Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Travel/day trips/free time  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.08.2021, 10:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Switzerland >30 years
Posts: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Old Git has annoyed a few people around hereThe Old Git has annoyed a few people around here
Travelling to the UK by car.

This is my first post so forgive me if it goes astray:
I am considering travelling to the UK by car in September. I will go via Germany and France (Eurotunnel or ferry). However I note that Switzerland, along with France are on the UK's amber list. Can someone please provide me in a clear and concise manner, no more 'click on this link, then click on that link' nonsense, what the requirements are. Just bullet points would do. We are fully vaccinated.
Thank you..
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank The Old Git for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at The Old Git for this post:
  #2  
Old 11.08.2021, 10:55
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,001
Groaned at 449 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 18,165 Times in 10,122 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but it's click and click to find what you need to know as it changes from week to week atm it seems.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-t...virus-covid-19

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...ber-list-rules
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 11.08.2021, 11:31
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,415
Groaned at 685 Times in 533 Posts
Thanked 26,566 Times in 10,709 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
Can someone please provide me in a clear and concise manner, no more 'click on this link, then click on that link' nonsense, what the requirements are. J
It's not nonsense - I'd rather someone point me in the direction of an official source of information then give a bullet-point list of what they think is correct.

Of course, bullet points with built-in hyperlinks to the source would be ideal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.08.2021, 11:43
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 180
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 51 Posts
HomesickAlready has earned the respect of manyHomesickAlready has earned the respect of manyHomesickAlready has earned the respect of many
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Pretty sure France is a no-go. It has a special status meaning that quarantine is still necessary.

I posted recently about this when considering if my parents could come across on the ferry.

Edit: the status has changed for France. You're fine to travel through.

Last edited by HomesickAlready; 11.08.2021 at 11:45. Reason: As above
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.08.2021, 11:49
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,791
Groaned at 386 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 13,266 Times in 4,549 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

The Eurotunnel website lays out clearly what is needed in both directions - but you'll have to click links. Stuffed if I'm doing it for you...

Last edited by AbFab; 11.08.2021 at 12:08.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 11.08.2021, 14:05
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Switzerland >30 years
Posts: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Old Git has annoyed a few people around hereThe Old Git has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Why not? - you took the time to read and reply....Nothing better to do?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at The Old Git for this post:
  #7  
Old 11.08.2021, 14:33
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 814
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 386 Times in 231 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

If you're vaccinated you need a test before entering the UK and then another test on day 2 of your stay
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11.08.2021, 14:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Switzerland >30 years
Posts: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Old Git has annoyed a few people around hereThe Old Git has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
The Eurotunnel website lays out clearly what is needed in both directions - but you'll have to click links. Stuffed if I'm doing it for you...
On 2nd thoughts, this forum was a mistake to join.

After a warm welcome from Medea Fleecestealer, AbFab - whoever the f*** she, probably a he, think's 'it' is - has tainted all others. What a shame - you are certainly no Joanna Lumley who is AbFab, nor even remotely as funny as Jennifer Saunders.

In small worlds live small minds.........Forum legend?????? More like a bored, middle aged housewife with nothing better to do
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.08.2021, 14:41
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Switzerland >30 years
Posts: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Old Git has annoyed a few people around hereThe Old Git has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
The Eurotunnel website lays out clearly what is needed in both directions - but you'll have to click links. Stuffed if I'm doing it for you...
Quote:
View Post
If you're vaccinated you need a test before entering the UK and then another test on day 2 of your stay
Thank you Enohzee for your polite response
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.08.2021, 14:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 814
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 386 Times in 231 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
On 2nd thoughts, this forum was a mistake to join.

After a warm welcome from Medea Fleecestealer, AbFab - whoever the f*** she, probably a he, think's 'it' is - has tainted all others. What a shame - you are certainly no Joanna Lumley who is AbFab, nor even remotely as funny as Jennifer Saunders.

In small worlds live small minds.........Forum legend?????? More like a bored, middle aged housewife with nothing better to do
Username checks out

Cheer up buddy
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11.08.2021, 14:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Switzerland >30 years
Posts: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Old Git has annoyed a few people around hereThe Old Git has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
Username checks out

Cheer up buddy
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The Old Git for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 11.08.2021, 15:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 336
Groaned at 146 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 319 Times in 164 Posts
CliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeable
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-li...nts-covid.html
Keep an eye on that thread - people are posting lots of helpful info on there, and adding new info each time they travel, too
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11.08.2021, 15:12
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,001
Groaned at 449 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 18,165 Times in 10,122 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
On 2nd thoughts, this forum was a mistake to join.

After a warm welcome from Medea Fleecestealer, AbFab - whoever the f*** she, probably a he, think's 'it' is - has tainted all others. What a shame - you are certainly no Joanna Lumley who is AbFab, nor even remotely as funny as Jennifer Saunders.

In small worlds live small minds.........Forum legend?????? More like a bored, middle aged housewife with nothing better to do
Who you seem to expect to do your research for you.

I get that it's frustrating and sometimes difficult to find the right info, but it's always best to go to the official websites; in this case www.gov.uk and https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...weigerung.html. After all, if this oldie can manage it I'm sure you can. And you can use this to check for Switzerland as well. More clicking though I'm afraid.

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 11.08.2021, 15:21
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,415
Groaned at 685 Times in 533 Posts
Thanked 26,566 Times in 10,709 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

It's nearly three weeks until September - a lot can happen as far as COVID restrictions are concerned in three weeks - they could go either way.

