Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.01.2012, 14:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: France
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Rock has no particular reputation at present
just internet at home

Hi guys!

I just arrived in Switzerland and I realized that having internet at home is not as simple as it looks...

I am placed in Lausanne, and I would like to have internet at home. I don't want a fix phone, just internet. Nevertheless, it seems that with ADSL I need to pay, a part from the internet price, the telephone line to Swisscom. That is to say, 25 CHF.
Then I checked cablecom, which you just have to pay 30CHF to have internet and you don't have to pay the 25CHF to have the telephone line from SwissCom.
However, you have to pay 27CHF to have cable access at home.

What is the cheapest way to have JUST internet at home in Switzerland???

If I also want to watch the normal TV, not digital one, do I also have to pay the 27CHF to receive the TV at home???

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The Rock for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 23.01.2012, 15:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

Use the search function.

PS: you have no choice, you must pay either phone line 26chf something or TV line (26chf something).
Best for you is internet with citycable.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.01.2012, 17:40
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 63 Posts
acd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeable
Re: just internet at home

I'm in the same situation as you. Just moved here and was hoping to be able to get "naked DSL"...however there is a slight work-around with Swisscom.

If you have a mobile phone subscription with them, and the per month rate is over CHF 26, you aren't required to get a fixed line.

So I'll probably get their DSL + NATEL PRO package.

I've also placed an inquiry to VTX which is based in Pully. They are offering the same speed internet (20,000/2,000) as Swisscom but at CHF 38/mo. including modem rental. Whether I can get it as a package with an Orange mobile phone (as VTX is a reseller for Orange) we shall see. Really disinterested in a fixed line.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Cablecom is a no go for my address in Lausanne...don't know about yours.
P.P.S. I'm foregoing TV altogether and just using the internet for media content.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank acd483 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.01.2012, 17:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
I'm in the same situation as you. Just moved here and was hoping to be able to get "naked DSL"...however there is a slight work-around with Swisscom.

If you have a mobile phone subscription with them, and the per month rate is over CHF 26, you aren't required to get a fixed line.

So I'll probably get their DSL + NATEL PRO package.

I've also placed an inquiry to VTX which is based in Pully. They are offering the same speed internet (20,000/2,000) as Swisscom but at CHF 38/mo. including modem rental. Whether I can get it as a package with an Orange mobile phone (as VTX is a reseller for Orange) we shall see. Really disinterested in a fixed line.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Cablecom is a no go for my address in Lausanne...don't know about yours.
P.P.S. I'm foregoing TV altogether and just using the internet for media content.
so why not citycable?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.01.2012, 18:02
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 247
Groaned at 6 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts
dustyfrog has no particular reputation at present
Re: just internet at home

Keep in mind, that the phone line or cable line costs might be included in the nebenkosten of your rent... If you are renting might worth asking the landlord. By me its part of my rent.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dustyfrog for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 24.01.2012, 09:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

Also, unless your "tv cable plug" is leaded, you already paying for it...
check your Electricity bill...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.01.2012, 09:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,381
Groaned at 61 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,906 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
Also, unless your "tv cable plug" is leaded, you already paying for it...
check your Electricity bill...
If you don't subscribe to the cable (because you have limited interest in TV beyond what you can get via Zattoo and BT), you can ask your landlord and they'll cancel your subscription (and may or may not have the connectors sealed).
Saves me about 300CHF per year, IIRC.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.01.2012, 09:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: France
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Rock has no particular reputation at present
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
I'm in the same situation as you. Just moved here and was hoping to be able to get "naked DSL"...however there is a slight work-around with Swisscom.

If you have a mobile phone subscription with them, and the per month rate is over CHF 26, you aren't required to get a fixed line.

So I'll probably get their DSL + NATEL PRO package.

I've also placed an inquiry to VTX which is based in Pully. They are offering the same speed internet (20,000/2,000) as Swisscom but at CHF 38/mo. including modem rental. Whether I can get it as a package with an Orange mobile phone (as VTX is a reseller for Orange) we shall see. Really disinterested in a fixed line.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Cablecom is a no go for my address in Lausanne...don't know about yours.
P.P.S. I'm foregoing TV altogether and just using the internet for media content.
Hey yeah nice offer! I didn't know about it.
I have been checking and it looks like a nice deal.
Nevertheless, with citycable (in lausanne) it's cheaper as you pay 27 + 30 = 57 CHF monthly for the internet + HD TV with so many international channels. Which is good for me too.
Now I have to check if it works in my apartment...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The Rock for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 24.01.2012, 09:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: France
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Rock has no particular reputation at present
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
Also, unless your "tv cable plug" is leaded, you already paying for it...
check your Electricity bill...
Is something I have to check, but the electricity is not included in my montly fees, therefore I 'll have to pay for it. But I'll check anyway...
Cheers !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The Rock for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 24.01.2012, 09:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
If you don't subscribe to the cable (because you have limited interest in TV beyond what you can get via Zattoo and BT), you can ask your landlord and they'll cancel your subscription (and may or may not have the connectors sealed).
Saves me about 300CHF per year, IIRC.
exactly... thats why I was saying "if it's not leaded"...
So your's leaded-

They'll unlead it for free if you subscribe to them. (although in the contract it says it has to be leaded for a minimal duration, they don't mind).

I switched from Sunrise to them, what a pleasure now!
Also you get only 1 bill, along with electricity bill...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 24.01.2012, 09:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: France
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Rock has no particular reputation at present
Re: just internet at home

with citycable?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The Rock for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 24.01.2012, 09:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
with citycable?
Yes city cable...

http://citycable.ch/abonnements/internet/2/
they're also "lausanne city" owned, and therefore the bill is also on the electricity bill... (Service de l'électricité, and service multimédia).

