Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.12.2010, 15:47
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

If one is interessted in buying a home cinema speaker system including a Blu-Ray player & wireless rear speakers with a budget of around CHF1000; what would those with some knowledge of such things recommend?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.12.2010, 15:54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Deleted Account, Left Forum
Posts: 261
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 252 Times in 123 Posts
HarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputation
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Quote:
View Post
If one is interessted in buying a home cinema speaker system including a Blu-Ray player & wireless rear speakers with a budget of around CHF1000; what would those with some knowledge of such things recommend?
Hi Lou,

Me too. Been looking for at least a year with around the same budget to no avail. I really like the usability of ONKYO gear but they don't do satellite speakers and I don't want the cable salad.

Samsung, Sony and Co. do a couple of units that match your requirements. I've seen a few offers at ehawk. But be aware that the Samsung stuff is normally wireless ready. That means you often have to buy expensive add-ons to get the wireless features.

Take a look at ehawk. Also, digitec has a few good offers on at the moment. Just select "wireless" on the selection screen.

All these units have monsterous speaker columns yet I'd like something less obvious, perhaps smaller speakers that you can "hide" or don't take up too much space.

If you're successful, please let me know. I'm still looking.

Cheers
Harry
__________________
Gone, deleted account, left forum.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HarryBosch for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.12.2010, 16:00
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Hi Harry,

I have been looking at eHawk, so far I have been leaning towards Sony if only because we have a Bravia and like you say they have systems that meet the requirements but I just read a not so good review of them so got all confused (again). This is what I was thinking about: http://www.ehawk.ch/product_info.php?products_id=23906 Any thoughts on that model. Thanks for the heads up on the expensive add-ons, I did nto realise that.

Cheers,

Lou

Quote:
View Post
Hi Lou,

Me too. Been looking for at least a year with around the same budget to no avail. I really like the usability of ONKYO gear but they don't do satellite speakers and I don't want the cable salad.

Samsung, Sony and Co. do a couple of units that match your requirements. I've seen a few offers at ehawk. But be aware that the Samsung stuff is normally wireless ready. That means you often have to buy expensive add-ons to get the wireless features.

Take a look at ehawk. Also, digitec has a few good offers on at the moment. Just select "wireless" on the selection screen.

All these units have monsterous speaker columns yet I'd like something less obvious, perhaps smaller speakers that you can "hide" or don't take up too much space.

If you're successful, please let me know. I'm still looking.

Cheers
Harry
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.12.2010, 16:01
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ägeri
Posts: 3,662
Groaned at 233 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 4,105 Times in 1,766 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

http://www.powerch.com/advanced_sear...6500&x=32&y=11

Is the one I'd go for, more features than you can shake a stick at, and this guy had it delivered in 4 days when places like Media Markt couldn't even order it, and for 200 chuffs less than the non-wireles version they had. I'm really pleased with it, sound & vision quality is superb, set up was easy, but remember to ask for the wireless module. Even with that, small extra it's still much more bang for buck than anything else.
__________________
How do you know if a Frenchman has been in your garden.... your rubbish is gone, your dog is pregnant.... but at least your cabbages are pest free
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Papa Goose for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 05.12.2010, 16:16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Deleted Account, Left Forum
Posts: 261
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 252 Times in 123 Posts
HarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputationHarryBosch has an excellent reputation
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Quote:
View Post
but remember to ask for the wireless module.
Thanks Papa Goose for the tip.

Bare in mind. When I last looked, the remote unit can cost around $200 bucks when you buy from the same shop. But you can source this seperately. I've seen them advertised for $80. Just make sure you order the right module.

Also, I use the following website to check out purchase decisions beforehand:

http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/

or for the samsung.
http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/home-cin...sung-ht-c6500/

Experts and users review seperately. I find it quite informative.

