Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27.02.2023, 20:46
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Hello car nerds

We have a nice but boring station wagon and a nice, but also boring A5 convertible that is getting old, close to 200k on the clock. The reason for buying the A5 at the time was to have a 4-seater that would also be good for weekend trips and/or generally have room to take the kids. In reality, the back seats are shit and the kids hated it because of the wind. Now they are also too big and rather be left alone. So I am considering replacement options for the A5 and am asking for suggestions.

Criteria: Fun to drive, yet not too uncomfortable. Year-round use. Petrol. Ideally 2 seats only. Ideally rear-wheel drive. Reasonable budget of up to ... maybe 30k. Or 50? At times I also wonder whether coupe might be just as good. So far to mind came: Audi TT. Mazda MX5. Honda S2000. Mini JCW. BMW M240. I am intrigued by the Toyota GR86, but that has a roof.

Any suggestions or experience with the mentioned rides is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27.02.2023, 21:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2,129
Groaned at 272 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,256 Posts
Biro has a reputation beyond reputeBiro has a reputation beyond reputeBiro has a reputation beyond reputeBiro has a reputation beyond reputeBiro has a reputation beyond reputeBiro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
Hello car nerds

We have a nice but boring station wagon and a nice, but also boring A5 convertible that is getting old, close to 200k on the clock. The reason for buying the A5 at the time was to have a 4-seater that would also be good for weekend trips and/or generally have room to take the kids. In reality, the back seats are shit and the kids hated it because of the wind. Now they are also too big and rather be left alone. So I am considering replacement options for the A5 and am asking for suggestions.

Criteria: Fun to drive, yet not too uncomfortable. Year-round use. Petrol. Ideally 2 seats only. Ideally rear-wheel drive. Reasonable budget of up to ... maybe 30k. Or 50? At times I also wonder whether coupe might be just as good. So far to mind came: Audi TT. Mazda MX5. Honda S2000. Mini JCW. BMW M240. I am intrigued by the Toyota GR86, but that has a roof.

Any suggestions or experience with the mentioned rides is appreciated. Thank you.

MX5 all the way, forget the "mini" unless you want continuous bum bruising !
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Biro for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 27.02.2023, 21:04
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Bum brusing?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27.02.2023, 21:19
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Zug
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
casper has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
Hello car nerds

We have a nice but boring station wagon and a nice, but also boring A5 convertible that is getting old, close to 200k on the clock. The reason for buying the A5 at the time was to have a 4-seater that would also be good for weekend trips and/or generally have room to take the kids. In reality, the back seats are shit and the kids hated it because of the wind. Now they are also too big and rather be left alone. So I am considering replacement options for the A5 and am asking for suggestions.

Criteria: Fun to drive, yet not too uncomfortable. Year-round use. Petrol. Ideally 2 seats only. Ideally rear-wheel drive. Reasonable budget of up to ... maybe 30k. Or 50? At times I also wonder whether coupe might be just as good. So far to mind came: Audi TT. Mazda MX5. Honda S2000. Mini JCW. BMW M240. I am intrigued by the Toyota GR86, but that has a roof.

Any suggestions or experience with the mentioned rides is appreciated. Thank you.
BMW Z4 g29 would be my choice. Great engine, cool exterior and really nice interior. Especially in the frozen grey colour looks great. 2-3 years old used could fit your budget.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank casper for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 27.02.2023, 21:19
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,676
Groaned at 27 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,590 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Having owned the two most interesting cars on your list (not to mention a Lotus Exige) and test drove two of the others, the correct answer is the best Boxster that your budget will stretch to
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 27.02.2023, 21:21
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
BMW Z4 g29 would be my choice. Great engine, cool exterior and really nice interior. Especially in the frozen grey colour looks great. 2-3 years old used could fit your budget.
I was afraid that would come up. I see the rationale, but I just don't like it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27.02.2023, 21:22
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
Having owned the two most interesting cars on your list (not to mention a Lotus Exige) and test drove two of the others, the correct answer is the best Boxster that your budget will stretch to
Same. And I am too old and whiny for a Lotus.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 27.02.2023, 21:37
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,676
Groaned at 27 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,590 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
Same. And I am too old and whiny for a Lotus.
So you have your answer
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27.02.2023, 21:53
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

"Same" referred to my previous post. Seeing myself in a Boxster is difficult. What does a service cost?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27.02.2023, 22:02
WilliamTell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 290
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 122 Posts
WilliamTell has an excellent reputationWilliamTell has an excellent reputationWilliamTell has an excellent reputationWilliamTell has an excellent reputation
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Perhaps not the fastest, but certainly fun...

KARMANN-GHIA Cabriolet
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.02.2023, 22:04
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps not the fastest, but certainly fun...

