Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 17.01.2013, 13:55
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Another thought. If you've already got a phone option with Cablecom, and cancel it to get one of the new Combi deals, do you keep your old number or do they have to set you up with a new one? Has anyone tried this?
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 17.01.2013, 14:01
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. I'd basically like to keep my current router and peripherals as they are, and just add the Horizon box into the mix as an additional client. The area the Horizon box would be in is too exposed to have loads of additional cables running out from it to the different peripherals, so I'd rather just swap the current satellite receiver with the Horizon box and run one additional cable from the Horizon box back to the current router.
My cabling runs right around 2 sides of my lounge.

I have power, coax cable, rear surround sound speakers, and GigE LAN cable all running the whole way.

I laid the cables in a white plastic duct that you can buy from Obi. The duct sits on the floor against the skirting board. You don't even notice it is there.

I would always recommend using a cabled LAN vs WLAN, as the cabled LAN is much faster and much more reliable.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 17.01.2013, 14:10
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. I'd basically like to keep my current router and peripherals as they are, and just add the Horizon box into the mix as an additional client. The area the Horizon box would be in is too exposed to have loads of additional cables running out from it to the different peripherals, so I'd rather just swap the current satellite receiver with the Horizon box and run one additional cable from the Horizon box back to the current router.
The Horizon box needs to be plugged into a Cablecom socket to receive the TV signal. Do you have internet with Cablecom at the moment? If so: yes, you can keep your modem and just add the Horizon box to the mix. As I had to learn to day, however, activation etc. will take a long time for a setup like that as they have to manually pair the Horizon box with your existing Cablecom modem before they can send it out to you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #144  
Old 17.01.2013, 14:10
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
Another thought. If you've already got a phone option with Cablecom, and cancel it to get one of the new Combi deals, do you keep your old number or do they have to set you up with a new one? Has anyone tried this?
yes, that's no issue. I've switched packages several times over the 4 year's we've been with CC and keeping the number has never been a problem.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dawiz for this useful post:
  #145  
Old 17.01.2013, 14:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 711
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Brooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
The Horizon box needs to be plugged into a Cablecom socket to receive the TV signal. Do you have internet with Cablecom at the moment? If so: yes, you can keep your modem and just add the Horizon box to the mix. As I had to learn to day, however, activation etc. will take a long time for a setup like that as they have to manually pair the Horizon box with your existing Cablecom modem before they can send it out to you.
What if you want to get rid of the existing modem and just use the Horizon box? Is that also possible? If it works well I'd rather get rid of one box.

Maybe I will join the rush and sign up as well. Thanks to everyone for all the feedback about the new service/box.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 17.01.2013, 14:22
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
What if you want to get rid of the existing modem and just use the Horizon box? Is that also possible? If it works well I'd rather get rid of one box.

Maybe I will join the rush and sign up as well. Thanks to everyone for all the feedback about the new service/box.

Dan
I don't know how well it works as I haven't received my box yet (manual processing...). However, yes, the Horizon box is designed to replace the Cable modem and contains a router plus 4 gigabit ethernet ports and a WiFi AP.

Replacing your existing modem with the box is the standard configuration.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 17.01.2013, 15:27
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,004
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,075 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
What if you want to get rid of the existing modem and just use the Horizon box? Is that also possible? If it works well I'd rather get rid of one box.

Maybe I will join the rush and sign up as well. Thanks to everyone for all the feedback about the new service/box.

Dan
I have the box, and it works fine. Will be packing up and old box and old modem in due course.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 17.01.2013, 15:32
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
My cabling runs right around 2 sides of my lounge.

I have power, coax cable, rear surround sound speakers, and GigE LAN cable all running the whole way.

I laid the cables in a white plastic duct that you can buy from Obi. The duct sits on the floor against the skirting board. You don't even notice it is there.

