English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   My Car Failed MFK today (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/303615-my-car-failed-mfk-today.html)

wsp 12.04.2021 22:26

My Car Failed MFK today
 
My car failed control test today Strassenverkehrsamt/SAN. Reported problems are in the picture.

1. Does it mean I need to replace tyres with new ones?
2. Will be able ask for a engine clean in car wash centres like Oscar car wash?
3. Is there a garage in the vicinity of Zug or Zurich, which could help fix these problems cheaper?
4. How much this may cost approximately ?


We ascertain the following complaints or detentions marked with:
- Brake disc contact pattern, front and rear, not fulfilled
- Clean engine + leak tightness, check:
- Tires 1st axle: 205/55 R16 91V
- 2nd axis: 205/55 R16 91V

wsp 12.04.2021 22:28

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
BTW, With respect to brake disk, they clearly mentioned rust in the disk brakes

Jeep Life 12.04.2021 22:35

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsp (Post 3295673)
My car failed control test today Strassenverkehrsamt/SAN. Reported problems are in the picture.

1. Does it mean I need to replace tyres with new ones?
2. Will be able ask for a engine clean in car wash centres like Oscar car wash?
3. Is there a garage in the vicinity of Zug or Zurich, which could help fix these problems cheaper?
4. How much this may cost approximately ?


We ascertain the following complaints or detentions marked with:
- Brake disc contact pattern, front and rear, not fulfilled
- Clean engine + leak tightness, check:
- Tires 1st axle: 205/55 R16 91V
- 2nd axis: 205/55 R16 91V


Picture?

I can't find any picture.

Landers 12.04.2021 23:00

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsp (Post 3295673)
My car failed control test today Strassenverkehrsamt/SAN. Reported problems are in the picture.

1. Does it mean I need to replace tyres with new ones?
2. Will be able ask for a engine clean in car wash centres like Oscar car wash?
3. Is there a garage in the vicinity of Zug or Zurich, which could help fix these problems cheaper?
4. How much this may cost approximately ?


We ascertain the following complaints or detentions marked with:
- Brake disc contact pattern, front and rear, not fulfilled
- Clean engine + leak tightness, check:
- Tires 1st axle: 205/55 R16 91V
- 2nd axis: 205/55 R16 91V

I also don't see any picture. Brake discs and pads can be fairly cheap to replace. It could be that the car has been standing for a while and a so-called "Italian tune-up" might work on them to remove any surface rust. i.e. drive it and brake a lot. Or it could be uneven wear as a result of seized calipers which then would be expensive.

The engine clean could be a problem. It seems they suspect an oil leak. If a clean cleans it and there's no leak to be seen then it'll be ok. You hear of people cleaning on the day when they know there are actual leaks. If a leak is detected it could be anything from very cheap to very expensive to fix.
The bit about the tyres is too vague unless they're the wrong size.

wsp 13.04.2021 06:05

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Thank you :)

I could not upload picture not exceeding 800x600 :(

Any garage who could help in and around bug, which won't cost a fortune?
Engine clean, can it be done on car wash centres like Oscar car wash?

wsp 13.04.2021 06:11

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Meant looking for a garage , in and around Zug

NickGB 13.04.2021 07:28

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsp (Post 3295710)
Engine clean, can it be done on car wash centres like Oscar car wash?


Unfortunately you are not allowed to wash your engine bay at Oscars, nor do they offer that service. I know that you don't want to incur much costs, but most car dealers offer an inspection 'service', which includes cleaning the engine and checking over everything. This may be cheaper in the long run.

NotAllThere 13.04.2021 08:27

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NickGB (Post 3295714)
This may be cheaper in the long run.

I think so. It seems quite difficult to get the car through the MFK on your own. I gave up years ago! :D

k_and_e 13.04.2021 09:11

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Go to the official dealer, hand over the list and ask them to go back to the StvA again. Maybe not the cheapest option but at least you will pass.

fatmanfilms 13.04.2021 09:16

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 3295740)
Go to the official dealer, hand over the list and ask them to go back to the StvA again. Maybe not the cheapest option but at least you will pass.

It may cost more than the car is worth, I would avoid this at all costs as they have a wear-use full of parts they want to sell, especially if it's an older car!

Find a small back street garage who will clean the engine 10 minutes before the test & wipe any leaks with a cloth whilst outside waiting :D

curley 13.04.2021 09:39

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3295743)
It may cost more than the car is worth, I would avoid this at all costs as they have a wear-use full of parts they want to sell, especially if it's an older car!

Find a small back street garage who will clean the engine 10 minutes before the test & wipe any leaks with a cloth whilst outside waiting :D

:rofl:
I had a Mini Metro once, that was wiped outside, then rolled into the test-center.
Ans it passed too!

I would think those days are over?

st2lemans 13.04.2021 09:49

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3295724)
It seems quite difficult to get the car through the MFK on your own.

It's not, I do it all the time! ;)

Tom

pilatus1 13.04.2021 10:10

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
get your brakes fixed and tires changed, then go here to clean the engine and chassis:

https://happycarwash.com/standorte/huenenberg/

they have a wash stall with a lift. Take an old raincoat and goggles!

wipe off the top of the engine and anything you can reach using paper towels and brake parts cleaner.

Then go directly to the STVA while it's all clean.

robBob 13.04.2021 10:12

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3295760)
It's not, I do it all the time! ;)

Tom

The misses usually goes. Passes all the time.

me.anon 13.04.2021 10:17

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3295743)
It may cost more than the car is worth, I would avoid this at all costs as they have a wear-use full of parts they want to sell, especially if it's an older car!

Find a small back street garage who will clean the engine 10 minutes before the test & wipe any leaks with a cloth whilst outside waiting :D

The advice is surely good but you have to get your auto-correcting proof reader under control. It could have been worse.
whore house.

EPMike 13.04.2021 10:28

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by me.anon (Post 3295779)
The advice is surely good but you have to get your auto-correcting proof reader under control. It could have been worse.
whore house.

how is a "whore house" worse:confused:

meloncollie 13.04.2021 10:39

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
The best 150 Chuffs i spend is the fee I pay to my local garage to have the mechanic take the car himself to the MFK.

My car passes every time.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to things automotive and wish to remain in blissful ignorance happy to support a customer-focused local business. ;)

AbFab 13.04.2021 10:45

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 3295791)
The best 150 Chuffs i spend is the fee I pay to my local garage to have the mechanic take the car himself to the MFK.

My car passes every time.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to things automotive and wish to remain in blissful ignorance happy to support a customer-focused local business. ;)

Although I took my 7-year old Golf for its first MFK, I wouldn't dream of doing it without first having it checked over informing that it is going to the test...

In over 30 years of driving here, I've only needed to have 3 MFKs - all passed after being checked over and cleaned...

robBob 13.04.2021 10:45

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 3295791)
The best 150 Chuffs i spend is the fee I pay to my local garage to have the mechanic take the car himself to the MFK.

My car passes every time.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to things automotive and wish to remain in blissful ignorance happy to support a customer-focused local business. ;)

Once had a garage do that and it failed. Garage told me that it was the first car in all their business history to not pass the test.

rainer_d 13.04.2021 11:16

Re: My Car Failed MFK today
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3295743)
It may cost more than the car is worth,


That may very likely be true - but it will also likely cost less than a new car (or new used car) and likely less than the deprecation of said car in the next year.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0