Cheers,
Harry
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.12.2010, 17:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,394
Groaned at 595 Times in 452 Posts
Thanked 13,940 Times in 5,418 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Quote:
View Post
If one is interessted in buying a home cinema speaker system including a Blu-Ray player & wireless rear speakers with a budget of around CHF1000; what would those with some knowledge of such things recommend?
There's plenty listed on Digitec.ch. The Onkyo HT-S5305 http://www.digitec.ch/ProdukteDetail...Artikel=186768 is under budget at 699CHF and gets great reviews on Amazon UK... and its' bigger brother the Onkyo HT-S630 http://www.digitec.ch/ProdukteDetail...Artikel=186761 is also a good system and comes in just under budget at 900CHF.

I would forget the wireless aspect... it's really not much effort to put speaker wire around and hide it neatly, and the sound quality will be better. Wireless technology still has restrictions and limits the sound quality bandwidth that it can handle.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 05.12.2010, 17:09
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 3,875
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 3,889 Times in 2,001 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Just to make sure you are getting the best price, be sure to look at http://www.toppreise.ch/

It is a website that compares all of the on-line shops.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 05.12.2010, 17:11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 183
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 41 Posts
BoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of many
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Hi, if you are buying a Blueray and all and realy are into home theathre and movies please bear in mind these two things.

Firstly blueray movies cost more than dvds. So in the end if you are only going to buy dvds then maybe this is the time to swtich the blueray to a dvd player.

Secondly if you are looking for sound quality and are going to spend money for it then I suggest you forgo the wwireless part. Wirless to date cannot deliver the same sound and quality as wired speakers.

So if you are looking for that extra umph than go wired all along.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BoZz for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 05.12.2010, 17:59
nomad66's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich / Down Under
Posts: 221
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 66 Posts
nomad66 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Personally, I am leaning towards the soundbar systems. Example of one is from philips at

http://www.philips.at/c/soundbar-sys...ONSUMER%3Dtrue

I heard the philips unit in action at a friend of mine. It was very very surprising - enough so that I was willing to forego running cables all across the room(s). These can be set up (programmed so to speak) to match the type of rooms you have (e.g. room dimensions, doors, spaces, windows and their locations). Once programmed, they automatically adjust the speakers to compensate for room layout.

There are a few manufacturers now making these units. Philips is one of a few.

These models come with and without blue-ray player. I prefer one without the player, and purchase a code-free multi-media blue-ray player as a separate unit (I have dvds with various region codes).

These units can also do away with the amp and many other boxen that are part of a traditional home audio system. Once mouted on the wall, under the flat screen, it looks much kewler, less cables and clutter of traditional boxen that make up a home audio system.

If you shop around, you should be able to get pretty good deals now and likely to be around you price range.

HTH.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nomad66 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 05.12.2010, 18:09
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Toppreise is always my first port of call when buying electronic items. Good tip!

Quote:
View Post
Just to make sure you are getting the best price, be sure to look at http://www.toppreise.ch/

It is a website that compares all of the on-line shops.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05.12.2010, 18:15
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

We already have a mix of DVD & Blu-Ray movies, at the moment we use the PS3 to play the Blu-Ray ones, thought if I am buying this may as well get the proper player as the PS3 invloves a lot of faffing about.

The way the room is it will be really difficult to hide wires to the rear speakers & with the kids jumping around with the Wii I don't want to run the risk of them tripping on the wire & pulling a speaker down, the speaker might get damaged . Neither of us are real audiophiles so as long as the sound is decent and does not distort if played loudly it will be fine.

Quote:
View Post
Hi, if you are buying a Blueray and all and realy are into home theathre and movies please bear in mind these two things.

Firstly blueray movies cost more than dvds. So in the end if you are only going to buy dvds then maybe this is the time to swtich the blueray to a dvd player.

Secondly if you are looking for sound quality and are going to spend money for it then I suggest you forgo the wwireless part. Wirless to date cannot deliver the same sound and quality as wired speakers.

So if you are looking for that extra umph than go wired all along.
__________________
“Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.”
– Aaron Siskind
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.12.2010, 19:16
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 183
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 41 Posts
BoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of many
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Okay in that case go for wireless. I suggest you look at the JBL wireless module to play with any speakers that you buy. By using a seperate amplification unit for wirless you will not be confined to buying a system which comes wirelss and which are not too many.