I would always recommend using a cabled LAN vs WLAN, as the cabled LAN is much faster and much more reliable.
It's not so much that, it's more I want to reduce the mess of cabling that's already behind the TV. Running the hardwired peripherals to that area would make the whole mess worse. Plus I use an Apple Time Capsule as the current wireless router plus networked backup device and would need to work out how to stop that being the router but still be a networked backup device. All this is extra hassle compared to just keeping the setup as it is and adding the Horizon box as a new client.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 17.01.2013, 18:20
HP Sauce's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 39
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
HP Sauce has made some interesting contributions
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Horizon arrived this morning. definitely looks swankier.

will probably keep the modem and horizon box separate, partly due to positioning and partly because i would want to turn the modem off independently (e.g. giving it a kick-start, or turning off if i go away whilst keeping the horizon box on for recording).


i also understand that it's possible to receive a free 2nd mediabox for a 2nd tv - a bit of a slimmed down version that provides a limited number of digital channels.

any ideas how this works, considering there is only 1 tv cable wall socket ?
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 17.01.2013, 20:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 711
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Brooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
i also understand that it's possible to receive a free 2nd mediabox for a 2nd tv - a bit of a slimmed down version that provides a limited number of digital channels.

any ideas how this works, considering there is only 1 tv cable wall socket ?
If you can also record with a 2nd box, I'd opt for that for sure! [edit: reread your post, I guess it can't record]

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 17.01.2013, 20:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 711
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 428 Times in 246 Posts
Brooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputationBrooks85 has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
I have the box, and it works fine. Will be packing up and old box and old modem in due course.
Ok, so you can try it with or without the existing modem and then decide? That's good.

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 18.01.2013, 20:58
mpk's Avatar
mpk mpk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zürich, ZH
Posts: 123
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 182 Times in 63 Posts
mpk is considered knowledgeablempk is considered knowledgeablempk is considered knowledgeable
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Installed our Horizon box yesterday as a replacement for the getting-on-a-bit HD recorder. So far it's more infuriating than awesomesauce:

* Buggy as hell if you want to try playing anything via a DLNA server - seems to randomly put the box in a weird state where broadcast stuff suddenly has no sound or, indeed, no video.
* Much-vaunted 3D interface is a usability nightmare. Menus are slow to navigate, and they're so obsessed with OMG OMG 3D GRAPHICS that even things like the recording library represent recorded items as huge icons which you have to select to see what they're actually representing.
* You can't just list recordings as simple text, which would be far saner.
* Multiple episodes of the same programme don't just appear as a list of episode titles. This is essential if you're a parent of a toddler who wants to build up a good collection of episodes of "In the Night Garden" but still be able to recall which one is the particularly gripping episode where Igglepiggle's blanket falls into Makka Pakka's ditch and causes chaos.
* The much-pimped ability to view video remotely via an iOS device or a web browser is actually just the ability to install an app which lets you watch a limited number of channels by streaming them over the 'net. For instance, I watch the cycling on Eurosport HD a lot in the summer - but it's not available on the mobile app. You can't do anything like remotely programming your box to record things, or indeed interact with it at all.

On the other hand, you can zap through channels quickly. Woohoo.

In summary - disappointing. Kind of hoping for a firmware update to fix some of this, but damn, they really didn't do any UX testing on this at all.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank mpk for this useful post:
  #153  
Old 19.01.2013, 06:02
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
Ok, so you can try it with or without the existing modem and then decide?
I don't believe so. If you don't choose the multi-room option when you order the box, they'll disable your old modem 2-3 days after you've received the new box,
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 19.01.2013, 10:37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 390
Groaned at 107 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 211 Times in 120 Posts
Burner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthy
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
Installed our Horizon box yesterday as a replacement for the getting-on-a-bit HD recorder. So far it's more infuriating than awesomesauce:

