Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #861  
Old 23.01.2017, 19:56
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 9,965
Groaned at 149 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 13,967 Times in 5,666 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Netflix

A series of unfortunate events.

I've read the books, seen the film and wept over this production. Truly wonderful stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #862  
Old 24.01.2017, 22:56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Francis Peter has no particular reputation at present
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

WHY WHY WHY is the Netflix CH content so limited compared to the UK and US? Same with Amazon video, I thought streaming services were meant to do away with license restrictions!
Reply With Quote
  #863  
Old 24.01.2017, 23:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,893
Groaned at 58 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,527 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
WHY WHY WHY is the Netflix CH content so limited compared to the UK and US? Same with Amazon video, I thought streaming services were meant to do away with license restrictions!
Are you serious?
It's the opposite. They were invented to maximize revenue for the license-holders.

Previously, physical media could at least be transported out of country (e.g. vacation). With streaming, you can't do that anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #864  
Old 25.01.2017, 10:31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 401
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 82 Posts
naza has no particular reputation at present
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
Are you serious?
It's the opposite. They were invented to maximize revenue for the license-holders.

Previously, physical media could at least be transported out of country (e.g. vacation). With streaming, you can't do that anymore.
Actually for netflix created content (think House of Cards) there should not be any copyright restriction (if Netflix so desires) and it ties directly into their business model. The more subscribers the better

For "studio" owned content copyright is enforced
Reply With Quote
  #865  
Old 25.01.2017, 11:26
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 18,279
Groaned at 304 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 13,451 Times in 7,714 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
Actually for netflix created content (think House of Cards) there should not be any copyright restriction (if Netflix so desires) and it ties directly into their business model. The more subscribers the better

For "studio" owned content copyright is enforced
But again, this could depend on whether or not they've sold the programme to other countries for either terrestrial or digital broadcast. Don't know exactly how they work it, but for example was "Ripper Street" series 4 available on Amazon Prime at the same time the series was being shown on BBC1? Same for "Black Sails", season 4 is about to start on Amazon Prime, but is season 3 available as that's soon to be shown on the History Channel? I know both premier on Amazon, but I'm thinking more of the box sets for download or generally - are they available when the other channels are showing those seasons?
Reply With Quote
  #866  
Old 25.01.2017, 11:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 401
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 82 Posts
naza has no particular reputation at present
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
But again, this could depend on whether or not they've sold the programme to other countries for either terrestrial or digital broadcast. Don't know exactly how they work it, but for example was "Ripper Street" series 4 available on Amazon Prime at the same time the series was being shown on BBC1? Same for "Black Sails", season 4 is about to start on Amazon Prime, but is season 3 available as that's soon to be shown on the History Channel? I know both premier on Amazon, but I'm thinking more of the box sets for download or generally - are they available when the other channels are showing those seasons?
the question was about Netflix.

To clarify for Netflix created content which is proprietary to them they can make it available or not - it is completely up to them. As long as you can subscribe to Netflix in a specific country Netflix created content is available (if you have an example of a Netflix production that is not available in Switzerland please share it)

For content that Netflix licenses it will obviously depend on the license agreement per country ex: Game of Thrones is not available worldwide via Netflix because it is an HBO production.

I agree copyright laws are probably a thing of the past but such is life
Reply With Quote
  #867  
Old 25.01.2017, 12:57
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,735
Groaned at 45 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,643 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
the question was about Netflix.

To clarify for Netflix created content which is proprietary to them they can make it available or not - it is completely up to them. As long as you can subscribe to Netflix in a specific country Netflix created content is available (if you have an example of a Netflix production that is not available in Switzerland please share it)

For content that Netflix licenses it will obviously depend on the license agreement per country ex: Game of Thrones is not available worldwide via Netflix because it is an HBO production.

I agree copyright laws are probably a thing of the past but such is life
A little snotty, Naza.

Not sure what point you are arguing here. Yes Netflix made stuff is generally always available just as a lot of Amazon Originals were made available for "viewing abroad" without the need of a VPN.

AFAIK however, the latest season of Netflix's flagship series House of Cards took its sweet time coming to CH.