Take a look here http://reviews.cnet.com/speakers-spe...-32331402.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BoZz for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 06.12.2010, 13:45
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Thanks PG, I had a good look at them but I really need big floor standing speakers for the rear as there in nowhere to put little ones.

Quote:
View Post
http://www.powerch.com/advanced_sear...6500&x=32&y=11

Is the one I'd go for, more features than you can shake a stick at, and this guy had it delivered in 4 days when places like Media Markt couldn't even order it, and for 200 chuffs less than the non-wireles version they had. I'm really pleased with it, sound & vision quality is superb, set up was easy, but remember to ask for the wireless module. Even with that, small extra it's still much more bang for buck than anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06.12.2010, 15:45
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 183
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 41 Posts
BoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of many
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

How about hanging the rears on the wall...... think about it. Big floor speakers will be a wastage of space and power. Besides I am sure you must know this but the surround or rear speakers come into play with movies only and not with normal music. And even then most of the time their job is to remain silent. So spending big on them is a no no. In a home theatre enviroment the most important and the most used speaker is the center.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BoZz for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 06.12.2010, 15:49
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

There are no walls to hang them on so that is not an option either, it really has to be floor speakers. It it be used really only for movies and not to listen to music. As long as the whole system comes in on or under budget I will be happy.

Quote:
View Post
How about hanging the rears on the wall...... think about it. Big floor speakers will be a wastage of space and power. Besides I am sure you must know this but the surround or rear speakers come into play with movies only and not with normal music. And even then most of the time their job is to remain silent. So spending big on them is a no no. In a home theatre enviroment the most important and the most used speaker is the center.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06.12.2010, 22:07
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ägeri
Posts: 3,662
Groaned at 233 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 4,105 Times in 1,766 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Papa Goose for the tip.

Bare in mind. When I last looked, the remote unit can cost around $200 bucks when you buy from the same shop. But you can source this seperately. I've seen them advertised for $80. Just make sure you order the right module.
The wireless module for the one I have was CHF168, so not too bad.

http://www.powerch.com/advanced_sear...11r0&x=17&y=11 is a bit of a beasty and the wireless module is included at CHF 750.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06.12.2010, 22:19
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

That is my current favourite! It has the best reviews I have seen for any system in my budget. Thanks.

Quote:
View Post
The wireless module for the one I have was CHF168, so not too bad.

http://www.powerch.com/advanced_sear...11r0&x=17&y=11 is a bit of a beasty and the wireless module is included at CHF 750.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06.12.2010, 22:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,394
Groaned at 595 Times in 452 Posts
Thanked 13,940 Times in 5,418 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Quote:
View Post
That is my current favourite! It has the best reviews I have seen for any system in my budget. Thanks.
Reviews aren't great http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-C67...DateDescending

Personally I wouldn't spend close to 1000 chuffs on a Samsung speaker system. They are known for their video quality, not their audio.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Richdog for this post:
  #19  
Old 06.12.2010, 22:29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 393
Groaned at 23 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 165 Times in 80 Posts
Country_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeableCountry_Mouse is considered knowledgeable
Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

Samsung 9950W is in media Markt, was blown away by it. Best looking and packed full of everything I need. Wireless rear speakers and iPod dock, 7.1, big power, crisp sound, blu ray, 3d ready sound and vision.

Buying it this week, 2K....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06.12.2010, 22:30
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blu-Ray Home Cinema System?

There are decent reviews elswhere. So if you don't recommend Samsung what do you recommend? The choice is not so great for what I need & my budget.

Quote:
View Post
Reviews aren't great http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-C67...DateDescending

Personally I wouldn't spend close to 1000 chuffs on a Samsung speaker system. They are known for their video quality, not their audio.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
home cinema




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home cinema surround system monkeynut TV/internet/telephone 78 04.05.2013 19:44
For Free: JVC TH-S33 Home Cinema System Mikers Free stuff 2 19.10.2010 12:25
For sale: Sony DAV S800 home cinema system Papa Goose Items for sale 2 10.05.2010 23:02
ZH area FS Home Cinema System joeyjo Items for sale 3 19.10.2009 08:51
HTPC and Blu Ray PaddyG TV/internet/telephone 14 12.05.2009 19:39


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0