Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 08.04.2011, 23:08
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,135 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't get the Xoom until tonight. Didn't have time to fully set it up, so I won't be taking it along on my vacation tomorrow.- but what I can say is that it looks pretty darn promising. Most Android Apps from the market work just fine. Tapatalk is a prime example - there is no tablet- optimized version of it yet, but the stock Android version looks just fine and works as intended.

The screen, the build quality, everything is perfectly en par with the iPad 1 (don't know the I pad 2, so i can't comment on that right now). The battery charges very quickly and seems to last extremely long. Compare to the iPad 1, the xoom is drastically snappier - which doesn't come as a surprise, considering that it has a very fast processor and 1gb of RAM

Anyway, more when I get back towards the end of next week.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Pics or it didn't happen
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 09.04.2011, 00:11
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,749
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't get the Xoom until tonight. Didn't have time to fully set it up, so I won't be taking it along on my vacation tomorrow.- but what I can say is that it looks pretty darn promising. Most Android Apps from the market work just fine. Tapatalk is a prime example - there is no tablet- optimized version of it yet, but the stock Android version looks just fine and works as intended.

The screen, the build quality, everything is perfectly en par with the iPad 1 (don't know the I pad 2, so i can't comment on that right now). The battery charges very quickly and seems to last extremely long. Compare to the iPad 1, the xoom is drastically snappier - which doesn't come as a surprise, considering that it has a very fast processor and 1gb of RAM

Anyway, more when I get back towards the end of next week.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
if you need someone to gadget-sit while you're on holiday, just let me know
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 09.04.2011, 00:14
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,749
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

the 10.1 galaxy tab has also appeared on digitec.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11.04.2011, 14:33
ChristianK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zooooooooooooooooooooooooooook
Posts: 160
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
ChristianK has earned some respectChristianK has earned some respect
Re: Android Tablet

So, I went ahead and placed an order for the Asus Transformer from Digitec - they will deliver it in the beginning of May.

I haven't been this excited since I built my first pole barn in back '54.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11.04.2011, 14:51
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
So, I went ahead and placed an order for the Asus Transformer from Digitec - they will deliver it in the beginning of May.

I haven't been this excited since I built my first pole barn in back '54.
You won't regret it - Honeycomb really is pretty awesome - I was surprised as I had read some negative reviews before (I have re-read some of those now and had to realize that it was mainly the pricing and the price-plans by the US carriers that were criticized). Google has put a lot of work into Honeycomb. It's very streamlined and fast. They stole some stuff from Apple (like the new design of the gmail client) but also included some innovative new features (such as the music player, which is simply awesome). The whole experience is surprisingly solid - the widgets really come to life on a tablet screen. Even though some tablet-optimized apps look exactly like on iOS, the added widgets are what really sets Honeycomb apart from iOS. And I'm glad to say that the new tablet apps make use of the potential - the CNN app and the widget are extremely good on Honeycomb, for example. Pulse reader is also great. Amazon Kindle allows for newspapers and magazines to be read on the tablet (something that's not yet possible on Amazon's iPad app). What I found a bit disappointing is the fact that Zinio isn't officially available for Honeycomb - there is a tablet-optimized version of the Zinio app but since they've apparently struck an exclusivity-deal with Samsung, the app hasn't yet been released to the Xoom-wielding public. There is the unofficial xda-developers way of installing the Galaxy Tab version, though.

As I wasn't able to pick up the Xoom until Friday afternoon, I couldn't take it along - now I'm I'm Istanbul with my wife's iPad and wish I had just taken the Xoom along even though I wasn't able to completely set it up yet. So more on this when I get back - and I'll throw in some pics, too.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #106  
Old 11.04.2011, 15:05
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,749
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
As I wasn't able to pick up the Xoom until Friday afternoon, I couldn't take it along - now I'm I'm Istanbul with my wife's iPad and wish I had just taken the Xoom along even though I wasn't able to completely set it up yet. So more on this when I get back - and I'll throw in some pics, too.
probably a good thing. otherwise, you might have wasted your vacation playing on your new tech toy. just think of it as a second vacation when you get back!

one thing that puts me off the xoom, is the weight. i already find the 7" galaxy tab a bit too heavy - and that's about half the weight of the xoom. i think i'd part with my money if a 2nd generation, lighter version of the gtab comes out.

or a higher resolution version of the xoom comes out. seems a bit of a waste to have a 10" screen stuck with such a low resolution.

did a quick resolution comparison:

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...s-vs-gtab7-res
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.

