Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.01.2010, 09:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MaZo has annoyed a few people around hereMaZo has annoyed a few people around here
Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Got caught in the tram a few times for not having a ticket.
I always have money on me, and am more than willing to pay for a ticket, but 95% of these damn ZVV machines only take coins. And I'm not always in the position to change before getting on the tram (e.g. when running to catch one, late at night, etc).

So the last fine I received was CHF 200. Fine, my own dumb fault, so I paid. But now I received a letter from the police with a silly questionnaire (why didn't I have a ticket, if and when I have paid the fine, etc). Guess I got charged.

Anyone who knows what could possibly happen?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.01.2010, 09:48
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,367
Groaned at 97 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
Anyone who knows what could possibly happen?
You'll start buying a pass so you don't have to 'worry' about having pocket change?

Last edited by phdoofus; 23.01.2010 at 10:02.
Reply With Quote
The following 15 users would like to thank phdoofus for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.01.2010, 10:01
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 11,933
Groaned at 182 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 17,146 Times in 6,970 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

At 200CHF fine, it'd probably be worth it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.01.2010, 10:06
Rangatiranui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Baden region
Posts: 2,162
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,068 Posts
Rangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

You can get lots of different types of tickets that dont require coins-
You could get a multi-ticket, which you have to stamp before you get on - but if you dont have time while running, you can write the date and time on it.
You can buy monthly and annual passes.
The website is even in English(!)
I know you can buy them at the Main train station, can you also get them at Kiosks?
http://www.zvv.ch/en/tickets/tickets-and-prices/

Swiss make it very easy to pay...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.01.2010, 10:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
Got caught in the tram a few times for not having a ticket.
I always have money on me, and am more than willing to pay for a ticket, but 95% of these damn ZVV machines only take coins. And I'm not always in the position to change before getting on the tram (e.g. when running to catch one, late at night, etc).

So the last fine I received was CHF 200. Fine, my own dumb fault, so I paid. But now I received a letter from the police with a silly questionnaire (why didn't I have a ticket, if and when I have paid the fine, etc). Guess I got charged.

Anyone who knows what could possibly happen?
Have one of those "mehrfahrtenkarten" (sp?) in your wallet so if you don't have the right coins in your pocket you can quickly stamp that at the tram stop before you jump on the tram. You can get them from any of the ZVV ticket offices and probably elsewhere.

Sometimes it's not worth it to buy the whole annual abonnement if you only use the tram occasionally but with the multi-use ticket you only pay for what you use.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.01.2010, 10:06
17clarence's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 803
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 965 Times in 440 Posts
17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute17clarence has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Sounds like the 'dummkopf' assessment, ie: are you a retard?

To get caught once or twice is pretty bad as the chances of getting stopped are minimal, maybe once or twice a year. To get 'a few' fines means you're an habitiual offender who never buys a ticket, and now they know your face, so you will be a marked man.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank 17clarence for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.01.2010, 10:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MaZo has annoyed a few people around hereMaZo has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like the 'dummkopf' assessment, ie: are you a retard?

To get caught once or twice is pretty bad as the chances of getting stopped are minimal, maybe once or twice a year. To get 'a few' fines means you're an habitiual offender who never buys a ticket, and now they know your face, so you will be a marked man.
You are wrong here. I live in the middle of the city, and therefore don't even use the tram a lot, but still have seen them checking tickets at least 10 times a year.

Furthermore, I have always been wondering what the "stamp card" is. I was looking for such a thing as I'm not traveling by ZVV enough to make it worth it (yes, I know, the CHF 200 fine might). Couldn't find much about it at the ZVV website either, but I guess I overlooked it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.01.2010, 10:31
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,526
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
You are wrong here. I live in the middle of the city, and therefore don't even use the tram a lot, but still have seen them checking tickets at least 10 times a year.

Furthermore, I have always been wondering what the "stamp card" is. I was looking for such a thing as I'm not traveling by ZVV enough to make it worth it (yes, I know, the CHF 200 fine might). Couldn't find much about it at the ZVV website either, but I guess I overlooked it.
According to your profile you speak German. When I lived in Zurich, most inhabitants spoke German. Ever had the notion of asking locals how to avoid such awkward situations? They would have told you about Mehrfahrtenkarten and the like. When in Zurich, do as the Zurchers do.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 23.01.2010, 10:39
Angela-74's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kanton Neuchatel
Posts: 5,740
Groaned at 106 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 5,665 Times in 2,772 Posts
Angela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

I think (IMHO) that your are looking at this the wrong way. You might be an honest citizen but it you keep doing this you are going to look bad and you don't seem to be very interested in finding about your options of paying for transport.
I don't know about the city where you live but in Basel more than 90% of machines will take also debit cards and even credit cards so not always coins only. Your best bet if you do not use transport too much get one of those 6/7 trip cards you pay 19 CHF if it is for two zones and problem solved otherwise an abo is the answer. For 67 a month (670 a year) CHF in Basel you can travel all over the Kanton for a month (even train fares).

Good luck!
__________________
meh
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.01.2010, 10:44
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,230
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

If you've now had a 200CHF fine you've either been extremely unlucky in the number of times you've been caught (not that I'm advocating schwarzfahren in any way), or you use the trams a lot more than you think you do. I suspect the latter. Also IME if you use the trams later in the evening you have more chance of a ticket check.

With a 200CHF fine you are now a marked person - you could well be up in front of a judge if you get caught again.

If you always have money on you, and you can always pay the fine then you can easily afford a years pass for Zürich. It costs 693CHF (see here, you need a 1-2 zone for Zürich), and given that you must have already paid at least 550* in fines, it would seem it would make sense. I don't think a Mehrfahrten card would work for as you sound like a chancer, and would probably risk not stamping it if you were running for the tram.

