Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Travel/day trips/free time  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.11.2011, 19:35
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich, Zumikon
Posts: 129
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 87 Times in 52 Posts
Canariesfan is considered knowledgeableCanariesfan is considered knowledgeableCanariesfan is considered knowledgeable
Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

I am looking at a flight ( because it is cheaper than the options of Manchester - Zurich) that the first flight lands in Basel from Manchester and the return starts with a train journey from Basel to Zurich and then a flight from Zurich to Manchester.

Now actually I live in Zurich so for the return journey , it would be much easier IF I did not take the train BUT will I be allowed to take the flight IF I have not been on the train : Is there any way they would know ?

Has anyone ever done this type of rail/fly ticket from Basel and comment on my question. I cannot believe with on line check in etc they can check this .
Also where do you check you luggage in for such a rail / plane variant ?
Thanks

Last edited by Canariesfan; 09.11.2011 at 19:35. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.11.2011, 19:36
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,200
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,323 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

I have done this. There is no problem with getting on your flight even if you have not taken the train. From recollection the tickets were separate.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ecb for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 09.11.2011, 19:38
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

Have a look at Swiss AirTrain
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09.11.2011, 19:41
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,200
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,323 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Have a look at Swiss AirTrain
Just read this .. so does not sound like anything I did or took! Seems like it may have changed ...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10.11.2011, 05:05
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Out in the Stick - Zug-ish
Posts: 86
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
snoopy1664 has earned some respectsnoopy1664 has earned some respect
Re: Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

Done Basel to London a few times in the past couple of months including trips that start or end with a train between Basel and Zurich, and I've skipped the train trip a few times in both directions.

Flying UK to Basel via Zurich you have to collect your luggage at Zurich before your board the train and vice versa.

Only thing to really watch out for, especially if you flying Basel to UK via Zurich is to make sure you've checked in online beforehand.

Quote:
View Post
I am looking at a flight ( because it is cheaper than the options of Manchester - Zurich) that the first flight lands in Basel from Manchester and the return starts with a train journey from Basel to Zurich and then a flight from Zurich to Manchester.

Now actually I live in Zurich so for the return journey , it would be much easier IF I did not take the train BUT will I be allowed to take the flight IF I have not been on the train : Is there any way they would know ?

Has anyone ever done this type of rail/fly ticket from Basel and comment on my question. I cannot believe with on line check in etc they can check this .
Also where do you check you luggage in for such a rail / plane variant ?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank snoopy1664 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 10.11.2011, 06:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
Just read this .. so does not sound like anything I did or took! Seems like it may have changed ...
It's still the same just the marketing is jazzed up. The check in office has always been there though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10.11.2011, 07:44
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Re: Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

To supplement Snoopy's reply, you don't check your luggage for the train, it's just like a normal train journey but the ticket's included in your airfare. Train ticket checking people scan the barcode, but I don't know if it's connected.

For anyone doing the full Zurich-Basel ongoing train part, the connections they give you aren't always the fastest - if you're prepared to change trains you can go a different route, I've done this without a problem (although no seat reservation, obv)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank planetali for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 10.11.2011, 08:41
ecb's Avatar
ecb ecb is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: out n about - it's summer!
Posts: 2,200
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,323 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

Quote:
View Post
To supplement Snoopy's reply, you don't check your luggage for the train, it's just like a normal train journey but the ticket's included in your airfare. Train ticket checking people scan the barcode, but I don't know if it's connected.

For anyone doing the full Zurich-Basel ongoing train part, the connections they give you aren't always the fastest - if you're prepared to change trains you can go a different route, I've done this without a problem (although no seat reservation, obv)
Now this is how I remember it. I didn't use the recommended train either as I wanted one that stopped in Olten so I could change to a local train to where I live .. all of which was no problem (and my ticket was checked and scanned).

PS on the way out, I didn't use the train at all, and again no problem at airport but had definitely checked in online before hand.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10.11.2011, 09:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Out in the Stick - Zug-ish
Posts: 86
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
snoopy1664 has earned some respectsnoopy1664 has earned some respect
Re: Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

Quote:
View Post
...IF I have not been on the train : Is there any way they would know ?...
I also researched this a few months back. Apparently at one time there was only specific Zürich airport - Basel rail station trains that you could use with the ticket. There they could check just by having ticket collectors always on those trains, but then they changed the system to allow you to use any trains, from then they lost the ability to ascertain whether you'd taken the train segment or not...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank snoopy1664 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 10.11.2011, 09:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Manchester - Basel on Swiss via Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I also researched this a few months back. Apparently at one time there was only specific Zürich airport - Basel rail station trains that you could use with the ticket. There they could check just by having ticket collectors always on those trains, but then they changed the system to allow you to use any trains, from then they lost the ability to ascertain whether you'd taken the train segment or not...
Correct. I live in Basel and fly often from Zürich, using the "Air Train". SWISS has no way of knowing whether you've used the train segment or not -- and the best bit is, you get Miles & More points for the train journey (whether you use it or not, since SWISS doesn't know) if the flight ticket as a whole is eligible for Miles & More points.

Baggage check-in and collection is done at Zürich Airport. As snoopy1664 said, if you do want to use the train segment, be sure to check in online BEFORE you travel from Basel and print your boarding passes or get them delivered to your phone -- otherwise you will have no train ticket and will be liable to a fine (I've seen it happen). There is almost always a ticket inspection on the Basel-Zürich HB or Basel-Zürich Flughafen trains.

And finally, as planetali commented, if you want to use the train, you don't have to use the Basel-Zürich Airport direct service. In fact, it's never the fastest option -- the non-stop train to Zürich HB, then appropriate connection to Zürich Flughafen, is always faster but involves a change.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manchester United match on tonight? zurich99 Daily life 12 30.03.2010 22:47
Swiss Zurich to Manchester 159 CHF return! oldmanc Travel/day trips/free time 0 23.12.2009 11:44
[Flights to Manchester] Swiss monopoly ScarletBea Travel/day trips/free time 17 17.11.2008 19:08
booking flights via mobil phone on Swiss aki Travel/day trips/free time 2 30.09.2008 17:14
Basel to Manchester via Zurich?? :-O rhythmical remedy Travel/day trips/free time 8 16.02.2008 10:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0