Last edited by Phil_MCR; 11.04.2011 at 15:21.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 13.04.2011, 10:15
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
probably a good thing. otherwise, you might have wasted your vacation playing on your new tech toy. just think of it as a second vacation when you get back!

one thing that puts me off the xoom, is the weight. i already find the 7" galaxy tab a bit too heavy - and that's about half the weight of the xoom. i think i'd part with my money if a 2nd generation, lighter version of the gtab comes out.

or a higher resolution version of the xoom comes out. seems a bit of a waste to have a 10" screen stuck with such a low resolution.

did a quick resolution comparison:

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...s-vs-gtab7-res
I can only compare the Xoom to the iPad one. The Xoom is slightly lighter. The iPad 2, again, is a bit lighter but I doubt it'll make much of a difference. The galaxy tab is massively lighter than both the iPad and the Xoom - if you find that too heavy, I'd say you're out of luck for the foreseeable future. Apple is already pushing the weight limit.

In terms of resolution: I agree, that could be better - the Xoom's res is higher than the iPad's, though, and Google is doing a much better job in terms of font smoothing. Text on the Xoom looks a lot less grainy than on the iPad. On the latter, the readability of text is borderline useless for my standards (I use the tab mainly as a reading device).
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 13.05.2011, 14:45
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,749
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
In terms of resolution: I agree, that could be better - the Xoom's res is higher than the iPad's, though, and Google is doing a much better job in terms of font smoothing. Text on the Xoom looks a lot less grainy than on the iPad. On the latter, the readability of text is borderline useless for my standards (I use the tab mainly as a reading device).
New HiRes screen on the way:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/...esolution/5787

Shame it is pentile, but at this density, it may not be as irritating.

BTW, Xoom still good, or is the honeymoon over?
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 20.05.2011, 19:48
wma's Avatar
wma wma is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 12 Posts
wma has earned some respectwma has earned some respect
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
the 10.1 galaxy tab has also appeared on digitec.
It's still there, but the picture looks like the 10.1V - Samsung have renamed the old 10.1 to 10.1V, and are releasing a new 10.1 which is as slim as the ipad2. The Xoom will look oldskool compared to the new 10.1 ...
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 21.05.2011, 08:12
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
It's still there, but the picture looks like the 10.1V - Samsung have renamed the old 10.1 to 10.1V, and are releasing a new 10.1 which is as slim as the ipad2. The Xoom will look oldskool compared to the new 10.1 ...
Agreed, however, Samsung have so far been telling us that they have no plans to bring the slim version of the 10.1 to Europe.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 24.05.2011, 12:04
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
Agreed, however, Samsung have so far been telling us that they have no plans to bring the slim version of the 10.1 to Europe.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Seems that I was wrong - Digitec now has the 3G+WiFi version listed for 799, for a scheduled delivery date of "mid June" (meaning: they have no idea when :-) Since Samsung is going to launch the product in early June in the States, mid June could be possible for Europe, I guess

peter
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 31.05.2011, 23:06
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Zinio has finally been released for Honeycomb!
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 01.06.2011, 00:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,702
Groaned at 1,281 Times in 857 Posts
Thanked 20,156 Times in 7,762 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Am I right in thinking the new revised version of the Galaxy tab 10.1 has no SD expansion slot? Digitec seem to have two models listed too... the 7100 and 7500... is the 7100 with the 8MP camera the thicker model before they took it and revised it?
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 01.06.2011, 23:00
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
Am I right in thinking the new revised version of the Galaxy tab 10.1 has no SD expansion slot? Digitec seem to have two models listed too... the 7100 and 7500... is the 7100 with the 8MP camera the thicker model before they took it and revised it?
The Wifi+3G model apparently has a MicroSD slot, the Wifi-only model doesn't.

