Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.10.2021, 17:43
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 137
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 17 Posts
alefsin has no particular reputation at present
Who is who in electric charging networks?

For electric cars, it seems that there are lots of different charging networks, many of which have their own cards, subscriptions and pricing scheme.



I'm about to get my first electric car and I'm already confused which charging option would be the right one for me: eCharge, evpass, energie360, Plugsurfing, MOVE, NewMotion, ChargeNow, ...


Who is who in these networks? What is your experience and which one would you recommend?


Edit: btw, I'm getting a Polestar 2 and I live in VD. I mostly go between Zurich ~ Lausanne. During the ski season I go a lot between as Lausanne ~ Valais as well as other places. Finally, once in a year or two I might go on longer trips to Germany or France.

Last edited by alefsin; 01.10.2021 at 18:36. Reason: Added info about the car
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.10.2021, 18:00
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,782
Groaned at 386 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 13,256 Times in 4,544 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

It's a nightmare!

Tesla decided from the start that a charging network was a vital asset and strong selling point.

Just plug in and it works - no card required. (Just a Tesla!)

There are a lot of attractive new EVs coming on the market, but the question is the one you've raised - what's it all about?!?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.10.2021, 18:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 7,028
Groaned at 419 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 9,723 Times in 4,550 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Sorry, can’t really help you here as I have only used a public charger once, when I was bringing our new Citigo-iv home from Lucerne.

I’ve got the provided charger plugged into the mains in the garage and charge it up every night to a 80% charge. The app allows me to limit charging to the ‘off-peak’ hours of 23h to 06h.

We thought about installing a fast charger but that was going to be 1k francs and so far we haven’t needed it. I doubt we ever will.

For some the so-called range anxiety may be real, but not for us.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.10.2021, 18:22
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 137
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 17 Posts
alefsin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Quote:
View Post
It's a nightmare!

Tesla decided from the start that a charging network was a vital asset and strong selling point.

Just plug in and it works - no card required. (Just a Tesla!)

There are a lot of attractive new EVs coming on the market, but the question is the one you've raised - what's it all about?!?

Well, it seems that Tesla will open its charging network to the others sometime this year. So soon one more player will be added to the mix
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.10.2021, 18:26
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 137
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 17 Posts
alefsin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, can’t really help you here as I have only used a public charger once, when I was bringing our new Citigo-iv home from Lucerne.

I’ve got the provided charger plugged into the mains in the garage and charge it up every night to a 80% charge. The app allows me to limit charging to the ‘off-peak’ hours of 23h to 06h.

We thought about installing a fast charger but that was going to be 1k francs and so far we haven’t needed it. I doubt we ever will.

For some the so-called range anxiety may be real, but not for us.
I agree that charging at home is probably the most logical thing to do. I'm getting a charger installed (though the problems with the PPE with that is another story). However, I do travel often between Lausanne and Zurich and few times per year even further than that. So charging on the road is something that I'll need to figure out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.10.2021, 18:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,998
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 4,307 Times in 2,309 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Quote:
View Post
For electric cars, it seems that there are lots of different charging networks, many of which have their own cards, subscriptions and pricing scheme.



I'm about to get my first electric car and I'm already confused which charging option would be the right one for me: eCharge, evpass, energie360, Plugsurfing, MOVE, NewMotion, ChargeNow, ...


Who is who in these networks? What is your experience and which one would you recommend?
It depends on what electric car you actually want to get - and where you want to travel (mostly) with it.

This seemingly little but vital piece of information was unfortunately missing from your post.

Tesla has their own.

Others offer subsidies for other networks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.10.2021, 18:34
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 137
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 17 Posts
alefsin has no particular reputation at present
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Quote:
View Post
It depends on what electric car you actually want to get - and where you want to travel (mostly) with it.

This seemingly little but vital piece of information was unfortunately missing from your post.

Tesla has their own.

Others offer subsidies for other networks.
True, sorry for the missing info. I'm getting a Polestar 2 and I live in VD. I mostly go between Zurich ~ Lausanne as well as Lausanne ~ Valais.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.10.2021, 18:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 7,028
Groaned at 419 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 9,723 Times in 4,550 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Well I used the one at the Rose de la broyre services near to Payerne. 30minures and it was full.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.10.2021, 20:10
Never TheLess's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Around and about
Posts: 168
Groaned at 7 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 189 Times in 86 Posts
Never TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputation
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Quote:
View Post
I agree that charging at home is probably the most logical thing to do. I'm getting a charger installed (though the problems with the PPE with that is another story). However, I do travel often between Lausanne and Zurich and few times per year even further than that. So charging on the road is something that I'll need to figure out.
Never had to charge away from home until now but the Polestar came with a 1 year sub to plugsurfing. We charge off the normal socket at the moment, may change.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.10.2021, 21:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 327
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 590 Times in 220 Posts
Tox_Rat has a reputation beyond reputeTox_Rat has a reputation beyond reputeTox_Rat has a reputation beyond reputeTox_Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

I'm also in VD and I charge at public chargers, mostly using evpass. There is one in my neighborhood and one near work. I also have MOVE, which I can use to charge in MOVE or other networks when I'm traveling. It isn't quite the same price, but close enough for the little I use the card.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01.10.2021, 21:34
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,601
Groaned at 82 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 6,472 Times in 3,064 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Quote:
View Post
I agree that charging at home is probably the most logical thing to do. I'm getting a charger installed (though the problems with the PPE with that is another story). However, I do travel often between Lausanne and Zurich and few times per year even further than that. So charging on the road is something that I'll need to figure out.
The plan of the Swiss government of having a charger every 40km in a rest areas in highways will be completed soon. So, no matter what car you got, you can recharge.

The plan: https://www.astra.admin.ch/astra/fr/...ationales.html

And the map https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=de&to...1&N=1223076.97
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.10.2021, 21:39
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,549
Groaned at 92 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 20,145 Times in 8,916 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Quote:
View Post
... no matter what car you got, you can recharge.
Assuming there's an open spot. The only public charging spot I know around me is at Migros, and it's almost never available.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.10.2021, 21:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 7,028
Groaned at 419 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 9,723 Times in 4,550 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who is who in electric charging networks?

Quote:
View Post
Assuming there's an open spot. The only public charging spot I know around me is at Migros, and it's almost never available.
Funnily enough our Migros two charging points are usually filled with Teslas.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EV Swiss charging networks/cards Babenas Transportation/driving 3 28.06.2021 12:36
New Building Regs and Electric Car Charging Sidley Housing in general 23 05.11.2020 20:15
occupy the electric car charging station without charging (NOT TESLA CHARGERS) zorwick Transportation/driving 5 28.07.2019 15:05
Electric Car Charging Point-Who pays? Elly Transportation/driving 35 17.09.2018 17:58
Electric car charging AshwinS Transportation/driving 23 27.03.2018 07:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0