Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 19.04.2021, 07:42
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,602
Groaned at 2,592 Times in 1,849 Posts
Thanked 39,698 Times in 18,715 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I have an entry in grey card that I should carry coc with me At least that is the way I understand the note.
I have one of those with one of my bikes, though I only carry a photocopy.

Your understanding is correct.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19.04.2021, 20:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Just a quick message in regards to your fax regarding a CoC for your vehicle.
wait a minute.... you sent a fax? which century was this in?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 19.04.2021, 20:46
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,602
Groaned at 2,592 Times in 1,849 Posts
Thanked 39,698 Times in 18,715 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
wait a minute.... you sent a fax? which century was this in?
We use fax all the time at work, also the faramcia does!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 19.04.2021, 21:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,939
Groaned at 76 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,188 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
wait a minute.... you sent a fax? which century was this in?
I know right? However that was the only contact info that was provided in a forum discussing how to get one. Pretty sure I had to use an email to fax service or something like that. I just did a search and people now mention eccoc@bmw.co.uk which seems altogether much more modern.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 21.04.2021, 12:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

someone said that toyota in the uk sent them a CoC by default for their new GR yaris bought in the UK. I bought one in CH a few months ago and didn't get a CoC with it. never got one for any other car i've bought in CH either. maybe that's normal in the UK
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 23.04.2021, 09:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Zuirch
Posts: 52
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 21 Times in 8 Posts
jpjpjpjp has earned some respectjpjpjpjp has earned some respect
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

my situation was a bit different as I imported from the US and just obtained my plates this month.

No need for CoC in Zurich for my BMW 3er but they request a photo of my Vehicle Emission Control Information(USA EPA emissions ratings) which was under my hood. Would find it weird that they accept US emission standards but not European?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 23.04.2021, 09:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Zuirch
Posts: 52
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 21 Times in 8 Posts
jpjpjpjp has earned some respectjpjpjpjp has earned some respect
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
You current insurance is probably not valid unless your residency status is updated with you current insurer along with your address. Swiss insurers will not insure without Swiss plates. You can ride without insurance to your first MFK but remember to remove non swiss number plates.
This is not true, you can insure your car with a Swiss insurer and foreign plates. Have to go thru a 3rd-party but the underlying insurance for me was Zurich Insurance. If anyone is looking to insure foreign plated car, it has been discussed before on the forum, NVC in Basel can do it. Ask for Ronny.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 23.04.2021, 10:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 78
Groaned at 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Marog has become a little unpopularMarog has become a little unpopular
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
This is not true, you can insure your car with a Swiss insurer and foreign plates. Have to go thru a 3rd-party but the underlying insurance for me was Zurich Insurance. If anyone is looking to insure foreign plated car, it has been discussed before on the forum, NVC in Basel can do it. Ask for Ronny.
Definitely not possible. NVC does not provide vehicle insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 23.04.2021, 12:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,939
Groaned at 76 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,188 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post

You current insurance is probably not valid unless your residency status is updated with you current insurer along with your address. Swiss insurers will not insure without Swiss plates. You can ride without insurance to your first MFK but remember to remove non swiss number plates.
I had thought that getting Swiss insurance with the Stammnummer was sufficient but it seems insurance is only valid with plates(?)

My car was tested with foreign plates on without any problem.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 26.04.2021, 09:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Zuirch
Posts: 52
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 21 Times in 8 Posts
jpjpjpjp has earned some respectjpjpjpjp has earned some respect
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Definitely not possible. NVC does not provide vehicle insurance.
I just had my car insured with Zurich thru NVC for the past 6 months, while my car was on foreign plates(US) and that plate number was on the insurance document. Process was quite simple. Would love to hear your data point on the above statement? Did you contact NVC and get turned down?

FYI, I was issued an International Motor Insurance Card(Green).

Last edited by jpjpjpjp; 26.04.2021 at 09:50.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 24.05.2021, 16:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Gallen
Posts: 41
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Horas xmax has no particular reputation at present
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

I used a company to transfer my goods to Switzerland from UK and I just realised in the returned 18.44 form there is no stamp or 13.2 form for my motorcycle.

Any suggestions what to do?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 24.05.2021, 17:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,602
Groaned at 2,592 Times in 1,849 Posts
Thanked 39,698 Times in 18,715 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I used a company to transfer my goods to Switzerland from UK and I just realised in the returned 18.44 form there is no stamp or 13.2 form for my motorcycle.

