Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,040
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,143 Times in 630 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
Oooh, just remembered. My first boyfriend owned a frog-eyed Sprite in British Racing Green. The door handle was a piece of string ... but I loved it. An ex of mine also owned a black Ferrari Boxer which was extremely difficult to drive as I think the gears were on the right-hand side (?) - the same guy now owns several Messerschmitt's, including one covered in snakeskin. And yes, he is a bit eccentric ... (he also owns an amphi-car)
Just proves that you agree with me with regard to classic cars; note how you were savvy enough to know taking guys seriously with an interest in classic cars was a no-no
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:10
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
Just proves that you agree with me with regard to classic cars; note how you were savvy enough to know taking guys seriously with an interest in classic cars was a no-no
Ummm, did I say that? Just because I didn't marry them doesn't mean that I didn't take them seriously
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,040
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,143 Times in 630 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
Ummm, did I say that? Just because I didn't marry them doesn't mean that I didn't take them seriously
Oh sorry; our definitions of SERIOUSLY are obviously far apart.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:14
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,824
Groaned at 38 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 7,167 Times in 2,328 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

I used to prefer European classic cars, but as I get older I find that I'm more attracted to American classics. Classic Italian and English sportscars look the part, but they're hopelessly unreliable and cost an absolute fortune to look after. American classic cars may be a little less stylish (a question of personal taste and opinion), but they're inexpensive and straightforward to maintain, with good parts availability.

Having owned a fair number of classic cars, my ownership experience means that I'll only own American classics until my pockets are Daddy Warbucks rich.

My Corvette was fun, but it was so loud that you could only drive it about 30 minutes before you had a splitting headache. It was a little bit like sleeping with a supermodel: it looked gorgeous, but the reality is pointy bones everywhere!

So my next classic is, in my eyes, one of the nicest looking American coupes of all time: 1964 Buick Riviera



Plenty of good ones in the States, and I've shipped cars before so that's no problem. I just need to understand the paperwork requirements and what needs to be done to get it through an MFK, and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Well, almost.

Need to convince the wife, too.

Suddenly, the MFK seems like a walk in the park!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:15
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 772
Groaned at 69 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 348 Posts
flavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputationflavio has an excellent reputation
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Used to have a Camaro 350 SS 1968



and a Volvo PV 544



and a Volvo 210, with wooden floor!



and a 1959 Austin Princess Limo that almost drove me to bankruptcy



and a heavily modified purple 1969 VW Beetle (which is not this one)



With the right pockets, I'll go for the facel vega HK 500

__________________
From the dark horizon of my future a sort of slow, persistent breeze had been blowing toward me, all my life long, from the years that were to come.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank flavio for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Turicum
Posts: 1,236
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 905 Times in 446 Posts
Yokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

I have a 1960 Triumph Thunderbird motorbike bike in Australia, so I'm sympathetic, but...... as much as I love looking at these old cars, I'll let someone else have the grief of owning them. Plus I've lived in houses that looked like car yards before, so from now on it will be one newish reliable car for me.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Yokine for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
I have a 1960 Triumph Thunderbird motorbike bike in Australia, so I'm sympathetic, but...... as much as I love looking at these old cars, I'll let someone else have the grief of owning them. Plus I've lived in houses that looked like car yards before, so from now on it will be one newish reliable car for me.
I was waiting for someone to post a classic bike. I never owned one myself -- I have an unwrîtten rule that I don't want to deal with someone else's problems when I have only two wheels in contact with the bitumen, so all my bikes have been new. And all but one of them have been Triumphs.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:45
Tom73's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KnonauerAmt
Posts: 401
Groaned at 63 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 81 Posts
Tom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthy
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

For those who don`t like driving petrol guzzlers. (Brütsch Mopetta)


Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:45
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,474
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
For those who don`t like driving a petrol guzzler. (Brütsch Mopetta)
..now was that really necessary?!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Turicum
Posts: 1,236
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 905 Times in 446 Posts
Yokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond reputeYokine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to post a classic bike. I never owned one myself -- I have an unwrîtten rule that I don't want to deal with someone else's problems when I have only two wheels in contact with the bitumen, so all my bikes have been new. And all but one of them have been Triumphs.
Well, as long as you keep the brakes in order, generally the old British bikes just go silent and you coast to a stop (too often). Just don't ride at night, "Lucas, Prince of Darkness".
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:50
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,824
Groaned at 38 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 7,167 Times in 2,328 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
For those who don`t like driving a petrol guzzler. (Brütsch Mopetta)
I'm guessin' this guy didn't get much action from the ladies. Just as well it's a single-seater.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 19.04.2010, 12:54
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
I'm guessin' this guy didn't get much action from the ladies. Just as well it's a single-seater.
au contraire. He'd be top of my list!!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 19.04.2010, 13:00
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,474
Groaned at 655 Times in 417 Posts
Thanked 16,388 Times in 6,379 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
au contraire. He'd be top of my list!!
oh come on Nicola..it looks like some little boy riding his little pedal rocket.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 19.04.2010, 13:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
Well, as long as you keep the brakes in order, generally the old British bikes just go silent and you coast to a stop (too often). Just don't ride at night, "Lucas, Prince of Darkness".
Sadly, Lucas infiltrated the world of British sports cars, too. Many a time I experienced a temporary blackout when I least expected it (I assume it was some sort of carry-over from the Blitz). The worst of these was in the MG Midget; the lights (both of them, so to be fair it was probably an electical issue) went out when I was cruising along on an unfamiliar road. They never came back on, because a tree intervened and remodelled the grille, bonnet and most of the engine.

By the way, I never had a single problem with any of the Triumph bikes, apart from a shredded rear tyre which I can hardly blame on Triumph.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 19.04.2010, 13:18
KarlHungus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
I used to prefer European classic cars, but as I get older I find that I'm more attracted to American classics. Classic Italian and English sportscars look the part, but they're hopelessly unreliable and cost an absolute fortune to look after. American classic cars may be a little less stylish (a question of personal taste and opinion), but they're inexpensive and straightforward to maintain, with good parts availability.

Having owned a fair number of classic cars, my ownership experience means that I'll only own American classics until my pockets are Daddy Warbucks rich.

My Corvette was fun, but it was so loud that you could only drive it about 30 minutes before you had a splitting headache. It was a little bit like sleeping with a supermodel: it looked gorgeous, but the reality is pointy bones everywhere!

So my next classic is, in my eyes, one of the nicest looking American coupes of all time: 1964 Buick Riviera


Plenty of good ones in the States, and I've shipped cars before so that's no problem. I just need to understand the paperwork requirements and what needs to be done to get it through an MFK, and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Well, almost.

Need to convince the wife, too.

Suddenly, the MFK seems like a walk in the park!

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I really want to know what it would take to import a 1970 car to CH - Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 19.04.2010, 13:24
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,824
Groaned at 38 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 7,167 Times in 2,328 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this question? I really want to know what it would take to import a 1970 car to CH - Thanks
Sorry, I have no idea how to convince the wife.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 19.04.2010, 13:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,040
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,143 Times in 630 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
au contraire. He'd be top of my list!!


I think it is his helmet she is into.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 19.04.2010, 13:31
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
oh come on Nicola..it looks like some little boy riding his little pedal rocket.
Quote:
View Post
I think it is his helmet she is into.
Now please don't read anything into this as I have a reputation to uphold but I have always had a thing about both rockets and helmets ...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 19.04.2010, 13:38
KarlHungus
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, I have no idea how to convince the wife.
What paperwork... not the wife. Everyone knows each wife is unique!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 19.04.2010, 13:39
Tom73's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KnonauerAmt
Posts: 401
Groaned at 63 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 81 Posts
Tom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthy
Re: Oldtimers [classic cars]

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this question? I really want to know what it would take to import a 1970 car to CH - Thanks
You will have to find out about the regulation and asking custom and vehicle registration office by your self. Rules about this change often and maybe people who went through the hassle will not want to help strangers because they did not get any help either.

Make sure you can get your classic car on the road, perhaps there are many cars which don`t fulfill the swiss compliance and require very expensive modifikation.

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/countrie...toregister.asp
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic Novels chardie18 General off-topic 15 01.04.2009 10:24
Classic cars garage around Oberrieden Shorrick Mk2 Transportation/driving 25 18.08.2008 18:35
Classic cars outings bereng Transportation/driving 0 20.07.2008 22:32
Anyone with an interest in Classic cars? stuartq Transportation/driving 16 31.05.2008 19:38
Classic cars in Lugano area? Dutchie Introductions 4 04.02.2008 16:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0