Copyright laws are massively important. Create something that could generate a lot of income, then see that income slide right out of view... no thank you. Online streaming is still relatively new and niche but times they are a-changing. The other week Christina Ricci was on a national talkshow promoting her new... Prime series Z. I've not seen that since Spacey put his money where his Netflix mouth is. And lots of people thought he was daft then I'm sure. But it paid off.
Reply With Quote
  #868  
Old 25.01.2017, 13:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 401
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 128 Times in 82 Posts
naza has no particular reputation at present
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
A little snotty, Naza.

Not sure what point you are arguing here. Yes Netflix made stuff is generally always available just as a lot of Amazon Originals were made available for "viewing abroad" without the need of a VPN.

AFAIK however, the latest season of Netflix's flagship series House of Cards took its sweet time coming to CH.

Copyright laws are massively important. Create something that could generate a lot of income, then see that income slide right out of view... no thank you. Online streaming is still relatively new and niche but times they are a-changing. The other week Christina Ricci was on a national talkshow promoting her new... Prime series Z. I've not seen that since Spacey put his money where his Netflix mouth is. And lots of people thought he was daft then I'm sure. But it paid off.
wasn't my intention to be snotty, only to add clarification that there is a distinction in how content is delivered/available depending on who owns the content - that was my point

Regarding your point about copyright laws being important.... frankly I believe they are a thing of the past and given the way business models and delivery channels have changed in the last 20 years they should be revised. Its absolutely ridiculous I can't buy some movies on iTunes because I registered my account with a Swiss credit card. It's not Apple's fault, it's the fact we enforce laws that have not adapted to today's day and age...

Obviously there is no data to back me up but if you get rid of copyright laws I would expect much less piracy that what currently exists. Just look here in EF and search how many people ask how to d/l and use torrents... you'll also find quite a few people stating they'd be willing to pay for content but they are unable to so they resort to piracy

Anyway this if completely off topic and I don't want to derail this any further
Reply With Quote
  #869  
Old 25.01.2017, 17:49
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,735
Groaned at 45 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,643 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
wasn't my intention to be snotty, only to add clarification that there is a distinction in how content is delivered/available depending on who owns the content - that was my point

Regarding your point about copyright laws being important.... frankly I believe they are a thing of the past and given the way business models and delivery channels have changed in the last 20 years they should be revised. Its absolutely ridiculous I can't buy some movies on iTunes because I registered my account with a Swiss credit card. It's not Apple's fault, it's the fact we enforce laws that have not adapted to today's day and age...

Obviously there is no data to back me up but if you get rid of copyright laws I would expect much less piracy that what currently exists. Just look here in EF and search how many people ask how to d/l and use torrents... you'll also find quite a few people stating they'd be willing to pay for content but they are unable to so they resort to piracy

Anyway this if completely off topic and I don't want to derail this any further

I think you're confusing a license to broadcast with copyright. But anyhew...

No Offence is back on Channel 4 and it's fantastic . Episode 4 is on tonight and Series one is available as a box set on 4OD. Genius stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #870  
Old 26.01.2017, 21:08
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,253
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,140 Times in 1,708 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Homeland got off to a good start. Rupert Friend is simply marvelous.. could watch him all day

Dennis Quaid is in the second series of Fortitude, which begins tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #871  
Old 30.01.2017, 08:04
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 18,279
Groaned at 304 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 13,451 Times in 7,714 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

New MacGuyver series about to start (22nd Feb Sky 1). Sounds like it's not worth it.

"MacGyver has received generally negative reviews from television critics, with many comparing it poorly to the original and some praising and criticizing CBS for making it an updated show. Variety wrote: "Lucas Tillís performance as the title character misses the mark completely; even when MacGyver explains the contraptions he builds on the fly via voiceovers, Tillís delivery is wooden and clunky. The writing doesnít help ó the pilot script is full of silly plot short-cuts and painfully cheesy lines ó but thereís no getting around the fact that the new version of the character has very little appeal.... George Eads does what he can to bring a bit of energy to the MacGyver spy crew, but itís a futile effort. MacGyver may know a lot about chemistry, but this unmemorable team has none."[34]

USA Today wrote: "If... youíre looking for something approaching the originalís simple DIY charms ó or, for that matter, something even marginally original ó look elsewhere. What you're getting here is a factory-made retread that is less MacGyver than MacGyver: Impossible, with the title character now just one member of an impossible mission team.... MacGyver may not fully engage you, but at least it won't actively annoy you."[35]

