Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02.05.2007, 18:06
Posts: n/a
Non-resident wants own vehicle

Hello all. Great little forum you have here.

Iím an EU citizen though Iím not officially resident in any EU country, having lived in Asia for many years. I work for a Swiss company, though I am located in one of their offices overseas. I am in Switzerland several times a year and sometimes for a few months at a time, but I will not be applying for any work or resident permits just yet.
I would very much like to buy a motorcycle for touring here but I see from searching around here that I cannot register a vehicle in Switzerland without a resident permit. It would be nice to have a bike here at my disposal when I visit. I could leave it with a gearhead colleague with a large garage.
What options do I have? Renting seems to be very expensive, like CHF300 a weekend for a liter bike. Does any do long-term rents at better rates than this? One shop I spoke to were willing to rent to me for a price about the annual depreciation on the bike per month.
How about buying a bike in a nearby EU country (like Germany) and riding it here on those plates? I could buy insurance at border I think. Is there a time limit as to how long I could have a foreign vehicle in the country? Would it be a problem if I rode in on it and then flew out without it?

Cliffnotes: Want to own motorcycle, donít have resident permit. What to do?
Reply With Quote
Old 02.05.2007, 23:21
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LUZERN
Posts: 130
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
ynot has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-resident wants own vehicle

Buy the bike and have it registered in your mates name , and you pay him for the taxes etc.

Any fines are down to him if your caught.

And if your contolled by the police, just say your mate lent you the bike while you are here.
Reply With Quote
Old 28.05.2007, 16:27
Posts: n/a
Re: Non-resident wants own vehicle

I found that even if you (as a non-resident) cannot take out an insurance policy yourself, you can be named as the usual driver of a vehicle. So, you can have your local friend take out a policy for himself and include you on it.
I just carry the original registration document with me and a copy of the insurance around with me.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for garage nr Vevey to do vehicle check on an Audi Millsy Transportation/driving 0 11.04.2007 11:31
New resident Linda Introductions 2 20.02.2007 10:58
Change resident canton (non-EU) Volpone Permits/visas/government 4 11.12.2006 09:06
Vehicle insurance - please help wannabe+ Insurance 4 22.11.2006 11:23

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0