And yes, the 7100 (or 10.1V) is the model Samsung had already pre-produced at the time they decided to re-model the tablet to make it more competitive (with the iPad 2 being thinner etc.). They apparently only produced a small number of the 10.1V and are now selling those off via Vodafone (and Swisscom, which is a Vodafone partner). I'd advice against buying it, because in my opinion, Samsung will likely not be supportin it for a very long time. It has a different software than the 7500. Also, it's very unlikely that there'll be many accessories for the 7100 / 10.1V

Peter
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #115  
Old 25.11.2011, 23:29
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,135 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

I'm seriously considering the new Asus Transformer Prime. Docked with the keyboard its as light and portable as a Macbook Air, and as a tablet it makes no concessions on power, screen res or battery life.



Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 26.11.2011, 00:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 580
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 275 Times in 172 Posts
we_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeablewe_da_man is considered knowledgeable
Re: Android Tablet

A nice machine, and specs to back it up.
But don't you think that at 700 CHF the price is stiff? Especially when (if you think about it) you are actually getting a Tablet!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 26.11.2011, 22:21
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,112
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,191 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
I'm seriously considering the new Asus Transformer Prime. Docked with the keyboard its as light and portable as a Macbook Air, and as a tablet it makes no concessions on power, screen res or battery life.



I had the previous version. The build quality was absolutely awful. Had to send it in three times for various issues (dust under the screen, glue stains on the case etc.) - they never fixed the dust thing, although theg replaced the panel three times.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #118  
Old 27.02.2012, 15:30
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,135 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Interesting developments from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.. tons of new Android tablets, especially from Samsung. If you want an Android tablet, they now pretty much have every size covered

Galaxy Tab - 7", 7" plus, 7.7", 8.9", 10.1"
Galaxy Tab 2 - 7", 10.1"
Galaxy Note - 10.1" (just announced)

Its a perenial rant of mine, but what turns me off Android tab makers like Samsung and ASUS is the complete lack of value proposition. They expect you to pay iPad money for something that will be worth half what you paid in 3 months and obsolete in 6?? As for the Transformer Prime (which I owned for all of two days) they've managed to piss off all their early adopters by releasing a sub-standard product, refusing to properly acknowledge the faults, but instead announce 2 new models that fix the problems. You've just paid CHF 700 for a state of the art tablet only to be told that a better one will be out in a couple of months (that works)

IMHO the solution is blatantly obvious, fewer models and more predictable release cycles.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post:
  #119  
Old 27.02.2012, 15:58
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,749
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,639 Times in 7,827 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
Interesting developments from the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.. tons of new Android tablets, especially from Samsung. If you want an Android tablet, they now pretty much have every size covered

Galaxy Tab - 7", 7" plus, 7.7", 8.9", 10.1"
Galaxy Tab 2 - 7", 10.1"
Galaxy Note - 10.1" (just announced)

Its a perenial rant of mine, but what turns me off Android tab makers like Samsung and ASUS is the complete lack of value proposition. They expect you to pay iPad money for something that will be worth half what you paid in 3 months and obsolete in 6?? As for the Transformer Prime (which I owned for all of two days) they've managed to piss off all their early adopters by releasing a sub-standard product, refusing to properly acknowledge the faults, but instead announce 2 new models that fix the problems. You've just paid CHF 700 for a state of the art tablet only to be told that a better one will be out in a couple of months (that works)

IMHO the solution is blatantly obvious, fewer models and more predictable release cycles.
it is the nature of a fast moving market. the tablets are more expensive than ipads on a tco basis, but for me, it is worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 27.02.2012, 16:12
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZG
Posts: 5,697
Groaned at 126 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 17,135 Times in 5,437 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Tablet

Quote:
View Post
it is the nature of a fast moving market. the tablets are more expensive than ipads on a tco basis, but for me, it is worth it.
I personally think Android has had its day, the real future will be Windows 8 Tablet. MS have learnt from earlier mistakes and already proven with their smartphone OS that they can innovate, powering slick devices which don't need quad core processors, overlays and tweaks to work out of the box. Android will probably continue to find fans amongst the geeks, but for everyone else it'll be a choice of two.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Android pad thread dawiz TV/internet/telephone 73 23.08.2012 16:45
Android application reccommendations Chuff General off-topic 95 04.04.2011 20:25
Android VOIP experiences? richardk TV/internet/telephone 11 27.08.2010 14:20
G1 Smart Phone / Android Thread Talkietoaster TV/internet/telephone 25 08.12.2009 11:52
Protector for Android HTC G1 phone espinchi TV/internet/telephone 2 21.01.2009 21:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0