English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Transportation/driving (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/)
-   -   Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question (https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/6080-importing-car-eu-country-not-uk-irl-t-v-insurance-question.html)

eireann 17.04.2007 22:19

Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
I´m planning to take my German registered car with me to CH - bad luck for me, I have to take the German TÜV (control and emission test) just a few months before I leave for CH. Now, my dilemma is whether to hold out a little and get an insurance for foreign registered car (prob more expensive or is this just for cars coming from UK or IRL?) or get CH plates and CH insurance. From what I´ve read my car will have to undergo another TÜV to get the CH plates. Does anyone know if the German TÜV is also valid in CH?

Shorrick Mk2 17.04.2007 23:59

Re: Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
It isn't. Only diplomatic plates cars are exempt from the Swiss testing.

eireann 18.04.2007 19:44

Re: Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
Thanks Shorrick. Apologies, but I only have the German info - besides the TÜV I´ve also had the "Abgasuntersuchung" performed. Any chance this could be valid for CH :(??

Lob 18.04.2007 20:33

Re: Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
Abgas should cost no more than about 50 francs so whilst I don't know, I would not worry about it.
when you kick-off the import process, you'll get import plates and you can get insurance. I have an English-speaking insurance guy would can give you advice about motor and other insurance - ensure you tell him who you'll be working for as knowing me will only get you around 10% (better than nowt though ;))

eireann 18.04.2007 23:47

Re: Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lob Rockster (Post 52417)
Abgas should cost no more than about 50 francs so whilst I don't know, I would not worry about it.
when you kick-off the import process, you'll get import plates and you can get insurance. I have an English-speaking insurance guy would can give you advice about motor and other insurance - ensure you tell him who you'll be working for as knowing me will only get you around 10% (better than nowt though ;))

I know it doesn´t seem much...it just seems such a waste to basically do the same thing twice in the space of a few months esp as this moving business is turning out to be rather costly...please can you PM me the contact details of your friend/colleague/knowledgeable person ;) Thanks :D:D

Lob 19.04.2007 09:53

Re: Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
you could keep it legal German-wise for a year and then import it?

Shorrick Mk2 19.04.2007 10:15

Re: Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eireann (Post 52402)
Thanks Shorrick. Apologies, but I only have the German info - besides the TÜV I´ve also had the "Abgasuntersuchung" performed. Any chance this could be valid for CH :(??

Nope, not valid I'm afraid. Must be checked and your pollution log filled and stamped at a local garage.

etansilver 07.05.2007 19:54

Re: Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
Can anyone please advise me how to import a car from the US. Where do I get the temporary plates from?

Sorensen 07.05.2007 23:47

Re: Importing car from EU country (not UK or IRL) - TÜV and insurance question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eireann (Post 51937)
I´m planning to take my German registered car with me to CH - bad luck for me, I have to take the German TÜV (control and emission test) just a few months before I leave for CH. Now, my dilemma is whether to hold out a little and get an insurance for foreign registered car (prob more expensive or is this just for cars coming from UK or IRL?) or get CH plates and CH insurance. From what I´ve read my car will have to undergo another TÜV to get the CH plates. Does anyone know if the German TÜV is also valid in CH?

If you read German, check out www.hallo-schweiz.de. They have the whole writeup of how-to. There is also discussion in detail on their forum; they even answer posts in English :-)

Unfortunately I can't link directly as they use frames on their site(frames _still_ suck!).

Have fun,

Martin


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:18.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0