Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.05.2010, 23:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Argau
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KHL28 has no particular reputation at present
Car accident

I have had yesterday a very unfortunate accident while driving a rental car . Fortunately no one was hurt, and everybody was safe, but both our cars were damaged in front. I have never involved in an accident before and my driving was always fine. But I am new in Switzerland and that certainly has contributed. I won't drive anymore here, I am sort of traumatized by the accident. The police concluded that it was my fault as I failed to see the driver coming who has the right of way. When signing a paper, I have refused to accept the verdict of the police officer because I don't really know the consequences of admitting to something without having legal consultation, and that is what i explained to him. I have not asked yet for professional help, but I am here to get some advice about how to handle the situation. The rental car is insured with a franchise of $3000 that I have to pay. I am not worried about money, but more about the process and other consequences.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.05.2010, 23:29
miss_bean's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 514
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 460 Times in 221 Posts
miss_bean has an excellent reputationmiss_bean has an excellent reputationmiss_bean has an excellent reputationmiss_bean has an excellent reputation
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
I have had yesterday a very unfortunate accident while driving a rental car . Fortunately no one was hurt, and everybody was safe, but both our cars were damaged in front. I have never involved in an accident before and my driving was always fine. But I am new in Switzerland and that certainly has contributed. I won't drive anymore here, I am sort of traumatized by the accident. The police concluded that it was my fault as I failed to see the driver coming who has the right of way. When signing a paper, I have refused to accept the verdict of the police officer because I don't really know the consequences of admitting to something without having legal consultation, and that is what i explained to him. I have not asked yet for professional help, but I am here to get some advice about how to handle the situation. The rental car is insured with a franchise of $3000 that I have to pay. I am not worried about money, but more about the process and other consequences.
very sorry to hear about it.Glad that you all are fine and safe.

Car crash..what to do.....????

I found this could help.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12.05.2010, 23:38
ticino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 853
Groaned at 37 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 386 Times in 219 Posts
ticino has earned some respectticino has earned some respect
Re: Car accident

CH is the only country I know where - after an accident like the one you just described - you will be fined and will likely lose your license for some time. Expect 1-3 months and a fine of >1000. Welcome to the insane world of CH.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13.05.2010, 00:40
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Car accident

Wow you poor thing. I know that has to be a scary thing to go through as far as the paperwork and legal issues. Good luck to you. I witnessed a car accident not too long ago involving 3 cars they all rear ended each other when the first car stopped suddenly and the car behind hit him and the car behind that one hit that car. No one was hurt but their bumpers and front got pretty messed up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13.05.2010, 00:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,900
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car accident

good thing you did not admit fault, never do it even if it is your fault....

let insurance deal with it. That why you got the insurance. It being a rental I doubt you will hear much about it besides the bill offcourse....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13.05.2010, 13:50
digg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: Car accident

I wouldn't worry about it. That's why there's insurance. Just learn from the mistake/how road priorities work here. Driving here isn't that bad here once you're used to it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13.05.2010, 14:20
SimonHicken's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 136
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 143 Times in 56 Posts
SimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputationSimonHicken has an excellent reputation
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
good thing you did not admit fault, never do it even if it is your fault....

let insurance deal with it. That why you got the insurance. It being a rental I doubt you will hear much about it besides the bill offcourse....
I'm sorry but I find that absoloutely disgusting, if it's your fault, it's your fault, I had a motorcycle accident which left me in hospital, totaled my bike (which was my only form of transport) and left me out of work for a month. because an idiot wasn't looking and didn't see me coming then declined responsability, it took 1 year to sort it out. In the mean time I had to pay out of my own pocket to get money for my bike back from the insurance. All because selfish people like you refuse responsability.

To the OP really sorry to hear about this, but don't stop driving, the best thing is to keep driving, I will always be grateful to my father who forced me to get behind the wheel after my first accident. Good luck!

On the other hand if your not sure it's your fault don't accept responsability, but if you know it's your fault then accept.

Last edited by SimonHicken; 13.05.2010 at 14:23. Reason: added a little extra
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank SimonHicken for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 13.05.2010, 14:45
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 878
Groaned at 33 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
I have had yesterday a very unfortunate accident while driving a rental car . Fortunately no one was hurt, and everybody was safe, but both our cars were damaged in front. I have never involved in an accident before and my driving was always fine. But I am new in Switzerland and that certainly has contributed. I won't drive anymore here, I am sort of traumatized by the accident. The police concluded that it was my fault as I failed to see the driver coming who has the right of way. When signing a paper, I have refused to accept the verdict of the police officer because I don't really know the consequences of admitting to something without having legal consultation, and that is what i explained to him. I have not asked yet for professional help, but I am here to get some advice about how to handle the situation. The rental car is insured with a franchise of $3000 that I have to pay. I am not worried about money, but more about the process and other consequences.
My understanding is that if no one was hurt then there will be a fight amongst the Insurers as to which company pays up. On rare occasions the police may decide to send a report to the Prosecutions office who may or may not proceed with legal action.