* Buggy as hell if you want to try playing anything via a DLNA server - seems to randomly put the box in a weird state where broadcast stuff suddenly has no sound or, indeed, no video.
* Much-vaunted 3D interface is a usability nightmare. Menus are slow to navigate, and they're so obsessed with OMG OMG 3D GRAPHICS that even things like the recording library represent recorded items as huge icons which you have to select to see what they're actually representing.
* You can't just list recordings as simple text, which would be far saner.
* Multiple episodes of the same programme don't just appear as a list of episode titles. This is essential if you're a parent of a toddler who wants to build up a good collection of episodes of "In the Night Garden" but still be able to recall which one is the particularly gripping episode where Igglepiggle's blanket falls into Makka Pakka's ditch and causes chaos.
* The much-pimped ability to view video remotely via an iOS device or a web browser is actually just the ability to install an app which lets you watch a limited number of channels by streaming them over the 'net. For instance, I watch the cycling on Eurosport HD a lot in the summer - but it's not available on the mobile app. You can't do anything like remotely programming your box to record things, or indeed interact with it at all.

On the other hand, you can zap through channels quickly. Woohoo.

In summary - disappointing. Kind of hoping for a firmware update to fix some of this, but damn, they really didn't do any UX testing on this at all.
So its a bit manky?

I joined up with them in Dec, and was pissed that a box from Cisco turned up with an EPG from the 80's turned up.

I still want an awesome new box though! They will patch it eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 19.01.2013, 10:42
englishtim's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 220
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 129 Times in 71 Posts
englishtim has made some interesting contributions
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Has anyone figured out how to turn off the annoying music while in the TV guide yet?
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 19.01.2013, 12:09
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,857
Groaned at 1,969 Times in 1,490 Posts
Thanked 34,238 Times in 16,287 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
i also understand that it's possible to receive a free 2nd mediabox for a 2nd tv - a bit of a slimmed down version that provides a limited number of digital channels.

any ideas how this works, considering there is only 1 tv cable wall socket ?
Use an antenna splitter as I do.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #157  
Old 19.01.2013, 13:14
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
i also understand that it's possible to receive a free 2nd mediabox for a 2nd tv - a bit of a slimmed down version that provides a limited number of digital channels.

any ideas how this works, considering there is only 1 tv cable wall socket ?
Very few apartments have only one wall socket.
Many (like mine) have wall sockets in multiple rooms.
I have 2 in my lounge, and one each in each of the 4 bedrooms.

BUT if you do only have one socket, then your options are
a) get further sockets installed where desired, or (if too much like hard work)
b) fit a T-splitter to the existing socket and run a cable to each location.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FriendlyKiwi for this useful post:
  #158  
Old 19.01.2013, 13:15
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,784
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone figured out how to turn off the annoying music while in the TV guide yet?
What you hear when in the TV guide is the audio track of the current channel

Change channels, or turn the volume down, or hit the mute button
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 19.01.2013, 16:12
Ed Pummelon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 763
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 202 Posts
Ed Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of manyEd Pummelon has earned the respect of many
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

Anyone worked out yet how to forward a single port on the router rather than a range? I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious...

The menu under Advanced -> Options -> Forwarding only lets you input a Public and Target port range, it throws an error if you enter a single port number.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 19.01.2013, 16:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: UPC Cablecom - NEW HD Box Launching in 2012

The majority of older apartments all have 1 socket. If if Cablecom knows whats good for them then they should offer free installation of additional sockets!
Quote:
View Post
Very few apartments have only one wall socket.
Many (like mine) have wall sockets in multiple rooms.
I have 2 in my lounge, and one each in each of the 4 bedrooms.

BUT if you do only have one socket, then your options are
a) get further sockets installed where desired, or (if too much like hard work)
b) fit a T-splitter to the existing socket and run a cable to each location.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cablecom, high definition, television, upc




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New HD Channels on Cablecom! Shiny TV/internet/telephone 0 05.11.2010 12:23
Cablecom UPC mediabox HD digital recorder V__ TV/internet/telephone 3 19.09.2010 10:08
Sony DVD recorder and Cablecom HD box... gzhpcu TV/internet/telephone 6 26.01.2010 16:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0