So you get a decent cable modem, decent internet, 1 bill, etc...

And it works much much better than sunrise adsl... no skype disconnections, fast, etc...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.01.2012, 10:23
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,888
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

Aldi supermarket have pre-paid mobile tariff based on Sunrise,

http://www.aldi-mobile.ch/?WT.z_src=main

For mobile Internet they also sell pre-paid "SURF2GO Surf Stick"

https://www.aldi-mobile.ch/angebote/...urf-stick.html

both can be reloaded at SBB machines, at Aldi shops, or online www.aldi.ch

I imagine you can avoid the Billag if you don't buy the Internet device in Switzerland.

https://en.comparis.ch/comparis/pres...efonieren.aspx
Cheap offers are available at several retailers: the cheapest for most customers is probably the prepaid offer from Aldi; no matter if mobile Internet is used or not.

.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 24.01.2012, 10:33
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 63 Posts
acd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeable
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
Yes city cable...

http://citycable.ch/abonnements/internet/2/
they're also "lausanne city" owned, and therefore the bill is also on the electricity bill... (Service de l'électricité, and service multimédia).

So you get a decent cable modem, decent internet, 1 bill, etc...

And it works much much better than sunrise adsl... no skype disconnections, fast, etc...
CorsebouTheReturn, thank you very much for the info...I will contact CityCable to see what kind of service they can provide for me.

At my apartment, I have access to a "public" wifi hotspot for free. Could this be one of the CityCable ones? I ask because I see on their site a list of public hotspots, however there isn't one labeled near my apartment. Perhaps it could be an outdated list or perhaps it's not one of theirs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank acd483 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 24.01.2012, 10:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 4,552
Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
CorsebouTheReturn, thank you very much for the info...I will contact CityCable to see what kind of service they can provide for me.

At my apartment, I have access to a "public" wifi hotspot for free. Could this be one of the CityCable ones? I ask because I see on their site a list of public hotspots, however there isn't one labeled near my apartment. Perhaps it could be an outdated list or perhaps it's not one of theirs.
I would avoid any "public" or "free" internet network like a plague...
Usually it's only a trap to monitor you...

Although it's true the city has some free hotspots, but again i'm not so sure about security- I connected to them for basics, but I would not do anything secure (epayment, banks, emails, etc...) on them.


http://www.lausanne.ch/view.asp?domId=64275&Language=E
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 24.01.2012, 12:34
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 63 Posts
acd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeable
Re: just internet at home

Quote:
View Post
I would avoid any "public" or "free" internet network like a plague...
Usually it's only a trap to monitor you...

Although it's true the city has some free hotspots, but again i'm not so sure about security- I connected to them for basics, but I would not do anything secure (epayment, banks, emails, etc...) on them.


http://www.lausanne.ch/view.asp?domId=64275&Language=E
Excellent advice. I use an IP cloaking VPN service to protect my security and my laptop's security, but totally agree...nothing in life is free. Proceed with caution...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank acd483 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 25.01.2012, 14:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Akos084 has no particular reputation at present
Re: just internet at home

I had the same problem. then asked around the neighbors who could share the net via WiFi...
now they have a neatly configured wireless network and I have an access point to reach the internet...
costs...~100 Chf hardware, 20 Chf monthly...

So just look around if there are any students living nearby...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Akos084 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 25.01.2012, 16:23
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,613
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 883 Times in 579 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just internet at home

There are several side costs in Switzerland for getting the internet via phone line. One has to buy a phone, also for WiFi one has to buy the Router can be expensive in Switzerland, if you are yet to arrive Switzerland you might think about bringing these with you, particularly the Router.
We got a router via ricardo. Swisscom charged X amount for the connection, I think around 50 but do not have the paperwork to hand. Swisscom would have charged something like 150 or 250 if we needed one of their people to set it up for us, but my OH is a technician so able to do it. After placing the order they gave us a date 2 weeks in advance for the connections.
On the date, we could not connect and then found although the landlord told us there was a connection, it was not in our apartment, but another part of the house, so then had to get an electrician to do the job. To get a lower price searched for a local Electrician and did not say it was urgent. Think he came the next day just after his lunch and price very reasonably/friendly for Switzerland. If we had gone to main town it would have been high, as then would have pay travelling time etc.
It is something that we will bear in mind when leaving the apartment as a bargaining tool.

We had originally got annual contract for mobile/dongle with Swisscom for chf 59.00 a month. 40 for the sim and 1 for the dongle, unfortunately we do not have speed where we are. Phoned Swisscom and they said we could return within 14 days and we got the chf41.00 back for the sim/dongle no problem.
We have a pay as you go Orange dongle, but again do not have reception where we are, so extremely slow.

Happy to finally get the fast internet via the phone line. The lan-line phone is rarely used
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank moggy for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 25.01.2012, 16:34
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 165
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 63 Posts
acd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeableacd483 is considered knowledgeable
Re: just internet at home

Just got off the phone with CityCable. Good news is that they have my building in their system already and it could take only 3-5 days to setup the internet.

Downside is that you must get television with them, in fact he informed me that I am probably already paying for it. So I agree with The Rock, for CHF 57 I can get high speed internet and digital TV. Fine enough.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank acd483 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 02.02.2012, 16:03
ensurancer's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ensurancer has no particular reputation at present
Re: just internet at home

I had the same problem. then asked around the neighbors who could share the net via WiFi...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ensurancer for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you get month to month Internet service at home? Swisstobe TV/internet/telephone 4 16.07.2010 16:00
Help needed setting up internet at home Brit_Kt TV/internet/telephone 21 17.08.2009 01:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0