Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Travel/day trips/free time  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.08.2021, 14:55
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich (Uetikon)
Posts: 225
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 195 Times in 57 Posts
Mr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of manyMr. Happy has earned the respect of many
Flying to London and Covid rules

I am planning to fly to London from Zurich and stay for a week. I am fully vaccinated.

Just checked on the UK GOV site and Switzerland is on the Amber list meaning that I must do a PCR test 3 days before, and another within 2 days of arrival. Seems a bit of an over-kill to me for a fully vaccinated person. I wonder if the rules may get a little relaxed for a fully vaccinated person in the near future?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...ber-list-rules
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.08.2021, 14:57
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,111
Groaned at 950 Times in 531 Posts
Thanked 5,062 Times in 2,251 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
I am planning to fly to London from Zurich and stay for a week. I am fully vaccinated.

Just checked on the UK GOV site and Switzerland is on the Amber list meaning that I must do a PCR test 3 days before, and another within 2 days of arrival. Seems a bit of an over-kill to me for a fully vaccinated person. I wonder if the rules may get a little relaxed for a fully vaccinated person in the near future?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...ber-list-rules
Test before you fly doesn't need to be PCR. Rules may relax, they may not. This is what they are at the moment.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 16.08.2021, 15:16
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 159
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 251 Times in 107 Posts
keyboardandmouse has an excellent reputationkeyboardandmouse has an excellent reputationkeyboardandmouse has an excellent reputationkeyboardandmouse has an excellent reputation
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
Test before you fly doesn't need to be PCR. Rules may relax, they may not. This is what they are at the moment.
and as I posted in the other thread. fully vaccinated means two jabs. it doesn't mean one jab and having had covid, which is a COMPLETE DOWNER because that's the swiss way of doing things and flipping knew this would happen. now I have to ask for another covid jab even though I have a proper swiss covid passport because of stupid england.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank keyboardandmouse for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 16.08.2021, 15:33
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,747
Groaned at 118 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 7,630 Times in 3,463 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
I am planning to fly to London from Zurich and stay for a week. I am fully vaccinated.

Just checked on the UK GOV site and Switzerland is on the Amber list meaning that I must do a PCR test 3 days before, and another within 2 days of arrival. Seems a bit of an over-kill to me for a fully vaccinated person. I wonder if the rules may get a little relaxed for a fully vaccinated person in the near future?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...ber-list-rules
Not likely as the green list has those requirements too.

Quote:
View Post
and as I posted in the other thread. fully vaccinated means two jabs. it doesn't mean one jab and having had covid, which is a COMPLETE DOWNER because that's the swiss way of doing things and flipping knew this would happen. now I have to ask for another covid jab even though I have a proper swiss covid passport because of stupid england.
If England is stupid, donít go!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.08.2021, 16:23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hausen am Albis, ZH
Posts: 368
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 603 Times in 234 Posts
Massa has a reputation beyond reputeMassa has a reputation beyond reputeMassa has a reputation beyond reputeMassa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
I am planning to fly to London from Zurich and stay for a week. I am fully vaccinated.

Just checked on the UK GOV site and Switzerland is on the Amber list meaning that I must do a PCR test 3 days before, and another within 2 days of arrival. Seems a bit of an over-kill to me for a fully vaccinated person. I wonder if the rules may get a little relaxed for a fully vaccinated person in the near future?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...ber-list-rules
Am in the UK at the moment & the process you describe above is very straightforward if you follow the process - just donít forget your Passenger Locator form either. I got an antigen test the day I flew - results in 15 mins and did the day 2 test via Boots. If youíre fully vaccinated at least 14 days before you fly youíll now avoid any self isolation should track & trace reach out. Just be thankful you no longer have to quarantine & donít need a test to fly back to Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Massa for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 16.08.2021, 16:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 7,054
Groaned at 424 Times in 314 Posts
Thanked 9,751 Times in 4,566 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Do we need yet another flying to the UK thread?
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 16.08.2021, 19:30
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,479
Groaned at 224 Times in 149 Posts
Thanked 10,099 Times in 3,910 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
Am in the UK at the moment & the process you describe above is very straightforward if you follow the process - just donít forget your Passenger Locator form either. I got an antigen test the day I flew - results in 15 mins and did the day 2 test via Boots. If youíre fully vaccinated at least 14 days before you fly youíll now avoid any self isolation should track & trace reach out. Just be thankful you no longer have to quarantine & donít need a test to fly back to Switzerland.
Unless you are cross-vaccinated, then you have to self quarantine for 10 days.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.08.2021, 22:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gimel, VD
Posts: 80
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
leyla76 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
Am in the UK at the moment & the process you describe above is very straightforward if you follow the process - just donít forget your Passenger Locator form either. I got an antigen test the day I flew - results in 15 mins and did the day 2 test via Boots. If youíre fully vaccinated at least 14 days before you fly youíll now avoid any self isolation should track & trace reach out. Just be thankful you no longer have to quarantine & donít need a test to fly back to Switzerland.
I need to fly to uk for a weekend. Means I fly Friday morning and come back Sunday evening. Seems that I will not be able to make a day 2 test or I will not be able to get my results back.
So how does it work? I had to book a test, pay for it and just show details at check in? Iím fully vaccinated .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.08.2021, 01:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 673
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 908 Times in 372 Posts
eairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond reputeeairicbloodaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Yes, unfortunately that is how it works.