*fines calculated with an assumption of 80+120+150+200

It's a pay as you go service, not a pay as you get caught service.
__________________
...allegedly.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Slaphead for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MaZo has annoyed a few people around hereMaZo has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
I think (IMHO) that your are looking at this the wrong way. You might be an honest citizen but it you keep doing this you are going to look bad and you don't seem to be very interested in finding about your options of paying for transport.
I don't know about the city where you live but in Basel more than 90% of machines will take also debit cards and even credit cards so not always coins only. Your best bet if you do not use transport too much get one of those 6/7 trip cards you pay 19 CHF if it is for two zones and problem solved otherwise an abo is the answer. For 67 a month (670 a year) CHF in Basel you can travel all over the Kanton for a month (even train fares).

Good luck!
Unfortunately, not in Zurich. Coins are all the damn things take. Apart from the few that are placed at major stops (e.g. Bellevue).
I agree, I take the risk and take full responsibility. And I'm not here looking for people to repeat how dumb it is. I already know.

I don't care about being registered. I know, the Swiss like rules, but I'm not a criminal and pay more tax than the average Joe.
Again, I don't blame the system, but getting treated like a criminal for a minor offense like this is a joke (one gets registered for a duration of two years, even when getting caught for the first time).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at MaZo for this post:
  #12  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:06
Nickers's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,735
Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

simples - get an iphone (or other device that has the SBB app available) then you can register with a credit card and buy your tickets via your phone

Very handy when you have no coins or time to stop at a ticket machine
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nickers for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MaZo has annoyed a few people around hereMaZo has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
simples - get an iphone (or other device that has the SBB app available) then you can register with a credit card and buy your tickets via your phone

Very handy when you have no coins or time to stop at a ticket machine
We're talking about the ZVV transportation here. I always buy my train tickets, as these machines do accept bills, cards, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:14
Slaphead's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,230
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,408 Times in 2,870 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
I don't care about being registered. I know, the Swiss like rules, but I'm not a criminal and pay more tax than the average Joe.
Again, I don't blame the system, but getting treated like a criminal for a minor offense like this is a joke (one gets registered for a duration of two years, even when getting caught for the first time).
Hang on a minute, what the hell has paying "more tax than the average joe" got to do with it. Would you walk into a shop and take something without paying for it just because you pay tax?

As for the criminal bit, well that is indeed what you are. You've effectively stolen from the ZVV on multiple occasions. If I'm allowed to use the shop analogy again, you'd expect to be prosecuted if you were caught shoplifting wouldn't you?

I dunno, some people eh.
Reply With Quote
The following 16 users would like to thank Slaphead for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 11 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MaZo has annoyed a few people around hereMaZo has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Haha, predictable answer, you got carried away by that one.

As said, I'm not here to hear what I should have done, or should do next time. I know what I did wrong. I'm hear to ask for experiences.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at MaZo for this post:
  #16  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:23
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,846
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,556 Times in 1,670 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Ok here is my experience:

I used to have a monthly pass until i got a car and is not worth it anymore. On the few occasions i need to take a bus i make sure i always have the correct change to buy a ticket. Got checked loads of times never a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:26
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,006
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,799 Times in 2,050 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

You probably pay more taxes than the average Joe because you earn more, that makes it even worse that you continue to use public transport without paying. No freebies here, cough up like the rest of us.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Oldhand for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:34
Angela-74's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kanton Neuchatel
Posts: 5,740
Groaned at 106 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 5,665 Times in 2,772 Posts
Angela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post

I don't care about being registered. I know, the Swiss like rules, but I'm not a criminal and pay more tax than the average Joe.
Again, I don't blame the system, but getting treated like a criminal for a minor offense like this is a joke (one gets registered for a duration of two years, even when getting caught for the first time).
I am not accusing you of being a criminal but you are a repeat offender, the fact that you pay more taxes is completely irrelevant, or are rich people allowed minor offenses because they pay more taxes? Here you are trying to excuse yourself and that is the wrong attitude.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Angela-74 for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:44
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
Haha, predictable answer, you got carried away by that one.

As said, I'm not here to hear what I should have done, or should do next time. I know what I did wrong. I'm hear to ask for experiences.
You are likely among the elite 0.0001% of the population that would have had such a unique experience, so you won't hear too many suitably qualified responses to your query
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 23.01.2010, 11:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Charged for fare dodging - what's next?

Quote:
View Post
Haha, predictable answer, you got carried away by that one.

As said, I'm not here to hear what I should have done, or should do next time. I know what I did wrong. I'm here to ask for experiences.
How are other peoples experiences going to help you?

I went a couple of stops over the limit of my travel pass a few months ago - my fault, I wasn't concentrating. Conductor got on, issued me with a ticket, I had to pay.

Moral of the tale? Keep an eye on the zone you are in and pay accordingly or risk a fine and feel like a twonk because the rest of the passengers see it as a spectator sport (which is actually worse than the 80 CHF fine ).

Yes, I pay my taxes but I don't expect a free ride on the local public transport as a pat on the back.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
troll




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
repair costs charged to tenant? donovaan Housing in general 10 15.01.2013 23:24
Excessive rate charged by electrician deplanck Complaints corner 54 20.01.2012 17:17
Banker fined CHF18,000 for Fare Dodging on Train The_Love_Doctor Swiss politics/news 15 12.01.2010 15:15
Interest charged on underpayment of tax Tanya Finance/banking/taxation 10 16.05.2009 02:29
Over charged Apotheke/Pharmacy! kamka Family matters/health 15 14.02.2009 17:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0