Any suggestions what to do?
Year, make, model?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 24.05.2021, 18:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Gallen
Posts: 41
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Horas xmax has no particular reputation at present
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Year, make, model?

Tom
2017, Yamaha, X-Max 300
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Horas xmax for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 24.05.2021, 18:07
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,602
Groaned at 2,592 Times in 1,849 Posts
Thanked 39,698 Times in 18,715 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I used a company to transfer my goods to Switzerland from UK and I just realised in the returned 18.44 form there is no stamp or 13.2 form for my motorcycle.

Any suggestions what to do?
Contact the shipper.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 24.05.2021, 18:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Gallen
Posts: 41
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Horas xmax has no particular reputation at present
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Contact the shipper.

Tom
Already did. He said they showed the form and all docs but customs didn’t put any stamp… Great.. they have nothing else to add.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Horas xmax for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 24.05.2021, 18:52
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 182
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 142 Times in 70 Posts
besmegenis has made some interesting contributions
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

How much time passed since you arrived in CH? I moved my bike a little bit later and customs just amended the form.


Quote:
View Post
Already did. He said they showed the form and all docs but customs didn’t put any stamp… Great.. they have nothing else to add.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank besmegenis for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 24.05.2021, 19:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Gallen
Posts: 41
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Horas xmax has no particular reputation at present
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
How much time passed since you arrived in CH? I moved my bike a little bit later and customs just amended the form.
Less than a month so far. Do you think that would cut it? Did you drive your bike to customs at the border?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 24.05.2021, 19:24
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 182
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 142 Times in 70 Posts
besmegenis has made some interesting contributions
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Less than a month is nothing. I brought mine after 3-4 months.

In my case the bike was in the back of the van. I arrived very late to the border crossing and maybe it was not fully open, but the officer gave me some paper (temporary clearance maybe?) to come back the next working day. Of course I "somehow" missed that point and after one reminder by post from customs, I brought the bike to the border. They asked if the bike is here. I said yes, and they finished the paperwork. They didn't even went outside to verify it.

If I was in your shoes I would bring it to the border crossing and explain that company did a mistake and you want to fix it. I would rely on customs officer understanding situation. The only question would be how to bring your bike. If you want to risk driving it on your own or putting it on the trailer.


Quote:
View Post
Less than a month so far. Do you think that would cut it? Did you drive your bike to customs at the border?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank besmegenis for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 24.05.2021, 19:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Gallen
Posts: 41
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Horas xmax has no particular reputation at present
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Less than a month is nothing. I brought mine after 3-4 months.

In my case the bike was in the back of the van. I arrived very late to the border crossing and maybe it was not fully open, but the officer gave me some paper (temporary clearance maybe?) to come back the next working day. Of course I "somehow" missed that point and after one reminder by post from customs, I brought the bike to the border. They asked if the bike is here. I said yes, and they finished the paperwork. They didn't even went outside to verify it.

If I was in your shoes I would bring it to the border crossing and explain that company did a mistake and you want to fix it. I would rely on customs officer understanding situation. The only question would be how to bring your bike. If you want to risk driving it on your own or putting it on the trailer.
I have UK plates, UK insurance that covers Switzerland, V5 and other docs so driving should not be an issue. I intend to drive with UK plates for the summer or so and swap later on.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 24.05.2021, 20:02
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 182
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 142 Times in 70 Posts
besmegenis has made some interesting contributions
Re: Import Vehicle When Moving to Switzerland

There might be no issue from UK insurance point of view, but your bike is at the moment illegally imported. It was not declared at the point of entry. It would be beneficial to stay off the road. Personally, I would prefer bringing it on the trailer/van.

Quote:
View Post
I have UK plates, UK insurance that covers Switzerland, V5 and other docs so driving should not be an issue. I intend to drive with UK plates for the summer or so and swap later on.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(HELP!) CO2 Vehicle Emissions Import Charges Sileas Transportation/driving 31 31.07.2020 15:51
Vehicle test in order to import a car MaleBuffy Transportation/driving 12 09.03.2016 00:47
Does vehicle import duty calculator exist? vvd Transportation/driving 0 30.12.2014 11:51
Vehicle Import Duties dodgyken Transportation/driving 1 05.03.2014 16:05
Vehicle import done -now need to register Unibelle Transportation/driving 6 20.11.2011 09:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0