English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Travel/day trips/free time (https://www.englishforum.ch/travel-day-trips-free-time/)
-   -   ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses (https://www.englishforum.ch/travel-day-trips-free-time/292205-esta-application-umlauts-addresses.html)

aSwissInTheUS 27.05.2019 23:06

ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
:msnmad: What the heck. It is plain torture. :msnmad:

Q: How do I enter a town name like 4658 Dniken SO?

A: Daniken SO, plus in the province field also SO. Anything else will be reject as a invalid address/town.

Please be aware that they also check the street name against a database too! Not sure, but I think they use the database from Swiss Post: https://www.post.ch/en/pages/plz-suche

Blueangel 28.05.2019 00:33

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
It might help to use the full anglicised spelling: Daeniken and expand SO to Solothurn. It's frustrating, but just be glad you're not one of the nationalities that have 4 first names and 4 family names. ;)

aSwissInTheUS 13.07.2020 09:24

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueangel (Post 3071733)
It might help to use the full anglicised spelling: Daeniken and expand SO to Solothurn.

Sorry for this late reply: "Daeniken" does not work, neither does "Daniken Solothurn". As said in the inital post it must be "Daniken SO"

LuganoPirate 13.07.2020 09:43

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Use an ASCII key create the umlauts etc. For eg. ALT 156 gives the sign.

k_and_e 13.07.2020 09:46

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 3198578)
Sorry for this late reply: "Daeniken" does not work, neither does "Daniken Solothurn". As said in the inital post it must be "Daniken SO"


My understanding here is always that you should just remove the Umlauts. to ae, to oe and to ue are in use for German regions only.

Island Monkey 13.07.2020 09:47

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Normally I leave the spelling the same and just remove the umlauts & accents.

But when we applied for the Australian equivalent to the esta, I read the instructions they provided on accents, it said to enter your name as it is in the scannable bottom section of your passport page. Which for my husband had ae instead of .

aSwissInTheUS 13.07.2020 09:49

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuganoPirate (Post 3198587)
Use an ASCII key create the umlauts etc. For eg. ALT 156 gives the sign.

I think you do not get it. For sure I can type umlaut characters and many others as well (ALT + 0245 gives you ), that is not the problem.

The problem is what the ESTA application website considers as the one and only correct address. If it does not match that, you can not proceed with the application.

amogles 13.07.2020 11:16

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
In my experience ESTA is a bit inconsistent on these things so it may be down to trial and error.

Jim2007 13.07.2020 15:15

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3198590)
Normally I leave the spelling the same and just remove the umlauts & accents.

But when we applied for the Australian equivalent to the esta, I read the instructions they provided on accents, it said to enter your name as it is in the scannable bottom section of your passport page. Which for my husband had ae instead of .

This was the accepted way of doing it. It was much more common and well known, when I came here 30 years ago as most systems did support foreign characters.

amogles 13.07.2020 15:26

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim2007 (Post 3198746)
This was the accepted way of doing it. It was much more common and well known, when I came here 30 years ago as most systems did support foreign characters.

In fact in the computer readable strip on the passport that is how the name is transcribed, so if you ignore that and just leave off the diactric, you may end up with an inconsistent name. Which is also something the ESTA people don't like either.

MusicChick 13.07.2020 15:58

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3198751)
In fact in the computer readable strip on the passport that is how the name is transcribed, so if you ignore that and just leave off the diactric, you may end up with an inconsistent name. Which is also something the ESTA people don't like either.

diacritic/s :)

bowlie 13.07.2020 16:10

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
The first thing any immigration official is going to do is to scan that band and the system will look for matches, including with ESTA. Many passports now have a chip but that is still relatively slower (1 or 2 seconds) than the scan ban.

amogles 20.07.2020 12:00

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3198590)
Normally I leave the spelling the same and just remove the umlauts & accents.

But when we applied for the Australian equivalent to the esta, I read the instructions they provided on accents, it said to enter your name as it is in the scannable bottom section of your passport page. Which for my husband had ae instead of .

Not in the US or even in Australia but in Gatwick airport, where you might have expected them to know better, the OH had a stand off with a jobsworth of a check-in clerk who claimed the name on her passport did not match that on her ticket.

She had actually followed instructions and left the umlaut off her name, which meant that it was different from that in her passport where it was transcribed with oe. We very almost missed the flight because of it.

Since then she has ignored instructions and always used oe and never had any trouble.

So I think the moral here is to ignore those who say to just ignore umlauts and stick to the spelling as seen on your passport or ID.

Landers 21.07.2020 17:09

Re: ESTA Application - Umlauts and Addresses
 
My address has no umlauts but also not found by the ESTA system. I believe if you try and fail enough times it gives you the option to declare that the address given is correct i.e. you can get an ESTA without a recognised address.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0