My understanding is that is there was no negligence involved you would be very unlucky to be fine. This after all was an accident and as you say no one was hurt. The police can decide what they like they are not responsible for prosecutions in Switzerland. Again my view is that the Prosecutor will give an option as to a fine based on the evidence that he has before him or you can have the option to appeal his decision.

These things happen, don't worry too much about it and just be happy that everyone walked away from it.
__________________
My stuff being sold
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.05.2010, 14:48
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,045
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,560 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
I'm sorry but I find that absoloutely disgusting, if it's your fault, it's your fault,
I value your sentiment and honesty bud, too few people stand up for their actions in this day and age of lawyers trying to get rich on peoples' troubles and agonies. I hope that we're not headed the way of the US or the UK with regards to denials and the best attorneys winning cases for rich clients.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13.05.2010, 14:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Argau
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KHL28 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car accident

Thanks everyone for your comments and kind words. Few mentioned a bill from police, could anyone give any estimates based on experience or word of mouth?


Quote:
View Post
On the other hand if your not sure it's your fault don't accept responsability, but if you know it's your fault then accept.
I an not so sure if it is my fault, it may well be mine, but I am not %100 sure. I cannot just sign a police paper in German which I don't understand, and in a country that I have no prior experience in, and in a state of shock, all to blame myself. I am sorry for you and the receiving driver, but I think it is normal to be cautious. I would rather pay from my pocket (if it is a small bill of <4000 CFH) and get over with this as quickly as possible than let it drain my energy and time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13.05.2010, 14:53
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,151
Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 9,770 Times in 4,115 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
CH is the only country I know where - after an accident like the one you just described - you will be fined and will likely lose your license for some time. Expect 1-3 months and a fine of >1000. Welcome to the insane world of CH.
Actually, I don't agree. I caused an accident last August. A three car pile up. In the process I wrote off my car and the one in front. The first car got off lightly with minor damage.

It was 100% my fault. Luckily no one was seriously injured. I got fined, and rightly so, but no loss of licence. (EDIT: Saw your update post: bills & fines were in the order of 1,400 CHF, split 50/50 between Baselstadt and Baselland, as the accident was in BL, but I live in BS).

Quote:
View Post
good thing you did not admit fault, never do it even if it is your fault....

let insurance deal with it. That why you got the insurance. It being a rental I doubt you will hear much about it besides the bill offcourse....
I'm with SimonHicken. You have insurance. If it is your fault, your insurance should still cover you. Accidents happen, that's what you have insurance for and unless you were drunk or speeding, then usually you are covered even if it is your fault.

The only thing, I guess, is that people do try to take advantage of such situations to get something for free, but that's life.

To the OP: your insurance company may or may not be the best place to ask for advice as they will not be impartial. Are you a member of the TCS? In which case I believe that they offer a first consultation for free. If you don't have their legal insurance cover - obviously if you do have their legal cover, I'm guessing you wouldn't be here!
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.11.2011, 16:11
Bookworm's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: near Muri AG
Posts: 182
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 79 Posts
Bookworm has earned some respectBookworm has earned some respect
Re: Car accident

Can anyone recommend an insurance person to ask about a small accident? I'd like to speak to someone in English. It was not a collision, just our car hitting the garage door at our rental house.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.11.2011, 16:55
cran's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 608
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 635 Times in 264 Posts
cran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputationcran has an excellent reputation
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
Can anyone recommend an insurance person to ask about a small accident? I'd like to speak to someone in English. It was not a collision, just our car hitting the garage door at our rental house.
Why not just get the car and the door fixed yourself?

You don't have to involve insurance company, and unless it's a big bill for thousands you're better off not involving them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.11.2011, 17:28
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 3,009
Groaned at 42 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
Can anyone recommend an insurance person to ask about a small accident?
ahhhh........hmmmmmm
Talk to "your own" insurance company.


Find the policy number of your insurance and the contact number.

First ask if you are covered for such things, and then what the applicable excess (or franchise or deductible) is.


Quote:
View Post
Why not just get the car and the door fixed yourself?
.
Completely agree.

Chances are, the cost won't exceed the excess anyway (no claim), and the insurance company has a record of a claim.

I'd probably just get a quote from a panel beater to start with..... an insurance company will ask you to get a few anyway so you may as well get started on this.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car accident advice ozzziemum Daily life 3 14.04.2010 20:14
Car accident, insurance and garage... Enafi Transportation/driving 4 23.10.2009 11:32
Car accident form? Tom1234 Transportation/driving 2 16.07.2009 20:41
Witness to car accident markalex Transportation/driving 31 23.01.2009 15:01
Cable car accident at Wengen? cyrus Swiss politics/news 9 07.01.2008 16:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0