IGN's verdict was: "CBS' MacGyver is an unnecessary, middling reboot that has little to offer - its biggest sin being a bland hero and eye-rolling stakes. Lifting more than a few swerves from the Mission Impossible franchise, this new MacGyver somehow even manages to make the science gimmick dull."[36]

Rotten Tomatoes shows a 25% "rotten" rating with the sites critical consensus reading, "Despite using spare parts from countless successful TV procedurals, the new MacGyver fails to cobble together a compelling show."[37] Similarly, Metacritic shows a score of 38 out of 100, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".[38]

Movie Pilot was more positive, commending Till's performance while noting that the show does a good job of "maintaining the essence of the original while appealing to a modern generation".[39]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGyver_(2016_TV_series)
Reply With Quote
  #872  
Old 30.01.2017, 14:01
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,735
Groaned at 45 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,643 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

They remade Macguyver? Why oh why? I used to love Richard Dean Anderson in all his mulleted pseudo--pacifist, alfalfa-eating glory...

*goes off to have little weep*




The new series of SHIELD is rather violent I must say... that's another one I can't watch until our resident Small Person goes to bed. And why is Johnny Blaze now Robbie? Or did I miss something obvious? And I suspect Ada is going to be trouble.
Reply With Quote
  #873  
Old 02.02.2017, 15:10
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 18,279
Groaned at 304 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 13,451 Times in 7,714 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Gee, kept that quiet. New detective coming in for "Death in Paradise" tonight.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38839073
Reply With Quote
  #874  
Old 02.02.2017, 18:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zug
Posts: 18
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
AlNik has no particular reputation at present
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Has anybody watched It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 12 yet? I was a huge fan, but then they disappointed me a bit in Season 11. Is it worth the time?
Reply With Quote
  #875  
Old 08.02.2017, 23:34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SwissCarol has no particular reputation at present
With Netflix, even with their own content, they are still tied into deals with other broadcasters. I know House of Cards is one big frustration for people, OITNB is another.

I believe Netflix plan to show everything, everywhere so as to minimise piracy but so far it hasn't transpired.

I forgot my recommendation, I have been addicted to Rectify recently. Wonderful show and definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 13.02.2017 at 15:54. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #876  
Old 09.02.2017, 00:10
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,735
Groaned at 45 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,643 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Did anyone catch Emerald City. Not sure about it based upon the pilot. It looks amazing, as all of Tarsem Singh's stuff does but... from a plot point of view it was a bit of a car crash.
Reply With Quote
  #877  
Old 09.02.2017, 18:40
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 813
Groaned at 136 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 643 Times in 306 Posts
Troublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthy
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

The OA, as good as Stranger things. Both Netflix.
Reply With Quote
  #878  
Old 09.02.2017, 19:21
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,253
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,140 Times in 1,708 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
The OA, as good as Stranger things. Both Netflix.
Great news: The OA series 2 was confirmed by Netflix today. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote
  #879  
Old 09.02.2017, 19:41
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 2,735
Groaned at 45 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,643 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
The OA, as good as Stranger things. Both Netflix.
Quote:
View Post
Great news: The OA series 2 was confirmed by Netflix today. Can't wait!
I need to give it another go, clearly. I found the main character disconnected... but perhaps that's the point? I can't wait to binge watch Stranger Things. There. Is. No. Time...
Reply With Quote
  #880  
Old 09.02.2017, 19:52
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 2,253
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,140 Times in 1,708 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: good TV series recomendations..... ?

Quote:
View Post
I need to give it another go, clearly. I found the main character disconnected... but perhaps that's the point? I can't wait to binge watch Stranger Things. There. Is. No. Time...
I binge watched the OA.. couldn't stop. She is quite something, very engaging.. mesmerizing character. Great actress. Yes, give it another go. Super story.

Stranger things is just magic.

I watched travelers based on your recommendation and yes, it's very good, really liked it. My fav character was Grace
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downloading TV Series in Switzerland? jbo TV/internet/telephone 23 17.12.2013 20:17
Which US TV Series is as good as The Wire? Caviarchips General off-topic 64 23.04.2013 10:39
TV Series discussed mark General off-topic 923 06.08.2012 20:36
TV Series DVDs for Sale rikki Items for sale 2 17.05.2010 15:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0