Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Travel/day trips/free time  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.10.2011, 17:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
B&B in Vaud

I don't know if we are allowed to recommend a specific B&B on this forum, but this one is one of the loveliest, most welcoming we've ever stayed in in this country (where a few can be a bit functional and lacking charm). It's in Vaud and not too far from Lac de Joux, very convenient if you are attending the famous "desalpe" (big celebration of cattle coming down from the moutains) in Les Charbonnieres.

http://www.la-belle-saison.ch/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.10.2011, 22:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: B&B in Vaud

The area is lovely, and the B&B looks gorgeous. But wow- the prices are steeeep for a non resort/touristy area. Good luck to them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.10.2011, 22:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B&B in Vaud

Well, it was very steep for us but it was a birthday treat...then we only ate fondue and potatoes at home for the next 5 days!! But when you live in Geneva where a sandwich can make you CHF 9 lighter, nothing surprises us anymore!

Quote:
The area is lovely, and the B&B looks gorgeous. But wow- the prices are steeeep for a non resort/touristy area. Good luck to them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.10.2011, 23:56
tearley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne (Vaud)
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 409 Times in 190 Posts
tearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputationtearley has an excellent reputation
Re: B&B in Vaud

Looks gorgeous. Will keep it in mind! How was the festival?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tearley for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.10.2011, 01:04
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B&B in Vaud

It looks beautiful, but 60CHF extra for 2 people vs 1 person? What are they serving for breakfast steak? That's just silly pricing if you ask me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.10.2011, 10:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B&B in Vaud

Festival was very Swiss! Anything that moves (cows, sheep, donkeys, dogs...kids!) paraded down the hills, there were Alpine horns, flag throwers, bell ringers, Whip crackers, Vacherin Mont d'Or cheese stalls and wine all over, all in lovely setting. It looks like it's on every year towards mid, third week of September and Les Charbonnieres seems to be the place (they have their website).

Quote:
View Post
Looks gorgeous. Will keep it in mind! How was the festival?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank McTAVGE for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.10.2011, 10:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B&B in Vaud

I agree about the prices, but we have stayed in some B&Bs not that much cheaper and with dreadful decor or service. This was spot on, lots of nice extra touches (nice big bathrobes in bathrooms, luxury products, lovely fruit basket in bedrooms...). Breakfast was all locally made and if it did not serve steak, it had a lot of various smoked and cured meats, cheeses, homemade jams (divine!), bread, croissants, eggs, freshly squeezed apple or orange juices... As I said, it was a special treat and the memory of the place will remain as such.

Quote:
View Post
It looks beautiful, but 60CHF extra for 2 people vs 1 person? What are they serving for breakfast steak? That's just silly pricing if you ask me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.10.2011, 16:14
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B&B in Vaud

Quote:
View Post
I agree about the prices, but we have stayed in some B&Bs not that much cheaper and with dreadful decor or service. This was spot on, lots of nice extra touches (nice big bathrobes in bathrooms, luxury products, lovely fruit basket in bedrooms...). Breakfast was all locally made and if it did not serve steak, it had a lot of various smoked and cured meats, cheeses, homemade jams (divine!), bread, croissants, eggs, freshly squeezed apple or orange juices... As I said, it was a special treat and the memory of the place will remain as such.
I don't have a problem with the room prices per se. I have a problem with charging 60CHF extra per night for an additional person, for what? breakfast? There is nothing that you can say that can justify a 60CHF breakfast! lol.

It's like the hotel in Lugano that allowed dogs but charged 50CHF per day for the dog. Um, no. When people have silly pricing policies it turns me off.

Last edited by miniMia; 08.10.2011 at 16:24.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.10.2011, 16:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B&B in Vaud

Good point! Why don't you ask her?

Quote:
View Post
I don't have a problem with the room prices per se. I have a problem with charging 60CHF extra per night for an additional person, for what? breakfast? There is nothing that you can say that can justify a 60CHF breakfast! lol.

It's like the hotel in Lugano that allowed dogs but charged 50CHF per day for the dog. Um, no. When people have silly pricing policies it turns me off.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.10.2011, 16:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B&B in Vaud

And while we are on the topic of gorgeous, "definitely with a soul" type of breakfast (and yes, alas, quite pricey!), this is another one we tried last year. It's in Valais in superb, unspoilt village of Albinen, not far from Leukerbad. The owner and her daughter welcome you as if you were part of the family and the evening meal is a real treat of conviviality and pleasure for the tastebuds!

http://www.lademeuredeselfes.com/home-fr.html


Quote:
View Post
Good point! Why don't you ask her?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.10.2011, 16:57
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: B&B in Vaud

Quote:
View Post
Good point! Why don't you ask her?
Like I've said, I don't have a problem with the price of the room necessarily. It's the disconnect between 1 & 2 people staying in the room. It doesn't make sense to me.

Just like I don't expect people to ask me how I price my work, I wouldn't dream of asking them about their pricing strategy. That's up to them to decide and up to us to like it or leave it.


Quote:
View Post
And while we are on the topic of gorgeous, "definitely with a soul" type of breakfast (and yes, alas, quite pricey!), this is another one we tried last year. It's in Valais in superb, unspoilt village of Albinen, not far from Leukerbad. The owner and her daughter welcome you as if you were part of the family and the evening meal is a real treat of conviviality and pleasure for the tastebuds!

http://www.lademeuredeselfes.com/home-fr.html

Oh. That's lovely too! Can't wait to go home!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.10.2011, 23:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: B&B in Vaud

Of course it is normal for a double being more extensive than a double> It's not just breakfast, it is an extra bathrobe (those thick ones will need a wash on their own) and extra towels. At least they give a fair discount on a double - most hotels around here are much cheaper than this B@B, but a double is twice the price of a single.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bed and breakfast




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40% of Geneva & Vaud taxpayer almost exempted from tax MrVertigo Swiss politics/news 3 26.06.2011 12:53
Capital gains tax and inheritance laws in Geneva & Vaud jwren Finance/banking/taxation 1 14.01.2008 10:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0