English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022 (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/309156-swiss-cancels-flights-summer-2022-a.html)

roegner 10.06.2022 08:19

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biro (Post 3415737)
It can do it you take a night train....

Yea and then I arrive saturday morning, wrecked from not being able to sleep in a train. Now I arrive Friday evening and still can do something.

Each their own!

TonyClifton 10.06.2022 08:52

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
BA have cancelled flights out of Heathrow this weekend, Scandinavian Airlines pilots look to go on strike, Eurowings and Lufthansa have cancelled flights in July due to staff shortages, Wizz Air and Brussels Airlines have also cancelled flights in June and July, Air France were on strike yesterday as were Italian air traffic controllers. Phew!

Who would want to risk flying at the moment amidst all this?! Flying on my own I'd chance it, but with family? Forget it!

MattyRedSox 10.06.2022 10:21

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
It appears that years of not taking better care of their staff is coming home to bite the airlines in the ---.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out, but considering the training and security checks necessary for flight crew and ground staff, who were largely let go, furloughed, quit, and otherwise left the industry over the COVID period, coupled with a dramatic increase in flight demand, it's going to be an interesting summer.

We booked, at a premium, with a carrier known to take care of its staff (I used to work in the industry and and have kept up with several former colleagues who are still in the industry). I'm glad to have built in flexibility to our plans.

AbFab 10.06.2022 10:27

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyRedSox (Post 3415758)
It appears that years of not taking better care of their staff is coming home to bite the airlines in the ---.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out, but considering the training and security checks necessary for flight crew and ground staff, who were largely let go, furloughed, quit, and otherwise left the industry over the COVID period, coupled with a dramatic increase in flight demand, it's going to be an interesting summer.

We booked, at a premium, with a carrier known to take care of its staff (I used to work in the industry and and have kept up with several former colleagues who are still in the industry). I'm glad to have built in flexibility to our plans.

The problem has been competition between airlines and the demand and support for low cost carriers. It costs roughly the same to fly Zurich to London as it did 40 years ago with Dan Air.

Margins are too thin and passengers won’t or can’t pay more.

When a taxi to the airport cost more than the flight, there’s something wrong…

Belgianmum 10.06.2022 10:31

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by koahiatamadl (Post 3415680)
Excluding long-haul flights - unless your destination is close to the arrival airport you may be surprised. Door to door it takes me about 12 hrs to drive to the UK, via the tunnel vs 8 hrs to fly, pick up a hire car and drive up into coastal Suffolk. It would take longer to get to my final destination without a car. At that point it’s a day any way you look at it but driving along in my car is infinitely more relaxing.

For my first post pandemic flight back to the UK in late March it took me ten hrs - most efficient ZRH experience i can recall but nothing but delays at every single step once we had taxied to our arrival gate at Heathrow, this did include waiting to get off the plane, to go through passport control, an hr for Enterprise to give me a car (at 11pm) and road closures…so in July I’m driving again.

That was exactly my point in response to the poster who said they were travelling by car.

We are lucky because we have the option to do that as do lots of people who are travelling to Europe but others who need to travel to other places don’t have that option.

It is always quicker for me to fly if I want to visit my family in the north of England but we usually drive anyway as we need a car over there if we want to visit OH’s family and the kids who live in the south. We are usually three adults sharing the driving and it means we have more space for luggage and stuff we want to bring back with us.


Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyClifton (Post 3415741)
BA have cancelled flights out of Heathrow this weekend, Scandinavian Airlines pilots look to go on strike, Eurowings and Lufthansa have cancelled flights in July due to staff shortages, Wizz Air and Brussels Airlines have also cancelled flights in June and July, Air France were on strike yesterday as were Italian air traffic controllers. Phew!

Who would want to risk flying at the moment amidst all this?! Flying on my own I'd chance it, but with family? Forget it!

Same here but as I already said we are fortunate to have the option to be able to do that, not everybody has that option.

We’re driving to Italy for our holiday this year. We are also fortunate in that we are no longer tied to school holidays any more.

MattyRedSox 10.06.2022 10:38

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 3415761)
The problem has been competition between airlines and the demand and support for low cost carriers. It costs roughly the same to fly Zurich to London as it did 40 years ago with Dan Air.