If you fly in on Friday, day 2 is Sunday. You post the test before you leave, and do not care about the result.

Kind regards


Ian
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.08.2021, 01:45
Castro's Avatar
ŗ la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,778
Groaned at 127 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 17,402 Times in 5,533 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
If England is stupid, donít go!
On a more positive note the masking requirements have been relaxed, although its still recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.08.2021, 11:20
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

I have just booked a day 2 drive through test in the Midlands for £20 with https://www.eurofins.co.uk/pcr-testing-kits/day-2-test/

It will work for weekend visits where you leave on or before day 2 (Arrival being day 0) as you don't need the test if you leave.

The best deal I could do last week was £35.99 with an Expert-Medicals postal test, however it was not delivered until 5 days after leaving the U.K. I suspect I could have used the same test no, but for just £20 booked another test instead.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.08.2021, 12:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 927
Groaned at 160 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 861 Times in 463 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Prenetics gave me full refund for the day 2+8 mail in test last month. I emailed them after getting through customs (which was my most pleasant UK entry in history for the record), and the refund was on my revolut card next day. Full price test package but I got it all back. I only stayed for 12 hours before anyone starts on their high covid horseÖ.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 23.08.2021, 22:13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 139
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 55 Posts
justpassingby is considered knowledgeablejustpassingby is considered knowledgeablejustpassingby is considered knowledgeable
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Day 2 test doesnít necessarily have to be taken on day two. Itís Ąup toď day two so can be done when you arrive.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31.08.2021, 13:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 814
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 386 Times in 231 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
I have just booked a day 2 drive through test in the Midlands for £20 with https://www.eurofins.co.uk/pcr-testing-kits/day-2-test/

It will work for weekend visits where you leave on or before day 2 (Arrival being day 0) as you don't need the test if you leave.

The best deal I could do last week was £35.99 with an Expert-Medicals postal test, however it was not delivered until 5 days after leaving the U.K. I suspect I could have used the same test no, but for just £20 booked another test instead.
Do you know what happens if the day 2 test doesn't arrive?

We're going to the UK for a few days at end of September, I'm looking at test providers now for the day 2. Obviously we have time so hopefully don't have any issues.

Seems to me that it's important to book the day 2 test for the refernence number in the UK entry form, however: what if the test doesn't arrive before we need to leave? Would we need to book another or they would let us fly home again with no issue..?

We're fully vaxed and obviously Switzerland is green now. I really hope the UK stops these complicated and expensive test requirements soon. At least for now we have the pre-travel tests for free here anyway!

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 31.08.2021, 18:13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 139
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 55 Posts
justpassingby is considered knowledgeablejustpassingby is considered knowledgeablejustpassingby is considered knowledgeable
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Flying UK to CH just show your vaccination certificate at checkin and fill in your Swiss locator form. No tests required. I did it on Sunday. If youíre flying with Swiss they send an email telling you what to do with links.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank justpassingby for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 31.08.2021, 18:20
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flying to London and Covid rules

Quote:
View Post
Do you know what happens if the day 2 test doesn't arrive?

We're going to the UK for a few days at end of September, I'm looking at test providers now for the day 2. Obviously we have time so hopefully don't have any issues.

Seems to me that it's important to book the day 2 test for the refernence number in the UK entry form, however: what if the test doesn't arrive before we need to leave? Would we need to book another or they would let us fly home again with no issue..?

We're fully vaxed and obviously Switzerland is green now. I really hope the UK stops these complicated and expensive test requirements soon. At least for now we have the pre-travel tests for free here anyway!

Thanks
If it does not arrive absolutely nothing, I guess if you are still in the uk then send off the test. I have a Facebook friend that is waiting for the result of a 2 dat test taken on 2nd August

No test needed to fly out of the UK
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
covid-19, travel




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uk COVID new rules JamesPurcell Daily life 16 03.06.2021 22:40
Flying TO Switzerland in Light of Covid DavidB52 Daily life 33 26.03.2021 16:06
Now you can use the Governments Covid rules Generator John William International affairs/politics 0 09.03.2021 23:56
Flying from London Heathrow? gijap General off-topic 15 09.04.2016 13:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0