KARMANN-GHIA Cabriolet
That's a very cool car - but whoever drives this year-round should be shot.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27.02.2023, 22:28
k_and_e
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

previous model Z4, with the atmospheric straight six.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27.02.2023, 22:38
Castro's Avatar
ā la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,989
Groaned at 209 Times in 167 Posts
Thanked 18,895 Times in 6,038 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

If you want a real 'look back' car, the Jaguar F-Type is hard to beat. Beautiful looks and a plush, driver focused cabin.



You do take a risk on the reliability front, however the second hand prices seem to be commensurate (e.g. CHF 40k for a 2017 example with 52k km). And from what I've read a lot of the earlier niggles were sorted by manufacturer recalls so if its got a full service history and is well taken care of you might hit gold.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 27.02.2023, 22:40
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,676
Groaned at 27 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,590 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
"Same" referred to my previous post. Seeing myself in a Boxster is difficult. What does a service cost?
Ahh I see what you mean. The best bit about driving a car is you don't see yourself in it It's the best option. From your list an S2000 would be my pick, but I wouldn't pay the prices they go for these days.

Service cost on my 718 Spyder mine was CHF 1,500 and needs doing every 2 years, but mine has a 4l engine and for an older one I'd take it to a specialist.

Z4M or the Alpina equivalent?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27.02.2023, 22:54
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
Ahh I see what you mean. The best bit about driving a car is you don't see yourself in it It's the best option. From your list an S2000 would be my pick, but I wouldn't pay the prices they go for these days.

Service cost on my 718 Spyder mine was CHF 1,500 and needs doing every 2 years, but mine has a 4l engine and for an older one I'd take it to a specialist.

Z4M or the Alpina equivalent?
Oh, Z4 M. The convertibles all look shit, but you may have a point. There is this totally overpriced beauty (coupe) here ...

But we digress.

BMW Z4 M Coupé, 07.2006 / CHF 49'800.–, Schaltgetriebe manuell, Benzin, Coupé, 343 PS, blau mét., Occasion

https://www.autoscout24.ch/9643906?u...urce=app_share
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27.02.2023, 22:54
Downerbuzz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: town not big enough for the both of us
Posts: 1,267
Groaned at 63 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 1,844 Times in 743 Posts
Downerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond reputeDownerbuzz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Alfa 4c ? I guess anything decent there is prob a bit over the budget you mentioned. Prob the Mx5 then.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27.02.2023, 22:57
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
Alfa 4c ? I guess anything decent there is prob a bit over the budget you mentioned. Prob the Mx5 then.
Another cool one. Budgets can be adjusted, although I am not midlife crisis enough that they don't matter. Rationally, an MX5 is hard to beat.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 27.02.2023, 23:22
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 6,326
Groaned at 124 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 9,393 Times in 4,432 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Honda S2000s have a ridiculous price, it's a 20 year old car which unless you invest yourself and your money in preventive maintenance, there's potential for more tears than smiles while driving.

BMW M240, drives well, but never understood why the textile top always look like not tight enough when closed. Beyond looks, this is car that you can floor without risking too much

MX5. Nice, not so expensive, but have you driven one? There's not much space, phone and wallet and that's it. Wife said that there's not even space for her handbag....and she's right :/

Boxster got the steering right, fun. About the GR86, there are some guys nearby but I have the feeling you're not after this www.tuningbyfrey.ch

Do not understand the uncomfortable part, roads are great around here. Also in nearby Italy and France. There's also the option to get the smallest wheel and thicker side profile tire. An inch or 2 less in the wheel makes a lot of difference in the same car. I have 19in winter tires and 20in summer ones. Car has less rattles in winter haha. You may also opt for less "sporty" shock absorbers.

Anyway, a recent cabrio on the budget and comfy: MB SLC https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/merc...ingPosition=16
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 27.02.2023, 23:29
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

On comfort, I just don't want to break my back when rolling out of the seat. If that makes sense.

Never had SLC on the list. Will have a look. Prefer soft tops though.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 27.02.2023, 23:35
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 6,326
Groaned at 124 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 9,393 Times in 4,432 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car nerds: Sporty 2-seater convertible for year-round use?

Quote:
View Post
On comfort, I just don't want to break my back when rolling out of the seat. If that makes sense.
I get it. I injured my knee a couple winters ago and I had to learn to get in and out of the car once again.

So, seat height, the width of door sills and having something to grab matter. Lotus Exige and Elise are out with their wide door sills I don't remember about the boxster, I was so excited I just jumped in.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free [Zurich] 2 seater and 3 seater sofa farhaneee Free stuff 0 04.01.2018 06:35
Winter Tires Year-round esto Transportation/driving 47 30.11.2012 22:22
School for sporty 10 and 9 year old boys in Zurich LilyRose Family matters/health 3 18.06.2010 23:29
Year round ice rinks around Zurich? aa_248 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 2 28.02.2010 20:14
Holiday Apartments Available all year round [Solenberg, SG] rachvdg Commercial 0 30.09.2009 21:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0