Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.09.2010, 11:00
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zuirch
Posts: 134
Groaned at 22 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 55 Times in 23 Posts
mahmed has no particular reputation at present
Buying Warranty

Just wanted to know if I buy a car privately, can I buy my own warranty? In the UK you could, but here it seems they will only do it if its a extension to a manufacturers or dealers exiting warranty.

Can anyone confirm, and if I am incorrect can you recommend anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.09.2010, 10:33
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zuirch
Posts: 134
Groaned at 22 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 55 Times in 23 Posts
mahmed has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying Warranty

anyone?......
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14.09.2010, 10:44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying Warranty

You can buy "warranty" but in general they are not worth it. Either they are just about affordable, but cover nothing if you bother to read the small print or they are so expensive it is cheaper for you to cover the risk yourself. That's all insurance is, paying somebody to take over the risk, which they do, with certain conditions.

Buy the car from a reputable dealer and you don't have this problem, if you try to be too cheap then you must expect what you pay for !
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.09.2010, 11:14
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,685
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,940 Times in 2,243 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Warranty

I disagree. While they are expensive, I have been delighted with mine. Unlike aftermarket warranties in the UK, which often dispute payouts, I've had no problem claiming for repairs against my current policy.

Here is more information and pricing: http://www.quality1.ch/de

I have 5* coverage, which covers most components on my car.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.09.2010, 11:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Buying Warranty

Quote:
View Post
I disagree. While they are expensive, I have been delighted with mine. Unlike aftermarket warranties in the UK, which often dispute payouts, I've had no problem claiming for repairs against my current policy.

Here is more information and pricing: http://www.quality1.ch/de

I have 5* coverage, which covers most components on my car.
And what does this cost, is it a percentage of the cars' value when new ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.09.2010, 11:43
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Warranty

Quote:
View Post
I disagree. While they are expensive, I have been delighted with mine. Unlike aftermarket warranties in the UK, which often dispute payouts, I've had no problem claiming for repairs against my current policy.

Here is more information and pricing: http://www.quality1.ch/de

I have 5* coverage, which covers most components on my car.
what work have they paid for and how old is the car?, how much was it and how much where the repairs?

as said before, warantee's arn't worth the paper they are written on, stick the money in a bank account and use that to fix your car. Usually warantees will make you keep a full dealer service history, they will exclude everything that is wear and tear and anything that fails because of somthing that is wear and tear, sure they will cover things like your engine block (as long as its not a desgin fault eg bmw's & Jags Nikasil problems) but how often does a cars engine block fail?? they will also only cure the actual fault eg head gasket failure, they'll fix the head gasket, but somthing made it fail in the first place (actually they probably wont fix HGF as iirc gaskets are excluded).

I paid A LOT of money for a total peace of mind warantee on a car in the uk, car went in for a service (it was only 18 months old) and the main dealer gave me a long list of faults, the warantee covered NONE of them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14.09.2010, 12:40
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zuirch
Posts: 134
Groaned at 22 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 55 Times in 23 Posts
mahmed has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying Warranty

Quote:
View Post
I disagree. While they are expensive, I have been delighted with mine. Unlike aftermarket warranties in the UK, which often dispute payouts, I've had no problem claiming for repairs against my current policy.

Here is more information and pricing: http://www.quality1.ch/de

I have 5* coverage, which covers most components on my car.
If you look at the site: http://www.quality1.ch/de/produkte-a...t-abschliessen

It seems like the only allow extensions and not a brand new one.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.09.2010, 14:53
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 280 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Warranty

On certain cars a warranty is a must.

I wouldn't touch an M-Car without one - especially the M5 or M6. Vanos repairs come in around 2k+ - and you don't want to be paying for a gearbox when (not if) they let go.

Warranties generally cover early failure of components - or failure of major components. For example, suspension failure on a car 2 years old would be a warranty claim - one on a 6 year old car is unlikely to be.

A brake disc cracking and breaking would likely be a warranty claim - simply wearing quickly is unlikely to be.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.09.2010, 06:25
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,685
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,940 Times in 2,243 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Warranty

Quote:
View Post
what work have they paid for and how old is the car?, how much was it and how much where the repairs?

as said before, warantee's arn't worth the paper they are written on, stick the money in a bank account and use that to fix your car. Usually warantees will make you keep a full dealer service history, they will exclude everything that is wear and tear and anything that fails because of somthing that is wear and tear, sure they will cover things like your engine block (as long as its not a desgin fault eg bmw's & Jags Nikasil problems) but how often does a cars engine block fail?? they will also only cure the actual fault eg head gasket failure, they'll fix the head gasket, but somthing made it fail in the first place (actually they probably wont fix HGF as iirc gaskets are excluded).
My car is a 5-year old Saab, with a full Saab service history. The warranty was included with the car, but I think would have cost about CHF700- if purchased separately. It's covered the following work:

Thermostat replacement
Head gasket replacement
Timing chain replacement
Throttle body

I don't have the exact amount each service cost, but it was all performed at a main dealer, and was more than CHF3000.-

For each incident, I had to pay the first CHF100.-. Labour was covered at 100%. Parts were covered at 50% (due to mileage of car). I think I paid about CHF1200.- of the bills, including excess, non-covered portion of parts, and fluids with the thermostat and head gasket repairs. The warranty company picking up the rest. But in any case, the warranty covered FAR more than the cost of the warranty in my case.

I was surprised that they covered the timing chain replacement, as I'd consider this a wear-and-tear item, but there was no debate at all. It hadn't failed -- the dealer noticed it was a little noisy, and suggested replacing it. Every time my dealer proposes a repair to the warranty company, they pay out without question. A very different experience than I had in the UK.

I wouldn't have bought the warranty if it hadn't been included in the price of the car, but now that I've used it, I'm glad I had it -- and I would buy it again if I bought another car of similar age (especially given the high cost of putting something right at a dealership in Switzerland).

Quote:
I paid A LOT of money for a total peace of mind warantee on a car in the uk, car went in for a service (it was only 18 months old) and the main dealer gave me a long list of faults, the warantee covered NONE of them.
This was my experience of aftermarket warranties in the UK. They always find an excuse for not covering something, and aren't worth the money. But I've had a totally different experience in Switzerland, which is why I recommended investigating the warranty.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used car warranty Dramaticpause Transportation/driving 4 04.05.2011 12:10
TV Warranty MAAH TV/internet/telephone 2 25.07.2010 18:33
Computer repair under warranty Natachika Complaints corner 2 12.04.2010 14:57
Lg tv warranty porsch1909 TV/internet/telephone 3 27.12.2009 00:20
Anyone know about the HP laptop warranty services? lol-man Other/general 3 14.08.2009 09:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0