Any information given in bullet points as you requested is good for today only.

A link to a government site that gets updated with the current requirements is good for ever.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 11.08.2021, 15:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Switzerland >30 years
Posts: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Old Git has annoyed a few people around hereThe Old Git has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
Who you seem to expect to do your research for you.

I get that it's frustrating and sometimes difficult to find the right info, but it's always best to go to the official websites; in this case www.gov.uk and https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...weigerung.html. After all, if this oldie can manage it I'm sure you can. And you can use this to check for Switzerland as well. More clicking though I'm afraid.

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home
I'm not expecting anyone to do the research for me, but just maybe share a little polite experience since it's holiday period and assuming in an English speaking forum, there would be some native English people around...AbFab and Papa Goose are clearly married - God knows what their pet names are for each other privately. I had already excused myself as being a 'first poster' - in my day, this would be called bullying. Good point about being too for in the distant future - even the Swiss weather forecast can't see past tomorrow.

Thanks for the courtesy.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11.08.2021, 16:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 595
Groaned at 28 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 734 Times in 368 Posts
LtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond reputeLtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond reputeLtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond reputeLtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond reputeLtSoftDrink has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
This is my first post so forgive me if it goes astray:
I am considering travelling to the UK by car in September. I will go via Germany and France (Eurotunnel or ferry). However I note that Switzerland, along with France are on the UK's amber list. Can someone please provide me in a clear and concise manner, no more 'click on this link, then click on that link' nonsense, what the requirements are. Just bullet points would do. We are fully vaccinated.
Thank you..
Entitled, moi?

Quote:
View Post
Why not? - you took the time to read and reply....Nothing better to do?
Confrontational, moi?

Quote:
View Post
On 2nd thoughts, this forum was a mistake to join.

After a warm welcome from Medea Fleecestealer, AbFab - whoever the f*** she, probably a he, think's 'it' is - has tainted all others. What a shame - you are certainly no Joanna Lumley who is AbFab, nor even remotely as funny as Jennifer Saunders.

In small worlds live small minds.........Forum legend?????? More like a bored, middle aged housewife with nothing better to do
Polite, moi?

Quote:
View Post
I'm not expecting anyone to do the research for me, but just maybe share a little polite experience since it's holiday period and assuming in an English speaking forum, there would be some native English people around...AbFab and Papa Goose are clearly married - God knows what their pet names are for each other privately. I had already excused myself as being a 'first poster' - in my day, this would be called bullying. Good point about being too for in the distant future - even the Swiss weather forecast can't see past tomorrow.

Thanks for the courtesy.
Bullied "first poster" - hahaha!

If you really are an old git, you certainly put a heap of young arses to shame
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank LtSoftDrink for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 11.08.2021, 16:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Switzerland >30 years
Posts: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Old Git has annoyed a few people around hereThe Old Git has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
Entitled, moi?



Confrontational, moi?



Polite, moi?



Bullied "first poster" - hahaha!

If you really are an old git, you certainly put a heap of young arses to shame
Ok - you got me - all of the above
I ask an innocent question, get stupid and unnecessary answers from 'legends' instead of anything helpful, get groaned at (I haven't even figured that one out yet, but will probably be groaning a lot in the comings days in this forum)

Enjoy
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11.08.2021, 16:25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 336
Groaned at 146 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 319 Times in 164 Posts
CliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeableCliiniMuus is considered knowledgeable
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Git have a look at the thread I linked to. Loads of good advice on there, and you'll see lively discussion, too. Ignore anything unhelpful here. It's a waste of time and energy to get stuck in back-and-forth bickering.


Your original post comes across a bit poorly. That's what people are reacting to. No big deal. We'll all forget to post bits of helpful info, or portray a tone that doesn't reflect well on us, from time to time. Sometimes we each forget the human having to read our mardy words, and can easily overlook they may be stressed, or coping with a lot.


Welcome. Take deep breaths and regular breaks. Devote time and energy to being uplifting when you post, and supporting posters who are kind and helpful. The decent posts are few and far between, but so wonderful, it's worth hanging around.

Last edited by CliiniMuus; 11.08.2021 at 16:35.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11.08.2021, 16:34
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,780
Groaned at 418 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 18,329 Times in 5,676 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
This is my first post so forgive me if it goes astray:
I am considering travelling to the UK by car in September. I will go via Germany and France (Eurotunnel or ferry). However I note that Switzerland, along with France are on the UK's amber list. Can someone please provide me in a clear and concise manner, no more 'click on this link, then click on that link' nonsense, what the requirements are. Just bullet points would do. We are fully vaccinated.
Thank you..
I forgive you and welcome to the forum
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 11.08.2021, 17:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Switzerland >30 years
Posts: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Old Git has annoyed a few people around hereThe Old Git has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Travelling to the UK by car.

Quote:
View Post
I forgive you and welcome to the forum
I like you…….😇 (don’t know how to formally thank people yet)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The Old Git for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travelling to Ireland glennsche General off-topic 1 07.02.2012 11:39
Going travelling for a while Phil_MCR Permits/visas/government 21 05.12.2011 13:38
Travelling by car to the Uk with my dog. valexley Pet corner 23 07.08.2011 17:12
Travelling from the USA rrs Complaints corner 48 11.01.2011 09:46
Travelling to UK Edamame Travel/day trips/free time 2 10.06.2010 21:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0