Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Travel/day trips/free time
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.03.2018, 10:18
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 109
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Dan M has earned some respectDan M has earned some respect
Interlaken with Kids

I am planning a trip later this spring to Interlaken this spring with our 6 and 8 year old daughters. The basic plan is as follows,

Day 1: Train from Geneva to Montreaux then take the Golden Pass scenic train from Montreaux to Interlaken. We will rent an AirBNB or equivalent in town.

Day 2: Take a train to Lauterbrunnen and then a bus the falls and caves at Trümmelbach

Day 3. Head back to Geneva.

I could use some advice for family friendly restaurants, bakeries, and other food sources in Interlaken and Llauterbrunnen. I can also use a light activity in Interlaken for late in the first day if the kids need to spend some energy after being in the train all day.

Thanks!

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.03.2018, 11:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 3,858
Groaned at 26 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 5,305 Times in 2,165 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Interlaken itself consists, from the tourist eye, of a narrow street lined with post-card stalls and over-priced restaurants. However, outside Interlaken is wonderful, which is why wour bus idea is very good.

Set back a little from that tourist street is a large, open sports field. If the wind conditions are right, it is used as a landing spot for parachutists (or was it deltas? or both? can't remember exactly). We spent a lovely picnic there once, munching away while watching them float down and land.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.03.2018, 12:13
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,243
Groaned at 372 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 16,928 Times in 6,973 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Quote:
View Post

I could use some advice for family friendly restaurants, bakeries, and other food sources in Interlaken and Llauterbrunnen. I can also use a light activity in Interlaken for late in the first day if the kids need to spend some energy after being in the train all day.
My three boys really enjoyed breakfast at Hooters, sitting outside overlooking the park.

It wasn't just the friendly and easy-on the-eyes staff but they could also watch all the paragliders come into land.

Despite it being a tourist destination, all the food shops in Interlaken seem to close incredibly early on a Saturday.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.03.2018, 12:49
martin959's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,090
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 522 Times in 286 Posts
martin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of manymartin959 has earned the respect of many
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Quote:
View Post
My three boys really enjoyed breakfast at Hooters, sitting outside overlooking the park.

It wasn't just the friendly and easy-on the-eyes staff but they could also watch all the paragliders come into land.

Despite it being a tourist destination, all the food shops in Interlaken seem to close incredibly early on a Saturday.


At Hooters?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.03.2018, 15:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 307
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 303 Times in 152 Posts
LuganoPirate has earned the respect of manyLuganoPirate has earned the respect of manyLuganoPirate has earned the respect of many
Re: Interlaken with Kids

If I went to hooters with my boys, none of us would be watching the paragliders I can assure you

Sorry I can't help further as I don't know the area that well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.03.2018, 15:55
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 11,690
Groaned at 105 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 20,391 Times in 7,850 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

There is a big swimming pool complex in Interlaken with both indoor and outdoor pools.

They also have a crazy golf course outside if the kids don't fancy a swim.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.03.2018, 21:44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 307
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 303 Times in 152 Posts
LuganoPirate has earned the respect of manyLuganoPirate has earned the respect of manyLuganoPirate has earned the respect of many
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Just recalled seeing this when I drive past. I think the boys will love it:

http://www.interlaken.ch/en/explore-jungfrau-park.html
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.03.2018, 12:05
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,243
Groaned at 372 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 16,928 Times in 6,973 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Quote:
View Post
Just recalled seeing this when I drive past. I think the boys will love it:

http://www.interlaken.ch/en/explore-jungfrau-park.html
That place gets incredibly bad reviews. I would avoid it if I were you.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 17.03.2018, 12:44
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,671
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,535 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Interlaken is just a tourist trap, a base point for other places.

however, the youth hostel is right next to the train station 'Interlaken Ost' - it's very new - plus the bonus is that they do basic meals and it's not expensive...and the other bonus is that it's kid-friendly.

But personally, I would go further to stay overnight in Wengen, Grindelwald or Mürren, then you will really be in the mountains.