Margins are too thin and passengers won’t or can’t pay more.

When a taxi to the airport cost more than the flight, there’s something wrong…

There upheaval in the industry is also going to to be seriously affected by loss of business travel... so many companies updated their on line meeting abilities and many won't be sending as many travellers on company business anymore. Those business travellers and the corporate deals accounted for the majority of the profits made by the legacy carriers. The low cost ones made their money on discount and holiday travel as well as packages.

I expect fuller planes, less flexibility on travel times, and higher prices for the foreseeable future. I also would not risk booking through a third party currently, unless they guarantee refunds directly. At least if you book directly with your carrier, you are certain of your ticket and the refund policies.

JackieH 10.06.2022 12:15

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biro (Post 3415737)
It can do it you take a night train....


Great news that in Europe night trains are making a big come back. Makes total sense. Not for me, as I love to look out at countryside as I travel along, and I have the time. And of course, my post was not personal, but was about the general principle that most places in central Europe, from Switzerland, are much more easily reachable by train. Berlin is not - just that little too far. And of course, depends where you live and how easy it is to arrive at the airport, and to get from airport to destination at the other end. In so many cases, the time, energy, stress and added cost is just not worth it.

Government should work towards better integration of train travel, and subsidies, to balance unfair competition, and massive pollution, of short haul flights.

The two week comment was about long-haul- what is the point of spending 10+ hours on flights for a week-end?

Why make it personal however? Yes, for the first time in 5 years, we flew to Seville about 2 months ago and spent 10 days there, using buses and trains to visit the town and Cordoba. Would never go for a week-end, personally. Last time we had to go to a Conference in Madrid for a long week-end (not retired) - we turned it into a 2 week holiday, travelling all around Spain by train.

If this crisis encourages people to respect the concept of flying places more, and makes people think about how they consume, and alternatives- why not - great.

We go to UK by car as we need a car there as we visit family and friends all over, and take the opportunity to discover parts of France on the way. We offer lifts there, or back to friends. Of course neither train, nor car is available for people with family far away. My point was that for many of us, family in the South or Midlands of the UK, are so much easier to visit than flying.

Each their own inded- but it rarely hurts to rethink if alternatives possible, in many cases- and make an informed choice.

Kristan 10.06.2022 15:56

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Besides the possibility of having the flights cancelled due to lack of staff, the prices atm are complete crazy... almost triple of what I paid 2.5 years ago for the same amount of people.

litespeed 10.06.2022 21:12

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristan (Post 3415842)
Besides the possibility of having the flights cancelled due to lack of staff, the prices atm are complete crazy... almost triple of what I paid 2.5 years ago for the same amount of people.

It's a similar story with rental cars. 3 years ago i hired a fairly basic 4 door sedan in Sydney...11 days cost me 350AUD. Now, a similar vehicle will cost me 1100AUD or more.

The excuse is the lag getting fleets back up to size post-COVID. I suspect there is some collusive price-gouging going on by the major market players.

blackbird 10.06.2022 21:56

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
I checked on prices for a rental car in the US in October, for around 2 weeks the price in LA was around 1800 sfr (cheapest offer from avis), in phoenix round 625 sfr (cheapest offer from avis).

AbFab 10.06.2022 23:14

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by litespeed (Post 3415923)
It's a similar story with rental cars. 3 years ago i hired a fairly basic 4 door sedan in Sydney...11 days cost me 350AUD. Now, a similar vehicle will cost me 1100AUD or more.

The excuse is the lag getting fleets back up to size post-COVID. I suspect there is some collusive price-gouging going on by the major market players.

Last September I went to Crete, Greece and hired a 4x4. To my surprise it was the same vehicle I hired in 2018. It had 30,000kms on the clock in 2021.

When I remarked about this, they said 2020 had been a difficult year. The price was the same though...

AbFab 11.06.2022 09:09

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Booked to fly Swiss/Lufthansa to Birmingham (UK BHX) some months ago. Flying out on July 30 returning a week later via Frankfurt - there are no direct flights at weekends.

