Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.03.2007, 14:23
Filton Kingswood's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East
Posts: 88
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Filton Kingswood has no particular reputation at present
Those sneaky coppers. [hidden speed cameras]

Beware... I saw a couple of coppers setting up a speed camera this morning... it was hidden inside a wheelie bin at the edge of the road in someone drive!

What will they think of next?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.03.2007, 14:28
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,778
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

That is sneaky. In Luzen the radar is now 30 meters or so in front of the camera so spotting the camera at the last minute & braking may no longer work! And of course now there are so many of them in the tunnels there that you send most of your time looking at the speedo intstead of the road, hardly safe .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.03.2007, 14:34
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

something I find really odd is that it seems everyone speeds on the roads here. My husband sticks to the speed limit especially as we still have english plates on our car and don't want t get caught up in the importing issue just yet. Anyway the point being that every one passes him, we feel like pensioners on a sunday drive whenever we go anywhere, but reading a lot of the threads it seems the Swiss don't take speeding lightly yet it seems most people on the roads don't take any notice

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.03.2007, 14:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Live fast. Die Young.
or
Drive slow in built-up areas to negotiation those tram and pedestrian traps (like at the end of your road) and fast within reason on the motorway. Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate use of it does.

dave

Quote:
View Post
something I find really odd is that it seems everyone speeds on the roads here. My husband sticks to the speed limit especially as we still have english plates on our car and don't want t get caught up in the importing issue just yet. Anyway the point being that every one passes him, we feel like pensioners on a sunday drive whenever we go anywhere, but reading a lot of the threads it seems the Swiss don't take speeding lightly yet it seems most people on the roads don't take any notice

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.03.2007, 14:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

UAVs with ISAR radars or Laser Designators. You can run, but you can't hide...

dave

Quote:
View Post
Beware... I saw a couple of coppers setting up a speed camera this morning... it was hidden inside a wheelie bin at the edge of the road in someone drive!

What will they think of next?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.03.2007, 14:39
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
Live fast. Die Young.
or
Drive slow in built-up areas to negotiation those tram and pedestrian traps (like at the end of your road) and fast within reason on the motorway. Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate use of it does.

dave
I don't dispute what you are saying, we have been sticking to the speed limit recently until we get the car fully imported and since sticking to it have noticed that no one else does, and it just surprises me when it seems there are lots of speed cameras around and sneaky hidden ones at that
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.03.2007, 14:40
Eire's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tir na nÓg
Posts: 3,626
Groaned at 54 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,207 Posts
Eire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Hey Nicky,
You had problems yet with the English plates? I am also here on foreign plates and wondering how long I will get away with it. I don't see the point in changing the plates on a right hand drive car since I will have to change them back to sell the car at home anyway (don't think anyone will buy a right hand drive car here) and I don't intend on staying in Switz forever!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.03.2007, 14:43
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,693
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
Hey Nicky,
You had problems yet with the English plates? I am also here on foreign plates and wondering how long I will get away with it. I don't see the point in changing the plates on a right hand drive car since I will have to change them back to sell the car at home anyway (don't think anyone will buy a right hand drive car here) and I don't intend on staying in Switz forever!!!

Only had problems once at the border, we've been here 14 months but intended to sell the car eventually, we've now decided to keep it and import it, we do have till Dec of this year though before we legally have to import it but with the issues we had at the border we thought it best to do it now.

anyway sorry for this being off topic mods!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.03.2007, 15:38
mark's Avatar
The Architect
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zollikon, Switzerland
Posts: 2,995
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 418 Times in 115 Posts
mark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
Hey Nicky,
You had problems yet with the English plates? I am also here on foreign plates and wondering how long I will get away with it. I don't see the point in changing the plates on a right hand drive car since I will have to change them back to sell the car at home anyway (don't think anyone will buy a right hand drive car here) and I don't intend on staying in Switz forever!!!
Hi Eire,

You probably want to hop on over to a thread like this one for that discussion. You'll also find quite a few that deal with UK cars in Switzerland as you browse the threads in the driving section.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.03.2007, 15:44
tts's Avatar
tts tts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 150
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tts has no particular reputation at present
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate use of it does.
Nah. It'd be the sudden deceleration that'd kill you.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.03.2007, 15:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,514
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
UAVs with ISAR radars or Laser Designators. You can run, but you can't hide...

dave
I just hope that once the designator acquires you the UAV driver pickles the camera button, not the other one...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.03.2007, 17:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 7 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pavlik1 has become a little unpopularpavlik1 has become a little unpopular
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
I just hope that once the designator acquires you the UAV driver pickles the camera button, not the other one...
could you please explain more.
I am also looking for speed cam database.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.03.2007, 17:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,514
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
could you please explain more.
It was more of an inside joke, related to the fact that laser designators are used for target designation and the fact that UAVs come now in armed versions.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.03.2007, 17:54
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
something I find really odd is that it seems everyone speeds on the roads here. My husband sticks to the speed limit especially as we still have english plates on our car and don't want t get caught up in the importing issue just yet. Anyway the point being that every one passes him, we feel like pensioners on a sunday drive whenever we go anywhere, but reading a lot of the threads it seems the Swiss don't take speeding lightly yet it seems most people on the roads don't take any notice

I often feel like the Sunday pensioner being bullied by 16 year old testosterone filled boys with new drivers licenses when I'm on the roads here. Speed limits or thereabouts aren't good enough, one must fly past everyone, and of course drift into the lane close enough to annoy at the same time as passing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07.03.2007, 17:56
mark's Avatar
The Architect
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zollikon, Switzerland
Posts: 2,995
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 418 Times in 115 Posts
mark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond reputemark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
I often feel like the Sunday pensioner being bullied by 16 year old testosterone filled boys with new drivers licenses when I'm on the roads here. Speed limits or thereabouts aren't good enough, one must fly past everyone, and of course drift into the lane close enough to annoy at the same time as passing.
Have you ever driven in Italy?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07.03.2007, 18:13
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,347
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,341 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Those sneaky coppers.

Quote:
View Post
Have you ever driven in Italy?
Definitely not! I refuse to!

(and I drove in the NYC area, commuting daily in a car, for 12 years)
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0