My preference would be Mürren. There is a kids playground on the mountain above at 'Allmendhubel' or you can go from there down to the trummelbachfalls if you really want to... or if the weather is particularly nice, up to Schilthorn on the cablecar. You can go direct from Geneva to Mürren in one day, just pick the right connections...everything is linked...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.03.2018, 14:31
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,243
Groaned at 372 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 16,928 Times in 6,973 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Quote:
View Post
Day 2: Take a train to Lauterbrunnen and then a bus the falls and caves at Trümmelbach
It's a very pleasant, very easy flat walk with kids from Lauterbrunnen to Trümmelbach. From there you can get the bus back to Lauterbrunnen.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.03.2018, 18:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 3,858
Groaned at 26 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 5,305 Times in 2,165 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Grindelwald youth hostel is lovely!
https://www.google.ch/search?q=grind...ih=637&dpr=0.5
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 17.03.2018, 18:34
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,238
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,195 Times in 2,534 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Quote:
View Post
Interlaken is just a tourist trap, a base point for other places.

however, the youth hostel is right next to the train station 'Interlaken Ost' - it's very new - plus the bonus is that they do basic meals and it's not expensive...and the other bonus is that it's kid-friendly.

But personally, I would go further to stay overnight in Wengen, Grindelwald or Mürren, then you will really be in the mountains.

My preference would be Mürren. There is a kids playground on the mountain above at 'Allmendhubel' or you can go from there down to the trummelbachfalls if you really want to... or if the weather is particularly nice, up to Schilthorn on the cablecar. You can go direct from Geneva to Mürren in one day, just pick the right connections...everything is linked...
I agree that these other places may be more typically Swiss. I would still recommend Interlaken though as it is much more central and makes many more places easily accessible
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.03.2018, 19:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 307
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 303 Times in 152 Posts
LuganoPirate has earned the respect of manyLuganoPirate has earned the respect of manyLuganoPirate has earned the respect of many
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Quote:
View Post
That place gets incredibly bad reviews. I would avoid it if I were you.
Good to know thanks. As I said, I've only ever driven past the place.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LuganoPirate for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 18.03.2018, 19:17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 109
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Dan M has earned some respectDan M has earned some respect
Re: Interlaken with Kids

Quote:
View Post
Interlaken is just a tourist trap, a base point for other places.

however, the youth hostel is right next to the train station 'Interlaken Ost' - it's very new - plus the bonus is that they do basic meals and it's not expensive...and the other bonus is that it's kid-friendly.

But personally, I would go further to stay overnight in Wengen, Grindelwald or Mürren, then you will really be in the mountains.

My preference would be Mürren. There is a kids playground on the mountain above at 'Allmendhubel' or you can go from there down to the trummelbachfalls if you really want to... or if the weather is particularly nice, up to Schilthorn on the cablecar. You can go direct from Geneva to Mürren in one day, just pick the right connections...everything is linked...
I agree, Interlaken seems like nothing special. A convenient city along our route and nothing more. Murren looks fantastic and will make a better place to stay. Taking the lifts up and down the mountain will be a thrill all by itself for the girls. Now to find an AirBnB for the family to use...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18.03.2018, 19:29
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,671
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,535 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

We like to use the tourism service for the local town. They often know the best 'kid friendly' places to stay...
https://muerren.swiss/en/winter/

We did stay at the Pension Sonneberg....it was quite an adventure as you have to take a little funicular up and walk back down the mountain to get there, but it was very kid-friendly.. not convenient, though, for carrying luggage (but we knew that, and took our rucksacks)...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 19.03.2018, 10:22
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 670
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 758 Times in 342 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interlaken with Kids

At Interlaken Ost there is a large coop and at Interlaken West there is a large Migros so you should be covered for basics, the coop in Matten is also open on Sundays and the Ortsbus (104) drives past it.
In terms of bakeries if you look hard enough you will find them, there are two (Michel and Mohler) close to each other in Unterseen who take it in turns to open also on a Sunday and both have places to sit in for a coffee and a gipfeli.
Our Tagesmutter takes the kids quite regularly to Jungfraupark (a passable wet weather option) but they are younger than yours and as others have suggested the Bödelibad is good for rainy afternoons.
In terms of eating out I would recommend the Stadthaus, they don't seem to mind us dragging our 2 & 4 year old there, and prices are OK by swiss standards.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Homer for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interlaken with little children sunflower76 Travel/day trips/free time 11 07.01.2014 06:18
Ideas for Interlaken/Luzern with Toddler thefootballgirl Travel/day trips/free time 2 16.05.2013 11:47
Should parents of small kids (3 yo) stay with their kids in other kids birthday party msolis Daily life 9 16.05.2012 20:02
Live with children in Interlaken Bern Helenswe Housing in general 2 23.01.2012 07:51
Sale: Brand new Guide book - In & Around Zurich with Kids with Kids [Zurich] suzyzoo Items for sale 1 24.11.2011 19:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0