Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.07.2009, 21:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 281
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 176 Times in 65 Posts
Libellula is considered knowledgeableLibellula is considered knowledgeableLibellula is considered knowledgeable
Boat Driving Licence

Anyone out there has done the boat driving licence course? I was told that it consists of 12 hours practical and 2 hours theory followed by a test of 60 multiple choice questions and a practical test.

I know there are different licence types (for small boats and yachrs, for large boats)...can anyone let me know which is which or where to find the necessary info in English or Italian?

Does anyone know whether the licence applies to other countries too once you have it? Whether it would have to be renewed after a few years? And more or less what the theory content is concerned about?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.06.2010, 17:53
Freerunner's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lugano
Posts: 61
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Freerunner has made some interesting contributions
Re: Boat Driving Licence

My friends got the licences in Austria, Germany and Croatia. In their opinion, it is 1000 times easier to get the license outside CH. In Switzerland they fail your tests 4-5 times before actually issue your license. For that reason it's cheaper and easier to get the international license elsewhere. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.06.2010, 18:12
eng_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Up where the air is clear
Posts: 1,684
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,658 Times in 843 Posts
eng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boat Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
My friends got the licences in Austria, Germany and Croatia. In their opinion, it is 1000 times easier to get the license outside CH. In Switzerland they fail your tests 4-5 times before actually issue your license. For that reason it's cheaper and easier to get the international license elsewhere. Good luck!
ICC/Day Skipper is reasonably straightforward (you are still expected to have a jolly good grounding in the theory for Day Skipper though), but I would hardly call a 27 hour Yachtmaster exam with 3 hours sleep "easy" Probably one of the hardest things I've ever done, including degrees and setting up a business.

Have a look further down the page at a thread I started a little while back (with replies this week) - "Swiss sailing ticket with international qualificastions" - there's lots of info in there. To summarise, if you want to sail abroad and in CH you need separate tickets, and there is no requirement for set hours of instruction in CH, just as much or as little as you feel you need. Theory test is, evidently, 60 questions of which you have to get 56 right
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.06.2010, 18:27
GenevaSculler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,256
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 531 Posts
GenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boat Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
Have a look further down the page at a thread I started a little while back (with replies this week) - "Swiss sailing ticket with international qualificastions" - there's lots of info in there.
Here's the link to that thread:

Swiss sailing ticket (D-Schein) with non-Swiss qualification?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.06.2010, 18:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boat Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
My friends got the licences in Austria, Germany and Croatia. In their opinion, it is 1000 times easier to get the license outside CH. In Switzerland they fail your tests 4-5 times before actually issue your license. For that reason it's cheaper and easier to get the international license elsewhere. Good luck!
Yes, the tide tables for Switzerland are hellishly complicated; give me the Channel, or the West of Scotland every time.
.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11.06.2010, 18:44
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 2,000
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boat Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
Anyone out there has done the boat driving licence course? I was told that it consists of 12 hours practical and 2 hours theory followed by a test of 60 multiple choice questions and a practical test.

I know there are different licence types (for small boats and yachrs, for large boats)...can anyone let me know which is which or where to find the necessary info in English or Italian?

Does anyone know whether the licence applies to other countries too once you have it? Whether it would have to be renewed after a few years? And more or less what the theory content is concerned about?
For my D permit, which is only for sailboats, I only spent 8 hours doing practical lessons, which included theory on the fly, as well as chart and compass reading. I can't say how much studying I did on the theory but I only missed one question, because I use a different definition of belay in my job than is used by sailors.

Otherwise, the hardest part is getting signed up with the SAN for Theory test. If you are going to do this, then sign up as soon as you can, it could be a long wait list. The practical is easier and was less stressful for all that is cost more.

Good Luck.
__________________
Many men, of course, became extremely rich, but this was perfectly natural, and nothing to be ashamed of, because no one was really poor -- at least no one worth speaking of. - Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11.06.2010, 19:10
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Boat Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
In Switzerland they fail your tests 4-5 times before actually issue your license.
Only of you do something to fail it - passing 1st time is no problem if you do it right .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12.06.2010, 00:45
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 2,000
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boat Driving Licence

Quote:
View Post
Only of you do something to fail it - passing 1st time is no problem if you do it right .
Exactly.

Not speaking the tester's language is not considered "wrong" enough to fail.
I know some French terminology as I was instructed in it during the lessons I took, but I was having help from the other students during the practical exam.

Not really a problem if you know what you are doing and are confident. I think that most people fail because they are afraid they don't know what they are doing and that causes them to make mistakes due to lack of confidence.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, driving, fishing, lake, licence




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat Captain's Licence (Getting/Converting) Gottogo Other/general 44 28.05.2017 23:11
Driving licence question Tiabelle Transportation/driving 36 21.03.2011 08:22
Boat licence der_Inselaffe Transportation/driving 17 15.04.2009 17:37
How do you change CH driving licence back to UK licence? Richard Street Transportation/driving 22 01.07.2008 13:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0