Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 23.05.2011, 20:36
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 76 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: True HD on FTA satellite?

I agree that while most programming isn't in HD yet, the upscaling to 1080i is pretty good in most cases and is visably better than the 720 TV's I've seen (they all seemed to have pixelation issues). However some sat-tv channels are so compressed to hell that they look like crap on any set. All things said, I think a full HD TV capable of 1080p is kind of the entry line into HD TV. I don't think 720p TV's should have really been sold at all, but were pushed and sold anyway. Fust, Samsung, all those guys have to eat I guess... Anyway, full HD TV's are getting so cheap now that the 720p sets can go join the tube sets in the technicolor graveyard....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 23.05.2011, 22:01
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: True HD on FTA satellite?

Quote:
View Post
the top spec TVs with the best contrast ratios, best blacks, best refresh rates, best brightness,
Hi,

You have to take the contrast specs with a pinch of salt, black is measured with the set turned off & white with the set turned on & the image brightened up. If you take a reading of a black & white chess board the best sets dont even have a contrast range of 1000:1 . Specs can be 1,000,000:1 or more depending the amount off 'cool aid' they were drinking at the time.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 23.05.2011, 22:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: True HD on FTA satellite?

Quote:
View Post
I agree that while most programming isn't in HD yet, the upscaling to 1080i is pretty good in most cases and is visably better than the 720 TV's I've seen (they all seemed to have pixelation issues). However some sat-tv channels are so compressed to hell that they look like crap on any set. All things said, I think a full HD TV capable of 1080p is kind of the entry line into HD TV. I don't think 720p TV's should have really been sold at all, but were pushed and sold anyway. Fust, Samsung, all those guys have to eat I guess... Anyway, full HD TV's are getting so cheap now that the 720p sets can go join the tube sets in the technicolor graveyard....
The most issues come from up & down ressing pictures, so an original 720p programme will probably look better on a 720p native screen. Due to TV companies saving money lots of scaling will occur & way too much compression for my liking
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 24.05.2011, 09:47
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: True HD on FTA satellite?

Quote:
View Post
The most issues come from up & down ressing pictures, so an original 720p programme will probably look better on a 720p native screen. Due to TV companies saving money lots of scaling will occur & way too much compression for my liking

For my liking, I only watch at 1600 --anything less is pixely for me. Unfortunately, that leaves me with essentially just video games.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 24.05.2011, 09:52
esto's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHE
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 76 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,406 Posts
esto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond reputeesto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: True HD on FTA satellite?

Quote:
View Post
For my liking, I only watch at 1600 --anything less is pixely for me. Unfortunately, that leaves me with essentially just video games.
I remember rocking Space Invaders on my Atari 2600. That was like what, 30p?


...sh*t, am I that old?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 24.05.2011, 10:26
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: True HD on FTA satellite?

Quote:
View Post
I remember rocking Space Invaders on my Atari 2600. That was like what, 30p?


...sh*t, am I that old?
hahaha--I believe that was around 192, although it was actually limited by the screen's capability. Theoretically, by design could output an unlimited lines of vertical resolution, but was limited by buffer RAM-from what I remember back in the day.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
20 20 Cricket on FTA Nickj Football/sports 4 31.03.2016 08:23
How to get Suisse(Swiss) FTA channels on satellite? SulemanShah TV/internet/telephone 7 13.01.2012 19:42
Recommendations for HD FTA Satellite receivers Glendyn TV/internet/telephone 2 16.03.2010 19:15
FTA Satelllite and Additional English Channels cmirsky TV/internet/telephone 16 08.01.2010 13:05
Getting BBC interactive on a FTA receiver Nickj TV/internet/telephone 6 12.04.2007 16:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0