. She worries that will have a negative impact on resale value. My thinking is the opposite, that reduced supply is going to push prices up not down.

In any case we probably will hang on to it for at least 10 years.

The car is listed for sale at f19,900. Should I offer a lower amount? Perhaps 10% less. Or will this be a waste of time.

3Wishes 11.04.2021 20:24

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3295061)
...The car is listed for sale at f19,900. Should I offer a lower amount? Perhaps 10% less. Or will this be a waste of time.

If you're going with a parallel importer, it might be a waste of time but it doesn't hurt to ask. :) We were prepared to buy a car on the spot after a test drive, but we felt it was overpriced. We asked for I think, 2-3K discount? Not that much in the grand scheme of things and we were prepared to pay cash. The guy said no thanks, have a great day. So we walked out and bought elsewhere.

Sean Connery 11.04.2021 20:31

Re: Parallel Imports.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3295061)
tip top

Tip Top indeed :D

Pay up and have the Swiss passport that comes with it :D


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0