Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.04.2012, 01:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 57
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
mr. Anderson has annoyed a few people around heremr. Anderson has annoyed a few people around here
Free television in Switzerland - solution

Recently I asked here about possibility to have free or cheap TV channels. I have found a solution.

You need:
- Homе WiFi network
- IPad or IPhone
- Apple TV box connected to TV with HDMI cable
- Installed Teleboy application on iPhone/iPad

With this application you can see many channels for free or you iPhone/iPad. Apple TV allows you wirelessly watch it on your TV

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.04.2012, 10:38
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,219
Groaned at 311 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

So its not free you need the internet!!!

Also have you added your compulsory billag subscription as you have the ability to view TV regardless of whether this is via the internet or otherwiise you now need to subscribe
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.04.2012, 11:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 57
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
mr. Anderson has annoyed a few people around heremr. Anderson has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

Quote:
View Post
So its not free you need the internet!!!

Also have you added your compulsory billag subscription as you have the ability to view TV regardless of whether this is via the internet or otherwiise you now need to subscribe
Men learn to read.
Television itself absolutely free.
Yes, you right. If you want to watch it you need to born on earth, come to switzerland, rent or buy an apartment, buy television set, iPad, apple tv, subscribe internet, buy and setup wifi network, buy chair for you and table for TV set and finally pay for electricity, internet, billag and bill for water which you use when go to the toilet between ads on your tv shows.

But television itself absolutely costless.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.04.2012, 11:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

If you really don't want to buy a TV set, getting normal digital TV thingie and a normal monitor (cheaper than iPad) and it works. I got it installed years ago, works wonderful, but the financial advantage is minimal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.04.2012, 11:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 57
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
mr. Anderson has annoyed a few people around heremr. Anderson has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

Quote:
View Post
If you really don't want to buy a TV set, getting normal digital TV thingie and a normal monitor (cheaper than iPad) and it works. I got it installed years ago, works wonderful, but the financial advantage is minimal.
Agree, it is also good desision.
Case above gives you just more higher resolution and big picture. And as advantage you can use iPhone as remote control device. It looks like usual television but you don't need any subscriptions.
Of course it make sense only for person who have all of this stuff
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.04.2012, 11:59
jeroen's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich to Ticino
Posts: 254
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 188 Times in 101 Posts
jeroen is considered knowledgeablejeroen is considered knowledgeablejeroen is considered knowledgeable
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

Quote:
View Post
So its not free you need the internet!!!

Also have you added your compulsory billag subscription as you have the ability to view TV regardless of whether this is via the internet or otherwiise you now need to subscribe
While Billag makes you think you need to pay in that case but it is not was is written in the law, which describes the ability to receive of tv and/of radio signals for the Swiss tv and/or radio programs, it does not state anything about the internet (which did not even exist when that text was made) or for that matter the reception of programs (which would mean any method of transmission would fall under it). Billag does try to make people pa when they have internet, nut yo do not have to, you are only required to pay when you have devices able to receive radio and/or tv signals... The internet per se thus does not count, even if they put it in their brochures...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.04.2012, 12:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

Quote:
View Post
The internet per se thus does not count, even if they put it in their brochures...
Then please fight it in a Swiss court. We'll love to thank you after you've won that battle.

Quote:
View Post
But television itself absolutely costless.
With your system, there is no subscription to any provider or digital- TV system or what ever, right?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.04.2012, 12:25
jeroen's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich to Ticino
Posts: 254
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 188 Times in 101 Posts
jeroen is considered knowledgeablejeroen is considered knowledgeablejeroen is considered knowledgeable
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

Quote:
View Post
Then please fight it in a Swiss court. We'll love to thank you after you've won that battle.
I don't have to fight this in court as I have nicely explained this to the gentlemen from billag who came to my door and then he left never to be heared of again.

Note that I do not own any equipment which could receive radio or TV signals and I also do not have an active cable connection, as such under the wording of the law I do not have to pay any fees.

Now if Billag would go to court and force that "having the internet" also means that you would need to pay these fees, then I would have to, but by the time they have done that likely Billag will have been included into the tax system anyway and with the overhead that Billag is costing it will be so tiny that I can't care aout it.

Last edited by jeroen; 15.04.2012 at 12:26. Reason: Close the quote
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jeroen for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 15.04.2012, 12:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

Quote:
View Post
I don't have to fight this in court as I have nicely explained this to the gentlemen from billag who came to my door and then he left never to be heared of again.

Note that I do not own any equipment which could receive radio or TV signals and I also do not have an active cable connection, as such under the wording of the law I do not have to pay any fees.

Now if Billag would go to court and force that "having the internet" also means that you would need to pay these fees, then I would have to, but by the time they have done that likely Billag will have been included into the tax system anyway and with the overhead that Billag is costing it will be so tiny that I can't care aout it.
Ditto.

When asked, I wrote to Billag explaining that we neither had a television nor subscribed to an on-line television service.

We have never been questioned again.

(We pay radio tax, and so are indeed in the system.)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 15.04.2012, 17:10
Mica's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 936
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,199 Times in 534 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

Quote:
View Post
While Billag makes you think you need to pay in that case but it is not was is written in the law, which describes the ability to receive of tv and/of radio signals for the Swiss tv and/or radio programs, it does not state anything about the internet (which did not even exist when that text was made) or for that matter the reception of programs (which would mean any method of transmission would fall under it). Billag does try to make people pa when they have internet, nut yo do not have to, you are only required to pay when you have devices able to receive radio and/or tv signals... The internet per se thus does not count, even if they put it in their brochures...
No. The Billag only requires you to pay if you have internet access, the software to view programs and have subscription or a free registration to view TV (e.g. Wilmaa, Blick.tv, Zatoo). http://www.billag.ch/web/de/fragen_u...en/geraet.html

The Federal Law on TV and Radio is from 2006 (I am guessing that internet already existed then) but in any event the law is technology neutral in that it does not differentiate how you get the TV signal (whether cable, satellite, antenna or internet) but only whether you have a device capable of receiving a TV signal.
__________________
Liability for any statements hereinabove excluded! - Need a Swiss lawyer PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15.04.2012, 22:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 478
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 247 Times in 148 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: Free television in Switzerland - solution

computer+internet+software: then you need to pay.

J’ai un ordinateur avec accès à Internet. Dois-je annoncer la réception de programmes de radio et/ou de télévision?
La loi prévoit que toute personne disposant d’un appareil techniquement en mesure de capter des programmes est assujettie à l’obligation de le déclarer et de payer les redevances. Les ordinateurs avec accès à Internet tombent sous le coup de cette obligation, pour autant que certaines conditions soient remplies (le fait que les appareils soient effectivement utilisés pour capter des programmes n’a, d’un point de vue légal, aucune importance).
/
I have a computer with Internet access. I announce the reception of radio and / or television?
The law provides that anyone with a camera technically able to capture programs is subject to the obligation to report and pay royalties.Computers with Internet access fall under this obligation, provided that certain conditions are met (the fact that the devices are actually used to capture programs has, to a legal point of view, irrelevant).
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide to Television Reception in Switzerland Lob TV/internet/telephone 1 05.10.2008 19:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0