Received an email from Swiss today advising the outbound will be departing 5 hours later than scheduled with the return flight as originally, with the opportunity to cancel or rebook…

bowlie 12.06.2022 08:07

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
In Canada Carmageddon is happening. As an example in mid-August in Calgary there are NO cars available, not at the big guys, not at the local options, not at the brokers.

We were looking for a one way rental to Jasper, where we would catch the via rail train. Absolutely impossible to find.

MattyRedSox 12.06.2022 10:06

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3416085)
In Canada Carmageddon is happening. As an example in mid-August in Calgary there are NO cars available, not at the big guys, not at the local options, not at the brokers.

We were looking for a one way rental to Jasper, where we would catch the via rail train. Absolutely impossible to find.

I had friends who moved back to Alaska last year, encountered a similar issue. I suggested U-Haul… they wound up with a small moving van for a couple of weeks, until they purchased a car.
Check local moving companies and the like, good luck.

Axa 20.06.2022 23:08

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
I just have been notified by Edelweiss that my "direct" flight to Cancun (Mexico) next July has now a brief stopover at Havana (Cuba).

I have to get own of the plane, wait a little in the transit zone, hopefully have a drink, and then board once again the same aircraft in same seat.

Anyway, merging flights in the same direction is much better than cancellation :D

Treverus 22.06.2022 12:57

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Rental car prices are up because of the low supply of new cars… thanks to all the supply chain issues. Rental companies typically buy in bulk all the new cars that won’t be sold otherwise… that’s simply not happening right now as manufacturers struggle to deliver the cars sold to retail already. Low supply and at a premium means higher costs. I wanted a rental in France and a C1 or equivalent micro car is something around 50-60 EUR a day this summer… nearly twice what it used to be.

I can’t agree that flights got expensive, quite the opposite… lots of cheap offers… I just don’t book more than we already did in fear of all the current mess. Doesn’t help if ZRH is alright if your destination airport turns out to be chaos… we actually canceled an easy jet flight and the expensive rental and will go by car instead.

Flakk 22.06.2022 13:38

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treverus (Post 3418253)
I can’t agree that flights got expensive, quite the opposite… lots of cheap offers… I just don’t book more than we already did in fear of all the current mess. Doesn’t help if ZRH is alright if your destination airport turns out to be chaos… we actually canceled an easy jet flight and the expensive rental and will go by car instead.

Depends. Some destinations are cheap, others getting seriously expensive. Berlin for example will cost you 2 to 3 times the pre pandemic price atm. But I did get a cheap UK flight.

eairicbloodaxe 23.06.2022 18:33

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
I've been flying back and forth most weeks from Zurich to Manchester for the past 7 years.

My flight tickets pretty much averaged between 400-500 GBP return (business, fully flexible) for most of those years. Until quite recently, it was still possible to grab the odd "Sweet spot" booking under 300 GBP.

Since the schedule restarted towards back end of 2021, prices have shot up significantly. Now I'm lucky to get one in under 600 GBP, and most seem to be about 650 GBP upwards. My "Sweet spot" grabbing techniques no longer work.

My friend who does the same trip but buys cheapest non flexi economy tickets also says his fares are at least 25% more than before.

It's mostly the fuel price, we think: there was a noticable hike soon after I read an article about how most airlines fuel cost hedging contracts were about to run out. But the removal of Sweet spot deals might be in the name of profit maximisation by Swiss.


Kind regards





Ian

minimimi 23.06.2022 19:49

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flakk (Post 3418267)
Depends. Some destinations are cheap, others getting seriously expensive. Berlin for example will cost you 2 to 3 times the pre pandemic price atm. But I did get a cheap UK flight.

I think it may depend on the business travel ratio. If a flight like Berlin - ZH used to get lots of business and not so much lately they may need to increase the price more. A flight that as not getting much of business travellers anyways does not need to increase that much.

Still I am not sure why some are getting cheaper. Maybe to get people back travelling and to not have to cancel the lines given that each line has its own fixed costs.

roegner 23.06.2022 20:29

Re: Swiss cancels flights for Summer 2022
 
Seeing that I suddenly no longer can get infos on my booked flights, getting an error message when opening the booking, I reckon Swiss snd LH are busy cancelling them……..

So far I have been rebooked on earlier flights that all were delayed so I never arrived earlier, mostly later.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:07.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0