Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.04.2011, 12:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 496
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 115 Posts
standardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of many
Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecom

I just did a quick summary of Swisscom vs. Cablecom. To my surprise, the price difference is actually quite small.

Note: the CHF 25.- other fees included in Cablecom refers to the fees for the basic cable (what you can receive on your TV without a box). This is, in almost all cases, included in your Nebenkosten. If you have Swisscom TV, you can, however, have the basic cable blocked and not pay the 25.-. This is why the 25.- fee is only included in the table below for Cablecom and not Swisscom.


Last edited by standardgirl; 15.04.2011 at 15:24.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank standardgirl for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 15.04.2011, 14:06
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Was the price difference part being small sarcasm? You got 100meg internet with cablecom for the same price as 20meg on Swisscom
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.04.2011, 14:12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 496
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 115 Posts
standardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of many
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
Was the price difference part being small sarcasm? You got 100meg internet with cablecom for the same price as 20meg on Swisscom
well, people always seem to talk about how much cheaper Cablecom is, when in fact, the difference is much smaller than merely comparing the CHF99.- advertised price on Cablecome's website to what Swisscom advertises. (I should make a disclaimer that I have two TVs, but yeah, with one TV, Cablecom is cheaper!)

The 20meg on Swisscom will be about 20.- cheaper than Cablecom, whereas the 50meg one from Swisscome will be about 25.- more expensive. Whether you can get 100meg on Cablecom or 50meg on Swisscom should be tested anyways in certain cases, 50meg Swisscom could be faster than the 100meg Cablecom subscription

What I really want, is Swisscom phone and TV with Cablecom internet... now, why can't they just merge!? lol
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.04.2011, 14:43
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: basel
Posts: 203
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 93 Times in 65 Posts
daveAust has made some interesting contributions
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

i have 50mbit from swisscom. in fact i can download with close to 80mbit (8.5mbyte and you get this during peak hours, try this with cablecom...)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.04.2011, 14:51
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
i have 50mbit from swisscom. in fact i can download with close to 80mbit (8.5mbyte and you get this during peak hours, try this with cablecom...)
I reguarly exceed 12.5 MB/s on Cablecom. Speedtest.net shows me at 400+Mb/s most days. Yesterday I got 117k Mb/s on my Cablecom connection using the Swisscom sped test.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.04.2011, 14:56
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,516
Groaned at 364 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 12,722 Times in 4,340 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
I just did a quick summary of Swisscom vs. Cablecom. To my surprise, the price difference is actually quite small.

Note: the CHF 25.- other fees included in Cablecom refers to the fees for the basic cable (what you can receive on your TV without a box). This is, in almost all cases, included in your Nebenkosten. If you have Swisscom TV, you can, however, have the basic cable blocked and not pay the 25.-. This is why the 25.- fee is only included in the table below for Cablecom and not Swisscom.
What about the Swisscom CHF25.25/month line rental??
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.04.2011, 14:57
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: basel
Posts: 203
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 93 Times in 65 Posts
daveAust has made some interesting contributions
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
I reguarly exceed 12.5 MB/s on Cablecom. Speedtest.net shows me at 400+Mb/s most days. Yesterday I got 117k Mb/s on my Cablecom connection using the Swisscom sped test.
guess depends on what kind of neighbours you have ...a few of your kind and your speed during peak hours will be very low (like it has been in my case). cablecom with the docsis standard has disadvantages over proper fibre cables.

and: those speedtest sites arent the best sources for measuring a 100mbit connection in my opinion. a ftp download/torrent would be better (http://mirror.switch.ch as an example).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.04.2011, 14:57
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: basel
Posts: 203
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 93 Times in 65 Posts
daveAust has made some interesting contributions
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
What about the Swisscom CHF25.25/month line rental??
included in the vivo casa packages
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.04.2011, 14:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 496
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 115 Posts
standardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of many
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
included in the vivo casa packages
exactly
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.04.2011, 15:11
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
guess depends on what kind of neighbours you have ...a few of your kind and your speed during peak hours will be very low (like it has been in my case). cablecom with the docsis standard has disadvantages over proper fibre cables.

and: those speedtest sites arent the best sources for measuring a 100mbit connection in my opinion. a ftp download/torrent would be better (http://mirror.switch.ch as an example).
Apples with apples. Simply put, at the same time, FTP or http , any site Cablecoms network is faster than Swisscom.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15.04.2011, 15:13
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
I reguarly exceed 12.5 MB/s on Cablecom. Speedtest.net shows me at 400+Mb/s most days. Yesterday I got 117k Mb/s on my Cablecom connection using the Swisscom sped test.
You have to be careful with your 'B' and your 'b'

B is byte...b is bit

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15.04.2011, 15:22
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: basel
Posts: 203
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 93 Times in 65 Posts
daveAust has made some interesting contributions
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
Apples with apples. Simply put, at the same time, FTP or http , any site Cablecoms network is faster than Swisscom.
well, simply put in your case. but because of how cable networks are built its not everywhere that simple. in my street,cablecom couldnt provide even 20mbit during peak hours, because the headend was overloaded. of course cablecom is trying to upgrade these bottlenecks, but with constantly rising speeds they will work on this for years!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15.04.2011, 15:23
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,333
Groaned at 43 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 517 Posts
kiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond reputekiwiguy08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Whats cablecome?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15.04.2011, 15:25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 496
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 115 Posts
standardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of manystandardgirl has earned the respect of many
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
Whats cablecome?
muscle memory... my fingers prefer to type come instead of com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15.04.2011, 16:19
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
You have to be careful with your 'B' and your 'b'

B is byte...b is bit

Everything typed in correctly
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15.04.2011, 16:21
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
Everything typed in correctly
Reading comprehension fail
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15.04.2011, 17:28
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,540
Groaned at 204 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Quote:
View Post
Reading comprehension fail
OK, I'll take the bait...What do you mean ?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15.04.2011, 18:08
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecome

Reading comprehension fail on my part....initially....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15.04.2011, 22:27
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,782
Groaned at 19 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecom

Quote:
View Post
I just did a quick summary of Swisscom vs. Cablecom. To my surprise, the price difference is actually quite small.
You forget one key comparision:

As soon as you watch TV on Swisscom, your internet speed drops.
Watch 2 TVs on Swisscom, and your Internet is basically near zero

With Cablecom you can have as many TVs as you want with no impact on Internet speed
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FriendlyKiwi for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 16.04.2011, 11:36
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,478
Groaned at 132 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 1,684 Times in 769 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparison of Swisscom vs. Cablecom

Quote:
View Post
You forget one key comparision:

As soon as you watch TV on Swisscom, your internet speed drops.
Watch 2 TVs on Swisscom, and your Internet is basically near zero

With Cablecom you can have as many TVs as you want with no impact on Internet speed
Yep, and the reason this happens is they feed both signals through the same line, essentially splitting the bandwidth...For a company that is as advanced as Swisscom is, a bit dated IMO
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
income comparison Switzerland to US! Tupac Employment 11 17.01.2011 13:31
Digital TV Comparison: Cablecom versus Swisscom KB88111 TV/internet/telephone 19 09.01.2011 15:10
Prepaid Comparison itsybitsyspidy TV/internet/telephone 5 26.07.2009 17:29


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0