Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 13.03.2019, 15:33
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,492
Groaned at 209 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 19,993 Times in 8,505 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post

do i have to *solder* the wires of the respective ends !
Never solder mains connections.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 13.03.2019, 16:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Switzerland, zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
countchochula has no particular reputation at present
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post
No. The Swiss plug has screw terminals built in:

You're going to strip the ends of the cable on the US outlet bar, put ferrules on them, then insert those into the CH plug.

Judging by your questions you might be well advised to get someone qualified to do this for you.

actually i described exactly what your photo shows. the only difference is that i didn't realize the terminals are built into the plug itself vs an intermediary gadget. i see now. it looks simple enough.

i do agree though that you want to make sure you do this right for a whole bunch of good reasons. i'll cross that bridge when it's time. thanks for taking the time here and especially for posting the photo which in this case truly exemplifies that "a picture is worth a thousand words" !
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13.03.2019, 16:38
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 9,696
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 14,687 Times in 6,508 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post
Take a US powerstrip, cut it’s plug off and replace it with a three pin Swiss one. Ike’s your Uncle.
And make sure the US equipment can handle the standard 230V (+/- 10 %) / 50 Hz voltage from the Swiss outlet.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 13.03.2019, 17:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Switzerland, zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
countchochula has no particular reputation at present
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post
And make sure the US equipment can handle the standard 230V (+/- 10 %) / 50 Hz voltage from the Swiss outlet.

yeah i'm already all over that. this is only for my computer, phone, related dual voltage gadgets. all other appliances bought locally. thanks
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13.03.2019, 17:55
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 9,696
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 14,687 Times in 6,508 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

For the computer I suggest to get the correct cords.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 13.03.2019, 18:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 467
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 384 Times in 221 Posts
ThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputation
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post
regarding the cut plug method:


do i have to *solder* the wires of the respective ends or simply splice and *twist* the respective wires (perhaps cap too) together and then wrap well in tape? i always assumed powerstrips were a little more heavy duty and needed a little more care and attention vs rewiring the basic lamp plug but maybe that's not the case. thanks for the reply!
The plugs that I see in Migros have terminal screws and strain relief built in, as per the picture, meaning that you really only need a pair of wire clippers and a screwdriver in order to install them. In case you don't know, blue is normally neutral and there will also normally be small N and P markings on the plug to indicate neutral and phase.

Ferrules are common here, and for what looks like good reasons, but even without them, the odds of having trouble are low, especially if you get the bulk of the strands under the screw and the strain relief works correctly. Tinning the strands can actually make the wire more susceptible to failure in the long term, though this is more of a problem when vibration is an issue (e.g., vehicles).

Note that a US power strip on a 220V circuit would seem a little weird to me - any indicator light might burn out, and I'd be worried that sooner or later some visitor would plug a US item into it without checking whether the item can handle 220V. What I do have is a few German power strips with Swiss plugs grafted on - handy for grounded appliances imported from other parts of Europe.

Also, most of my dual-voltage stuff has changeable cords, so I collect alternative cords, at least for the US and Europe. Then I pack the appropriate cord when traveling and the number of parts that can fail stays low.

And finally, back to the original question, Distrelec has a good selection of adapters, and this looks fairly close to what you are asking for.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 13.03.2019, 20:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
CHnuschti has no particular reputation at present
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post
reopening this thread. is it possible to find *reliable* small form-factor adapters like this *now* in switzerland (preferably zurich)? all the stores have overpriced (compared to the states) adapters that are so big and wind up taking up too much space on your power strips. i'm just looking for the pared down style like this without all the extra garbage / plastic / size i do NOT want! as i said they need to work and not be junk either.


thx!

Seems of major interest, wow! judging the many suggestions and advices.
On ricardo they are offered up from 1 CHF. Surely the cheapest crap from China, but hey, pricy! And don't complain if the house goes up in flames eventually.
https://www.ricardo.ch/de/s/us%20eu%20stecker
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 14.03.2019, 17:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Switzerland, zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
countchochula has no particular reputation at present
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post
The plugs that I see in Migros have terminal screws and strain relief built in, as per the picture, meaning that you really only need a pair of wire clippers and a screwdriver in order to install them. In case you don't know, blue is normally neutral and there will also normally be small N and P markings on the plug to indicate neutral and phase.

Ferrules are common here, and for what looks like good reasons, but even without them, the odds of having trouble are low, especially if you get the bulk of the strands under the screw and the strain relief works correctly. Tinning the strands can actually make the wire more susceptible to failure in the long term, though this is more of a problem when vibration is an issue (e.g., vehicles).

Note that a US power strip on a 220V circuit would seem a little weird to me - any indicator light might burn out, and I'd be worried that sooner or later some visitor would plug a US item into it without checking whether the item can handle 220V. What I do have is a few German power strips with Swiss plugs grafted on - handy for grounded appliances imported from other parts of Europe.

Also, most of my dual-voltage stuff has changeable cords, so I collect alternative cords, at least for the US and Europe. Then I pack the appropriate cord when traveling and the number of parts that can fail stays low.

And finally, back to the original question, Distrelec has a good selection of adapters, and this looks fairly close to what you are asking for.

thank you once again!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 14.03.2019, 17:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Switzerland, zurich
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
countchochula has no particular reputation at present
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post
Seems of major interest, wow! judging the many suggestions and advices.
On ricardo they are offered up from 1 CHF. Surely the cheapest crap from China, but hey, pricy! And don't complain if the house goes up in flames eventually.
https://www.ricardo.ch/de/s/us%20eu%20stecker

thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 14.03.2019, 17:35
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,492
Groaned at 209 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 19,993 Times in 8,505 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Electrical adapter for Suisse

Quote:
View Post
Tinning the strands can actually make the wire more susceptible to failure in the long term, though this is more of a problem when vibration is an issue (e.g., vehicles).
From my understanding (and I may well be wrong, so don't take my word for it), the advice against soldering / tinning is not so much about the solder going brittle but it is because applying heat to a power cable can damage the insulation. Polymers can lose their dielectric strength long before they show visible signs of melting. A secondary reason is that in case of a major fault, molten solder will do more harm than good.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power adapter question ( US -> CH ) Swissy17 TV/internet/telephone 15 30.01.2011 01:21
MicroSD card adapter Chemmie Other/general 0 26.01.2010 10:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0